Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Petition to Bring Back TAMU v. t.u. Game

49,826 Views | 439 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rootube
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duckhook said:

Voted "Yes" three times. Play the game. Beat them on the field, and maybe #WRTS won't just be a meaningless phrase. (Although, I haven't seen that used in awhile.) Maybe some of you don't remember how sweet it was to beat them 10 out of 11 years from the mid-80's to the mid-90's. As to our SEC schedule, sure it's tough, but Florida plays Florida St. every year. Saw varsity's horns off!

I am curious if this is an Old Army vs. New Army issue. I guess I'm in the Old Army demographic. Most of my older Ag friends want to play the game. Most of my younger Ag acquaintances do not. What do the rest of you think?
Class of '81, so Old Army (I guess...where's the line?). Voted multiple times myself to NOT play the game as will my Old Army friends.
SeattleAgJr
Pathetic, limp-wristed little man-babies who cannot give this thing up.

Grow up and move on. Better options and opportunities out there than revisiting the past.
Duckhook
AG
LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

Voted "Yes" three times. Play the game. Beat them on the field, and maybe #WRTS won't just be a meaningless phrase. (Although, I haven't seen that used in awhile.) Maybe some of you don't remember how sweet it was to beat them 10 out of 11 years from the mid-80's to the mid-90's. As to our SEC schedule, sure it's tough, but Florida plays Florida St. every year. Saw varsity's horns off!

I am curious if this is an Old Army vs. New Army issue. I guess I'm in the Old Army demographic. Most of my older Ag friends want to play the game. Most of my younger Ag acquaintances do not. What do the rest of you think?
All of these arguments, including the old school/new school debate have been played out.

Like you, I am old school. When playing the game (win or lose) is a GOOD thing for TAMU, then maybe.

As it sits right now, playing even just one game, we have nothing to gain even when we win.

I don't understand how we have nothing to gain by beating them on a regular basis. Recruits wouldn't notice this? (Like it or not, we're still recruiting against them.) National sports media wouldn't notice this? (Like it or not, the cycle will turn and they will be relevant in college football again at some point. We wouldn't want to beat them on national TV at that point?)
MooreTrucker
AG
Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

All of these arguments, including the old school/new school debate have been played out.

Like you, I am old school. When playing the game (win or lose) is a GOOD thing for TAMU, then maybe.

As it sits right now, playing even just one game, we have nothing to gain even when we win.

I don't understand how we have nothing to gain by beating them on a regular basis. Recruits wouldn't notice this? (Like it or not, we're still recruiting against them.) National sports media wouldn't notice this? (Like it or not, the cycle will turn and they will be relevant in college football again at some point. We wouldn't want to beat them on national TV at that point?)
You're assuming that we would be allowed to beat them. This is not a given. EVERY advantage would be given to them and EVERY deck would be stacked against us. How long have you been watching Aggie/tu football?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
You know what recruits really want to see? Us beat teams that matter. How about we concentrate our time/energy on beating LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, etc?

Wasting time discussing whether we should play an OOC game against tu (who isn't relevant to us) doesn't mean sh*t anymore to the season ticket holders or to recruits.

Besides, the sips already said they didn't care about us anymore, that OU is their "real" rival and that if WE wanted to come crawling back, you can be sure as hell those arrogant SOB's would have a list of conditions.

F*** them. We've moved on. It's time for this small group of fans to also.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Conference Schedule
2013 (4-4) 7th in SEC
2014 (3-5) 9th in SEC
2015 (4-4) 8th in SEC
2016 (4-4) 8th in SEC

Looks like we are in the dumpster..

truth is hard to swallow

except it's not the truth.

7th,8th and 9th out of 14 teams is in the middle, not the dumpster.

also, what happened to 2012? nice to conveniently leave it off to try and support a false claim.

Duckhook
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

You're assuming that we would be allowed to beat them. This is not a given. EVERY advantage would be given to them and EVERY deck would be stacked against us. How long have you been watching Aggie/tu football?

Please. I've been watching since the mid-60s. So we're going to quit playing every team that we ever got a bad call against? So long LSU! Adios Auburn! Go put your tinfoil hat back on.
AGGies0311
2012 was an outlier. New to the conference, new style of play, good qb... the n2013 happened
SeattleAgJr
NyAggie said:

Quote:

Conference Schedule
2013 (4-4) 7th in SEC
2014 (3-5) 9th in SEC
2015 (4-4) 8th in SEC
2016 (4-4) 8th in SEC

Looks like we are in the dumpster..

truth is hard to swallow

except it's not the truth.

