Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Texas and OU want to join the SEC

45,426 Views | 301 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rgag12
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

rootube said:

I have no idea what the rules are regarding adding members but I would imagine every other SEC team except us would be happy to add both tu and OU if not solely for the mountain of cash it would generate. My guess is that the only way this happens is if it's orchestrated by by ESPN, because the longhorn network seems like a major sticking point.
from what sources would this "mountain" come?

SEC already has the Texas TV market.

SEC network is already in every home that has the LHN.

What is the value-added?

OMG the reverse sliver argument. tu and OU are incredibly valuable programs in a re-alignment world if that is what this is. Saying otherwise is as naive as horn was back in the day.
AvidAggie
AG
rootube said:

cavscout96 said:

rootube said:

I have no idea what the rules are regarding adding members but I would imagine every other SEC team except us would be happy to add both tu and OU if not solely for the mountain of cash it would generate. My guess is that the only way this happens is if it's orchestrated by by ESPN, because the longhorn network seems like a major sticking point.

What is the value-added?

OMG the reverse sliver argument. tu and OU are incredibly valuable programs in a re-alignment world if that is what this is. Saying otherwise is as naive as horn was back in the day.

Agree. Like it or not tu has a National following.
Max Power
AG
Not clicking, I don't buy it, for either of them. It's already been said, but the Big 12 winner (normally OU) has the easiest path to the playoff every year. Especially if the expanded playoff happens. Texas and OU can lean on everyone else in the conference, which is exactly what they both want. Also, too many teams in the SEC would veto it, not just us. I don't think the SEC would allow the horns network either, not happening.

Plus when we left the legal aspect from Baylor was mostly posturing. The legal impact is real if they try to leave because the conference dies. Plus, OU is likely joined at the hip with OSU with any movement on their part.

It would be easier for the Big 12 to recruit 2 teams and actually have 12 again than it would be for anyone to leave.
GrapevineAg
AG
THEamc
AG
AvidAggie said:

Also are the Tech, Baylor, OSU, TCU boards melting down yet?
With the meltdown of their tens of fans......
azul_rain
**** them, go **** yourselves
Seriously77
Bus left the station long ago.

el_guapo
tu want some of that sliver
rootube
AG
AvidAggie said:

rootube said:

cavscout96 said:

rootube said:

What is the value-added?

I should read more and type less. I agree 100%
AvidAggie
AG
I was agreeing with you
oragator
Yeah, I get why you wouldn't want them. And you're right we wouldn't want FSU either. But money math and long term survival says we should eventually take two. And if the ACC is stable, the big 10 is stable and the pac12 is stable (more based on their far flung geography than anything), than this makes sense as the proactive big play.

But what I wonder is whether this was leaked to try and create a bidding war. If my logic above is at all right, the pac12, big10 and sec will all want them, they might be seeing what they can extract as far as getting full revenue day 1, survival of the LHN for however many years, what their additions mean to revenue for each conference etc. Or maybe what they can extract from the big 12 to stay, which wouldn't at all be surprising because the other 8 schools will be in dire straights if they leave.

The horns did something similar last time around when the whole pac10 thing was leaked. Of course it didn't work out for them at all.
Sports-Ag
AG
OU/TU knew what they were doing by releasing it this week and this day during SEC media week and when Jimbo was going to have his press conference. They wanted to create chaos and still the thunder. Move along.
el_guapo
OU and tu are backed into a corner and they know it. SEC just keeps getting stronger and richer. Cali QB's are now coming to SEC. Regardless of 12 team playoff system and it being easier for either/both tu and OU to make it, they are losing out on the big bucks and it will get worse. They know for the long term, they have to do something. The growing gap in $ between the Big 12 and SEC is more urgent than an easier path to the playoffs, long term.

I figured this would happen as the LHN got closer to expiration.

SEC better say NO or we have lost on the one thing that gives us a recruiting edge against our two fiercest non SEC rivals.
mcag83
AG
Holy crapola....
Like anyone can even know that.
azul_rain
I am ****ing livid at the thought of this bull****
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Because the longhorn network was such a huge success?

Please, the "great value" of tu has been debunked repeatedly.

I think you are confusing the ESPN propaganda machine for actual TV set popularity.

Unless adding them will increase the per member payout significantly, this is a non-starter. Spoiler alert: it won't.
wbt5845
AG
No one has yet said where this "mountain of money" comes from. Renegotiated TV contract? T shirt sales? Where?
Sports-Ag
AG
el_guapo said:

OU and tu are backed into a corner and they know it. SEC just keeps getting stronger and richer. Cali QB's are now coming to SEC. Regardless of 12 team playoff system and it being easier for either/both tu and OU to make it, they are losing out on the big bucks and it will get worse. They know for the long term, they have to do something. The growing gap in $ between the Big 12 and SEC is more urgent than an easier path to the playoffs, long term.

