Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

286,577 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
MaysGrad09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Acceptance rates

UCLA 16.2%
UC Berkeley 19.1%
UC San Diego 30.2%
UC Davis 32.8%
UC Irvine 33.4%
UC Santa Barbara 33.5%
UC Santa Cruz 46.3%
UC Riverside 56.7%

The UC system is truly a great university system, probably the best in the world. The TAMU System should be similarly capping enrollment at 35,000 students and directing the rest to other system campuses. Otherwise what's the point of having an 11 university system if the majority of the students go to College Station?
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
The TAMU System should be similarly capping enrollment at 35,000 students and directing the rest to other system campuses. Otherwise what's the point of having an 11 university system if the majority of the students go to College Station?

Which begs the question, why is the TAMU system allowing the majority of its students to go one campus when there are 10 others? Has Sharp ever mentioned this in one of his countless interviews? I don't think I've ever heard him mention one of the 10 other system campuses that he is supposed to be overseeing and improving.
MaysGrad09
For enrollment comparison:

UC Los Angeles - 42,190
UC Berkeley - 36,204
UC Davis - 34,355
UC San Diego - 30,310
UC Irvine - 29,558
UC Santa Barbara - 22,225
UC Riverside - 21,297
UC Santa Cruz 17,203

TAMU College Station - 62,185
TAMU Commerce - 12,000
TAMU Corpus Christi - 10,510
TAMU Tarleton - 10,500
TAMU Prairie View - 8,608
TAMU Kingsville - 8,067
TAMU West Texas - 7,843
TAMU International - 7,037
TAMU San Antonio - 4,000
TAMU Central Texas - 2,173
TAMU Texarkana -1,950
TAMU Qatar - 543
cecil77
AG
Wow. Talk about under utilizing assets!

TAMU's problems are summarized very will just with those enrollment numbers...
Ross Street

quote:
TAMU College Station - 62,185
TAMU Commerce - 12,000
TAMU Corpus Christi - 10,510
TAMU Tarleton - 10,500
TAMU Kingsville - 8,067
TAMU West Texas - 7,843
TAMU International - 7,037
TAMU San Antonio - 4,000
TAMU Central Texas - 2,173
TAMU Texarkana -1,950
TAMU Qatar - 543
The A&M system is grossly unbalanced to say the least. I've heard the smaller ones on the bottom consistently lose money for the system. They're not self-sustainable at their current size.

• TAMU CS needs to be capped around the 40,000 mark like UCLA.
    • Kingsville and Corpus Christi need to merge.
    • TAMU Central Texas needs to merge with Tarleton or be cut.
    • Commerce needs a huge infusion of resources since it's the #2 ranked system school.
    • San Antonio needs a huge infusion of resources since it's the only system school in an urban environment that will be serving a significant population. There should also be a partnership between the San Antonio campus and the International campus, perhaps a merger.
    • Texarkana and Qatar need to be cut. I understand Qatar is self-sufficient, but the system's attention needs to be spent solely on elevating system schools that serve Texans.
    • It's probably too late now, but the TAMU System should have taken over the UH system when it had the chance. A&M would do better to serve urban areas where there's significant demand.
bagger05
AG
Of course there is a difference between our systems, and that is that all of those UC schools are top tier schools while A&M's College Station campus is the only top tier school in our system and is only one of two top tier public schools in the entire state.

There is room for about 240,000 students at top-notch public schools in California, and only about half of that in Texas.
bagger05
AG
quote:

Come on, Cecil... I think the problems are summarized even better by looking at the names of the schools.

Look at that list of UC schools and six of those eight schools are AAU members and the other two are still good schools. How many on the list of A&M schools are "good schools"?
biobioprof
Need to add UC Merced (6000 in 2013).
Ross Street
quote:

• Commerce needs a huge infusion of resources since it's the #2 ranked system school.
    • San Antonio needs a huge infusion of resources since it's the only system school in an urban environment that will be serving a significant population. There should also be a partnership between the San Antonio campus and the International campus, perhaps a merger.
    • Texarkana and Qatar need to be cut. I understand Qatar is self-sufficient, but the system's attention needs to be spent solely on elevating system schools that serve Texans.
    • It's probably too late now, but the TAMU System should have taken over the UH system when it had the chance. A&M would do better to serve urban areas where there's significant demand.

