Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BJJ

127,889 Views | 1198 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Sweep4-2
FriskyGardenGnome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Speaking of rolling with young, tough folks. I got invited to roll nogi next week at a wrestling school that has a beginner BJJ class. Although it's a beginner class, I'm expecting it to be young and to have a handful of wrestlers.

Going nogi, against wrestlers half my age, in a gym with no AC (with almost 4 months off) is going to be rough for me.
Yeah, I can always spot the wrestler within the first 10 seconds of a roll, especially lower BJJ belt wrestlers. Can be rough to deal with.
Sweep4-2
Yeah, definitely easy to 'feel' within a few seconds of rolling with a wrestler. Same thing with the judo guys. Darn near impossible to take down and equally hard to sweep.

It'll be fun though. I'll probably roll nice and use traditional stuff as long as I can before I get desperate and resort to leg locks.
chipotle
Sweep4-2 said:

Same thing with the judo guys. Darn near impossible to take down and equally hard to sweep.

If they're old rules judo yes. Those guy's hips hit you like a canon, then hit you with the floor THEN land on you.

New rules? Nope. Single/double leg all day long on those guys
Sweep4-2
Yeah, that's what I've heard from old school judo guys. They hate the new rules.

The only judo guys I've trained with regularly are older guys (40's/50's) and both are TOUGH. Both were elite level (national team and Olympic judo team hopefuls) in their prime years ago.

They're both BJJ black belts now, but their bodies show the wear and tear of years of Judo. Rough sport.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Hey guys, I just found this thread. Just started BJJ this week at Paradigm in Houston. First class was a blast an I'm excited to get back on the mat tomorrow!
Sweep4-2
Very cool! It's a strange time in the BJJ world right now with Covid going on.

How was the training? At the school I train at we've kept it pretty conservative (dummy training, training only with one partner, etc). But this recent spike is changing that and things are going backwards.
AZAG08
AG
I have not been back yet, but our school has regular classes just with a limited class size ( online sign up for each class required)

But I did see they had a two hour open mat yesterday
RebelE Infantry
AG
If coach didn't wear a mask, you'd never know the difference.

The morning class that I go to only has a handful of guys so I've gotten a ton of one on one training. Yesterday (day 2 for me) there was a guy who was on day 3 so it was nice to have someone on my level to drill with. I'm sore but having an absolute blast.

Edit to add- we do have to book our classes online, but I'm not sure if this is new or just standard procedure.
Sweep4-2
That's cool. Yeah, the soreness when first starting is real. But it goes away after a while.

I took almost 4 months off as a result of Covid and an MCL issue. My welcome back roll was a 15 minute round with a 4-stripe brown belt. It was fun, but I was sore for days.....
Apache
AG
Back in the gym for a couple of weeks & had my first roll on Tuesday. Good lord I am out of shape... luckily the other guy was too!
I worry that the way the virus is now spreading gyms will get shut down again soon. My guess is we get word next week.
Sweep4-2
So how's everyone's training going with this new resurgence of Covid? I've trained a couple times but only with my 14 year old son (who is about 70 lbs lighter than me and knows very little BJJ).

So what do we drill/train that the first nogi class my son has ever attended? An arm drag entry to calf slicer and a toehold finish from an omoplata entry. Just what every brand new 14 year old needs to learn in his first try at nogi.

It did feel good to get back on the mat, but I'm still uncertain about whether i want to be in a crowded school at this point.....
AggieChemE09
AG
https://ibjjf.com/events/austin-international-open-ibjjf-jiu-jitsu-championship-2020

Sweep4-2
I'm surprised they're having it. Thought IBJJF had cancelled everything through 2020.

Are you (or anyone on the thread) competing?
P.U.T.U
AG
I was about to startup until COVID hit, still waiting to figure out when the right will be now
AggieChemE09
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

I'm surprised they're having it. Thought IBJJF had cancelled everything through 2020.

Are you (or anyone on the thread) competing?

I am pretty sure my team and I are competing. Still trying to get registered with ibjjf.

Sweep4-2
Good deal. That tournament filled up fast, hopefully you were able to get signed up. I heard they limited capacity to make it small.

A number of folks from my school are competing, but I'm not in any shape to compete in my division (Master 4, Middle, Black). I would get mauled by the guys in that group who compete regularly.
AggieChemE09
AG
I was able to get in! Both my professor and coach were able to get in as well, but no one else from the team decided to join in.

Pretty sure this is the first time I have had a competitive event since.... intramurals at A&M..?
Sweep4-2
Good deal! Tournaments and training for tournaments are fun. Makes your BJJ much better in a short amount of time. White belt division is typically crazy (action packed, lots of people, etc).

We've got about 15-17 folks going. Wish I could go watch but I understand they're restricting bit to athletes and coaches only.

My instructor and his wife are both competing which means LOTS of hard training for the rest of us.
AggieChemE09
AG
I got my first stripe!
Moses25
AG
Does anyone have any experience with Magness BJJ out of Cedar Hill? My current project is out there and it's the closest gym.
SNES Chalmers
AggieChemE09 said:

I got my first stripe!

It begins.
Sweep4-2
Not familiar with it (but I'm not in that area). From the website it looks like a small, unaffiliated school that focuses on families and kids. In my experience, a lot of those places tend to be more friendly for drop-ins than the big competition places.

But only one way to find out.
Apache
AG
Got my first stripe as well (should have been awarded in March, but the shut down changed everything).

