Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Petition to Bring Back TAMU v. t.u. Game

49,778 Views | 439 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rootube
AGGies0311
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why is everyone so scared to play tu again.. this was the best rivalry in college football. Saying that we've moved up by being in the SEC is flawed logic.... we were middle of the pack in the Big 12 and now we are in the dumpster of the SEC.. take away the conferences and its about to storied programs playing for Texas bragging rights.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
There was a time when I would have said, "Yes, by all means, bring back that game"

Now, I say no.

Texas A&M has nothing to gain by bringing back this game yet.

It will only perpetuate the "Texas' little brother" theme.

We don't need tu.

They need us more than we need them.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Why is everyone so scared to play tu again.. this was the best rivalry in college football. Saying that we've moved up by being in the SEC is flawed logic.... we were middle of the pack in the Big 12 and now we are in the dumpster of the SEC.. take away the conferences and its about to storied programs playing for Texas bragging rights.
Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Now, kindly GFY.

[We are going to start banning for that type of posting on here. This is your warning. -Staff]
MooreTrucker
AG
Nope. Not now. MAYBE years down the road, but not now. They still need it WAY worse than we do, and I'm happy with the current situation.

So no.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

It will only perpetuate the "Texas' little brother" theme.

They need us more than we need them.
These two things are contradictory.
MooreTrucker
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Dumpster??? GTFO. That's ridiculous hyperbole. To say we're middle of the pack SEC is valid in some cases, but to say "dumpster" is moronic.
AGGies0311
Conference Schedule
2013 (4-4) 7th in SEC
2014 (3-5) 9th in SEC
2015 (4-4) 8th in SEC
2016 (4-4) 8th in SEC

Looks like we are in the dumpster..

truth is hard to swallow

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/colin-cowherd-rips-texas-calls-aggies-underachieving-program-country
MooreTrucker
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Conference Schedule
2013 (4-4) 7th in SEC
2014 (3-5) 9th in SEC
2015 (4-4) 8th in SEC
2016 (4-4) 8th in SEC

truth is hard to swallow

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/colin-cowherd-rips-texas-calls-aggies-underachieving-program-country
7, 8, 9 of 14 = mid-pack

Also, look at sports other than football.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Conference Schedule
2013 (4-4) 7th in SEC
2014 (3-5) 9th in SEC
2015 (4-4) 8th in SEC
2016 (4-4) 8th in SEC

truth is hard to swallow

You should apply to be a climate scientist. You are awesome at excluding data that doesn't fit your narrative.
2thFixinAg
It honestly doesn't make any sense from a football perspective to do it. This is true of both parties. Because in separate conferences but same state whoever loses gets a big ding on recruiting.

The team that is perceived as behind the other will want to play it and the team ahead won't want to.

If sumlin buries us next year the numbers of ags that want to play the game again will grow and the number of sips will go down.
AGGies0311
Pretty sure this is the Football thread.............
MooreTrucker
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Pretty sure this is the Football thread.............
You're still wrong.
schmellba99
AG
F no we shouldn't go back to playing them.

It's not a matter of being afraid, it's a matter of knowing the history of the rivalry, knowing you are going into the game already at a disadvantage, knowing that you have a lot more to lose - even with a win - than they do and simply the fact that we need to quit fuggin worrying about whatever tu wants and needs and fuggin concentrate on Texas A&M and what we need to do to make ourselves better.

Some of you have the Stockholm syndrome with those *******s, and it's fuggin pathetic. Already there is this desire to run back to the abusive relationship even though there is absolutely nothing in history that says that anything will ever change.

We aren't in the same conference anymore, and we apparently still need time to realize that our future is not contingent upon what tu decides it is. Give it another 5 years, then maybe talks about a series can be brought to the table. Maybe.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I don't pay to watch football because it's a smart business decision. I watch football because it's fun. Playing the sips is fun. Beating the sips is the most fun.
winston_57
AG
hope it doesn't happen
Hot Corner
AG
No to tu!
AGGies0311
Well when it does happen please don't buy tickets or gladly sell your tickets at a marked down price
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Well when it does happen please don't buy tickets or gladly sell your tickets at a marked down price
Be sure to PM me. I will gladly take your marked down tickets off of your hands.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I used to be in the camp that thought we should work harder at renewing the series, but I have seen the light. All I had to do was be around some insufferable t-sips for an evening and I was cured.

Texas A&M University did everything possible to try and keep the series on Thanksgiving when we moved to the SEC. Dr. Loftin even publicly said, "Anytime, anywhere." The SEC gave us an open date during the week of Thanksgiving, as they do with Florida, UGA, USC, and Kentucky. However, Delos Dodds lectured us in the media and lectured our leadership about how "tu will never play A&M again if we left for the SEC without their 'permission'" and how " A&M lost their 'privilege' of playing tu because they left the XII."

I just don't know what more TAMU and the SEC could have done to accommodate the continuation of the series. At some point you just have to go forward.

tu is never going to be a good scheduling partner. They will never commit to an equal, 50/50 home and home series with us. It is time to recognize that they have no interest in partnering with us as equals, because they don't see us as equals. So screw 'em!

