Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M Begging Donors to Come Back

125,407 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WestGalvestonAggie
DevilD77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
spherical said:

T264 said:

spherical said:

ok the bad behavior is one thing but if the AD tries to tell players they can't protest, you're asking them to infringe on many of their basic rights... i'm assuming you don't really want your money to be used to infringe on someone's rights?
You seem overly concerned for and ready to defend these few player's "rights to call the all Sully supporters, donors, and Corps members racists". That is painting with a broad brush.
Although I definitely do not oppose protesting , Protesting is not always going to produce the desired response (loss of donor monies). But hey- its only a few that are inflicting harm on our University so its ok, especially if they are good athletes! Wrong

i'm not sure what you mean by overly concerned, but i didn't really follow the rest of your post either.

listen, anyone can do anything they want with their money. i was just surprised to see someone say that "protests must be disallowed" in order for them to donate so i was curious if they really meant they wanted the AD stop players from exercise their rights.

and just for the record: the "few" have zero power to hurt the university off the field. as many have pointed out, the folks with all the power are the doners so... who can cause the harm?

If what the athletes are saying are not in holding with the standards of the organization, then by all means they should be disavowed. If what the athletes are saying is the belief system espoused by the organization, then be prepared for the consequences.
greg.w.h
AG
Giving to athletics to sell your own university seems especially vain. But part of why people do that is tying the results of their own accomplishments to the success of the school they at least partially credit for being successful.

I'm not saying that without knowledge. The Texas A&M Foundation pairs especially the President's Endowed Scholarship recipients with the funders and it can be a lifetime friendship. I had access to them through letters, phone calls, and even a few visits at their home. They offered me personal advice and introduced me to quite a large number of old Ags of their day. He had been elected mayor of Midland and he was exactly the kind of guy that you could imagine running for office. She was charming but from California so a fantastic mix of old west coast and Texas ideals and morals. Both were regular churchgoers though not prissy (and also not the faith I grew up in so that was an adjustment. She particularly took issue the year I finally graduated with my choice to go to seminary at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.)

I appreciated the opportunity to get to know them and it personalized the scholarship and gave it much deeper meaning by knowing them and knowing their motivations. They also shared L-6 in the original bank of suites. And they gave to the TMF and knew its leadership. They were proof of both the man's schooling at A&M and his military service after graduation, but talked very little about it unless asked carefully. He was enrolled during the last NC btw.

I think we need to be careful about assigning value or assuming we know. This couple could very well have supported Mond. It would not surprise me at all. Be very careful on all assumptions. And even more careful at assigning roles to those who actively support the University. They do so for their own reasons and out of entirely free will.

aggiebrad94
AG
spherical said:

Houstonag said:

The only true action is to eliminate all sports. Send them home. Yes, end it all and maybe we can start over in a few years. This is the only way to kill this attitude of privilege. They do not respect the University or it legacy . Most of them will never graduate with any useful degree and will also never contribute back. Even the pro athletes who have done well have never contributed back in proportion to what a regular non athlete graduate has.

By the way my donations are 60 k per year and will now go to zero, ZERO, ZERO.

You want to give ourselves the death penalty... because a group of students think differently than you, with two or three behaving badly. you should check your language: "most of them" and "they". Talk about painting with broad strokes.

if things really do go downhill for the AD, we'll all know who abandoned who because they pitched a fit. I guess
I thought the same traits that help a person become successful would be on display here. Thick skin, strong character... but I guess that's my naivety projecting idealistic traits onto the actual BMAs...

No one has ever asked the student athletes to change how they think. NOT ONE TIME.

This is about what they said and did and continue to do. This is about their coaches and AD staying silent.
MagnumLoad
I think everyone should take a deep breath and calm down. And I mean EVERYONE.
12thmanfootball
AG
Quote:

I think everyone should take a deep breath and calm down. And I mean EVERYONE.
User name checks out.....
West Point Aggie
AG
This thread has legs for days!!!
spherical
AG
My bad. I'm still working from home on and off, so I keep having these posting spurts
mrfun83
AG
It seems "Bjork" has become a verb...as to "bjork" something. To bjork: taking something that was progressing nicely and screw it up beyond all recognition and possible redemption.
KatyAg88
Yeah, I am thinking of the scene from Tommy Boy "Killed my sale". Bjork something up.
spherical
AG
That's really cool- thanks for sharing
aggiebacker81
AG
It's probably already been said in this thread, but I am not angry or surprised that QB1 or any other college student or athlete would say things on social media that I don't agree with. I expect that from social media. He has every right to state his opinion and I respect that. However, our Athletic Director should have realized that his responsibility is to manage the budget and therefore the funding of the athletic department and he made an egregious error in judgement when he supported things that our alumni base do not agree with.

