Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M Begging Donors to Come Back

125,413 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WestGalvestonAggie
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aglaes said:

one MEEN Ag said:

BQCadet said:

one MEEN Ag said:

You know the association takes your name, home address, year you graduated, major, and declared job to estimate your salary.

I've never gotten this call but a friend of mine definitely has. A college kid will tell you, 'You know as an engineer we think you make around 95k. We think you can donate 5% of that easily.'

Infuriated my buddy who was taking care of his mom and still hasn't bought an Aggie ring because of that.

So be sure to ask them how many liberal arts majors that didn't go to professional school they're checking in on to 'just ask how they're doing.'

I'm a liberal arts major and I'm doing just fine thanks.
Congrats on a successful career in...sales?

Better go tell the association you're doing well.
My son got a BS in Econ from College of Liberal Arts and is working for Goldman Sachs (not in "sales") and is doing just fine.
Of course, because when I think of liberal arts majors. I think of...econ. I'm shocked Goldman Sachs would hire someone who received training in the field they operate in.

Now, would your son have gotten that job if he had majored in Classics?
JohnnyStatueNow
AG
I've always been confused that Econ was grouped into the Liberal Arts department. Felt like I should have been going to the Mays building instead of the Bush school.
Olin's Illegitimate Son That He Doesn't Know About
Hawk2007
BQCadet said:

one MEEN Ag said:

You know the association takes your name, home address, year you graduated, major, and declared job to estimate your salary.

I've never gotten this call but a friend of mine definitely has. A college kid will tell you, 'You know as an engineer we think you make around 95k. We think you can donate 5% of that easily.'

Infuriated my buddy who was taking care of his mom and still hasn't bought an Aggie ring because of that.

So be sure to ask them how many liberal arts majors that didn't go to professional school they're checking in on to 'just ask how they're doing.'

Did you commission?
Hawk2007
aglaes said:

one MEEN Ag said:

BQCadet said:

one MEEN Ag said:

My son got a BS in Econ from College of Liberal Arts and is working for Goldman Sachs (not in "sales") and is doing just fine.

Way to go on missing the boat.

The next time you talk to your son, have him explain to you bell curves, mean, median, and modes.
Hawk2007
DisappointedAg said:

I've always been confused that Econ was grouped into the Liberal Arts department. Felt like I should have been going to the Mays building instead of the Bush school.

At UT, Computer Science is out of the College of Natural Sciences. I mean, you can probably make a logical argument for that, but it likely has more to do with history and the development of the program more than anything. I'd argue now it's way more appropriate in their School of Engineering.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Hawk2007 said:

aglaes said:

one MEEN Ag said:

BQCadet said:

one MEEN Ag said:

The next time you talk to your son, have him explain to you bell curves, mean, median, and modes.

He doesn't need to explain anything to me, I am very smart. When I took my IQ test I was at the very top of the bell curve.
redd38
AG
Computer Science should have its own department
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

It has always been that way everywhere. There is a rather set definition of liberal arts offerings and econ has been part of that going back centuries under the guide of "political economy."

The modern notion of a business degree did not come around until much later and things like accounting were considered more like trades and outside the tradition of classic liberal arts study. Separate b schools popped up as a result. They were geared towards training aspiring executives where economics training was more towards research, public policy, etc.
Hawk2007
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hawk2007 said:

aglaes said:

one MEEN Ag said:

BQCadet said:

one MEEN Ag said:

He doesn't need to explain anything to me, I am very smart. When I took my IQ test I was at the very top of the bell curve.

"Top of the bell curve" as in all the way right or "top of the bell" curve as in the apex of the curve?
Cromagnum
AG
JustisWalkert said:

"Aggies sticking together" might not get the results Bjork had in mind.

Yep. We stick together to not put up with this **** and boycott.
WestGalvestonAggie
Hawk2007 said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Hawk2007 said:

aglaes said:

one MEEN Ag said:

BQCadet said:

one MEEN Ag said:

"Top of the bell curve" as in all the way right or "top of the bell" curve as in the apex of the curve?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.