Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas and OU want to join the SEC

45,548 Views | 301 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rgag12
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EarlCampbellsThighs said:

Ridge14 said:

Get Loftin on the phone

Texas will be in the SEC before this has any recruiting impact and it will all be even better for Texas. All the players yet to make a decision are in the 2024 and beyond cycles. Meaning you can pitch playing in the $EC by the time they'll be on campus in Austin.

Sure thing sip
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Gidnik said:

Ag Tag said:

I think it's gonna happen.
If it does, it'll be because they don't want both of us going to the big 10 and making that a very near equal conference.

You have the same problem with Nebraska and Colorado hating you there.
Sports-Ag
AG
I would think TAMU and Missouri would vote no. Maybe the schools that are not great in all around sports so they won't be even more at the bottom.

The only thing that I can see this happening is of course money.
TxAG#2011
Trump 2020 said:

Apparently rumors are swirling amongst big money OU donors that this is already a done deal. Dear lord I hope they are dead wrong.

Funny how none of them seemed to know anything until this story broke.
Gidnik
Champ Bailey said:

Gidnik said:

Ag Tag said:

I think it's gonna happen.
If it does, it'll be because they don't want both of us going to the big 10 and making that a very near equal conference.

You have the same problem with Nebraska and Colorado hating you there.
Not to anywhere near the same extent
EVA3
AG
Trump 2020 said:

Apparently rumors are swirling amongst big money OU donors that this is already a done deal. Dear lord I hope they are dead wrong.
You do understand how rumors work, right?
William Larue Weller
AG
EVA3 said:

Trump 2020 said:

You do understand how rumors work, right?

Completely. Which is why I'm hoping it's all a bunch of nonsense.
William Larue Weller
AG
Yeah that's what's giving me hope haha
W
AG
so the "Oklahoma State problem" suddenly goes away for OU?

OU goes to the SEC...and the state legislature lets OSU drift into the AAC or something?
West Point Aggie
AG
W said:

OU goes to the SEC...and the state legislature lets OSU drift into the AAC or something?

Exactly! I find it hard to believe the politicos in either state just let the others wither away
Let’s Go Brandon!
APHIS AG
Both bring nothing to the table. No increased revenue, no increased TV ratings, no increased fan support, and no boost to recruiting.

This is just a Summertime "news" to both keep the SEC in the news and to rattle the rest of the BDF.
AustinAg2K
I think this is a negotiating ploy by Texas and OU to get more money from the Big 12. Before we left, they had unequal revenue distribution where both of those schools received more money than any other school in the conference. They agreed to equal revenue sharing in an attempt to get us to stay, but we have them the finger anyways, and it back fired. I think this is their attempt to get that unequal share back. The other schools know they are done without Texas and OU.
monarch
S
Will we be able to do horns down?
Peace for Ukraine!
monarch
S
b12 would still be a hell of a basketball conference.
Peace for Ukraine!
Caesar4
AG
WANT....my grandfather educated me about "wants"....The people in hell want ice-water.
AggieBlu
AG
A&M, Mizzou, Arky, and LSU are likely hard NO so that decision is already DOA!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
W
AG
West Point Aggie said:

W said:

Exactly! I find it hard to believe the politicos in either state just let the others wither away
it's been several years since I lasted checked what school the governor of Oklahoma attended...

but the current governor...who took office in Janaury 2019...is sure enough...a graduate of Oklahoma State University.

the OSU problem for OU has not gone away
West Point Aggie
AG
Would this kill the "arkansas and/or Nebraska" to the b12 rumors?!?
Let’s Go Brandon!
CowPieAndFries
wbt5845 said:

Lotta people without Ag Tags chiming in that "gee Texas brings in tins of money" without actually explaining how any additional money would go to member schools.
I don't see how the horns or sooners could get out of their current conference deal but if the could I think ESPN would make an enhanced offering to SEC schools. They could stop paying for the Big12 contract. With the savings you pay the SEC teams more. The remaining big12 schools will schlep away and play for pennies on the dollar Tuesday nights.

You still may have four schools saying no but I could see ESPN wanting it to happen.
Tex117
AG
Texas playing the long game to go the Pac-10.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
TheEdge87
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

BrayK15 said:

Won't happen. Each school must vote on expansion, i.e. each school has a veto. A&M alone could prevent either school from joining, which I assume we would gladly do.
I don't think it has to be unanimous but your point remains...don't see any way either school has enough votes (75%?).
Mike Slive liked to rule with unanimous consent but the bylaws only require 3/4 vote in favor. I have no idea if Sanky would follow Slive's precedent of unanimous consent.
Jimbo4win
AG
AggieBlu said:

A&M, Mizzou, Arky, and LSU are likely hard NO so that decision is already DOA!

