Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas and OU want to join the SEC

45,053 Views | 301 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rgag12
Dominion Caracas Branch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aTmAg said:

Bonfire1996 said:

1. Each SEC school gets $45 million annually from the conference.
2. In order not to take a paycut, Texas and OU would need to add $90 million, per year, to overall media revenues
3. Every cable subscriber in Texas already pays the "in market" rate for the SEC Network. Texas adds $0 to the existing cable revenue pie
4. Oklahoma has 450,000 cable households. They would switch from $0.40 per subscriber per month to $1.40 per subscriber per month going from "out of network" to "in network". OU adds $5.4 million to the revenue pie
5. The SEC just inked their combined tier 1&2 media rights deals with ESPN. Sure they have lookin provisions, but with only about a dozen games added, annually, there is no way in hell they increase their payout to the SEC by $85 million annually.

This is theater meant to distract from Jimbo's media days interview. Jimbo is destroying Texas and OU in recruiting, and he is about to have his best season since 2013. This is desperation.
I agree with your numbers, but disagree with your motive. Doing this is an embarrassment to the B12. And when they get turned down, it will be a huge embarrassment to tu and OU. They wouldn't subject themselves to that merely to distract from Jimbo's media interview.

What makes more sense is that they think they are a shoe-in. And they chose today to announce it because it distracts from Jimbo's media days interview.

tu was also sure they'd end up with Saban and Meyer as hc too.
1st Generation Ag
Ag8556 said:

I don't have a problem with this as long as killing off the LHN is a condition. Any new schools joining the conference need to be all in. No special rules or set asides.

I think it will be very interesting to see how they handle competing on a level playing field amongst 16 equal conference members.
The sips would gladly drop the LHN. In time, when they think they have accumulated enough power, they'll try to bring it back.

The sips are an existential threat. Our leadership must get out in front of this and stop it before it starts. We cannot rely on Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, or Arkansas to have our back. Nothing can puncture Georgia's belief that they run their state, and they have enough political influence to keep Georgia Tech out of the SEC, with or without our help. Arkansas hates tu as much as we, but their fortunes have changed. Their once-proud program is in much worse shape than the last time they left tu behind. More money might be enough inducement to get them to vote to make their team's prospects worse. I don't know what goes on in Florida, and SC is already the little brother in their own state. If it gets to a member vote, it's already too late.

Money talks. Alabama isn't the least bit worried that tu will ever wrest control of the conference offices from them. If the sips make a better pitch than we, that might be all it takes. Never forget that Nebraska used to run the Big 8. We have got to prove that tu is not in their financial interest.
GigEmTx
ABATTBQ11 said:

83Aggie said:

UF, SC, Missouri, UK, UGA would all cast no votes if A&M wanted support. Those are the schools protecting their state turf to remain the only SEC Player in their respective states. You need 3/4 of members votes for admission. Arkansas would likely join the voting block also.

Well, the problem is that once teams are added, state turf is irrelevant: the conference won't add teams again because it'll be at 16. If they vote yes, there's no opportunity for us to retaliate.
Retaliate? Maybe by kicking their butts on the field.
wbt5845
AG
I would recommend you guys listen closely to all Bonfire1996 says regarding realignment. He has been 100% right on everything since 2010.
West Point Aggie
AG
Any reaction from Gov Kevin Stitt, Oklahoma's governor and Oklahoma State alum?!?
Let’s Go Brandon!
whytho987654
Read a source that said mizzou is a firm no. Would just need two of UF, uga, scar, and arky
AWP 97
AG
longeryak said:

83Aggie said:

UF, SC, Missouri, UK, UGA would all cast no votes if A&M wanted support. Those are the schools protecting their state turf to remain the only SEC Player in their respective states. You need 3/4 of members votes for admission. Arkansas would likely join the voting block also.
The pigs and MU have sucked since losing Texas recruiting pipelines and would be ecstatic for a chance to rekindle those. Still trying to figure what team the second team is in either GA or KY is that the SEC would consider. I'm guessing those two would take the extra revenue over blocking????
You'll have to explain to me how tu would help them rekindle Texas recruiting pipelines and we didn't.
Jbob04
AG
Let's see if Bjork can convince some other schools to say no. It's time for him to earn his keep
gigemags-99
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Any reaction from Gov Kevin Stitt, Oklahoma's governor and Oklahoma State alum?!?

