Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BJJ

127,882 Views | 1198 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Sweep4-2
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did an open mat at Stoic Jiu Jitsu yesterday in Dripping Springs.... very nice place to train if you are in the area. Stoic has become a little "Insta-famous" as Jocko Willink's Echelon Front partner Leif Babin trains there and promotes it. They just opened a VERY nice new facility.

Had some nice rolls there, including one with the lead instructor/owner blackbelt who properly thrashed me despite giving up 50 Lbs. Very interesting roll... he used pure technique & kept me off balance at all times. Never once did I feel stable on top of him & he swept me seemingly at will with no strength.

The mats they use are different from the place I train. Ours are more like wrestling mats & not so firm. Didn't bother me rolling, but my knees and tops of my feet look as if they've been worked over with sandpaper. Very painful!

Stoic is a 30-35 minute drive for me, so I won't train there but for open mats it was a good time.
O.G.
Apache said:

I did an open mat at Stoic Jiu Jitsu yesterday in Dripping Springs.... very nice place to train if you are in the area. Stoic has become a little "Insta-famous" as Jocko Willink's Echelon Front partner Leif Babin trains there and promotes it. They just opened a VERY nice new facility.

Had some nice rolls there, including one with the lead instructor/owner blackbelt who properly thrashed me despite giving up 50 Lbs. Very interesting roll... he used pure technique & kept me off balance at all times. Never once did I feel stable on top of him & he swept me seemingly at will with no strength.

The mats they use are different from the place I train. Ours are more like wrestling mats & not so firm. Didn't bother me rolling, but my knees and tops of my feet look as if they've been worked over with sandpaper. Very painful!

Stoic is a 30-35 minute drive for me, so I won't train there but for open mats it was a good time.
Lets meet there, or in that area sometime for an open mat.
Apache
AG
Sounds like a plan! Normally do open mats at Joao Crus BJJ on Frog Pond Lane on Saturdays at 9:30.
Can be hit or miss with numbers though. Lots of other BJJ schools in the area has pilfered some of our turnout - I'll let you know, probably going this Saturday.
O.G.
Apache said:

Sounds like a plan! Normally do open mats at Joao Crus BJJ on Frog Pond Lane on Saturdays at 9:30.
Can be hit or miss with numbers though. Lots of other BJJ schools in the area has pilfered some of our turnout - I'll let you know, probably going this Saturday.
I'm am available to roll this coming saturday, if you're for sure going.
P.U.T.U
AG
I mentioned that I am mostly able to go to the morning classes where the have a lot of higher belts with a few higher level white belts...and then me. The guys are awesome and work with me but I need to get more of the basics down.Two of the guys mentioned Gracie combatives 2.0, seeing if there are any other classes you may suggest. My 19 year old goes to the same bjj so we can practice together at home since we have mats.
bam02
AG
I am trying to decide on a facility to join as a newbie. I have tried a free class at three different locations in my general area and I'm still considering trying a fourth one that has been highly recommended.

I'm having a little trouble deciding based on the three I've attended so far. I really liked them all to be honest. Looking back on it the first place provided the most detailed and technical instruction from what I saw.

The third place I went to was the only one that let me roll at the end of class. I had fun with this, but I don't know if that is a bad sign. I had read online that most places will make you go several classes before they allow this.

Like I said, I liked all three and they all had a good friendly staff and classes. All comparably priced and have similar class schedules.

Any other criteria I should be considering?
Apache
AG
All other things being equal, I would go with the place with the technical instruction.
An instructor who cares enough to teach the details is setting you up for success by establishing good habits early.

With regard to rolling, IMO it is better to wait until you at least know a few techniques prior to getting thrown to the wolves. Injuries happen when guys don't know when to tap or move the wrong direction when they don't know any better.

O.G.
bam02 said:

I am trying to decide on a facility to join as a newbie. I have tried a free class at three different locations in my general area and I'm still considering trying a fourth one that has been highly recommended.

I'm having a little trouble deciding based on the three I've attended so far. I really liked them all to be honest. Looking back on it the first place provided the most detailed and technical instruction from what I saw.

The third place I went to was the only one that let me roll at the end of class. I had fun with this, but I don't know if that is a bad sign. I had read online that most places will make you go several classes before they allow this.

Like I said, I liked all three and they all had a good friendly staff and classes. All comparably priced and have similar class schedules.

Any other criteria I should be considering?
What area are you in?
bam02
AG
North Central San Antonio
Sweep4-2
There's good BJJ in that area. Some other differentiators could be the focus (self defense, sport, MMA), teaching style and proximity to your house. I'd also observe to see how upper belts roll and interact with lower belts.

Also consider what you're wanting to get out of BJJ and seeing if the gym aligns. For example, one place I dropped in at spent half the class conditioning and exercising rather than doing BJJ. Not something I'd be paying BJJ $ for IMO.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
bam02
AG
The last place I want to try is Rodrigo Pinheiro. A friend takes his little boy there, and he really likes it for him, but I'm not sure how well that translates to adult instruction. I did some googling and it seems to have a very good reputation, so I definitely want to try it. It's not too far but it's not the most convenient either because of current and future construction in the area.
AggieChemE09
AG
There should definitely be a Biannual Texags open mat somewhere.
bam02
AG
I tried Rodrigo Pinheiro BJJ Last night and really liked it. Seemed very structured and well run. It was a beginner class. One thing I realized after I left was, it was the only one I attended where they did not roll at the end. I didn't even think to ask them about it while I was still there. I will call back up and ask, but I wonder if that is very unusual. If it makes for better training, then I am fine with it, but I look forward to that part for the fun and the conditioning.
Sweep4-2
Good idea to check into that. Most gyms follow a blended approach and the rolling depends upon class level, competition schedule, etc.

