Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Petition to Bring Back TAMU v. t.u. Game

49,800 Views | 439 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rootube
mrfun83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This again?
DayAg!
S
I cant even say anything anymore. You just cant fix stupid in some of these people wanting to play again. I've said a hundred times. You can name a full page of why A&M shouldn't play them anymore. But not one bullet point can you put as to why the game should be played again. Not one valid reason. NOT ONE./
RhodeAg
AG
So...you guys are fine with having no rivals...just a group of names on the schedule that excite no one. Great.

That's not me. I love the passion of facing a rival you truly despise (and they despise you). Texas was it. Beat 'em and it was a great thing. Lose?...it was a real downer.

But there was always next year.

We have no rivals in the SEC. Just a schedule. I don't hate LSU...or Alabama...or Mississippi State...or anyone in the SEC. I actually like Alabama...and how they run things.

I hate not hating some school.

i still hate the University of Texas at Austin. Gig 'em.
rocky the dog
AG
Get a life, man.
RhodeAg
AG
So Rocky...after what I wrote...that's your response? Ever attended Texas A&M? Just curious. Ever sung the Aggie War Hymn?
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
I disagree.

I declare that any reason stated about why we SHOULDNT play them is invalid. And only reasons FOR the game are valid.

Wow it's easy to win arguments.
StickTogetherAgs
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

I disagree.

I declare that any reason stated about why we SHOULDNT play them is invalid. And only reasons FOR the game are valid.

Wow it's easy to win arguments.

This is not about winning or losing an argument. This is about what's best for Texas A&M University.

& that's to never play those lying cheaters ever again.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
RhodeAg said:

Would love to see the Texas /Texas A&M rivalry resume on the football field. Four years of working on the Aggie Bonfire as a prelude to the game vs. the hated Longhorns was a beautiful thing. I miss it.

We have no rivals in the SEC. As Christian Kirk said this season...we have a list of games to play on the schedule but no actual rival.

A real rivalry (not the faux kind some Aggies say we have with LSU...or Alabama...or whatever) brings passion, hate and emotion. We don't have that anymore. I miss it.

I understand your opinion, and used to feel that way myself, but I've changed.

First of all, Bonfire isn't coming back on campus...ever. I worked on Bonfire, just as you did, and I had a hard time letting go of a lot of things surrounding Bonfire. Moving to the SEC has been a great way for this university to move on. We should have done it years ago.

Second, playing tu annually on Thanksgiving or Rivalry Week they way FSU/UF, UGA/GT, USC/Clemson, and UK/Louisville play would have been optimal. We tried that. The SEC tried that. Heck, the SEC has even set up the schedule with Arkansas/Missouri the same weekend as A&M/LSU to accommodate the renewal of KU/MU and A&M/tu with little impact on conference scheduling. The reality is that tu "really" isn't interested in playing us anymore. Sure, they act like they do, but everyone on the inside knows that our phone ain't ringing, and neither is Missouri's.

Third, we have a very long history with Arkansas and LSU. When Arkansas left the SWC we had played them more than we had played Tech. LSU has played us more than they have played Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, UGA, and obviously USC. We are their rival. When A&M finally beats them, and we get good again, this game will boil over just like it did in the 80s and 90s. The fact is that we haven't done our part. And A&M/Arkansas just needs to return to the campuses.

The honest truth is that we had absolutely zero history with the old Big 8 schools when the XII was formed. It was a bad marriage. If we play tu OOC, they will never treat us as equal partners. They will find a way to control it politically.

You miss playing tu. I get that. And I do think the game will return some day, but when it does it won't be the same. They ruined it by letting it die when we left the XII.
hunter2012
AG
The price for water cooler smack talk isn't worth it. You sip apologists need to get over them or go watch more BDF football, but don't drag the rest of into that den of scorpions. Play them in a bowl or bust.
RhodeAg
AG
Chicken Ranch, I hear you. Maybe some day, we will actually develop a rivalry with Arkansas...or LSU...or someone.

The rivalry with Texas was unique. We both inhabit Texas. Nothing like this rivalry will replace it. Not LSU...not Arkansas. This is what we have lost.

Yeah...monetarily we're better off. But there is no passion. And i lament that. i guess not many Aggies care...and that's fine. I can't do anything to change that.
BVAg85
AG
When we start beating LSU, it will be a good rivalry.
Class of 65
AG
I am 76 years old and I don't want to ever see any longhorn game again. I still relive the 1963 game the longhorns stole from us.
MaroonMachine
Nah
SA-AG72
AG
Staff, please move this to the "Old Rivalries" forum so the snowflakes can continue their argument where it belongs. tia
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

So Rocky...after what I wrote...that's your response? Ever attended Texas A&M?
My Ag tag speaks for itself. I don't owe you an accounting of what I did as a student or after I graduated.
Spyderman
AG
RhodeAg said:

So...you guys are fine with having no rivals...just a group of names on the schedule that excite no one. Great.

That's not me. I love the passion of facing a rival you truly despise (and they despise you). Texas was it. Beat 'em and it was a great thing. Lose?...it was a real downer.

We have no rivals in the SEC. Just a schedule. I don't hate LSU...or Alabama...or Mississippi State...or anyone in the SEC. I actually like Alabama...and how they run things.

Don't you think its a tad early to be making this assessment? I'd say LSU is and will increase over the years as our rival. UTa is in the past bro.
Reno Hightower
Some Aggies NEED to be with the longhorns (win or lose) and some don't.
KahunaBurger
OP

I appreciate the heads up.
I have another place to go to voice my strong opposition to such an idiotic proposition.

