Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas and OU want to join the SEC

45,528 Views | 301 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rgag12
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

FWIW- I am hearing this is being considered by top SEC brass in a very serious way. Usually they shoot these rumors down immediately but the silence today is a bit deafening.

No one here believes you.
taylorswift13
AG
Aston04
AG
83Aggie said:

UF, SC, Missouri, UK, UGA would all cast no votes if A&M wanted support. Those are the schools protecting their state turf to remain the only SEC Player in their respective states. You need 3/4 of members votes for admission. Arkansas would likely join the voting block also.
yeah. But at 16 the sec is full anyway.. That interest wouldn't be as big a deal at that point. Really just would depend how much sway a&m has with member schools. Only other definite no vote I think would be arky.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
AvidAggie said:

rootube said:

cavscout96 said:

rootube said:

I have no idea what the rules are regarding adding members but I would imagine every other SEC team except us would be happy to add both tu and OU if not solely for the mountain of cash it would generate. My guess is that the only way this happens is if it's orchestrated by by ESPN, because the longhorn network seems like a major sticking point.
from what sources would this "mountain" come?

SEC already has the Texas TV market.

SEC network is already in every home that has the LHN.

What is the value-added?

OMG the reverse sliver argument. tu and OU are incredibly valuable programs in a re-alignment world if that is what this is. Saying otherwise is as naive as horn was back in the day.

Agree. Like it or not tu has a National following.
The only school that has a "national" following is Notre Dame. Any assertion otherwise is nonsense.
e=mc2
AG
cdowl38
AG
Why would Missouri need to protect their turf? They are the only power 5 school in their state.
wbt5845
AG
e=mc2 said:

His source apparently can't read.
cdowl38
AG
e=mc2 said:

*3.1.2 Granting of Membership. Membership may be granted by invitation of the Conference at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least three-fourths of the members is required to extend an invitation for membership. [Revised: 5/30/91] [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

SEC Constitution
dcg4403
AG
SEC Champs said:

HDeathstar said:

Article to offset our one good ESPN article and also on our media day. Now news will talk about tu and us vs just us. Timing as always.
Just like the Sark hire the day we won the Orange Bowl. ****ers.

What's the "good ESPN article"? Please share so we can focus our energy on something worth while rather than TUs weak attempt to steal news. I agree...fake news and no way in hell this happens anytime soon.
wisdom
AG
boring
monarch
S
And if people don't know about tu, A&M will be ready to tell them.
Peace for Ukraine!
longeryak
Jbob04 said:

Fake news. OU has the easiest path to the playoff every year. No way they would want to join. Lol, no conference will want tu. Everyone knows how toxic and selfish they are now.
12 playoff slots? No need win a CCG anymore.
whytho987654
Yeah if tu and ou get into the sec the future of the football program is not as bright. Those saying they don't add value to the sec are delusional, they both bring in serious cash, which is a concern. Schools like vandy, Ut, bama, state I could see voting yes
longeryak
Texmexag said:

Makes no sense with expansion of playoff. They can virtually assure they both in almost every year
With 12 slots you no longer need to win a conference to be in the playoffs.
Bryanisbest
AG
I predicted this shortly after we joined and was ripped on here for it. Bumping thread now.
TxAG#2011
Bryanisbest said:

I predicted this shortly after we joined and was ripped on here for it. Bumping thread now.
Literally nobody cares you predicted it.
Ag In Ok
AG
cdowl38 said:

e=mc2 said:

*3.1.2 Granting of Membership. Membership may be granted by invitation of the Conference at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least three-fourths of the members is required to extend an invitation for membership. [Revised: 5/30/91] [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

SEC Constitution

No: A&M, LSU, Mizz, Jawja
Likely no: Arkie, bama, flawda, SCAR, Tenn, KY
Indifferent: auburn, vandy, state, ole miss
Likely yes:
Yes:

Don't see it happening. All made up in my brain though.
longeryak
83Aggie said:

UF, SC, Missouri, UK, UGA would all cast no votes if A&M wanted support. Those are the schools protecting their state turf to remain the only SEC Player in their respective states. You need 3/4 of members votes for admission. Arkansas would likely join the voting block also.
The pigs and MU have sucked since losing Texas recruiting pipelines and would be ecstatic for a chance to rekindle those. Still trying to figure what team the second team is in either GA or KY is that the SEC would consider. I'm guessing those two would take the extra revenue over blocking????
RoadkillBBQ
Ervin Burrell said:

BrayK15 said:

Won't happen. Each school must vote on expansion, i.e. each school has a veto. A&M alone could prevent either school from joining, which I assume we would gladly do.
I don't think it has to be unanimous but your point remains...don't see any way either school has enough votes (75%?).

Seems it would be relatively easy to form an alliance with LSU, Florida and SC on votes. LSU recruits the Houston market well, Florida has no interest in ever seeing another Florida school like Florida St join. SC doesn't want Clemson in. They all have interests in supporting A&M with a no vote. And Arkansas and Mizz would vote no just on past history.
JJxvi
AG
Texas and Oklahoma joining the conference could potentially elevate those programs. Possibly at our expense.