I figured this would happen as the LHN got closer to expiration.

SEC better say NO or we have lost on the one thing that gives us a recruiting edge against our two fiercest non SEC rivals.

Makes sense. Paul Finebaum and Laura also mention the new SEC deal with espn. Big money there.
oragator
West Point Aggie
AG
Wow so tu and ou want to leave their respective states, like we did?

Remember when we were accused of that? Of joining the "inbred" "Dixie" "redneck" conference?!?

LOL
Let’s Go Brandon!
rootube
AG
Aggie Joe 93 said:

I think you are confusing the ESPN propaganda machine for actual TV set popularity.

Unless adding them will increase the per member payout significantly, this is a non-starter. Spoiler alert: it won't.

Here is how I could see this working out. ESPN could add significant revenue to the SEC pot for everyone and dump the B12 and horn network and actually save money in this deal. SEC would win the second round of conference consolidation. I pulled this right out of my arse and would prefer things stay the way they are but I'm not delusional enough to think that horn and OU are not incredibly valuable.
Ag_EE
AG
Does a penalty for "horns down" come with the deal? Or will this be one of their first demands upon joining? Dumbasses
GIF Reactor
AG
The way our former B12 all spoke when we left, you'd think they would want nothing to do with this conference. I guess the SEC wasn't so bad after all, but I hope they politely tell them

Brock Sampson
AG
Anybody check in with Baylor, Tech, or TCU to see how they feel about this report?
wbt5845
AG
Baylor is lawyering up right now. The genius of Bowtie was extracting us and leaving sip with the children. Those hungry mouths aren't going away.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
rootube said:

cavscout96 said:

rootube said:

What is the value-added?

It's not about following. It's about distribution. Neither of those schools add anything that moves the needle with respect to TV and OTT distribution rights.

If this is actually about money, we are thinking with our brains, and being realistic, the correct play would be the same cynical move that the Big 10 made a few years back adding east coast schools in the DC and NYC areas. From a true "added value of the content" standpoint Virginia Tech/UVA and one of the schools in North Carolina are significantly more valuable.

I still hear a lot of echoes of the voices of people who validated their entire existence and fandom by using the sips as the sole measuring stick.

On top of everything else: this is not a situation where the first mover gets the best deal. There is no value in adding these schools right now. Put another way: what is the worst outcome if the SEC does nothing? They end up in the Big 10? Unlikely. They forge a deal with the Pac12? Who cares. But neither of those moves puts any pressure on SEC media rights valuation. And adding them -- as I discussed above -- doesn't put any upward pressure on SEC media rights valuation.
el_guapo
With the current model, tu and ou don't add many tv's for another mouth to feed. With the evolution of streaming and other changes, maybe tu and ou add value at some point. However, we lose our one selling point - the only team from TX in the SEC. That is HUGE.

With tv contract renewals, SEC stands to widen the revenue gap between SEC and Big 12. OU and tu know this and now they want in on what they used to make fun of. Funny how money makes you eat crow.
CaseAg
UltimateSuperGenius said:

There is no chance this happens. Zero. Anyone who thinks this can happen is an idiot.

Everyone needs to calm down.
What are you? Some kind of genius or something?
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
Dear tu:

Don't worry. We'll take care of you.

A&M
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
rootube said:

Aggie Joe 93 said:

Here is how I could see this working out. ESPN could add significant revenue to the SEC pot for everyone and dump the B12 and horn network and actually save money in this deal. SEC would win the second round of conference consolidation. I pulled this right out of my arse and would prefer things stay the way they are but I'm not delusional enough to think that horn and OU are not incredibly valuable.
This assumption pulls money out of thin air. The ESPNs of the world aren't going to be a buyer at a higher price for what they already own.

Here's the real bellwether everyone needs to be looking for with respect to additional conference realignment: when traditional media companies start getting outbid for content. When Apple/Google/Netflix start coming to the table to buy media rights and ESPN/FOX/whatever can't offer competing money, conferences might start to move again.
GoodAg21
I can think of three HELL no's: us, mizzou, and arkansas. I'd bet LSU says no as well. Under no circumstances should we NOT fight tooth and nail to deny them
MaroonStain
AG
Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's conference change.
Teslag
AG
AvidAggie said:

rootube said:

cavscout96 said:

rootube said:

What is the value-added?

No, they don't.
Ag 11
AG
levypantsEOY
STCLaggie21 said:

I can think of three HELL no's: us, mizzou, and arkansas. I'd bet LSU says no as well. Under no circumstances should we NOT fight tooth and nail to deny them

Not so sure about Arky. Unfortunately there are a bunch of other teams that possibly don't understand the extent of poison that the sips would inject if admitted into our league.

FWIW- I am hearing this is being considered by top SEC brass in a very serious way. Usually they shoot these rumors down immediately but the silence today is a bit deafening.

I still remain confident that reason within our conference will prevail but there is a lot of smoke on this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.