Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BJJ

150,320 Views | 1312 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Sweep4-2
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yall watching ADCC, UFC or CJI this weekend?
Best combat sports weekend ever!!
shaynew1
AG
I'm in port a with the family. Caught all the matches at adcc and cji and even got smashed by Roger narvaez this morning.

And even got my wife and nieces fired up about ffion and Mackenzie AND Craig and gabi. But I warned them that we don't know what to expect at the latter.
shaynew1
AG
Dang I love the pit so far
shaynew1
AG
I don't know why it posted sad face
lazuras_dc
AG
Rogers a friend of mine I'll have to tell him I saw his name across the interwebs
shaynew1
AG
Super nice dude and I enjoyed visiting I just need another decade of training or something.

Will probably go again Monday.
Max Power
AG
shaynew1 said:

Dang I love the pit so far
CJI was super fun, they've really got something. Not just the pit but I also preferred the round by round scoring system like boxing. Nicky Rod just ran through the 80kg+ division.

If anyone is interested, Kade Ruotolo vs Andrew Tackett was not only the match of the tournament, but one of the best BJJ matches you'll probably ever see. The 80kg final wasn't very fun IMO. I really dislike it when one guy refuses to stand up, even if their guard game is elite. I say that as an old man who is terrible at the standing game.

shaynew1
AG
Ya the final was technical enough and I wouldn't have been nearly as mad at it had we not just had ruotolo and Tackett. If that one wasn't in the pit it would have knocked the building down.
P.U.T.U
AG
3 of my kids are now two stripes higher than I am, I am going to have to play catchup when I get start back up in a year or so. Was going to wait until later this year to get surgery but it keeps getting worse
Sweep4-2
Made a return to the mat last night and it went reasonably well.

I spent the class paired up with a friend (we're the same belt, age, size, etc) and it was basically 60 minutes of positional rolling / live training, which wore me out quickly. Some parts of my game are still there (butterfly and half guard), but I struggled trying to pass his guard (DLR and X-guard) and got leg locked a bunch.

What I was most proud of was that I stuck to the plan, and even when a couple of the dangerous blue belt coaches (17 years old with about 7-8 years training) asked if I wanted a role I confidently said "Nope, I'm done for the night!"
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Apache
AG
How about a little questionnaire? I thought this might be interesting...
Feel free to add any questions you want.

Rank? - Purple, 1 stripe
Time training BJJ? - 4 years 8 mos.
Trains out of: Joao Crus BJJ, Dripping Springs
Gi or No-Gi? - 75% ish No-Gi at this point
Favorite strangle/choke? 1A Guillotine 1B Arm Triangle
Favorite leg locks? Straight ankle locks (still perfecting heel hooks)
Favorite armlocks? Kimura
Favorite pin/control positions? Kesa Getame & Body Triangle
Favorite guards? Z Guard
Favorite passes? Body locks, Standing passes
Favorite takedowns? Outside singles & ankle picks
What are you working on now? Deep half guard
Guard Pull? Seldom
Wrist Lock? All the time
What is your kryptonite? I'm 50 and big, so little fast young dudes give me fits. If I can catch them, I cook them.

bam02
AG
Apache said:

Rank? - White, 1 stripe
Time training BJJ? - 4 months
Trains out of: Marra Senki, SA
Gi or No-Gi? 100% Gi but plan to try a No-Gi tomorrow right after my normal class
Favorite strangle/choke? I suck too much to know. Seeiously, so I will refrain from answering the rest because it would be useless.

I have been averaging 3 to 5 classes per week and I'm pretty sure I will maintain that for the long-term. I know I will start to learn more and things will start to click and things will start to stack upon themselves, but I have been pretty frustrated with my slow learning. Part of my problem is that due to my work schedule I will always have inconsistency with which classes I go to. If I could go to the same morning class every day or same evening class every day there would be more continuity with what the individual professors are Building upon.