So the A&M System would look like this:

TAMU College Station - 40,000
TAMU Corpus/Kingsville - 18,577
TAMU San Antonio/International - 11,037
TAMU Tarleton/Central Texas - 12,673
TAMU Commerce - 12,000
TAMU West Texas - 7,843

That's much better than what it looks like now.
Ross Street
cecil77
AG
quote:
Look at that list of UC schools and six of those eight schools are AAU members and the other two are still good schools. How many on the list of A&M schools are "good schools"?
They're not. And that's the point. They should be. We need to make them into good schools. You're making the exact point. It's not a static situation, as in "oh those schools aren't good enough, so we need a humongous Tier 1 CS campus"

Texas needs more Tier 1 institutions, and more quality education over all. Strengthening our system schools is a way to do that. Choosing which schools to develop into Tier 1 schools will be a tough (and political) decision, but we've (the state of Texas) has plenty to choose from.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:

TAMU Commerce - 12,000
TAMU West Texas - 7,843

Grow those schools to 20,000-40,000 students and we just might have a university system we can be proud off. It would also be good to have a presence in Houston and DFW to go along with San Antonio. Commerce is in the DFW metro area as well as the Law School and the new Tarleton campus in Fort Worth, but there's nothing in Houston except the Galveston campus.
MaysGrad09
quote:
Grow those schools to 20,000-40,000 students and we just might have a university system we can be proud off. It would also be good to have a presence in Houston and DFW to go along with San Antonio. Commerce is in the DFW metro area as well as the Law School and the new Tarleton campus in Fort Worth, but there's nothing in Houston except the Galveston campus.

Mays has an MBA program in City Centre in Houston.

http://mays.tamu.edu/citycentre/
biobioprof
quote:

If we really wanted to make higher ed in Texas more like the UC system (the good parts only, of course, don't copy the pension system for example), it would make more sense to

• Make a new system that includes existing Tier 1 publics and those that have the most plausible path to getting there. That would be A&M, tu, Tech, U of H, UT-Dallas, and maybe someone I'm forgetting.
  • Merge UTSA and TAMUSA and push that to be another Tier 1 in the long run.

This, of course, would never happen unless there was a way to completely wall it off from anything related to athletics. And even then I'd put the chances somewhere just slightly north of snowballs in Hell.

It's interesting that although the UC/Cal State system is viewed as the model for balancing high end schools with serving the larger population in a public system, it really hasn't been replicated elsewhere. Look at the other large population states; most have setups more like what we have: Michigan and Michigan State. Wisconsin has a great campus in Madison and a bunch of lower tier campuses (the people at UW-Milwaukee like to think they're in the same league, but I don't think they are). Ohio State. I suspect it's related to when it all happened relative to the post-WWII growth in higher ed, combined with where population and economic growth was happening at the time. And intra-state politics.
MaysGrad09
quote:
quote:

Come on, Cecil... I think the problems are summarized even better by looking at the names of the schools.

Why do you think that is??

The UC System and A&M System have almost identical endowments of $13 billion and $12.7 billion. Meanwhile, UC has 243,000 students to educate and A&M only has 143,000....so we have roughly 60% more money to educate students. And yet our system schools are terrible and there's are world class. Why do you think that is??
biobioprof
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why do you think that is??

The UC System and A&M System have almost identical endowments of $13 billion and $12.7 billion. Meanwhile, UC has 243,000 students to educate and A&M only has 143,000....so we have roughly 60% more money to educate students. And yet our system schools are terrible and there's are world class. Why do you think that is??
I realize this was not addressed to me, but the short answer is

budget is correlated with quality, but the direction of any causality is bidirectional and
budget >> contribution from endowment
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:

If we really wanted to make higher ed in Texas more like the UC system (the good parts only, of course, don't copy the pension system for example), it would make more sense to

• Make a new system that includes existing Tier 1 publics and those that have the most plausible path to getting there. That would be A&M, tu, Tech, U of H, UT-Dallas, and maybe someone I'm forgetting.
  • Merge UTSA and TAMUSA and push that to be another Tier 1 in the long run.

This, of course, would never happen unless there was a way to completely wall it off from anything related to athletics. And even then I'd put the chances somewhere just slightly north of snowballs in Hell.