Ok State reaction:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/oklahoma/.amp/football/oklahoma-releases-statement-on-sec-rumors
aTmAg
AG
Dominion Caracas Branch said:

aTmAg said:

Bonfire1996 said:

1. Each SEC school gets $45 million annually from the conference.
2. In order not to take a paycut, Texas and OU would need to add $90 million, per year, to overall media revenues
3. Every cable subscriber in Texas already pays the "in market" rate for the SEC Network. Texas adds $0 to the existing cable revenue pie
4. Oklahoma has 450,000 cable households. They would switch from $0.40 per subscriber per month to $1.40 per subscriber per month going from "out of network" to "in network". OU adds $5.4 million to the revenue pie
5. The SEC just inked their combined tier 1&2 media rights deals with ESPN. Sure they have lookin provisions, but with only about a dozen games added, annually, there is no way in hell they increase their payout to the SEC by $85 million annually.

This is theater meant to distract from Jimbo's media days interview. Jimbo is destroying Texas and OU in recruiting, and he is about to have his best season since 2013. This is desperation.
I agree with your numbers, but disagree with your motive. Doing this is an embarrassment to the B12. And when they get turned down, it will be a huge embarrassment to tu and OU. They wouldn't subject themselves to that merely to distract from Jimbo's media interview.

What makes more sense is that they think they are a shoe-in. And they chose today to announce it because it distracts from Jimbo's media days interview.

tu was also sure they'd end up with Saban and Meyer as hc too.
Yeah, that's why I said "when they get turned down" not if.
arg
Bless their hearts... this is great recruiting ammo for us... poor sips
Caesar4
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

Yep, same stunt that the sips did during Aggies' Orange Bowl by making some "big" announcement. lol, those loser sippy cling-ons.
W
AG
45-70Ag said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/oklahoma-state-issues-strong-response-to-report-ou-texas-reached-out-to-sec/?fbclid=IwAR17Psff9vqZ3UFm7kz1Y3bqic8e4DCkzJ1QRssGC89ScOZHIRllS4yRZRQ
yes, this might be the biggest roadblock.

while OU's annual TV revenue might jump from $35 MM to $45 MM...

OSU's annual TV revenue would plummet from $35 MM to $20 MM (or $15 MM or lower) in a non-P5 conference with Big 12 leftovers.

the state government is not going to let that happen
West Point Aggie
AG
gigemags-99 said:

West Point Aggie said:

Ok State reaction:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/oklahoma/.amp/football/oklahoma-releases-statement-on-sec-rumors

This smells of threat of legal action, veiled in "we love it here" bluster! Man this is fun!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Max Power
AG
Also if tu and OU leave they forfeit their media rights through 2025 IIRC. Along with whatever lawsuits are brought against them by the remaining members.
e=mc2
AG
arg said:

Bless their hearts... this is great recruiting ammo for us... poor sips

It's also great ammo.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I don't think the sips pull this stunt solely to mess with media days. It makes them look desperate if the sec shoots them down.

The bdf grant of rights ends after the 24-25 season. Any move would come afterwards.

I suspect this is an elaborate shake down of the rest of the bdf.

A poster a few pages back said it best: there is no incentive for the SEC to be the first mover.

The SEC is currently in the catbird seat. An action would be met by a reaction by the competitors. The law of unintended consequences. Only a fool risks it when his circumstances are already good.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Are Austin and Norman now in a sliver of East Texas?
Ex-liberalag12
This goes beyond politics... Not good. If there is nothing we can do (ex. The Commish has many avenues for a high probability of success), at least get something if we have no other option and the clause is ruled null and void. We could be the final say in re-alignemnt or have more weight in the decision of re-alignemnt etc... This also will show the power of A&M in and on the SEC.

