Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BJJ

151,227 Views | 1312 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Sweep4-2
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha ha mine just felt like strep throat all day. It's finally feeling a little better now 12 hours later. Guess I need to tap sooner.

That pain goes from 0 to 60 quick, though, when they get the right hold on you at the right angle with the right part of their forearm.
O.G.
This is making me wonder what non-BJJ folks think when they read this.
bam02
AG
I was sure to put a smiley emoji with all of my posts about being choked. Definitely not wanting to scare anyone off. I'm all good today!
bam02
AG
Today my observation is that Brazilian jiu-jitsu is way less intuitive for me than I was expecting. I really thought I would kind of naturally know what to do to some degree, but so many times I just turn the wrong direction or do something else to put myself in a terrible position, or just miss an opportunity that is obvious to everyone else who is watching. Today I did it in spite of being told multiple times. Very frustrating but humbling and motivating.
AggieChemE09
AG
bam02 said:

Today my observation is that Brazilian jiu-jitsu is way less intuitive for me than I was expecting. I really thought I would kind of naturally know what to do to some degree, but so many times I just turn the wrong direction or do something else to put myself in a terrible position, or just miss an opportunity that is obvious to everyone else who is watching. Today I did it in spite of being told multiple times. Very frustrating but humbling and motivating.
Some simple bullet points would be:
  • Don't turn your back, face your opponent.
  • Don't stay flat on your back. Get on your side at minimum.
  • Don't let your armpits get exposed, tuck your elbows in
  • Don't extend your arms to push your opponent away.
  • Connect your elbows and knees.
  • Protect your neck above all else.

bam02
AG
Thank you! The few things I have "learned" to this point have been basic concepts like these that someone has told me at the end of class. Very helpful!
AggieChemE09
AG
bam02 said:

Thank you! The few things I have "learned" to this point have been basic concepts like these that someone has told me at the end of class. Very helpful!
and honestly, if you can really abide by these "rules", you will be well on your way.

There is a big difference between your mind knowing the rules and your body knowing them though, and you will only get that with mat time.
bam02
AG
Thanks again. The first open mat I went to a guy saw me just watching and it was obvious I was new and he was nice enough to show me a couple of things. He basically told me the one about not letting your armpits get exposed. That one clicked immediately and has stuck with me ever since. Seems so obvious, but until he pointed out that concept, I don't think I was consistently doing that.

I definitely look forward to the point where it all becomes more instinctive
Sweep4-2
Good list. I'd also add: Your hands should never touch the mat.

And from your back/guard you want to maximize points of contact (hands/feer) with opponent. From the top, you want points of contact with opponent minimized.

Also, when passing guard, always move forward (never just side to side).
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
O.G.
My gym is having an Open Mat on July 4th, if anyone in the Austin region wants to get their roll on.

I believe the hours will be 11am-1pm.

Gracie Humaita Austin.

Gracie Humaita Austin (ghaustin.com)
Max Power
AG
Ugh, injuries are starting to pile up. Several weeks ago I did something to my shoulder, been trying to take it easy but still go to class. Luckily w/ BJJ there's not a ton of pushing but I tried to lift last week and even benching light was painful in my right shoulder. Not sure if I need to seen an orthopedist or not about that.

Bigger issue is last Wednesday I thought I pulled a muscle in my back while rolling but it's been hurting more than any pulled muscle I can remember. Hurts to walk on the left leg, going forward is what hurts but going up and down the stairs is fine. My wife thinks it could be an aggravation of the sciatic nerve, looking online she might be right. Anyone deal with that before? Any suggestions on dealing with that are welcome. I didn't go to class on Saturday and I don't know if I should say away a while or what. Looks like stretching and moving are recommended online and I shouldn't see a doctor unless it persists for weeks but I figured I'd see if anyone here has had similar issues. I'm 44 and feeling my age sucks.
AggieChemE09
AG
AggieChemE09 said:

Had an awkward roll yesterday. Got stuck in a crucifix, where I was just going to lean on the guy till he made his move. Well, he made a quicker than expected move and pretty much americana'd my arm and my elbow popped. There was no pain during or immediatly after, but today it feels pretty bad. I think it is a sprained UCL.
2 months later I am finally dragging myself into the doctors office to have my elbow looked at
P.U.T.U
AG
Every time I take my kids to BJJ it makes me want to get back on the mats. Then I remember a partially torn rotator cuff is easier to fix than a fully torn one. Getting married this weekend and then I can start thinking about getting the surgery. Think it has been 3 months
AggieChemE09
AG
Damnit
Max Power
AG
I got checked out yesterday for my shoulder and back/hip issue. Evidently my shoulder is arthritis, so it's just going to feel this way forever so push ups, bench press, etc will always hurt. I don't have sciatica, there's no evidence of disk issues, it's inflammation. She said basically to not roll or lift for a week and see how it goes. I'm concerned that this might be it for me. The inflammation got so bad Monday night I could barely walk anymore the pain was so bad.

