Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BJJ

127,883 Views | 1198 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Sweep4-2
Sweep4-2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yep, makes sense. Some places have beginners start rolling immediately, others introduce it slowly to at least give new folks some basic concepts. Advantages to both approaches, but I like the 'take it slow' approach.

You mention wrestling.....was it formal/organized wrestling? Or rather backyard/fun wrestling? Just curious.....if it was sport/competitive wrestling you'll definitely have a smaller learning curve. But even if not, don't worry about it. Lots of people with zero combat sport experience get into BJJ in their 40's and 50's and pick it up quickly and have a great time with the sport.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
bam02
AG
Just wresting with cousins/friends. I never did competitive wrestling and always kind of wish I had. I could always hold my own pretty well wresting other novices who were bigger than me. My legs have always been strong so I assumed maybe that helped me.

The professor took me down for just a quick second last night when he was explaining guard.

He is a pretty small guy. About my height but i probably have 30 pounds on him and I could just tell he had a different kind of strength than I do. Impressive.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Had a lovely week of guillotine escapes. My neck won't be right for days.
brew82
I live in San Marcos. I'd like to start taking classes for bjj. I'm 58. My youngest son is interested as well. He's 17.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a place in the San Marcos area?
Apache
AG
There's a solid BJJ gym in Wimberley I've heard. May not be that bad depending upon where in SM you are
Sweep4-2
I'm not familiar with any of the schools in San Marcos, but I see that there's an Alliance school there. From what I can tell their facility looks nice, instructor looks legit and a wide variety of classes/times.

Some schools focus on self-defense, others on MMA, others on sport BJJ, etc. My guess is that Alliance will focus primarily on sport BJJ (which is what my background is)....but check out a few places and see what feels 'right' and what most closely aligns with your interests.
Sweep4-2
Got it. Makes sense....things like leverage, angles, economy of movement, etc......all are huge difference makers.

If you watch an upper belt (brown/black) rolling with a lower belt (white/blue), the upper belt will move very little and use very little force/strength....because they see things coming from much further away, and can make small, energy-conserving adjustments.

But it's one of those things that videos, explanations, etc....can only do so much. Just spending hours and hours on the mats builds that muscle memory that is needed.
brew82
Thanks for the replies!
Moral High Horse
How'd everyone due at the Austin open today? We had the china virus going through the household so we had to miss out.
O.G.
brew82 said:

I live in San Marcos. I'd like to start taking classes for bjj. I'm 58. My youngest son is interested as well. He's 17.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a place in the San Marcos area?
Diaz Martial Arts. I did Muay Thai (did muay thai before I started my BJJ journey) there but they do BJJ as well. Over near San Marcos HS, sort of.

2061 Clovis Barker Rd Suite 13A San Marcos, TX

Your son will thrive there as well.
P.U.T.U
AG
Found out our gym is about to do Muay Thai classes as well. Won't focus on it but may go to a few classes a month
P.U.T.U
AG
So on Friday morning the only class is not on the schedule where anyone can come and you can roll. They do 5 minute rounds which gives me time to roll and with the higher belts I can get them to critique me or ask how I get out what I got tapped out with. Learned a lot in 45 minutes.

And I am not in 5 minute rolling shape yet, after 3 rolls I was breathing and sweating like two muskrats in a wool sock.
O.G.
P.U.T.U said:

So on Friday morning the only class is not on the schedule where anyone can come and you can roll. They do 5 minute rounds which gives me time to roll and with the higher belts I can get them to critique me or ask how I get out what I got tapped out with. Learned a lot in 45 minutes.

And I am not in 5 minute rolling shape yet, after 3 rolls I was breathing and sweating like two muskrats in a wool sock.
Um.....what...Exactly.......were those two muskrats doing in that wool sock???
Apache
AG
Jiu Jitsu?
P.U.T.U
AG
Sir, we have filters that are pretty good at catching that word
Sweep4-2
Just keep rolling, those rounds will start to feel shorter. Once you get the 'feel' for rolling you'll be better able to budget your energy.

Our Friday night comp training is generally ten 7-minute rounds starting on the feet. After that everything hurts for days.
P.U.T.U
AG
My other stepson and son started last night and did pretty well. They both came out with smiles so that is a good sign. Both are nine with one being a stringbean and the other being a thick boy.

Rolled and drilled with the big boys today, we were working on throws so they wanted similar size and strength. Most of the guys were built like a college LB so got used to having zero ability to overpower anyone. I was the lightest by 40 pounds or so. Finished rolling against 2 smaller white belts that have been going for a year and that was so much easier.
Sweep4-2
Glad the kids had a good time!

Take downs against big guys are tough. Hand/grip fighting, posture, footwork, etc. are all critical when going against big people...all of which just takes time to develop. I only use a few take downs against big guys....a modified lateral drop, a collar drag and an ankle-pick to single leg. That's pretty much it.