Agryan00
Texas looking to wreck a 3rd conference?
EKUAg
AG
Scientific
AG
Has anyone gotten a temperature from other boards? My friend has been blowing me up that other boards are gung ho about this. I have to doubt that LSU, Arky, Alabama, and Tennessee are that eager to let them in.
TxAG#2011
Scientific said:

Has anyone gotten a temperature from other boards? My friend has been blowing me up that other boards are gung ho about this. I have to doubt that LSU, Arky, Alabama, and Tennessee are that eager to let them in.

Not much enthusiasm at all on the rant
Heisenberg01
AG
W said:

45-70Ag said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/oklahoma-state-issues-strong-response-to-report-ou-texas-reached-out-to-sec/?fbclid=IwAR17Psff9vqZ3UFm7kz1Y3bqic8e4DCkzJ1QRssGC89ScOZHIRllS4yRZRQ
yes, this might be the biggest roadblock.

while OU's annual TV revenue might jump from $35 MM to $45 MM...

OSU's annual TV revenue would plummet from $35 MM to $20 MM (or $15 MM or lower) in a non-P5 conference with Big 12 leftovers.

the state government is not going to let that happen

Baylor attorneys are about to go scorched earth on tu and OU!
Baker
It's all about the Benjamin's....
aggielandfun
Ags -

RIGHT NOW...it's critically important that you call and/or email the top Republicans in our state about OPPOSING the TU attempt at switching to SEC!!!

Governor Greg Abbott:

Lt. Governor Dan Patrick:

Speaker Dade Phelan:

Gig 'em!
1st Generation Ag
Scientific said:

Alabama thinks they'll always be the 800-pound gorilla of the conference. So Texas can get us more money while adding another win to the schedule? Sure, why not. They need to study the case of Nebraska very closely.

If the Bammers can be persuaded by money, the rest can too. If you think it's bad now with the checks coming from Birmingham, wait until they are coming from Dallas. Could be within our lifetime.
black_ice
God Help Us
West Point Aggie
AG
aggielandfun said:

Ags -

RIGHT NOW...it's critically important that you call and/or email the top Republicans in our state about OPPOSING the TU attempt at switching to SEC!!!

Governor Greg Abbott:

Lt. Governor Dan Patrick:

Speaker Dade Phelan:

Gig 'em!

The governor is a sip; why would he oppose it?!!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Gidnik
swc93
AG
Caesar4 said:

But who will think of the children?
  • Baylor
  • Tech
  • ISU
  • WVU
  • OkState
  • Kansas
  • KSU
  • TCU

Maybe Nebraska will come back; that way the Huskers can return to 10 win seasons.
Gidnik
I know this is a long article so ill cut and paste a few of the tidbits that i think matter.

https://www.dawgsports.com/platform/amp/2021/7/21/22587585/texas-oklahoma-sec-longhorn-network-contract?utm_campaign=dawgsports&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

"Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC would reset the league's television contracts. That would result in "an increase in revenue of at least 10 million a year for each of the league's member institutions," from revamped television contracts alone according to one source."

"One potential hurdle to the move is the Longhorn Network. The contract between Texas and ESPN runs through 2031, and the university earns approximately 15 million dollars a year under the current agreement. Sources believe that any move to the SEC would be dependent on the dissolution of the cable channel.

Sources close to the University of Texas have told Dawg Sports that Texas "would be willing to scrap it, and believe the move to the SEC would ultimately result in more money for the university.""

1st Generation Ag
An additional $160 million a year just from those two? Seems far-fetched.
West Point Aggie
AG
1st Generation Ag said:

An additional $160 million a year just from those two? Seems far-fetched.

Insanely so!
Let’s Go Brandon!
aggielandfun
because there are more Ags than Sips who are his voters/donorsTU peeps aren't his "base" at the polls, so he better not think that Ags will forget next election if he doesn't support us on this one!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.