My plan is to start keeping a notebook with me and before I leave the Mat. I want to ask the professor the names of what we worked on so I can review them. I mentally started doing this after the last class and I know it has already helped me.
shaynew1
AG
Rank? - 2 stripe purple
Time training BJJ? - 6.5 yrs
Trains out of: Select Jiu Jitsu in Waco
Gi or No-Gi? - I am game for both
Favorite strangle/choke? Rear naked
Favorite leg locks? The main one I get consistently is a heel hook out of half guard. I will mess around with others but don't really care to set them up. I would rather smash you.
Favorite armlocks? Straight arm
Favorite pin/control positions? Gift wrap to back control and body triangles
Favorite guards? all flavors of half
Favorite passes? knee slice I guess. I could be a better passer.
Favorite takedowns? Snap down, double legs. I wish I was better at vanilla trips.
What are you working on now? Taking backs.
Guard Pull? A shameful amount
Wrist Lock? If you make me tired.
What is your kryptonite? I'm lazy and don't fight hard enough to maintain note quite secured positions. I'm probably too content to scramble or start over from the bottom.

I'm also 6' 210. I play whatever game my opponent feels like. We can dance, flow, do legs, or play for bloooood.

Oh ya I forgot to add I'm 40. I'm a man. Come after me.
bam02
AG
I'm 45 and just started in April. If I can be a purple belt by age 50 I will be pretty proud of that! Good job!
bam02
AG
As a noob I hope a lot of people from this thread respond. Interesting stuff and educational for me.
shaynew1
AG
bam02 said:

As a noob I hope a lot of people from this thread respond. Interesting stuff and educational for me.
It's funny how your game develops when you stick with it. Stick with the fundamentals and then randomly you'll find something dumb that you like and figure out how to make it work. And rinse and repeat.
Sweep4-2
Cool….here we go.

Rank? - Black Belt, 1st Degree
Time training BJJ? - 16 years
Trains out of: Gracie Barra TX (Vinicius 'Draculino') and Gracie Barra Pearland (Marcelo 'Uirapuru')
Gi or No-Gi? - Gi (unless I accidentally show up at nogi)
Favorite strangle/choke: D'arce choke
Favorite leg locks? Kneebar
Favorite armlocks? Keylock/Americana
Favorite pin/control positions? Side control
Favorite guards? Butterfly / Half Butterfly
Favorite passes? Leg drag
Favorite takedowns? Lateral drop
What are you working on now? Smashing berimbolo
Guard Pull? Frequently against high belts, never against low belts.
Wrist Lock? NEVER
What is your kryptonite? Short stocky people. And 50/50, I hate that guard.

I'm 5'11" and 175 lbs and am 53. My BJJ game is built on flexibility, movement and cardio. It's all getting more difficult as I get older.
bam02
AG
What does this question mean? "Guard Pull?"

I'm trying to get context from peoples answers, but I am not figuring it out
Moral High Horse
I'm taking note of all your responses so whenever we do have a texags open mat I can dominate.
Sweep4-2
It means a person deliberately sits down and takes the bottom position rather than going for the takedown.

Some see it as weak, while others see it as a strategic advantage.

I don't think anyone at blue belt or below should ever pull guard. Learning takedowns early is really important.
Moral High Horse
bam02 said:

What does this question mean? "Guard Pull?"

I'm trying to get context from peoples answers, but I am not figuring it out

If I had to guess it defines the type of competitor you are. Pulling guard is highly effective but it leads to slow progression of the match and no spectator wants to watch that ***t.
bam02
AG
Ah thanks that makes sense
bam02
AG
I almost wish there was some kind of basic textbook that is assigned to understand the basic theories and concepts. There is so much basic stuff I don't know yet.
Sweep4-2
There's a ton of online resources, but I think they probably hurt more than they help because they can be overwhelming.

Just stick to what you're doing in class, work the technique or the day into your rolling and you'll see growth.

That being said, there are some basics about grips, posture, position, movement, etc. but you'll pick those up as you learn.
bam02
AG
Thank you! I think I just experienced what you were talking about. I went to class Monday and Tuesday this week and we were working on scissor sweeps. On Monday I had them down pretty well, but on Tuesday I got called out by the professor to demonstrate a scissor sweep and to be honest I embarrassed myself.

He had me in another new guy drill on that for quite a bit yesterday and I had it down really well by the end of class yesterday. Afterwards, I mentally reviewed the steps and I felt like it really reinforced what to do. That goes with my plan of writing down what we learn and reviewing it on my own to speed up my progression.

