Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BJJ

127,893 Views | 1198 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Sweep4-2
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I moved in early April and finally found a gym- started training more consistently recently after weaning my way back in. Had a really good session yesterday but didn't bring any tape and we worked spider guard passing. Tops of my knuckles are shredded to pieces.

I really missed this sport, but the last few months off have done wonders in terms of letting little nagging injuries heal.
bigcat22
AG
Not sure if anyone else had/has this issue, but as a white belt my takedown game sucks. This has lead to me trying to pull guard on the bigger while belts, which results in me essentially just pulling side control. So 15 seconds into a 5 minute round and I'm already getting smashed lol.
FancyKetchup14
AG
This video opened my eyes to a lot of different takedowns and their variations. Might be a hot take, but I don't think takedowns are for everyone, especially if there's a big difference in body size between you and your training partner. I'm a 200 pound lousy blue belt, and my best takedown is a collar drag that I have a decent success rate in hitting. I also know when I lock up with someone if I will be able to pull it off on them or not (depending on their stamina level and grip fighting comfortability) and then adjust to something different.

Max Power
AG
bigcat22 said:

Not sure if anyone else had/has this issue, but as a white belt my takedown game sucks. This has lead to me trying to pull guard on the bigger while belts, which results in me essentially just pulling side control. So 15 seconds into a 5 minute round and I'm already getting smashed lol.
I get you. As my knees aren't good I can't move explosively to go for leg take downs. The younger guys in class don't have that problem. I try to focus on staying balanced if we're tied up, some guys will get frustrated if you're able to stay standing long enough for them to make a mistake and they'll get themselves off balance. Being patient can be an asset, frustrated opponents can get gassed quickly. I'm not big so I'm not going to overpower a larger guy to get them to the ground so I can't approach them with the same mindset.
Sweep4-2
As rough as it can be, white and blue belt are the time to develop your takedowns, even if they are terrible (which they probably will be for a while).

For folks who lack explosiveness and strength, that's ok. Theres a lot more to takedowns than explosiveness. Posture, footwork, balance and having a sequence (attack; counterattack) are just as important.

And even if takedowns are never a huge part of your game, just spending time on your feet (rather than pulling guard immediately) will make your game more complete (even if really rough at first).
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
O.G.
Sweep4-2 said:

As rough as it can be, white and blue belt are the time to develop your takedowns, even if they are terrible (which they probably will be for a while).

For folks who lack explosiveness and strength, that's ok. Theres a lot more to takedowns than explosiveness. Posture, footwork, balance and having a sequence (attack; counterattack) are just as important.

And even if takedowns are never a huge part of your game, just spending time on your feet (rather than pulling guard immediately) will make your game more complete (even if really rough at first).
They can be rough. However, I've had the good fortune of training with some good college level wrestlers and, Matt Veach (fought in the UFC a few times) trains at my former gym and gave take down classes on Fridays.

I personally try to focus on one take down at at time the entire class but that's just me. Open Mat on saturdays is great for that.
The Real Napster
bigcat22 said:

Duck walks are your friend
O.G.
Been a month since anyone posted on here. How's everyone doing? I had to sit out a couple of weeks with a lower back issue but I'm back at it now.

The Real Napster
Been out nearly 3 weeks. Got Covid and now I got something else. I'm gonna get my ass kicked when I go back.
Max Power
AG
Had a few good weeks recently and I decided to enter my first competition next month. Not sure how many 40+ year old white belts between 170-180 lbs will be there but I figured I'm competent enough to give it a shot. If I have to roll with younger or bigger guys that's fine, if I lose no biggie, I'm used to it. I don't have a ton of skills on offense, but I do have some now and my defense keeps improving. Feels weird that I'm getting close to my one year anniversary but that's only 2 months away at this point. I'm still very thankful I found this sport, even if I didn't get into it until late in life.
O.G.
Max Power said:

Had a few good weeks recently and I decided to enter my first competition next month. Not sure how many 40+ year old white belts between 170-180 lbs will be there but I figured I'm competent enough to give it a shot. If I have to roll with younger or bigger guys that's fine, if I lose no biggie, I'm used to it. I don't have a ton of skills on offense, but I do have some now and my defense keeps improving. Feels weird that I'm getting close to my one year anniversary but that's only 2 months away at this point. I'm still very thankful I found this sport, even if I didn't get into it until late in life.
I had that issue in my first competetion. NO one my age in the whitebelt categegory but it was still fun.
Apache
AG
Still hitting 2-3 classes M-F and open mat most Saturdays.