Good news: no need for surgery, I had a fear something was going on in one or both areas that I'd have to have surgery. My dad has had back and shoulder surgery and neither have been great for him.
Bad news: I have concerns that I won't be able to roll anymore.

I'm trying to stay calm on this but if I can't exercise like I've been used to I don't know how that will affect my mental health, not just my physical health.
Apache
AG
Man that really sucks & I'm sorry to hear that.

I will say that one of my main training parters has rheumatoid arthritis & has managed very well by cleaning up his diet, heat/cold therapy & staying active. He doesn't train as hard, but he is consistent.

Don't give up hope!!
Max Power
AG
Went to class for the first time in a couple of weeks last night and I'm doing ok so far today. I was able to cut the grass on Sunday and woke up yesterday not in too much pain. I couldn't really move explosively before when going for things like takedowns because of my knees so the hip wasn't a big issue as long as it's been stretched enough. Luckily there's other older guys in there with me that I know won't go full blast if I ask them not to. The only person not taking it easy on me was a guy who's only been there a couple of months but he gassed himself out by going too hard, he hasn't learned to slow down yet, he hasn't accepted that it's ok to lose, I just let him get burned out and didn't even have to submit him.

So far so good but because of the fact last week I couldn't even walk without pain I was really stressed out going into last night. My wife was trying to convince me to just do something like Orange Theory instead but I told her BJJ has helped me immensely and I enjoy it. I know I'm not great but I've kept going 2-3 times a week and I'm closing in on two years now. There's something to doing an activity over and over knowing that it's hard but showing up anyway, small victories mean so much to me in there, especially having no previous experience that helps me in any way in there and I started at 42. Every time I miss classes I can tell it impacts me mentally, and it helps when I go, especially on the days I have to drag myself to class, those are always the best ones. I'll be back on Wednesday night.

It sucks getting old and the random things that seem to hit you out of nowhere. My hip/back issue didn't even happen when I was rolling with the young blue belt I was with, it happened when I was getting up off the mat. I'm going to work on being more consistent in stretching and I need to put in more work on my core. I figure now that I officially have arthritis in my right shoulder I have less of an excuse to neglect those activities.
shaynew1
AG
As I get older and feel more banged up I give more attention to diet, rest, and cross training before I give up grappling. Been through one surgery and a bunch of injuries. I know my athleticism is declining but that just motivates me to sharpen technique. My ears are wrecked anyway so I'm pot committed.

I'm with you on showing up and small victories. There are a lot of days when I don't feel like going but there are zero days that I leave the gym and wish I hadn't gone. Even if I get smashed by all the white belts.

All this to say you aren't alone. Winning matters less to me every day, even on the few days that I know I am improving. Jiu jitsu has taught me a lot about community, evangelizing, enduring discomfort, and attitude that is applicable to many parts of my life.

So keep trucking. The days when I crush everyone feel good, but that isn't the reason I keep coming back.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I couldn't really move explosively before when going for things like takedowns because of my knees so the hip wasn't a big issue as long as it's been stretched enough.
You should probably scale back the standing work if not remove completely if possible, especially when training with someone younger or more prone to using strength.

Those dynamic movements (and the sudden stops when encountering the floor) are just too dang rough on me at 50. I know them, but I just don't care to work them that much. Most of my injuries have come from stand up (sprains, bruised ribs, banged up knees etc.)

I know it is part of having a complete grappling game, but I'd rather be less competent on my feet and still training than competent and injured.
Max Power
AG
shaynew1 said:

As I get older and feel more banged up I give more attention to diet, rest, and cross training before I give up grappling. Been through one surgery and a bunch of injuries. I know my athleticism is declining but that just motivates me to sharpen technique. My ears are wrecked anyway so I'm pot committed.

I'm with you on showing up and small victories. There are a lot of days when I don't feel like going but there are zero days that I leave the gym and wish I hadn't gone. Even if I get smashed by all the white belts.

All this to say you aren't alone. Winning matters less to me every day, even on the few days that I know I am improving. Jiu jitsu has taught me a lot about community, evangelizing, enduring discomfort, and attitude that is applicable to many parts of my life.