What is frustrating is that the administration of the university that I have been associated with for over 40 years appear to be heading us down a path that I have no intention of following. I went to A&M because it was not like all of the other options, similar to what most of the alumni over 30 years old can say. Athletically, we were under the shadow of tu and would have always been there if they had their way, so athletics was much more for the involvement of participating as a fan. I don't think any of us attended A&M because of the athletic prowess of our athletic programs, even now. Athletics is not the most important thing about A&M which is why Jimbo sells kids that they are making a 40 year decision if they come here to school. That has not changed.

My hope is that this process will cause the leadership of our university to re-think who leads us and how they lead and how important it is for their values to line up with the values this university was founded on. They should never forget the the majority of the alumni base attended our university because of conservative values which are the result of Texas A&M having its roots as a military institution. That should never go away, IMHO.

This university and most of our alumni are not like all the rest. We chose to come and join the best institution in the country because of the things that this university stands for, not in spite of them.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Infant needs to go he is a crying baby... pun and spelling intended. Dude is trash
psybj
They won't miss your money

BLM gonna donate

Alshopton gonna give plenty after he pays the millions he owes IRS for back taxes
psybj
Secolobo
AG
Get young to donate the $1200 he owes somebody.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
From the new Priority Point Bonus Scheme Program:

"Note: Season ticket holders who retain their 2020 season tickets as well as those whose season tickets are canceled due to COVID-related concerns will be eligible to renew their seats for the 2021 season. Priority point bonus information and refund options for the 2020 season will be available upon request."

I think that is pretty low brow to have that info. available upon request. Once it is decided games are cancelled, attendance limited, tickets not available, etc. IMHO it is incumbent upon the TMF to proactively publish that information and forward to the donors. Donors have paid $$ for donation and season tickets based on 7 home games being played at Kyle Field, period. If there are less games, attendance is limited, a donor cannot be accommodated seats for a game, etc. a refund or credit needs to be offered and THEN ask for the $$ already be paid to be donated.

What they are doing is essentially you go to pay for a product or service, that product or service is never given/delivered/fulfilled, and you then need to ASK for your $ back instead of just losing the $ altogether.

The TMF has a much bigger balance sheet than 99% of donors and many more revenue streams. Personally, I will need back every $.01 of donation and ST $ for any cancelled games, etc.

The TMF should be above such antics.
#Mke
AG
AgDotCom said:

technoviking said:

AgDotCom said:

technoviking said:

You're comparing allowing protests to Enron?
He's comparing our athletic program and its funding to Enron.

And based on the last couple of pleas from Bjork and the TMF, they're not doing much to dispel that comparison.

They're completely different situations. If you guys are so offended by what has transpired over the last couple of weeks, then please do what you have have been virtue signaling about and actually leave the A&M system. You clearly do not want to be apart of it. So spend all that money you love to flaunt about virtually and do something else with your lives.

Or support Texas A&M athletics.

Gig em.
I've been to hundreds of A&M football games dating back to 1968. Living in B/CS all but 7 years, I've also been to hundreds more basketball and baseball games. I'll take my own advice thank you, not someone else's, especially one who thinks this about "virtue signaling". If that's what you think this is, you're oblivious to what's going on here. People are withholding their money because they're fed up, and they don't give a howdy flip if someone else sees it and makes them look cool. The reaction is visceral, it's not for show. If things change, we'll be back. If they don't, we'll be doing other things.

The TMF has a priority points system. Well, so do I, and several other things have moved ahead of A&M athletics.
Great response!
Post removed:
by user
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Hey Bubba..... yeah you, without an Ag Tag, trolling us all.

First, if you think we're all morons, then you must think you're NOT a moron....... or even worse, that you're a genius. So, I'll make you a deal. If you're so smart, post a pic of your current MENSA Membership Card, or just give me your Membership Number, and if I can verify you are indeed a member, then I'll post a pic of my MENSA Membership Card............... Don't question others intelligence, until you've proven you have some yourself.

Second, you have no idea how much anyone on this board has, or has not, contributed to TMF, TAMU, or other TAMU-related organizations and projects. So....... tell us all..... how much have you contributed ????