We have done so much better with scheduling, and the SEC helps us tremendously with OOC games. We have fantastic home and home games coming up, and the league has done great with our basketball OOC scheduling. We could potentially play them in one series home and home in September down the road, but even that shouldn't happen for at least another ten years.

Bonfire isn't coming back and neither is the tu game.

AGGies0311
I am not and will never be a season ticket holder... I would love to see the rivalry again..
AggieChemE09
AG
The playing field will never be level when tu is involved. Do not play them. Not now not ever.
Texmid
AG
Vored no.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
2thFixinAg said:

It honestly doesn't make any sense from a football perspective to do it. This is true of both parties. Because in separate conferences but same state whoever loses gets a big ding on recruiting.

The team that is perceived as behind the other will want to play it and the team ahead won't want to.

If sumlin buries us next year the numbers of ags that want to play the game again will grow and the number of sips will go down.

Actually, being in the same state and in different conferences has nothing to do with it. Being in the SEC is an inherent advantage that they cannot overcome simply by beating us. Look at Florida/ FSU, UGA/GT, USC/Clemson, UK/Louisville. None of those SEC schools are at a "disadvantage" if they lose games to their in state, OOC rivals. Their rivals only gain an advantage when they hire better coaches (as Clemson has right now). GT has beaten UGA recently and UGA is by far the better program and recruits better. FSU has tradition on their own, but if UF gets it together with coaching they will definitely have the advantage again.

If we did play the game, our only disadvantage would occur when we made a boneheaded coaching hire. That's not the problem that concerns me, what concerns me is crooked referees and shady business dealings.

F tu.
CrazyDayDuck
Rod Tidwell said:

You can vote no on this petition just so people know
Thanks for pointing that out.

I voted "No" (strongly opposed) and added this comment, "This game would adversely affect A&M recruiting. Stick to playing UTSA and UTEP, both of which are as good as tu these days."
HiWay6
ArbAg
AG

No means NO...

AGGies0311
unless you go to Baylor
GiveEmHellBill
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

I am not and will never be a season ticket holder... I would love to see the rivalry again..
Well, then....I'm sure the university and athletic department will take your request into serious consideration.

Synopsis
As someone on the outside looking in I think the game would be more of a fierce contest than OU/Texas. I think there is certainly more bad blood (esp. now) between TU and A&M than ever before and it would be a bad-ass game with not only fans of both teams, but both conferences watching intently. It would have regional if not national implications. I'd love to see the game.
LightningDammitt
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Why do you want to play the cupcake that is tu? Why don't you want to play better teams? Are you afraid? Does the tough SEC grind scare you?

Even with a mediocre record in the SEC, we are better off playing better competition. We fought for this tougher road. Why do you want to go back to lesser competition?
GoodOldAgs
Synopsis said:

As someone on the outside looking in I think the game would be more of a fierce contest than OU/Texas. I think there is certainly more bad blood (esp. now) between TU and A&M than ever before and it would be a bad-ass game with not only fans of both teams, but both conferences watching intently. It would have regional if not national implications. I'd love to see the game.

We know you would sip
AGGies0311
Like Nichols State? New Mexico? Louisiana Lafayette? UAB? Northwestern State?

They aren't really cupcakes... they won the last game.
Duckhook
AG
Voted "Yes" three times. Play the game. Beat them on the field, and maybe #WRTS won't just be a meaningless phrase. (Although, I haven't seen that used in awhile.) Maybe some of you don't remember how sweet it was to beat them 10 out of 11 years from the mid-80's to the mid-90's. As to our SEC schedule, sure it's tough, but Florida plays Florida St. every year. Saw varsity's horns off!

I am curious if this is an Old Army vs. New Army issue. I guess I'm in the Old Army demographic. Most of my older Ag friends want to play the game. Most of my younger Ag acquaintances do not. What do the rest of you think?
LightningDammitt
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Like Nichols State? New Mexico? Louisiana Lafayette? UAB? Northwestern State?

They aren't really cupcakes... they won the last game.
The schools you listed ARE cupcakes... Why are you so afraid of playing the schools you listed? You will be sacrificing a cupcake for a cupcake.\

They cheated most of their games to appear to be something other than a cupcake.

Can't believe you fell for the easy cupcake dupe. Scared of being duped?
LightningDammitt
AG
Duckhook said:

Voted "Yes" three times. Play the game. Beat them on the field, and maybe #WRTS won't just be a meaningless phrase. (Although, I haven't seen that used in awhile.) Maybe some of you don't remember how sweet it was to beat them 10 out of 11 years from the mid-80's to the mid-90's. As to our SEC schedule, sure it's tough, but Florida plays Florida St. every year. Saw varsity's horns off!

I am curious if this is an Old Army vs. New Army issue. I guess I'm in the Old Army demographic. Most of my older Ag friends want to play the game. Most of my younger Ag acquaintances do not. What do the rest of you think?
All of these arguments, including the old school/new school debate have been played out.

Like you, I am old school. When playing the game (win or lose) is a GOOD thing for TAMU, then maybe.

As it sits right now, playing even just one game, we have nothing to gain even when we win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.