Our no-gi class has been working Kesa Getame submissions & escapes.

We've worked on them before, but I have to say after working through this stuff for a few weeks.... it's now easily my favorite control position. (Back control is better I'm sure, I just don't seem to get there very often.)

O.G.
Ok, so it looks like everyone is rolling......

So, when is the TexAgs BJJ tournament at Reed Arena??
Moral High Horse
Rolled against some of Danaher's competition guys. Well...I say I rolled against but that's just being way too generous to myself.
Sweep4-2
I bet there are some really good guys on that DDS! That'd be really cool to see the stuff those guys bring to the mats.

I've been running more than rolling lately, but I went to a friends school rolled with their fundamentals class. Also worked on spider guard passing. Not something many fundamentals are going to see (in terms of good spider guards), but it was fun to be on the mats helping folks understand passing.

Rolled with 3 white belts and 3 black belts, and the white belts were rougher rolls than the black belts. I'm a little beat up today.

O.G.
Well, here is an update. I got my first stripe on my blue belt. Was not expecting it at all.

Now it can never be said that I quit as soon as I got my blue belt.
Sweep4-2
Good deal, congrats! Blue belt is the hardest belt there is (IMO).

Glad you're keeping at it!
AggieChemE09
AG
O.G. said:

Well, here is an update. I got my first stripe on my blue belt. Was not expecting it at all.

Now it can never be said that I quit as soon as I got my blue belt.
Congrats!!!
O.G.
Sweep4-2 said:

Good deal, congrats! Blue belt is the hardest belt there is (IMO).

Glad you're keeping at it!
Thank you for saying that. Some days I can give upper belts the blues and some days white belts are a problem.
OaklandAg06
AG
Today was the first day back in the gym in almost 4 months since tearing my bicep and 12 weeks since I had surgery to repair it. Felt good to start moving around on the mats again, drill a bit, and do some light rounds with trusted training partners. It is always interesting to see how injuries and recovery from injury changes your game. Gonna focus on no-gi until my arm is back to almost 100%.

Stay health out there!
Buck Compton
AG
So I've always been curious in BJJ, but rolled for the first time this weekend after sitting next to Royler Gracie on a plane and spending a few minutes with him discussing it and him inviting me to the local gym.

Chaotic is an understatement. I can see how it can become fun, but I'm not even sure where to start to even begin getting better. I don't know enough to even get frustrated, but it was just kind of a 'meh' experience

Probably very few people who can say their very first lesson was given by a Gracie, so I guess I have to stick with it now...
Apache
AG
Quote:

I'm not even sure where to start to even begin getting better. I don't know enough to even get frustrated, but it was just kind of a 'meh' experience

Probably very few people who can say their very first lesson was given by a Gracie, so I guess I have to stick with it now...

First off, Holy Sh*t that's awesome! Royler is truly one the OGs... very cool.
Curious what made it a 'meh' experience? What was the first lesson like?

There is so, so much to learn. At this point, you don't know what you don't know. BJJ is basically a bottomless pit of techniques. I say bottomless because it is constantly evolving new moves & borrowing from wrestling, judo, sambo, catch wrestling etc. You can never learn it all.

I would definitely not give up after one lesson... give it a month to 6 weeks of going 2x per week. At that point you'll have at least a semblance of what is going on. If you've given it that much and still aren't interested, it's probably not for you. But at least you can say you gave it a legit shot!
Buck Compton
AG
We warmed up, worked with a partner practicing some specific techniques over and over, then it was open sparring. They had a brown belt go really easy on me to kind of show me some basics in sparring. That was nice of them. But honestly I was so lost I couldn't really even understand what he was trying to teach me besides the submissions. I had asked him if he could do several different types of submissions to me so I could understand what they felt like.

I guess that's what I'm saying why it was 'meh', I obviously don't know what I don't know. Everything I knew was from watching UFC or BJJ videos. I knew that going in, but I feel like I don't even know where to start in establishing the "basics". Don't worry, I'm not quitting or anything.