7th,8th and 9th out of 14 teams is in the middle, not the dumpster.

also, what happened to 2012? nice to conveniently leave it off to try and support a false claim.

If you are not first or second place, you are in the dumpster.
As for 2012, an anomaly does not make a trend.
SpringAg92
Rod Tidwell said:

You can vote no on this petition just so people know

This. Voted NO!
LightningDammitt
AG
Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

College football is cyclical, so beating them on a regular basis is not a consistent given. Don't forget media/ref/fan biases, that often tilt the game. This game is not a good measuring stick. A better measure is playing in a better conference against better teams, while they wallow in their conference with inferior teams, wishing they had better competition just to even compare.

Recruits MAY notice for a short time, but it is not that big of an impact. Even if they do notice, the media and the majority of Texans will typically spin the narrative (even with a TAMU win) against TAMU.

I don't think the recruits "get" the rivalry.

The current impression is that we are playing a tougher league right now. The impression is they are barely keeping up in the Big12 now. The impression is we are better now. The media STILL tries to spin this, and tu still gets their share (if not more) of recruits. Playing them, and beating them will not change this. Playing better competition will.
LightningDammitt
AG
Duckhook said:

MooreTrucker said:

Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

Please. I've been watching since the mid-60s. So we're going to quit playing every team that we ever got a bad call against? So long LSU! Adios Auburn! Go put your tinfoil hat back on.
No, but to continue the game against an opponent that consistently manipulates the playing field is not productive.

The media, most Texans, fans and sports pundits will play any TAMU wins down, and proudly parade the tu wins. See the "they've truned a corner" hype after their first win last year for one recent example. While the media was hyping them, that same media was downplaying our non-conference schedule/wins.
ArbAg
AG
I'd much rather sign a petition to NEVER play t.u. again.
Delighted that they are now in our rear view mirror, they should continue to shrink as we travel down our own path.
LightningDammitt
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

2012 was an outlier. New to the conference, new style of play, good qb... the n2013 happened
EXACTLY! We were SUPPOSED to get beat down in 2012.

2012 being an outlier shows our potential. We would have done even better in the Big12, but it would have been downplayed... "Oh... the Big12 is having a down year... Look at Texas, they aren't doing well either..."
Duckhook
AG
LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

College football is cyclical, so beating them on a regular basis is not a consistent given. Don't forget media/ref/fan biases, that often tilt the game. This game is not a good measuring stick. A better measure is playing in a better conference against better teams, while they wallow in their conference with inferior teams, wishing they had better competition just to even compare.

Recruits MAY notice for a short time, but it is not that big of an impact. Even if they do notice, the media and the majority of Texans will typically spin the narrative (even with a TAMU win) against TAMU.

The current impression is that we are playing a tougher league right now. The impression is they are barely keeping up in the Big12 now. The impression is we are better now. The media STILL tries to spin this, and tu still gets their share (if not more) of recruits. Playing them, and beating them will not change this. Playing better competition will.

I guess I just don't have enough BAS to think "the media and the majority of Texans" are biased against us and even Aggie wins would be spun against us.
MooreTrucker
AG
Duckhook said:

MooreTrucker said:

Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

We play LSU and Auburn because they, and we, are SEC West. tu would be OOC. Not the same thing.
MooreTrucker
AG
Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

I guess I just don't have enough BAS to think "the media and the majority of Texans" are biased against us and even Aggie wins would be spun against us.
LOL...you didn't hear the talk shows, during their coaching searches, talking tu up as a top program? You don't seem them rank every preseason poll even after multiple 5-7 years? You didn't see the writer that picked them as a "dark horse" playoff team this next season? The bias is evident.
LightningDammitt
AG
Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

LightningDammitt said:

Duckhook said:

Actually I think the reverse is true. When "battered", most victims don't even recognize the abuse. They definitely don't recognize when they are being lured back into an abusive "friendship".