For me, I can only mentally handle about 3 techniques max in my brain (per class) before I lose focus so I like a lot of rolling and situational training.
shaynew1
AG
I want two techniques then positional sparring.

Anything else is just wasted on my attention span/ability to learn
bam02
AG
I may be describing things wrong. Probably five or six times the class would stop and watch the professor and a student demonstrate a new technique for about five minutes then we would pair up and practice for about five minutes. There was lots of physical contact and drilling, but just no rolling at the end.

I mentioned in one of my posts I am trying new gyms and one of the four gems I've been to let me do rolling at the end of the class with an obviously very advanced student. It was a lot of fun and got pretty worn out.

I am sure that as I got better and didn't have to go so slow and step-by-step the drilling would become more of a workout and I would enjoy that more
shaynew1
AG
I think if you want to really advance your skill it's veru beneficial to enjoy and master drilling.

I suck at drilling so a lot of times I suck at jiu jitsu.
Sweep4-2
It's finding the right balance. I've dropped in at gyms where all they did was roll, and even some of their purple/brown belts rolled like white belts.

And I've dropped in at gyms where all they did was technique and they either couldn't apply their learnings or they couldn't survive after two minutes.

Combining drilling and doing is the key. One of the dumbest things people do (myself included) is diligently drill techniques for a week and then totally ignore it and go to their 'A game' when rolling.

In a lot of ways, about 80% of my 'game' is stuff I learned from white-purple. And it still works. The other 20% is mostly leg attacks and funky back takes (that rarely work for me).
Geriatric Punk
AG
Every time I see this thread pop up, my childish brains giggles for a second in hopes it is about something else.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Sweep4-2
It's ok -- I run with a running club that is almost 100% female, and they all make fun of me training 'BJj' (which is how they abbreviate it in all text messages, posts, etc. when referring to me).
O.G.
Sweep4-2 said:

It's ok -- I run with a running club that is almost 100% female, and they all make fun of me training 'BJj' (which is how they abbreviate it in all text messages, posts, etc. when referring to me).
I too have been questioned about this....
OaklandAg06
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C3fZOpDsTnV

courtesy of the sleep apnea thread
bigcat22
AG
Anyone at the Dallas Open today or tomorrow?
O.G.
Sweep4-2 said:

Good idea to check into that. Most gyms follow a blended approach and the rolling depends upon class level, competition schedule, etc.

For me, I can only mentally handle about 3 techniques max in my brain (per class) before I lose focus so I like a lot of rolling and situational training.
Same....and I prefer one technique per class.....

I also use open mat to review stuff from earlier in the week, if I can find an upper belt that was there at the same time etc. They will usually have some sort of variation on it. For me, open mat is like study hall/review/catch up....that also sometimes turns into a shark tank.

I have also started taking notes/writing stuff down after class in a notebook. It helps me to rememeber what we did/review etc.
O.G.
Apache said:

I got a notification about Stoic on Facebook. Grand Opening set for March 24th, Jocko is supposed to be there. I would like to see it but I suspect that it will be a mad house. Do you know about this?
Apache
AG
Yep, and can confirm it will be nuts…. Don't think I'll go for that reason
Apache
AG
Allegedly 300 rsvp's for Jocko @ Stoic open mat & talk. More I'm sure will show up unannounced.
IMO the place would be packed with 1/3 that amount and there are maybe 50 spots in the parking lot. Mayhem.
shaynew1
AG
I can't decide if white belts not really knowing I suck is a good thing or a bad thing.

Tonight I still take care of business, but it sure was uuuuuugly.
Sweep4-2
I had one of those ugly nights earlier this week. Rolled with a kid (15 year old youth belt the same height/weight as me) and he subbed me at the end of our 10 minute round. And not a lucky sub either….head arm choke from mount after dominating most of the last 3 minutes.

It felt like I was rolling with a Brown Belt and I felt like I was 100 years old.
Apache
AG
From my buddy, pic of Stoic open mat. Too many people, he didn't roll.
Moral High Horse
I smell that picture
Max Power
AG
Really fun video of Mighty Mouse in the open division at IBJJF Pans. As one of the smaller guys at my gym this is fun to watch. He's so fast, technical, and strong for his size. Almost unfair that he's a brown belt.

Moral High Horse
So that's why folks around me have been trying that bow and arrow choke from turtle guard.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Almost unfair that he's a brown belt
It IS unfair that he's a brown belt. Dude was a high level high school wrestler & one of the greatest, most skilled MMA champions in the history of the sport. He's faced the highest level competition on the planet with much higher stakes than the IBJJF tourney.
P.U.T.U
AG
Sucks I was just getting steady at this and will end up taking at least 2 months off because of my shoulder. Figured it would happen sometime but not this soon and worse it didn't happen during class

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.