Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BJJ

127,888 Views | 1198 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Sweep4-2
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha ha mine just felt like strep throat all day. It's finally feeling a little better now 12 hours later. Guess I need to tap sooner.

That pain goes from 0 to 60 quick, though, when they get the right hold on you at the right angle with the right part of their forearm.
O.G.
This is making me wonder what non-BJJ folks think when they read this.
bam02
AG
I was sure to put a smiley emoji with all of my posts about being choked. Definitely not wanting to scare anyone off. I'm all good today!
bam02
AG
Today my observation is that Brazilian jiu-jitsu is way less intuitive for me than I was expecting. I really thought I would kind of naturally know what to do to some degree, but so many times I just turn the wrong direction or do something else to put myself in a terrible position, or just miss an opportunity that is obvious to everyone else who is watching. Today I did it in spite of being told multiple times. Very frustrating but humbling and motivating.
AggieChemE09
AG
bam02 said:

Today my observation is that Brazilian jiu-jitsu is way less intuitive for me than I was expecting. I really thought I would kind of naturally know what to do to some degree, but so many times I just turn the wrong direction or do something else to put myself in a terrible position, or just miss an opportunity that is obvious to everyone else who is watching. Today I did it in spite of being told multiple times. Very frustrating but humbling and motivating.
Some simple bullet points would be:
  • Don't turn your back, face your opponent.
  • Don't stay flat on your back. Get on your side at minimum.
  • Don't let your armpits get exposed, tuck your elbows in
  • Don't extend your arms to push your opponent away.
  • Connect your elbows and knees.
  • Protect your neck above all else.

bam02
AG
Thank you! The few things I have "learned" to this point have been basic concepts like these that someone has told me at the end of class. Very helpful!
AggieChemE09
AG
bam02 said:

Thank you! The few things I have "learned" to this point have been basic concepts like these that someone has told me at the end of class. Very helpful!
and honestly, if you can really abide by these "rules", you will be well on your way.

There is a big difference between your mind knowing the rules and your body knowing them though, and you will only get that with mat time.
bam02
AG
Thanks again. The first open mat I went to a guy saw me just watching and it was obvious I was new and he was nice enough to show me a couple of things. He basically told me the one about not letting your armpits get exposed. That one clicked immediately and has stuck with me ever since. Seems so obvious, but until he pointed out that concept, I don't think I was consistently doing that.

I definitely look forward to the point where it all becomes more instinctive
Sweep4-2
Good list. I'd also add: Your hands should never touch the mat.

And from your back/guard you want to maximize points of contact (hands/feer) with opponent. From the top, you want points of contact with opponent minimized.

Also, when passing guard, always move forward (never just side to side).
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.