Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Petition to Bring Back TAMU v. t.u. Game

49,786 Views | 439 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rootube
BVAg85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LSU fans absolutely hated us the 90's. Then they chickened out of the series because we won a few in a row over them.
Busdriver99
AG
Not this again...
RhodeAg
AG
Correct...we don't have a rivalry with anyone. Our own Christian Kirk said it this season. He said we have no opponents we can consider rivals.

Texas was our one rival. We despised them...they despised us. It was like Alabama - Auburn. That...is a rival.

Right now we have no one as a rival.

Maybe somewhere down the road, we will develop one over time.

Remember the excitement and passion we saw each year with our rivalry with Texas? Was that worthless in your minds?

Look...playing Texas again doesn't mean we leave the SEC and move to the Big 12. It means we play a team each year we should be playing. Our rival. Yeah...they may say OU is their rival...but they're not. We were. Ask any t-sip who they'd rather not lose to. Texas A&M would be front and center.

Time to put order to our universe. Start playing t.u, again.
Don't take life too seriously...no one gets out alive.
SA-AG72
AG
Quote:

Time to put order to our universe. Start playing t.u, again.

We are in separate universes.
schmellba99
AG
Disagree completely. We have rivals.

And while we may have considered tu a rival, half the time they didnt with us. A rivalry takes two,sides, not just one. We have rivalries that have been in historical existence with Arky and LSU. You may not personally like them as much, but that doesnt mean a whole lot to me.

I get it, you have Stockholm syndrome and revel in an abusive relationship. I dont cotton to that, we are better off worrying about Texas A&M and,not trying deperately to one up tu.

Sad, but it is going to take years before mentality like yours dies. Until then, plenty of you will long to geovel for the scraps from tu's table. I dont get it, other than a Pavlovian complex.
greg.w.h
AG
We have six like-minded schools in our division and at least three more that are very good opponents in the other division (Georgia, South Carolina, Florida).

We have great football histories with LSU and Arkansas. We have intense games with Alabama and Florida in every sport we compete in. We are playing in a great conference where everyone is equal at the table.

The rivalries will emerge. And the University of Texas is a distraction that properly created not only the impetus to move but chose to join a conference-wide blackall of us when we moved after they convinced us it was time to go.
gibberish
AG
Still not interested in a tu game. Keep scheduling big name schools instead like Clemson. Anyone fancy a trip back to LA for USC?
RhodeAg
AG
A little overly dramatic there, aren't you, schmellba99?

We have rivalries with teams like LSU? Really? Do you know what a rivalry is? I don't think you do.

Stockholm syndrome? 'Abusive relationship'? Ridding A&M of the 'mentality of people like me?' Oh good grief...lighten up, Louise. Sounds like you got a serious case of the...uh...'serious'.

I miss the game with Texas. Much rode on it for both sides. It involved the two flagship universities of the State of Texas, which has a football culture second to none. The game was woven into our very Aggie traditions (I was there late-1960s into the 1970s). I will survive just fine without it. But it'd sure be more fun of we still had it.

Nothing better than beating Texas on the football field. Too bad our new Aggie generations won't experience that.
JodyMcD96
AG
RhodeAg said:

We have rivalries with teams like LSU? Really? Do you know what a rivalry is? I don't think you do.

Stockholm syndrome? 'Abusive relationship'? Ridding A&M of the 'mentality of people like me?' Oh good grief...lighten up, Louise. Sounds like you got a serious case of the...uh...'serious'.

I miss the game with Texas. Much rode on it for both sides. It involved the two flagship universities of the State of Texas, which has a football culture second to none. The game was woven into our very Aggie traditions (I was there late-1960s into the 1970s). I will survive just fine without it. But it'd sure be more fun of we still had it.

Nothing better than beating Texas on the football field. Too bad our new Aggie generations won't experience that.

They'll never experience on campus Bonfire either. The whole t.u./A&M thing is over. Look back fondly if you must, but just know that it will never be the same again and that is for the best.

It's time to sing the first verse of the War Hymn twice and saw an appropriate appendage off of the current opponent (paws, tails, tusks, wings, etc.).

Never again.
(Removed:110240)
AG
RhodeAg said:

Nothing better than beating Texas on the football field.

This is exactly what's wrong with the group that wants to bring back the rivalry.

There is something better than beating texas on the field; it's called championships! I would gladly trade 10 wins over texas to have experienced a modern era championship.

This mentality is what has kept us from championships as every season hung on the game with texas.
Texas_40
AG
JodyMcD96 said:

RhodeAg said:

They'll never experience on campus Bonfire either. The whole t.u./A&M thing is over. Look back fondly if you must, but just know that it will never be the same again and that is for the best.

It's time to sing the first verse of the War Hymn twice and saw an appropriate appendage off of the current opponent (paws, tails, tusks, wings, etc.).

Never again.
May be a little awkward singing about sawing off appendages for Vols, Commodores, Rebels, etc...
RhodeAg
AG
AggieDore said:

Quote:

This is exactly what's wrong with the group that wants to bring back the rivalry.

There is something better than beating texas on the field; it's called championships! I would gladly trade 10 wins over texas to have experienced a modern era championship.

This mentality is what has kept us from championships as every season hung on the game with texas.

I was unaware that one could not win a championship if one beat Texas. I guess I foolishly thought we could do both. What was I thinking?

And I see the 'mentality' thing again being mentioned. It seems mindless...but it keeps being brought up by posters as if it's a real thing. Go figure.
schmellba99
AG
RhodeAg said:

And there you go, you summed up everything I was talking about in a single simple sentence.

Kudos!
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

Nothing better than beating Texas on the football field.
Nothing? Nothing, you say?

AggieDore is saying what I was thinking...how about a national championship? Isn't that better than beating that stupid school in Austin? Not to you, I suppose. C'mon, guys, let's beat t.u. and everything else is alright. Oh, brother.
Phoenix1
The win in Tuscaloosa > any win ever experienced against tu minus the bonfire game.

NEVER AGAIN!
Artimus Gordon
No way! We finally get away from those SOB's and are doing quite well and some of y'all want to crawl back in bed with those bedbugs.

Reno Hightower
Some Aggies need'em and some Aggies don't.
kbarj
AG
As a student in the mid-70s, I thought of the Longhorns as a huge rival and the game was such a big deal. We split 2-2 my years as a student. After I graduated, the 'Sips I met unanimously stated that we were not their rivals, Oklahoma was. Beating us was no big deal, they just didn't want to lose to us. When we won, oh it was obvious we were cheating. When they won, then that's just the way it was supposed to be.

Sorry, I don't miss it.
(Removed:110240)
AG
RhodeAg said:

AggieDore said:

Quote:

I was unaware that one could not win a championship if one beat Texas. I guess I foolishly thought we could do both. What was I thinking?

And I see the 'mentality' thing again being mentioned. It seems mindless...but it keeps being brought up by posters as if it's a real thing. Go figure.

I never said we couldn't do both, but fans were quite content for years with just beating texas. We hate them so much, we say things like "nothing better than beating Texas". We have been content with coaches that would have been fired much sooner at other schools, but were given a longer leash because they beat texas (Fran and Slocum come to mind).

The first definition for mentality on Google is as follows: the characteristic attitude of mind or way of thinking of a person or group.

The idea that there is "nothing better than beating Texas" is definitely a way of thinking that a few Aggies seem to subscribe to. Based on the definition, I would call that a mentality, but feel free to disagree.
cdowl38
rootube
AG
Hey look petitions do work after all!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.