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Spotted Ag
AG
Cutting off contributions are just step 1. Step 2 is DO NOT GO TO KYLE in the fall (if they have football). DO NOT WATCH IT ON TV. DO NOT BUY MERCHANDISE. Not another dime means exactly that. Follow through folks.
uneedastraw
How much revenue is generated by A&M as a % of the total through licensing/royalties?

The reason I ask is by not buying licensed product, you are hurting more than just th school itself...and could be negatively impacting businesses/employees who aren't responsible for a&m's overall stance on the topic.
12thmanfootball
AG
Quote:

It's probably already been said in this thread, but I am not angry or surprised that QB1 or any other college student or athlete would say things on social media that I don't agree with. I expect that from social media. He has every right to state his opinion and I respect that. However, our Athletic Director should have realized that his responsibility is to manage the budget and therefore the funding of the athletic department and he made an egregious error in judgement when he supported things that our alumni base do not agree with.

What is frustrating is that the administration of the university that I have been associated with for over 40 years appear to be heading us down a path that I have no intention of following. I went to A&M because it was not like all of the other options, similar to what most of the alumni over 30 years old can say. Athletically, we were under the shadow of tu and would have always been there if they had their way, so athletics was much more for the involvement of participating as a fan. I don't think any of us attended A&M because of the athletic prowess of our athletic programs, even now. Athletics is not the most important thing about A&M which is why Jimbo sells kids that they are making a 40 year decision if they come here to school. That has not changed.

My hope is that this process will cause the leadership of our university to re-think who leads us and how they lead and how important it is for their values to line up with the values this university was founded on. They should never forget the the majority of the alumni base attended our university because of conservative values which are the result of Texas A&M having its roots as a military institution. That should never go away, IMHO.

This university and most of our alumni are not like all the rest. We chose to come and join the best institution in the country because of the things that this university stands for, not in spite of them.
VERY WELL SAID!!!!!!
4gAg
AG
What if AD and admin are actually doing that? Although in the smart way eg behind closed doors, not in social media or news media where we'd be pulverized. Do you actually know they aren't doing that, or are you also just reading into a video? Try and relax for now
West Point Aggie
AG
^
|
LOL

Whatthefunyo
Hey A&M, I won't be sending more money your because I paid enough already, but if you need some help on ending the good ole boy club and trimming the organization while still getting results, I offer my services...just shoot me an offer and what you are looking to do and we can figure out a way out of this mess, where donors don't have to continually foot the bill for lavish lifestyles!
turboboost
AG
The famous saying "Well Bye" won't work well with this one! We won't see change until after November 5, 2020. Speaks volumes as to where this University is de-volved into.
ToddyHill
AG
Just my two cents...

I did not leave A&M
A&M left me
Betoisafurry
Tony buzbee just announced he's not renewing his suite for the year due to the mond bs. So yeah, it's just us dumbass racists not sending in our $100 donations.
Aggies2009
AG
Charlie Kelley said:

Tony buzbee just announced he's not renewing his suite for the year due to the mond bs. So yeah, it's just us dumbass racists not sending in our $100 donations.

Isn't he on the board of regents? Did he have any part in hiring Young?
Betoisafurry
I think he is, not sure if he had a hand in hiring but I'm sure he has some sway in getting his ass out of here.
mccag
S
Charlie Kelley said:

Good for him! Maybe some of these BMA's start pulling the big bucks and these people will wake up!

It's kind of a catch 22, I don't want to see A&M harmed in any way but I do think a message needs to be sent to the folks running this place and they should at least address these matters.
spherical
AG
Charlie Kelley said:

that the guy with the tank? where did he announce it - all i can find are parody twitter accounts (which are hilarious)
KCantrell28
AG
He posted it on his Instagram about an hour ago
threeanout
AG
Charlie Kelley said:

I think he is, not sure if he had a hand in hiring but I'm sure he has some sway in getting his ass out of here.
He has been replaced on the BOR
spherical
AG
Thanks. That was actually a pretty level headed statement- not the impression I got from him at the end of the sumlin era.

My only issue with it is that he appears to have listened to other people saying current players are calling for the corp to be defunded. It was one retweet that was "undone" quickly- or have I missed other statements (entirely possible)
T264
AG
This may be the first , but not the last BMA to pull in the reins on donations. I do not understand why some here have a such a hard time why this is happening. It wasn't just a retweet, it was a cumulative of some of the athletes as well as administrators actions and statements (or lack thereof).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.