West Texas
Sponsored by

Strange West Texas Connections

147,086 Views | 621 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by tk80
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No one has the knowledge of fossil, but "newer" stories than the ones fossil recounted could get things going again.

One year at A&M I took a geology course. Really enjoyed it. The instructor was a retired geologist from an oil company. One day the lecture turned to the Santa Rita #1--the first well on university land. It was drilled in Texon, about 12 miles west of Big Lake. The instructor said the story was that the well was drilled at that particular location because the drilling equipment got stuck very soon after being off-loaded from the train. I told him I was from Big Lake and he asked if I could find out if there was any truth to this rumor.

When I went home for spring break I ran down Ike Chaffin, who owned the local liquor store in Big Lake as I was growing up. Ike had worked on the drilling rig that drilled the Santa Rita well. Ike confirmed that the legend was true. That a big rain had come and the resulting mud caused the equipment to get stuck.

The next week I informed the instructor of my research. I easily got an A in that course.
Dawg6
AG
Bump for one of the greatest threads on TexAgs!
Proud Roscoe Plowboy!
fossil_ag
AG
I am proud to be associated with Roscoe Plowboys,..... at Roby we always dreaded to tangle with Roscoe in any sport....we could always expect a battle.
theonefromnolancounty12
AG
I didn't know there were any other Plowboys on the board!!
fossil_ag
AG
Dawg6 I grew up in the metropolis of Roby. The fellow who posted on this thread immediately above your post was a long time resident of Sweetwater. This is my reason for hanging out with neighbors.
lataqueria
I've lurked on this thread for years. I always enjoy reading and re-reading fossil's stories. I grew up 3 counties to the west.

Here's my feeble attempt to contribute to the thread. This is about a family friend and his wife. Both have since passed, but it had some interesting tidbits about early life in Dawson and Gained Cos.

http://lubbockonline.com/life/2014-03-08/lamesa-couple-conley-and-geneva-esmond-celebrating-75th-wedding-anniversary
CanyonAg77
AG
From that article
Quote:

Geneva recalls, "People rode around the square. Girls went one way, boys the other way," she said of drivers who went opposite directions around the downtown square.

My relatives were from Ackerley. When visiting some female cousins one Christmas, we went to Lamesa. After a few circuits of the square with them driving, they gave me the wheel. They were horrified when I tried to circle the square the same direction they had been going. I hadn't noticed anything.

So the custom was still around in the 1970s.
IIIHorn
Fossil ...

I pray you are doing well, Sir.
fossil_ag
fossil_ag
AG
  • I am doing well, thank you for asking. Usual aches and pains I suppose an old timer can expect. Looking forward to next season football,,,,,,
carpe vinum
AG
bump
FishrCoAg
AG
Thanks. Just came over to do this.
mellison
TheSheik
AG
what a great thread !
went back to the beginning - as I have several times through the years

fossil-ag was a great addition to our world on the internet
such a great story-teller
I met him for lunch one day at the Hat-A-Hoe in Anson

gonna miss seeing him around here

carpe vinum
AG
Quote:

Hat-A-Hoe in Anson
Hey, I know that place.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
BowSowy
AG
I enjoyed reading through this thread. I didn't grow up in West Texas but my dad's from Hermleigh and mom's Snyder, still have a lot of family back there that I don't visit as often as I should.

Awesome amount of history in here which was told well by those who know it. I never knew fossil but I felt like I knew him a bit reading through this thread.
BleacherRat
From Sweetwater myself...Class of 70. Go Mustangs!
carpe vinum
AG
Just reread the first few pages again.
Still just as consuming as the first time.
FishrCoAg
AG
carpe vinum said:

Just reread the first few pages again.
Still just as consuming as the first time.
Glad for the bump. Hope y'all are doing ok.
texag_89
carpe vinum said:

Quote:

Hat-A-Hoe in Anson
Hey, I know that place.

RIP Carpe.... Read he passed recently and was Fossil's son.... Cancer got him in his 50's.

Here.

cadetjay02
AG
Carpe Vinum used to spend the summers with his grandpa out in Roby when he was young, he always enjoyed the times out there. I've been out many a time too, but we're running out of living family out there.
vacating FL410
Great thread. Thanks for keeping it alive.

I was born in Odessa. My grandfather was a rancher on the west side of town and my dad had a vet clinic.on the east edge of the ranch. I didn't attend school there because we moved to another ranch my grandfather had in central Texas but we traveled back to Odessa almost every weekend. I saw Elvis at the Coliseum in 1976 and used to play mini golf at a place just across from the Coliseum.

I saw many movies at the Scott and Ector theatres. I saw the movie Airport at Grandview Cinema. Every movie at that place was quite an event.

My dad would take me to eat breakfast at the Inn of the Golden West, pretty nice hotel at the time. My grandfather would take me out to drag races at Penwell, and to Prairie Dog Park. I would often attend church at Belmont Baptist with my grandparents followed by a visit to Furrs cafeteria.

I took my father out to Odessa 3 years ago so he could visit his old vet clinic and see Odessa. It has certainly changed. Everything does.
TequilaMockingbird
vacating FL410 said:

I saw the movie Airport at Grandview Cinema. Every movie at that place was quite an event.

Midway and Earhquake in Sensurround!
SW AG80
AG
FL410, I grew up in Big Lake and I was at that Elvis concert at the Ector County Coliseum in 1976. It was on a Sunday I believe.
Sb1540
My family owns a ranch that contains part of Castle Gap. Not a very well known area but is rich in history. Many legends of buried treasure and stagecoach robberies. There's a book out called Castle Gap and the Pecos Frontier. Good background info on the region.
Post removed:
by user
FishrCoAg
AG
Was talking about Highway 70 in Fisher County and decided this thread needs a bump for those who haven't read it or fossil's stories.
tk80
AG
Thanks for renewing this thread. A lot of great memories there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.