So keep trucking. The days when I crush everyone feel good, but that isn't the reason I keep coming back.
With age comes wisdom, there's a lot of it in here. Every time I think to myself I wish I started BJJ in my 20s I remind myself that I might not have had the right mentality in my 20s to stick with it. I've seen plenty of guys younger than me quit in the 20ish months I've been going to class. They get frustrated they aren't getting better as fast as they want to, they want to move from white belt to blue belt so bad they can't deal with it when they can't beat someone like me when age and strength are on their side. They don't seem to notice the vast majority of adults that are no longer a white belt at our gym are at a minimum in their 30s, it's pretty rare to see someone in their 20s at our gym that isn't a white belt, granted we are in the suburbs. The ones in their 20s and have higher belts have been practicing BJJ since they were kids.

It's good to be at a gym where there's no shame admitting your limitations and trying to do something different than what's being taught in the interest of your own health.

Totally agree with you Apache, I'd rather have a limited knowledge of standing game but get to keep rolling in the interest of avoiding injury.
Apache
AG
O.G.
Apache said:

Johnny was Lawrence was the real Karate Kid......but Renzo Gracie would have killed him.
AggieDave02
AG
Had my first bjj training session last night. I'm 44 and, whoa, I found out how out of shape I am. The members were great and went out of their way to welcome me and teach me the basics. Learning the technique part of the session was good. Actually rolling wore me out quick. I need to work on my cardio. My sons who are 6 and 9 went with me and had fun also. I'm hoping this is a great way for us to do something together.
O.G.
AggieDave02 said:

Had my first bjj training session last night. I'm 44 and, whoa, I found out how out of shape I am. The members were great and went out of their way to welcome me and teach me the basics. Learning the technique part of the session was good. Actually rolling wore me out quick. I need to work on my cardio. My sons who are 6 and 9 went with me and had fun also. I'm hoping this is a great way for us to do something together.
Welcome. Don't worry about being out of shape.

Your sons need you doing this more than you know.
bam02
AG
Man that's awesome. I'm just a few months ahead of you so I am still mostly clueless, but I am loving it. I started at 45 so it's a little depressing knowing my ceiling is limited, but I try not to worry about that and just enjoy getting a little bit better each week.

I just got my son to start going about two months after I initially started and I am really excited for him. He is 12 and he is really loving this as much as any sport he's done so far.
P.U.T.U
AG
You can work on your cardio a little out of class but rolling consistently is the best way to increase your BJJ cardio. It is just different
Apache
AG
More reps rolling will help you learn to be calm, which will help your cardio.
O.G.
P.U.T.U said:

You can work on your cardio a little out of class but rolling consistently is the best way to increase your BJJ cardio. It is just different
Can confirm. Running cardio is totally different from BJJ cardio.
Moral High Horse
can't just do running, you have to do sprints as well
Sweep4-2
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! It's a fun sport and you'll roll your way into BJJ shape.

During hard training cycles, I'd do this cardio routine when I was off the mats:
-1 mile slooooow jog
-400m run (at a target pace of about 80-90% max speed)
-Dips or Burpees to failure
-Battle ropes (5x45 seconds)
-20 slam ball slams
-Repeat 4-6 times
-1 mile slow cooldown

Each set got worse than the one before (slower, sloppier, less reps) and people thought I was a weirdo I'm sure) but it worked.

AggieDave02
AG
Thanks for all the great advice! I'll let you know how it goes. Nothing worth doing is easy.
O.G.
Traveling a bit & did a drop in at Rilion Gracie, Jiu Jitsu in Galveston TX. Its fairly new, only been there about a year or so according to the guys I talked to.

The professor was very nice & all of the guys there were cool.

Bonus, I got to take my son (he's 21) to his first BJJ class & I suspect strongly that he's going to take to it. I let the professor talk to him a long time so we'll see how it goes.
Sweep4-2
Im going to make a return to BJJ training in the next couple weeks. I'm way out of rolling shape and my technique will be trash. But my neck is better, my son is off to college (so I'm a new empty nester) and I need to get back to it.

I'm anxious to get back to the camaraderie, learning, etc. but I expect the live training will be brutal haha.
Moral High Horse
Hell, I only took 10 days off and first went back last night. I feel like crap. Good luck
AggieChemE09
AG
I haven't trained in 3 wees now :/. Wife has been in the hospital for observation for the end of the pregnancy. Baby2 should come next Wednesday, and we will finally get to go home and return to a somewhat normal life that includes training

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.