It's interesting that although the UC/Cal State system is viewed as the model for balancing high end schools with serving the larger population in a public system, it really hasn't been replicated elsewhere. Look at the other large population states; most have setups more like what we have: Michigan and Michigan State. Wisconsin has a great campus in Madison and a bunch of lower tier campuses (the people at UW-Milwaukee like to think they're in the same league, but I don't think they are). Ohio State. I suspect it's related to when it all happened relative to the post-WWII growth in higher ed, combined with where population and economic growth was happening at the time. And intra-state politics.
The SUNY system is organized similarly to the UC system in that it has its 4 doctoral university campuses in Albany, Buffalo, Binghamton, and Stony Brook for the top tier students, and then lower tiers of schools to serve other levels of students. Their main campuses just don't have the same prestige of the UC System, despite fairly low acceptance rates and relatively high incoming student credentials. Probably due to the simple fact that they have waaaaay less money to spend per student than the UC system.

Ohio State is actually not anything like what we have, nor is it like what California has. Every public university and college in Ohio is actually a part of the University System of Ohio, from Ohio State and U of Cincinnati all the way down to to the various community colleges around the state. Which actually allows for some pretty innovative stuff since their campuses are not in competition with one another for students or funding. Like Miami University in Oxford, which is designed to have a smallish student body, with a student education first focus that is modeled after smaller private liberal arts universities (and ranked second in the nation for undergraduate teaching behind only Princeton), but at state school prices. That kind of thing wouldn't really be feasible in most other states.
Captain Augustus McCrae
Stolen from the rivalries board

quote:
4. A&M needs to draw the line at their current enrollment and especially in engineering

growing over 50 to 55,000 students is just stupid and greatly devalues the residential university experience

the TAMU System has multiple campuses that are way too small to be as efficient as they can be (universities down in the sub 15,000 enrollment range which is all but College Station) and most of them with the exception of Kingsville have engineering programs that are even smaller and less efficient for the overhead of having a school or college of engineering in place and the administration that goes with it VS the enrollment

compare this to the UT System where UTA, UTD UTEP and UTSA all have large and growing colleges of engineering and even UT-RGV and UTPB are in the process of growing theirs

there is no reason other than false pride and stupidity to have College Station explode in enrollment while other campuses sit at under 10,000 students and with engineering programs that offer 2-3 different degrees

5. A&M needs to stop crapping out system centers

kill the Midlothian stupidity and the Fort Worth Tarleton waste of cash and if anything have TAMU-Commerce shift their programs out of the dallas UCD turd and over to the Fort Worth Law School Building and then if Tarleton wants to join in there and offer a couple of actual NEEDED degree programs instead of some McDegrees have that happen

6. keep TAMU Central Texas as upper division only for the long term future

7. A&M Corpus and A&M Kingsville should be looked at for a possible merger of administrations similar to what happened with UT-Brownsville and UT-Pan Am into UT-RGV the duplication of administration is just a waste at schools so close and with modern communications technology

8. stop hiring morons for chancellors that believe their first job is to micromanage the College Station campus
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

TAMU Commerce - 12,000
TAMU West Texas - 7,843

I've lived all over Texas and have been in California for the last 30 yrs.

I'm here to tell you there's a reason UC can attract high talent and world class students to the likes of SB, Irvine, La Jolla, Westwood, etc...and as an alternative, Corpus, San Angelo, Pairie View, etc just don't compare. I shouldn't have to tell any of you 'why'.

Perhaps UC isn't the model to shoot for?

U guys' transparent anti-SharpPerry rhetoric will manifest itself in any opportune way possible...eg the flag room canard, the univ seal canard...the rubric that the university won't 'listen to the students'. You should just admit it...you hate the idea of having a Perry designate running the university and you'll say anything to manufacture a controversy.
MaysGrad09
quote:
I'm here to tell you there's a reason UC can attract high talent and world class students to the likes of SB, Irvine, La Jolla, Westwood, etc...and as an alternative, Corpus, San Angelo, Pairie View, etc just don't compare. I shouldn't have to tell any of you 'why'.

The majority of students in both systems are in-state students. Those students are drawn to the academic reputation of the institutions vs. other in-state institutions, not the scenery. Although the UC system has the best scenery too.
cecil77
AG
Sid, a scenery canard is beneath even your increasingly weak responses to the legitimate concerns being discussed.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

The majority of students in both systems are in-state students. Those students are drawn to the academic reputation of the institutions vs. other in-state institutions, not the scenery. Although the UC system has the best scenery too.

Show me a phd offered $150k/yr to live in Santa Barbara vs $150k/yr to live in kingsville and I'll show u a californian

Students are likewise attracted to Ca, all else being equal.