There is a fundamentals class at this gym, so I'm going to go to that when my schedule allows. They had one this weekend but I couldn't make that time work on short notice. During the week I travel for work so often that it's difficult to find a consistent time, but going to just go to that class first for now where its just a focus on a foundation and hopefully that helps.
Sweep4-2
That is a hilariously cool way to be invited to train BJJ!

Hope you enjoy training. There are days when it will all make sense. And other days where nothing makes sense and ya' feel lost.

Just focus on the basics and what you learn in fundamentals and the more confusing/advanced stuff will eventually fall into place.

O.G.
Super cool that you met Royler. He is a legit nice guy. I have the priveledge of having dinner with him this past year and attending his seminar the next day. My first gym is/was Gracie Humaita (his "franchise).

Don't read too much into the first experience. I was a fish out of water when I first went as well. I had a couple years of Muay Thai but it was useless in BJJ.I got mat rash, was sore etc etc because I wasn't used to it. Now I hate missing more than a day or two.

I'm in the process of moving so I'll be on to another gym soon (Austin region, not Austin proper though) So, I'll be looking for a new home. Can't wait.

Edit: Royler has a Seminar in Houston (Gilbert) on the 7th. Well worth your time if any of you can go.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I'm in the process of moving so I'll be on to another gym soon (Austin region, not Austin proper though) So, I'll be looking for a new home. Can't wait.

What area?
O.G.
Apache said:

Quote:

What area?
Some of my family lives in Georgetown, and I will be crashing there at first. Not 100% sure where I'll end up. An acquintance of mine is affiliated with the Gracie Humaita in South Austin, but it all depends on where I end up.

I sort of like that Georgetown area so we'll see. Where are you?
Max Power
AG
Buck Compton said:

We warmed up, worked with a partner practicing some specific techniques over and over, then it was open sparring. They had a brown belt go really easy on me to kind of show me some basics in sparring. That was nice of them. But honestly I was so lost I couldn't really even understand what he was trying to teach me besides the submissions. I had asked him if he could do several different types of submissions to me so I could understand what they felt like.

I guess that's what I'm saying why it was 'meh', I obviously don't know what I don't know. Everything I knew was from watching UFC or BJJ videos. I knew that going in, but I feel like I don't even know where to start in establishing the "basics". Don't worry, I'm not quitting or anything.

There is a fundamentals class at this gym, so I'm going to go to that when my schedule allows. They had one this weekend but I couldn't make that time work on short notice. During the week I travel for work so often that it's difficult to find a consistent time, but going to just go to that class first for now where its just a focus on a foundation and hopefully that helps.
That's an insane way to dip your toe in the water, with an actual Gracie, that's really cool.

What you're describing makes total sense when it comes to your first experience. You're so inexperienced you don't even know what questions to ask. It took me 6 months before I felt like I understood even a small piece of what is being taught, the learning curve is very difficult, it takes a long time to pick up anything in my experience but I started very late in life. Videos can't really do justice to how in over your head you are feeling, experienced guys make it look effortless. I don't have a point of reference from previous sports I played as a kid to compare to, hitting a baseball, bouncing a basketball, kicking a soccer ball are all so different from BJJ. I never wrestled or had any prior experience in any martial arts, those guys can probably pick up things faster due to their experience.

If you do have access to a fundamentals class I would highly recommend it as there will be other students without a ton of experience. I go to a fundamentals class twice a week and Saturdays to an all levels class. When I've rolled with blue belts and higher I still feel like their skill set is so much more than mine that I don't have the ability to even learn from them to be honest, they're just playing with me, there's nothing I can do to them that they don't see coming from a mile away. At least I have a chance with the experienced white belts. Even with as frustrated as I get I just keep going because it's hard, and when you do have a good day you feel great, even if those moments are fleeting and few.

In other news there's a guy from my gym that's moving to Austin this week to start attending classes with The B Team. I've never rolled with him because he's strictly a no-gi competitor. Between them and Roka I know Austin is one of the biggest BJJ centers in the world now, it just seems a bit crazy to me to uproot your life for a gym but maybe he's extremely talented, I have no idea.
AggieChemE09
AG
Buck Compton said:

So I've always been curious in BJJ, but rolled for the first time this weekend after sitting next to Royler Gracie on a plane and spending a few minutes with him discussing it and him inviting me to the local gym.