Thank You.

Please, do not play the tea sips in any sport again. Ever.
SlackerAg
AG
It's more interesting with non-conference P5 road trips to UCLA, Clemson, Colorado...
Captain Caveman
AG
tu can pound sand. Hope we never play them again.
ghollow
AG
If we do, I hope it is in a bowl game. Otherwise, i have no interest in playing them
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
(Removed:110240)
AG
RhodeAg said:

Please help me understand how playing in the toughest conference doesn't excite you? Sure we don't hate the teams in the SEC, and they don't hate us. Why do you need to hate someone to be excited?

I would argue that our rivalry game is historically what has kept us from winning championships. As a fan base we were content with beating texas. Our whole season revolved around that game.

I am fine with the game coming back at some point, but not until after we have a championship or two.
TXAG89
AG
Please stop bringing this crap up! There is no reason to EVER consider playing t.u. again! Leave it alone already!
2thFixinAg
screw em
bruno319
AG
RhodeAg said:

So Rocky...after what I wrote...that's your response? Ever attended Texas A&M? Just curious. Ever sung the Aggie War Hymn?

How are you calling anyone out, especially someone with an Ag tag, about being an Aggie and singing the War Hymn when you claim to hate t.u. but are falling all over yourself referring to them by their preferred name, capitals and all, extending them a level of reverence they don't deserve?! That's bad bull! You sure you actually attended A&M and really hate them?!

And, I'm with the others who say no, not unless it's luck of the draw in post-season. Agree we need to let this go. They made the decision, they need to live with it. I'm happy in the SEC and our focus needs to be winning the West, the conference, a NY 6, a natty, etc., and t.u. doesn't get us there. It won't be up to any of us poors if it happens or not, petitions be damned whether for or against it. It'll be up to big money donors, presidents, and politicians from both schools who force the issue and decide it's time to reinstate for whatever reason they spin.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
RhodeAg said:

Chicken Ranch, I hear you. Maybe some day, we will actually develop a rivalry with Arkansas...or LSU...or someone.

The rivalry with Texas was unique. We both inhabit Texas. Nothing like this rivalry will replace it. Not LSU...not Arkansas. This is what we have lost.

Yeah...monetarily we're better off. But there is no passion. And i lament that. i guess not many Aggies care...and that's fine. I can't do anything to change that.

But, we do have an "actual" rivalry with Arkansas and LSU! And how can you say that being in the SEC doesn't get you pumped? If it doesn't, then no one can help you. We play in the best damn conference in the country. And personally, I've always wanted us to be in the SEC. I was really disappointed we didn't go in '95 when the SWC imploded.

The XII conference always was "meh." How did you get pumped up about playing KU, ISU, KSU, OU, and OSU? OU sucked when we joined the league, if you recall. We had absolutely zero history with any of those schools when we joined the XII. And when I was a student the Arkansas game was always much bigger than the Tech game.

Again, tu is who canceled our game with them - not us. Quit lamenting about a school that lectured us about how we should know our place, and how we were never an important rival to them, and by leaving the XII without their blessing we lost the "privilege" of playing them.

No, fu<k tu.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Never, ever play tu again, Never, ever, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
StickTogetherAgs
Mark Fairchild said:

Never, ever play tu again, Never, ever, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Somebody pron blast this thread so it gets nuked.
alamoaggie 64
Firmly Against!
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Emilio Fantastico said:

Somebody pron blast this thread so it gets nuked.
Best idea yet!
bruh
AG
I honestly don't get the draw by some to still willingly want to play this game. They absolutely nuked the Big 12 because of their greed, consistently get the ref special treatment that swings games their way, deploy dirty recruiting tactics, and have one of the worst fan bases I have come in contact with.

LET. THEM. ROT.

Texas A&M has nothing to gain from this game, while they have everything to gain. It is that simple.
schmellba99
AG
RhodeAg said:

Yeah...no.

We do have rivals. Tell Arkansas right now that we are not their rival. They hate us - the friggin despise us. Winning 6 in a row will do that do you. A long history with a team will do that to you.

LSU doesn't like us, and us getting Jimbo and going after their DC really stoked a smoldering fire. I work around a whole lot of LSU alumns - they get up for a few games a year - right now it's Alabama and Florida. Florida because they have been a historic rival for LSU in conference, and Alabama since about 2000 when both teams were wrestling for control of the west. But ever so slightly behind is A&M.

Not too long ago we had a very bitter and very good rivalry with LSU, and I guarantee you that if we win a game or two against them you will see a couple of things - one is a power shift in the west division, and two is a level of animosity coming from the swamps you cannot imagine. Nothing coming from Austin will ever reach that level, especially if we manage to start chewing into the mere 13 game lead LSU has on our historical record against them. And if you can't create some hate towards LSU, then you really aren't a fan of college football.

We don't have a 115 year history with Arkansas or LSU. We certainly don't have a 118 year history where we've won at a .337 or so clip. We do have 60+ game historical rivalries with both though, and we are 11 wins back from Arkansas and 13 back from LSU.

If you say we don't have a rival in the SEC, you both don't know much about history and are just looking for something to be debbie downer about.
TMK
NO, no
The Chicken Ranch
AG
You are correct! We have a 119 year history with LSU and a 115 year history with Arkansas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.