I'm still injured (knee) so I mostly rolled with several of our female competitors yesterday, and they are really athletic and technical Good rolling and kept my knee from getting torn up. But I did get submitted via a nice Peruvian necktie that tightened up really fast.
'
Max Power
AG
Was in a three person group last night including a high school aged white belt with no stripes. Sometimes I forget how wild guys that young seem to get when they're inexperienced. Pretty sure both of my hands got kicked pretty good last night and I'm feeling it today. Even when you try to give them advice about slowing down and trying to concentrate on one specific thing here and there it seems their age won't let them. Good news is he wasn't a big kid so there's nothing other than a couple of jammed fingers but the last time I got one from rolling I think it took 4-6 weeks to heal completely.
O.G.
Max Power said:

Was in a three person group last night including a high school aged white belt with no stripes. Sometimes I forget how wild guys that young seem to get when they're inexperienced. Pretty sure both of my hands got kicked pretty good last night and I'm feeling it today. Even when you try to give them advice about slowing down and trying to concentrate on one specific thing here and there it seems their age won't let them. Good news is he wasn't a big kid so there's nothing other than a couple of jammed fingers but the last time I got one from rolling I think it took 4-6 weeks to heal completely.
A Mat Enforcer will eventually catch up to him and give him enough special hugs that he will get the message.
Moral High Horse
If whites belt don't slow down I will do it for them. I will typically practice my weaknesses on lower belts but if they get out of hand it's go time.
Apache
AG
Quote:

If whites belt don't slow down I will do it for them.
To date, none of the current white belts have figured out how to get out my Kesa Gatame.

I have to say I enjoy slow "cooking" them with a little taste of heavy pressure when they've gotten out of hand.

AggieChemE09
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

To date, none of the current white belts have figured out how to get out my Kesa Gatame.

I have to say I enjoy slow "cooking" them with a little taste of heavy pressure when they've gotten out of hand.

I usually wait a few classes to show them the escapes to Kesa Gatame. As soon as they figure out how to breathe in that position I introduce them to the Americana from there.
AggieChemE09
AG
AggieChemE09 said:

Apache said:

Quote:

I usually wait a few classes to show them the escapes to Kesa Gatame. As soon as they figure out how to breathe in that position I introduce them to the Americana from there.

Moral High Horse
Kuzure Kesa Gatame Let's you really sit into their diaphram. Then you cook'em.
Sweep4-2
I take the Roadhouse approach. Be nice. Until it's time to not be nice.

If they are just clueless and spazzing, a little positive coaching usually gets them to calm down. Maybe even a few rounds off.

And if not, I just go really slooooooow. Knee-to-belly, side control, mounted triangle, etc.
O.G.
Apache said:

Quote:

OH, you're THAT guy.....
P.U.T.U
AG
Note to self, guys in the morning class are a step above the ones that go to the lunch class. They also are better teachers which I appreciate more than they know.
Sweep4-2
Generally, the earlier the class the better/tougher the training is. On the rare occasion that I train mornings, I swear I'm never going back.
P.U.T.U
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Generally, the earlier the class the better/tougher the training is. On the rare occasion that I train mornings, I swear I'm never going back.
Things like this would have been nice to know from the beginning. But honestly I prefer the morning class since the guys are much more willing to help and give pointers. Yesterday when we started rolling it was me who is a month in and a bunch of purple and brown belts. They are getting me to the point where I almost tap but are teaching/making me fight through it.

I am not certain what belt he was fighting at (think he was purple at the time) but one of the guys won the meet. He went against 5 different people and spent right at 4 minutes and 13 seconds on the mat total.
O.G.
If anyone is interested, or in the area, Royler Gracie will be giving a seminar this weekend Feb 24, from 11am-2pm, at Gracie Humaita Austin.

Spots are still available. WHITE GI ONLY.

https://www.mindbodyonline.com/explore/locations/gracie-humaita-austin

02/24/2024 11-2pm

https://www.ghaustin.com/#contact

321 W Ben White Blvd
Suite 108
Austin, TX 78704
Apache
AG
Amazing how many Jiu Jitsu schools are in Austin now along Ben White Blvd.
In a ten mile stretch about 2 miles wide you have:

10th planet Oak Hill
B-Team Jiu Jitsu
Gracie Humaita
Gracie Barra
Paragon
Integraceo
Austin Jiu Jitsu Collective
10th planet Austin
O.G.
Apache said:

Amazing how many Jiu Jitsu schools are in Austin now along Ben White Blvd.
In a ten mile stretch about 2 miles wide you have:

10th planet Oak Hill
B-Team Jiu Jitsu
Gracie Humaita
Gracie Barra
Paragon
Integraceo
Austin Jiu Jitsu Collective
10th planet Austin
Are you in that area?
Apache
AG
No, I am farther west in the Dripping Springs area.
Have been toying with the idea of going to some 10th planet Oak Hill classes but am pretty busy.
AggieChemE09
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.