I've been going 2x per week for the past 8 weeks, but am going to shut it down again. The number of people in class is up to 10 & I don't go to a huge gym. No way to attend class & not be exposed.
I can't afford to get this right now... so another layoff is in my future.
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
Got my first stripe last night. Also, finally got to be not the new guy in class last week. Professor had me roll with 2 first timers. I felt like a freaking black belt. The most simple things that never work on the high white and blue belts I roll with were annihilating these guys. I was getting every key lock and arm bar I wanted. It's crazy how much of an edge just 3 months worth of knowledge gives you over someone untrained.

I was quickly humbled by my normal rolling partners the rest of the class.
AggieChemE09
AG
Congrats on the stripe! The only one newer than me at my gym is 6'8" and like 450lbs, so I haven't had the joy of annihilating anyone yet
Sweep4-2
That's great that it's going well and it's always fun to see progress! Those first few months are huge In terms of learning.

You mentioned the key locks and arm bars. There's a nice sequence of key lock to armbar to triangle choke (and the reverse as opp defends). I saw it years ago in a Jean-Jacque Machado video and it works well as an attack sequence (even at white belt).
AggieChemE09
AG
Our gym just added 530am GI classes for Tuesday and Thursday. Nothing like getting strangled before coffee.
Wheatables02
AG
Moses25 said:

Does anyone have any experience with Magness BJJ out of Cedar Hill? My current project is out there and it's the closest gym.
Two of my co-workers train there and they love it.
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
Need a ruling from some of the more experienced guys here:

Separated my shoulder at an open mat yesterday. (Grade 1 AC separation. Should be fine in a few weeks) One of our blue belts brings a friend. He says he's untrained, but has a grappling back ground. He pairs him off with me, a 3 month 1 stripe white belt. We fist bump and circle. Guy rushes in and judo throws me right onto my shoulder. I tap out and am done for the day. Go to doc today and get the band news.

I'm more than ticked that this "untrained" guy comes in and starts full bore judo throwing at an open mat and now I'm out for 2-4 weeks plus medical expenses. Am I overreacting? Is that just the way it goes?
SNES Chalmers
First off, I'm sorry that happened to you. It sucks. I've been there.

I absolutely hate rolling with new people because of this. You have no clue if they're lying or downplaying when it comes to their background. When I roll with white belts or new guys I roll light and defensive so I can get a feel for them and then it's on. But....rolling with someone new is the ultimate opportunity to test yourself. When tournament time comes it's one gigantic question mark because of all the new people you're gonna get put up against.

Look at what happened as a critical learning experience. Ask lots of questions: Why did you get hurt? Did you land wrong? Why were you exposed to a throw? Don't waste this.

Now to trash the guy who threw you:

Judo is extremely dangerous outside of the sport. Particularly in a bjj arena of 95% ground game. There is no freakin way I'm throwing a white belt who I don't know who more than likely has zero take down or judo experience and MOST IMPORTANT probably doesn't know how to take a fall. Bad on that guy all around.
Sweep4-2
That sucks. I hope you have a smooth recovery and are able to get back to training soon.

As SNES mentions, use it as a learning opportunity and move forward. I generally recommend getting back on the mat as soon as possible after injury, with a few caveats -- technique training only for several weeks , no live training. Then get back to rolling but keep it light (like flow rolling). Wait for a while to resume full speed stand-up training.

Also would recommend you be up-front with training partners and tell them you're returning from a shoulder injury and that you need to train/roll light. And when you return to full speed training, tap WAY earlier than you think you have to for shoulder attacks (Kimura, Omoplata, Americana, etc.).

I had a similar shoulder injury months ago and rushed my return to full speed training and was sore for months because I was too stubborn to roll light. Covid finally forced me to take a much needed break and the shoulder healed up

AgCMT
AG
Just found this thread. I just started BJJ about 2 months ago at 47 years old. I got tired of watching Netflix and had to do something. As work has started to pick up, it's been harder to be consistent lately but I still get to the gym at least twice a week.

Great advice throughout this thread. I had wrestled my entire life and even a small amount in the Marines, but that was a long ass time ago. That certainly has helped with my standup, but once we hit the mat I'm humbled daily.

I have been changing the diet and working on my cardio a bit so that I can be more productive in my time on the mat. I'm usually good for one 5 minute round, then the next 5 or so 5 minute rounds are me trying to find safe spots to camp. I've got a mean turtle...lol Any suggestions for building the cardio? Yes, I know to roll more, but outside of the gym?

AggieChemE09
AG
In my limited experience, yeah just roll more. I similarly would have a short roll and get winded, then sit out for a few rounds before I rolled again. A month or two in and I can nearly roll as long as I care to, with no additional cardio training.
SNES Chalmers
AgCMT said:

Any suggestions for building the cardio? Yes, I know to roll more, but outside of the gym?

Sprints and/or Jump rope. It's what I do because I hate jogging.

And of course rolling which is more fun. There's one caveat on using rolling as cardio: you can do this for the first years of bjj but believe it or not you're going to get better. And when you get better you'll realize where you're wasting energy/effort and be more efficient in your game. That means less of a work out the better your technique gets. A little tragic but that's the way it goes. So you'll need to supplement cardio as time goes on because when you're ready for a tournament you're going to need it.
Sweep4-2
Cardio is always a challenge. I'm 49 and to keep up with my younger training partners I do a couple things.

One, a couple 'long' days per week (5K) and a couple interval days per week (400's). If not wanting to run, I do battle ropes, slam ball and burpees at the park (great sub for running).

Second, roll more and don't quit rolling when tired. One of the biggest mistakes people make early on is rolling until they are tired and then sitting out or finding an easy role. Continuing to roll when you are tired and even exhausted is the best way to develop technique and to see how well it works when tired.

Also, while it's not 'cardio', highly recommend stretching regularly. Flexibility will help with your movement (and let you conserve energy).

But mainly, just keep rolling and learning when to use strength/force and when not to. Hope that helps!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.