Chaotic is an understatement. I can see how it can become fun, but I'm not even sure where to start to even begin getting better. I don't know enough to even get frustrated, but it was just kind of a 'meh' experience

I am sure I would feel as confused as you would going against Royler even as a purple belt tbh
The Real Napster
O.G. said:

Apache said:

Quote:

What area?
Some of my family lives in Georgetown, and I will be crashing there at first. Not 100% sure where I'll end up. An acquintance of mine is affiliated with the Gracie Humaita in South Austin, but it all depends on where I end up.

There's a Renzo Gracie in round rock that's got a solid group.
O.G.
The Real Napster said:

O.G. said:

Apache said:

Quote:

What area?

There's a Renzo Gracie in round rock that's got a solid group.
My former instructor has a former student that is now a Black Belt at Gracie Humaita Austin but its on Ben White, so its going to depend on schedules/traffic etc. I also visited the one in Cedar Park (Tim Kennedy's school) last year and it was pretty cool. But I hear that the BJJ scene in Austin is exploding right now so there are a lot of choices.
Max Power
AG
Got my third stripe last night, which was a bit of a surprise, totally unexpected. Generally at my school you earn your second stripe at around 6 months, depending on progress, and I think I was closer to 7 months. Third stripe is earned at about a year normally and I haven't hit 11 months quite yet. I thought I was behind schedule based on when I got my second stripe. I've been staying late to roll after class, perhaps that work is paying off.
O.G.
Max Power said:

Got my third stripe last night, which was a bit of a surprise, totally unexpected. Generally at my school you earn your second stripe at around 6 months, depending on progress, and I think I was closer to 7 months. Third stripe is earned at about a year normally and I haven't hit 11 months quite yet. I thought I was behind schedule based on when I got my second stripe. I've been staying late to roll after class, perhaps that work is paying off.
Don't over think the timing of it. Just let it happen when it happens. I got my blue belt at about 20 or so months, give or take. It's not an exact sciene. Some guys miss classes/get injured or whatever and it changes their "schedule". Others take a lot of private lessons and promote at a different pace.

Enjoy it.
Sweep4-2
Congrats and glad to hear you're enjoying the journey!

Stripes are one of those things where practices differ widely. Some instructors follow a schedule, while others seem to be just going "oh hey, he's doing some good stuff and training hard.....here's a stripe" and everything in between.

The funny thing about stripes......on the white belt and blue belts, everybody keeps their stripes and replaces them if they fall off. At purple belt, they make a little less effort to replace stripes. And at brown belt people actually hope stripes will fall off in the washing machine, rolling, etc,
Max Power
AG
Went to my first competition on Saturday and it went poorly. I wasn't expecting to win either match but I know I could have done more than I showed, 2 matches, 2 losses, no points in either, really disappointed in myself. First match was against another guy from my school, same age but he's a former wrestler and very strong. Once he was in mount I just couldn't shake him. Eventually he got shoulder pressure on my throat and I couldn't breathe anymore, I tapped. The second match was only like 5 minutes later due to the brevity of the match after my first one. He was about the same as me size and strength wise, but he was more skilled than me. I had a chance early and got him in a solid cross choke, I don't know how he didn't tap, his face was turning and my grip just gave out. After that he just worked his way up and had a similar result as the first match.

Trying to look on the bright side and I definitely know I need to work on improving when I'm in closed and half guard, especially against stronger guys. I don't really believe in moral victories but at least I tried, and I'm not making excuses, the better man won each time. I don't think I hydrated well before hand because I was so nervous but even if I was hydrated I wouldn't say that it would have changed the result. The intensity was certainly different than even the most intense sparring at the gym.

The final was those two, not sure what happened but the guy from my gym took a knee or foot or something to the nose and I think might have broken it. He bled too much onto the gi of the other guy who they called the match for as they DQ'd the guy from my gym because he couldn't stop bleeding even though he had the only points in the match. We chatted with the guy from the other gym and congratulated him, he was a nice guy and very gracious. One of the things I've enjoyed about BJJ is the mutual respect shown regardless of win or loss and he was no different.

I'll be back at the gym tonight, not letting a poor result deter me from getting better. I've got a lot to work on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.