The SharpPerry haters on this board are the only ones who can't see this
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Show me a phd offered $150k/yr to live in Santa Barbara vs $150k/yr to live in kingsville and I'll show u a californian

so the options are a 900 square foot 2 bedroom apartment with a strict budget to make sure you can pay your rent every month, or a 3,000 square foot house with plenty of money left over for things like vacations, international travel, and luxury purchases?

My ass would be in Kingsville on a heartbeat.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

so the options are a 900 square foot 2 bedroom apartment with a strict budget to make sure you can pay your rent every month, or a 3,000 square foot house with plenty of money left over for things like vacations, international travel, and luxury purchases?

Hey I love tx as much as you. But this: There's a reason property in Tx is cheaper than that in Ca. Same reason academics and others will chose Ca over Tx all else being equal.

It's hard to beat evidence my brother. Thx for giving me some.
Captain Augustus McCrae
More people are moving to Texas than California. How do you explain that?
Chickenhawk
Can this thread ****ing die already?
VanZandt92
quote:
Can this thread ****ing die already?

No but I'll bump it.
VanZandt92
quote:
Sid, a scenery canard is beneath even your increasingly weak responses to the legitimate concerns being discussed.

I'm an academic, but I don't know what a scenery canard is.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey I love tx as much as you. But this: There's a reason property in Tx is cheaper than that in Ca. Same reason academics and others will chose Ca over Tx all else being equal.

I actually don't love texas. I think it's ugly and the weather sucks. I'm not a native Texan, and don't plan to stay forever. But at the moment the job prospects are much better here than most other parts of the country, especially for young professionals, which is what brought me and my wife back to the lone star state a few years ago.

But I understand how far a dollar goes here as opposed to a place like Santa Barbara, and would jump at a chance to pay down y student loans, build a savings, and live it up while I finish my education.
gopgabe
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's time to stop posting Mrs. Sharp. Take a deep breath, and just run into your husband's arms.
cecil77
AG
quote:
Maybe ca system (decentralized UC system) isn't right for Texas? Maybe there's an advantage to focusing resources on one mega-campus vs many satellite campuses.

And maybe it wouldn't. That would be a worthwhile discussion and investigation. Why isn't it happening?

As to the rest, Sid, your posting style is that of a petulant 16 year old. I've no clue if you care, but you would be well served to show some respect for others in the discussion when you post.

Now some questions for you: What is your interest and expertise in this topic? Do you have a personal relationship with Chancellor Sharp?
VanZandt92
If, hereafter, another university follows our example. ..

To think, a few years ago I was making fun of Arizona State.
VanZandt92
Ah, you're throwing around the canard that Texas is ugly and flat.

I'm kidding. Watch out, though, the hill country lovers will soon appear.
SECTAMU#1
quote:
Stolen from the rivalries board

quote:
4. A&M needs to draw the line at their current enrollment and especially in engineering

growing over 50 to 55,000 students is just stupid and greatly devalues the residential university experience

the TAMU System has multiple campuses that are way too small to be as efficient as they can be (universities down in the sub 15,000 enrollment range which is all but College Station) and most of them with the exception of Kingsville have engineering programs that are even smaller and less efficient for the overhead of having a school or college of engineering in place and the administration that goes with it VS the enrollment

compare this to the UT System where UTA, UTD UTEP and UTSA all have large and growing colleges of engineering and even UT-RGV and UTPB are in the process of growing theirs

there is no reason other than false pride and stupidity to have College Station explode in enrollment while other campuses sit at under 10,000 students and with engineering programs that offer 2-3 different degrees

5. A&M needs to stop crapping out system centers

kill the Midlothian stupidity and the Fort Worth Tarleton waste of cash and if anything have TAMU-Commerce shift their programs out of the dallas UCD turd and over to the Fort Worth Law School Building and then if Tarleton wants to join in there and offer a couple of actual NEEDED degree programs instead of some McDegrees have that happen

6. keep TAMU Central Texas as upper division only for the long term future

7. A&M Corpus and A&M Kingsville should be looked at for a possible merger of administrations similar to what happened with UT-Brownsville and UT-Pan Am into UT-RGV the duplication of administration is just a waste at schools so close and with modern communications technology

8. stop hiring morons for chancellors that believe their first job is to micromanage the College Station campus

These points are insightful and make sense.

crag
AG
Diploma Mill

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.