My understanding is that we also have an agreement with S Carolina they will vote no for Texas for us and we will vote no for Clemson if ever they wanted in the SEC. Not to mention, Jimbo is not worried about playing the lowly whorns. Check his record against Florida while he was at Florida St. He is now 8-1 against the "Florida flagship"..
double aught
AG
Ridge14 said:

Get Loftin on the phone

I mean, that's what I would do if I were them. Thankfully I'm not!
AWP 97
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

BrayK15 said:

Won't happen. Each school must vote on expansion, i.e. each school has a veto. A&M alone could prevent either school from joining, which I assume we would gladly do.
I don't think it has to be unanimous but your point remains...don't see any way either school has enough votes (75%?).
It would take 11 out of 14 votes to pass so whatever that math is.
Unemployed
AG
I'd rather not have ou and tu in the SEC but I can understand why the SEC would listen and do their due diligence.

Obviously, it's going to be about money. Also, super conferences will happen. Does the SEC want the Big 10 or Pac 12 to get stronger by adding tu and ou? Bring them two into the fold and let the other conferences fight over the scraps.
Ag8556
AG
I don't have a problem with this as long as killing off the LHN is a condition. Any new schools joining the conference need to be all in. No special rules or set asides.

I think it will be very interesting to see how they handle competing on a level playing field amongst 16 equal conference members.
longeryak
SEC Champs said:

rootube said:

....because the longhorn network seems like a major sticking point.
This. The contract is over in 2025 and ESPN will bid low. t.u. scrounging to preserve capital.
FOX contract is over in 2025 LHN contract is until 2031. Look for LHN to become SECN II if this happens.
45-70Ag
AG
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/oklahoma-state-issues-strong-response-to-report-ou-texas-reached-out-to-sec/?fbclid=IwAR17Psff9vqZ3UFm7kz1Y3bqic8e4DCkzJ1QRssGC89ScOZHIRllS4yRZRQ
Leander - Ag
AG
We have passed the sip flakes and ou and they know it. This is their only desperate move to keep up
ABATTBQ11
AG
83Aggie said:

UF, SC, Missouri, UK, UGA would all cast no votes if A&M wanted support. Those are the schools protecting their state turf to remain the only SEC Player in their respective states. You need 3/4 of members votes for admission. Arkansas would likely join the voting block also.

Well, the problem is that once teams are added, state turf is irrelevant: the conference won't add teams again because it'll be at 16. If they vote yes, there's no opportunity for us to retaliate.
Bonfire1996
AG
1. Each SEC school gets $45 million annually from the conference.
2. In order not to take a paycut, Texas and OU would need to add $90 million, per year, to overall media revenues
3. Every cable subscriber in Texas already pays the "in market" rate for the SEC Network. Texas adds $0 to the existing cable revenue pie
4. Oklahoma has 450,000 cable households. They would switch from $0.40 per subscriber per month to $1.40 per subscriber per month going from "out of network" to "in network". OU adds $5.4 million to the revenue pie
5. The SEC just inked their combined tier 1&2 media rights deals with ESPN. Sure they have lookin provisions, but with only about a dozen games added, annually, there is no way in hell they increase their payout to the SEC by $85 million annually.

This is theater meant to distract from Jimbo's media days interview. Jimbo is destroying Texas and OU in recruiting, and he is about to have his best season since 2013. This is desperation.
halfastros81
AG
Why is 16 the limit?
AWP 97
AG
AvidAggie said:

Also are the Tech, Baylor, OSU, TCU boards melting down yet?
You can add Kansas State to that list. Kansas is an AAU school so maybe the Big 10 would look at them for that and basketball if the 4 super conference idea happened.
aTmAg
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

1. Each SEC school gets $45 million annually from the conference.
2. In order not to take a paycut, Texas and OU would need to add $90 million, per year, to overall media revenues
3. Every cable subscriber in Texas already pays the "in market" rate for the SEC Network. Texas adds $0 to the existing cable revenue pie
4. Oklahoma has 450,000 cable households. They would switch from $0.40 per subscriber per month to $1.40 per subscriber per month going from "out of network" to "in network". OU adds $5.4 million to the revenue pie
5. The SEC just inked their combined tier 1&2 media rights deals with ESPN. Sure they have lookin provisions, but with only about a dozen games added, annually, there is no way in hell they increase their payout to the SEC by $85 million annually.

This is theater meant to distract from Jimbo's media days interview. Jimbo is destroying Texas and OU in recruiting, and he is about to have his best season since 2013. This is desperation.
I agree with your numbers, but disagree with your motive. Doing this is an embarrassment to the B12. And when they get turned down, it will be a huge embarrassment to tu and OU. They wouldn't subject themselves to that merely to distract from Jimbo's media interview.

What makes more sense is that they think they are a shoe-in. And they chose today to announce it because it distracts from Jimbo's media days interview.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.