Tonight I watched a couple of videos on scissor sweeps for white belts. Though I am sure they are very good fundamentals, there was enough variation from what we were taught that I decided I should stop watching those and just review what I learned in class.
lazuras_dc
AG
Can anyone explain the Craig Jones "keep BJJ gay" thing ??
Sweep4-2
Don't worry about it, it happens at all belt levels. Which is why I still dread being the demonstration dummy for high level black belts haha.

At white and blue belts, you're still seeing BJJ as 'moves'. But as you progress you'll see it less as 'moves' and more as principles, positions, etc. and even though the modern BJJ game is constantly evolving, some of the best in the business (Roger Gracie, Leandro Lo, Marcelo Garcia, Xande Ribeiro) won multiple world titles with stuff they learned at white/blue/purple.
shaynew1
AG
Well. We wear skin tight spandex and sweat all over in the closet of proximity.

Turn the music off at an open mat sometime and just bask in the intimacy.
Sweep4-2
My mom (probably 70 at the time) came to the school one day to watch a class, just to see what this 'BJJ thing' was that I was always babbling about.

After class I asked her what she thought and all she said was "I think you have to put your face a lot of places I wouldn't want to".

She's never expressed any interest in watching another BJJ class.
O.G.
Rank? - 1 stripe, Blue belt
Time training BJJ? - 3 years
Trains out of: Gracie Humaita Austin
Gi or No-Gi? - 90 % Gi
Favorite strangle/choke? Baseball Bat
Favorite leg locks? Still working on that, not sure I have a favorite.
Favorite armlocks? Straight arm
Favorite pin/control positions? I like Omapalata's and getting caught in the rain.
Favorite guards? Half mainly
Favorite passes? Not sure what its called
Favorite takedowns? Been working on these more lately. Snap down is good.
What are you working on now? Finishes, submissions.
Guard Pull? I try not to these days, will do it in a pinch but I'm working on other things.
Wrist Lock? Have learned a few, haven't "used them" in live roll. Oddly enough I used one fairly ofthen when I worked in the Texas Prison system but didn't know it had a name.
What is your kryptonite? Traveling a lot for my job, which I thought I was throgh doing, so I'm having to get in where I fit in as far as training goes. Not able to be as consistent as I want to be.
O.G.
lazuras_dc said:

My girlfriend asked me, "what if the guy is gay"...

I replied that most of the girls have to role with straight guys all the time. Everyone just has to act like an adult.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Have you ever been the bottom guy in north south?

Been fully mounted?

Wrapped your legs around a burly Mexican in full guard while "Every Rose Has its Thorn" plays softly in the background?

I try not to think about it too much.

P.U.T.U
AG
Same as minors, we have 16 and 17 year olds join us sometimes, just have to keep it professional. Pretty certain one of the guys that goes to the morning class is gay but no one cares, good guy and fun to roll with.

Heck I train with my 19 year old stepson and we do both gi and nogi, turn the music off and practice seatbelt techniques. From an outsiders point of view that would look very interesting. When we practiced in the garage always had to had music going so people passing by wouldn't judge too much lol.

I can't go through the list, maybe next year.
shaynew1
AG
Id be mostly flattered but It's hard to get turned on when they are legitimately trying to kill you
Max Power
AG
Rank? - White belt, 4 stripes
Time training BJJ? - 1 years 9 mos.
Trains out of: Gracie Barra, Missouri
Gi or No-Gi? - Gi
Favorite strangle/choke? Bow & arrow when I can get it, most successful with cross collar with one hand in the collar and one on the shoulder
Favorite leg locks? Straight ankle lock is all we're allowed to do
Favorite armlocks? Kimura
Favorite pin/control positions? giftwrap
Favorite guards? butterfly, I have relatively long limbs for my size so I can use them to my advantage
Favorite passes? knee slice
Favorite sweeps? butterfly, scissor
What are you working on now? Triangle, I always get 90% there but have difficulty finishing
Guard Pull? Depends on who I'm rolling with.
What is your kryptonite? I'm 44 and not very strong anymore thanks to all my joints being pretty weak, big guys or guys with excellent pressure I have a problem with

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.