On the other hand, from our perspective it would also be a demonstration of what we have been considering a line in the sand in terms of our competition in our state. No longer would it be just a disputed argument whether Texas A&M is the only school in the state in a real league...it would actually become crystal clear that Texas and Texas A&M were the only schools in the state that played in a real league.
hunter2012
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Funny how this came out during A&Ms SEC day
They always pull sh*t like this.
The Lost
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ would make this pass in a heart beat.

Disney will pay for a marquee match up weekly with ou/tx getting new rivals with a&m/lsu, plus sprinkling in the rest of the conference there is a marquee game in some fashion every week.

Weeks 2,4,11 and 12 would love one of those games this year.

Other teams listed will all roll over in a heart beat when that $$$ number is announced as it will be insane.
Dominion Caracas Branch
hunter2012 said:

West Point Aggie said:

Funny how this came out during A&Ms SEC day
They always pull sh*t like this.

This. Typical whorn pr tactics.
DOG XO 84
AG
levypantsEOY said:

STCLaggie21 said:

I can think of three HELL no's: us, mizzou, and arkansas. I'd bet LSU says no as well. Under no circumstances should we NOT fight tooth and nail to deny them

Not so sure about Arky. Unfortunately there are a bunch of other teams that possibly don't understand the extent of poison that the sips would inject if admitted into our league.

FWIW- I am hearing this is being considered by top SEC brass in a very serious way. Usually they shoot these rumors down immediately but the silence today is a bit deafening.

I still remain confident that reason within our conference will prevail but there is a lot of smoke on this.
The problem is ...sip, our conference is SEC and yours is b12.
Ervin Burrell
AG
longeryak said:

83Aggie said:

The pigs and MU have sucked since losing Texas recruiting pipelines and would be ecstatic for a chance to rekindle those.
How, exactly, would Texas joining the SEC help Pig and Mizzou's recruiting in the state of Texas?
longeryak
Ric Clark said:

DuncanLEO said:

Can't happen, we have veto power.
If we are forced by outside sources to say yes, I am sure Arkansas & Missouri will say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE Arky and MU that have been irreverent post losing their Texas recruiting pipelines?
AvidAggie
AG
JJxvi said:

Texas and Oklahoma joining the conference could potentially elevate those programs. Possibly at our expense.

On the other hand, from our perspective it would also be a demonstration of what we have been considering a line in the sand in terms of our competition in our state. No longer would it be just a disputed argument whether Texas A&M is the only school in the state in a real league...it would actually become crystal clear that Texas and Texas A&M were the only schools in the state that played in a real league.

This is a good point. tu and OU will always be tough recruiting rivals regardless of how good or bad we or them are. However, this would absolutely destroy TCU, Tech, Baylor, and OSU.
EKUAg
AG
There is a reason for the timing of this. To throw water on our part of media day.
rbcs_2
AG
The Lost said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ would make this pass in a heart beat.

Disney will pay for a marquee match up weekly with ou/tx getting new rivals with a&m/lsu, plus sprinkling in the rest of the conference there is a marquee game in some fashion every week.

Weeks 2,4,11 and 12 would love one of those games this year.

Other teams listed will all roll over in a heart beat when that $$$ number is announced as it will be insane.
Only way it makes more money for the SEC is if this move allowed them to negotiate the TV deals.
Bad Poster
I dont see any competitive schools saying yes to them joining. They thought poaching kids from Texas is hard now, imagine how hard it would be if we added tu and ou. Therefore I think LSU, bama, arky, auburn, bama, florida, georgia would all say no.
The Lost
AvidAggie said:

JJxvi said:

This is a good point. tu and OU will always be tough recruiting rivals regardless of how good or bad we or them are. However, this would absolutely destroy TCU, Tech, Baylor, and OSU.
Yup, ku could probably go big10 based on basketball and isu being just resurgent enough big 10 as well. Rest pray pac 12 or fall off a cliff.
Sq4fish83
AG
Bryanisbest said:

You predicted fake news?
Tex117
AG
We know there is major $$$$ involved.

The question is whether the SEC has a whole thinks it worth it to have Texas, and all their b.s. come with all those $$$$ signs.

Thats the only question that matters.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
Dominion Caracas Branch
longeryak said:

Ric Clark said:

DuncanLEO said:

Can't happen, we have veto power.
If we are forced by outside sources to say yes, I am sure Arkansas & Missouri will say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE Arky and MU that have been irreverent post losing their Texas recruiting pipelines?

I love the whorns coming out to further their propoganda.
The Lost
Noobmaster69 said:

I dont see any competitive schools saying yes to them joining. They thought poaching kids from Texas is hard now, imagine how hard it would be if we added tu and ou. Therefore I think LSU, bama, arky, auburn, bama, florida, georgia would all say no.
I doubt they're scared considering how many kids are in texas and they currently recruit against each other.

Hell mizzou has 2 4 star kids committed for the 2022 class right now from texas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.