West Texas
Sponsored by

Strange West Texas Connections

147,508 Views | 622 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by tk80
powerbiscuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We miss you and your posts. I hope you are getting better.
FishrCoAg
AG
Great to hear from you fossil.
fossil_ag
AG
Good to be back ... only barely so.

Typing for me is a chore. I lurk on the internet daily but rarely enter conversations. Know that I am here dail and wish you well.
fossil_ag
powerbiscuit
Have you tried any dictation software?

Might not be an option if your speech is hard to understand, but it could do your typing for you. They work pretty well these days.
fossil_ag
AG
I had my stroke four years ago.

Since then I have been in rehab and in therapy since then. I have regained much of what I lost but have much to go.

I cannot write with a pen to sign a check or write my name but I can type pretty well using one hand. My right side is pretty much lame but I hobble around ok, all things considered.

It is hell to be old and lame and crippled up ... so just bear with me while I try to regain some strength and skill.
Ag12
AG
Fossil
TheSheik
AG
Good to hear from you Fossil
I've thought about you a lot in the last few years - keep working at it

powerbiscuit
Keep working at it fossil. We'll be here waiting for you.
Flying Crowbar
AG
Fossil!
TERRY L
great to see you on here again Fossil!
have missed you.
fossil_ag
AG
Wow, I just finished reeadng this thread ... that is a chore I would not recommend to anyone.

Hello Terry, it is nice to see you. Havent heard from your dad in quite some time ... He is well I trust.
Predmid
AG
Well, this isn't my story, but I'll post a friend of mines who, though he didn't attend the school, is a gigantic Aggie.

He took a trip to new york & boston recently.

One night in boston, he walked into a bar and in his typical west texas style, started meeting & greeting with strangers. Well, after about 10 minutes a gentleman overhears he's from midland.

"You go to Midland high or Midland Lee?"

"Midland Lee"

"Oh, I went Abilene High"

They talked about 10 minutes about the rivalry
The rest of the conversation went something like this:

The gentleman: "you know, I played quarterback, and if I hadn't of dropped that last ball and lost State, I'd probably not be doing what I do today"

Friend: "Oh, what's that?"

Gentleman: "oh, I play baseball for the Boston Red Sox, my name is John Lackey".

Right at this moment, my friend's sister walks in (she is the biggest baseball fan ever):
"OH MY GOD, you're talking to John Lackey!"

Lackey was with his wife celebrating her last cancer treatment. Friend & his sister had all their drinks & dinner bought and paid for by Mr. Lackey.
TERRY L
Fossil

Dad is doing fine. he had to let go of his cows during the flood last spring and he is lost without them. we all went to sweetwater last summer for a visit and he enjoyed visiting with cousins and old high school friends. i'm so glad we got to go.

so good to see you doing better and posting again. i'll tell dad that you asked about him.
i know he will say to tell you Howdy!
mel99
AG
John Lackey filed for divorce in September. Took a big hit in the media for leaving his wife while she was battling cancer.
Predmid
AG
I did not hear that.

The trip was taken in June (I remember this because they talked about being at fenway during the cup presentation for the bruins).
Azul88
AG
I'm only halfway through, but this may be the best thread ever on Texags.

ttt
fossil_ag
AG
Azul 88. Welcome aboard. It has been a long dry spell since we welcomed the last newby. We are frienldy here and enjoy a new face.
Mucho austin
AG
I've jumped in and read pieces of this thread over the years. Very fun and interesting.

I probably should have posted my west Texas connections a while ago.

My family owns 4 funeral homes in west Texas. 2 of them have a history that im not to sure of. 1 is 2 years old and we bought to get rid of a man of questionable character and to compete with another man of questionable character.

The 2 I don't know the history of are:
Martinez-smith funeral home in Odessa.
Alpine memorial in Alpine.

The other one mentioned above was formerly a Gentry funeral home in Fort Stockton, it is now called Heritage Funeral Home of the Big Bend. Gentry is the first questionable guy, the other is Ray Chapa.

Our 4th funeral home is Pecos Funeral Home in Pecos. This one has a fun history as it used to be owned by Billy Sol Estes. I'm sure some wheelin and dealin happened in some of those rooms.

If anyone knows any history associated with any of these places, I'd love to hear it.
TheSheik
AG
fossil_Ag

good to see you still hanging around
wildcat08
AG
quote:
The other one mentioned above was formerly a Gentry funeral home in Fort Stockton, it is now called Heritage Funeral Home of the Big Bend.

My dad got involved with Gentry for a short while when he was in Junction. He bought a funeral home from a friend of my dad's, and met my dad through the friend. My dad tried to help him out a little bit, including riding along with him on some long pickups/deliveries. If I remember correctly, Gentry had narcolepsy and couldn't stay awake on long drives. My 80-something year old dad and a guy with narcolepsy, driving a hearse--there's a mental image for you.
Mucho austin
AG
Gentry tried selling his junction funeral home to us with the fort Stockton one, but it didn't fit our plan.

I hear he's off hiding in Colorado or something. Just hearsay.

I also used to have funeral homes in Kermit and monahans.

I really like traveling out to west Texas. Always make a stop at the Marfa lights. I've seen em each time.
Comeby!
AG
Fossil_ag
carpe vinum
AG
Fossil
FishrCoAg
AG
Glad to see you back, fossil. I'll have to come to this forum more often again.
FishrCoAg
AG
Bump for all the new people who haven't seen this thread
Mucho austin
AG
Good bump. One of the few threads I have bookmarked.
fossil_ag
AG
I am still here. Keep a low profile but still active as I care to be. I still miss the fun and action of the old days but that is history for me. Just do not forget old Fossil. I will be lurking daily.
CanyonAg77
AG
Fossil!
powerbiscuit
Glad to hear from you again. Thanks for all the insight.
FishrCoAg
AG
quote:
I am still here. Keep a low profile but still active as I care to be. I still miss the fun and action of the old days but that is history for me. Just do not forget old Fossil. I will be lurking daily.

Glad to hear from you!
fossil_ag
AG
I am still here folks. Doing well as one would expect. Coming up on eighty third birth day in a week or so. Still hanging there and giving it my best shot. I still lurk on TEXAGS daily........just keeping an eye on you.....

Tube
SW AG80
AG
We need to get this going again. I hardly ever make it back to Sweetwater but that place is ecstatic with the Mustangs making it back to the state championship. And a great story out of Iraan. Iraan is a great west Texas town with some of the best people I have ever known. I miss the west Texas people.
fossil_ag
AG
SW AG 80 and WesttTxAg..........Nice to hear from you folks. If you are suggesting I restart the thread .... sorry due to failing health ...... I must pass. But either of you or numerous other would be worthy successors. You have my blessing to carry on with God speed., Fossil.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.