It is not necessarily spun against us I guess, but Aggie wins would not get as much hype as tu wins. Take the most last geme for example. There is not a single rivalry discussion that occurs where it is NOT pointed out that tu won the last game.
AGGies0311
But A&M did loose the last geme
schmellba99
AG
Duckhook said:

Here's the deal - we have never beat them on a regular basis, historically speaking. They own the series with a 2:1 margin. We had to win for 10 years in a row to even get to that margin, and that streak ended 20 years ago. Since then we are at a .500 or so mark against them, so the idea that we beat them "on a regular basis" is patently false.

The other point is this - what do we get when we win? Bragging rights - and that's about it. Because, theoretically, we are in a tougher conference and have tougher players and play a tougher schedule - so we are supposed to win. We do brag about that, correct? We do brag about how craptastic the Big Whatever is, correct?. So winning is not all that gainful in the grand scheme of things. Losing, however, is much different. When you lose a game you are supposed to win, the loss is magnified. It gives tu much more than simple bragging rights - they get to crow about beating the state SEC team, and they will crow about it mercilessly. They will use it in recruiting, and we will surely suffer more in the media with a loss to them than they ever would with a loss to us.

It is akin to a bet with them - where we are betting $1000 to win their $100 and they are betting $100 to win our $1000. It's just not a smart move on our part to make. The history of the rivalry is now, and should be, just that - history.

We have great budding rivalries with Arkansas and LSU on the conference schedule. We are about 10 wins apart in each of those series, both of which exceed 60 games. We would serve ourselves better stoking the fires of those rivalries versus trying to bring back the burnt out rivalry with tu. We are doing good with Arkansas, and we need to fuggin beat LSU. Beating them a couple of times will have them seething with hate against us - and it will be a better and more evenly matched hate than anything tu related ever would.
LightningDammitt
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Lol! How in the world did you come up with that response? Please show me where I said we won that game? I need to edit my comment evidently.?

Listen- You are spinning that last game, exactly how the media is spinning it... You claim we are a cupcake because we play cupcakes... Then, when discussing the last game, that tu won, you make it sound like some kind of great feat. Whenever beat tu, it is touted as a fluke, not consistent, or... that tu was having a bad year. You are perpetuating the narrative that TAMU is nothing more than a cupcake.

Wash, rinse, repeat...

The media spun our SEC move as a weak move. That we would be a bottom dweller loser. To this point, we are not "champions", but we are not at the bottom either.
LightningDammitt
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

What? I quoted:

There is not a single rivalry discussion that occurs where it is NOT pointed out that tu won the last game.

Where did you get that I was saying TAMU won it?
AGGies0311
Right,, A&M did loose that game
LightningDammitt
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Right,, A&M did loose that game
You seem confused.

Wrong... tu did win that game...

That better?
AGGies0311
I know... I was there... A&M lost the game
LightningDammitt
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

I know... I was there... A&M lost the game
Sheesh! I guess you are arguing with someone else... By all means, carry on!
Mudpie
I'm solidly in the no camp.
AGGies0311
No I am arguing with you Lightning... tu won A&M loosed
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You are either trolling or can't read.
AGGies0311
[Take a day off - Staff]
LightningDammitt
AG

AGGies0311
TXAGBQ76
AG
Bama/Auburn
Army/Navy
USC/ND
USC/UCLA
tu/OU
OU/NU
OSU/UM

Are all holding on line 1. In my dealings around the country over the years, the tu/TAMU was always considered basically a local rivalry game- nowhere near the "best rivalry in college football"
MTrexler95
AG
Never forget the 100 year decision. t.u. is and always will be condescending, manipulative, greedy, and only in it for their self interest. Texas A&M University should have no reason to ever give the 'sips anything to help them out. Never. Ever. They'd bury us in a heart beat. They are death incarnate. They are evil. They can revel in their own inglorious poo infested dumpster fire of incompetence and self aggrandizement.

Q - How do you get a 'sip off your porch?
A- Pay for the pizza.

Q - How do you best acknowledge the great job a 'sip has done?
A - Drop a dollar in the barista jar.

Q - What's a 'sip do after Graduation with his/her diploma?
A - Scribbles "Will work for food" on the back so it's easy to read as someone drives by.
T-rex'95
TexAgs91
AG
You come up with this petition after JFF is gone and after Myles Garret and what is it 8 other great players are off to the NFL? Are you high?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.