West Texas
Sponsored by

Strange West Texas Connections

147,529 Views | 622 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by tk80
powerbiscuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hey fossil, hope you are doing better every day...
fossil_ag
AG
Powerbiscuit, old friend.

It has been a struggle. Since the stroke occured on Halloween it has required the support of a cast of experts in the health care field. I have merely followed orders and kept quiet.

For the past couple of months my time has been been devoted to my coaches in speech and physical trerapy. It is a long road back but I can see great things happening.

My strength comes from encouraging words and support from family, friends and colleagaues.

Fossil.
EMc77
AG
Fossil,

Keep up with the speech and PT. I had a stroke in '02, actually 7 years ago on the 1st.

It took me about 12 weeks of PT,OT and speech therapy, but most folks don't know I had one.

Keeping you my prayers.

EMc
TheSheik
AG
Fossil,

TheSheik has got all this part of West Texas under control.........except for a few idiots here and there.

We're all trying to keep the wildfires from running us off, and waiting for a little rain

fossil_ag
AG
EMc77.

Thank you for the heads up on what to expect as a stroke veteran. I can use all the advice I can receive. A lot of the information is encouraging. I hope to be so fortunate.
fossil_ag
AG
The Sheik. Good luck on snaring a rain shower while avoiding a forest fire.
An April shower is much more tolerable this time of year. Good luck.
TERRY L
Fossil

it is great to see you posting alot again.
Dad says to tell you Hi!
TERRY L
Fossil

it is great to see you posting alot again.
Dad says to tell you Hi!
Killer-K 89
AG
Fossil,

From a fellow West Texan who has loved your posts over the years, good luck on your future good health that is coming your way.
powerbiscuit
another thumbs up for fossil_ag,

keep on keepin' on
fossil_ag
AG
I could not let a favorite old thread wither on the vine.

The West Texas thread has lost many contributors in the past few year but I think the interest in West Texas history remains alive and well.

Wecome to a rerun of times past.

powerbiscuit

[This message has been edited by powerbiscuit (edited 11/15/2009 11:03p).]
TERRY L
fossil

are you doing okay?
haven't seen you in awhile.
TheSheik
AG
hey Fossil
how you been ?

fossil_ag
AG
powerbiscuit, TERRY L, and TheSheik,

It is nice to have shout outs from you folks. I am doing ok, I suppose ... right leg is still gimpy but I get around ok.

Just getting by.
powerbiscuit
TERRY L
"just getting by"

aren't we all
EMc77
carpe vinum
AG
I saw an article about 'Dolly' today and thought of this thread.
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/10432778/Brunson's-autobiography-goes-beyond-poker
TAMUallen
AG
ttt
Cepe
AG
This is a classic thread and I haven't even had time to get through it all!

On the kerosene discussion, when my uncle was a boy he was out chopping wood with my grandfather on a misty day. The axe slipped and cut half way through his foot. They stuck his foot into a bucket of kerosene to travel all the way to the doctor. My uncle stated he could see the blood shoot out in squirts in the kerosene. Somehow, it carterized the wound and kept him from bleeding out and saved his foot, even though he didn't have feeling in it any more.

As far as music, I found this:

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/14/western-swing-on-78.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

The video in the middle is very much morth watching.

Fossil, thanks for all you do for us Aggies!
BrenTexAg74
AG
Fossil, getting by, You are doing it with honor, we all appreciate you!
jrwoodchuck
Hey, guys, I registered on here after running across this thread and took several days to read it. I'm living in Batawn Rooj, LA now, but was born and reared in Hamlin. I really identified with a lot of the the stuff from the '50's on.

I was sitting here today thinking about this thread and thought I'd throw a few things out there for you.

Thrill hill--How many of you guys had one? The one we had was a mother, lol. I had a '71 Delta 88 Custom at the time, and going off that hill had the potential to send you home with dirty underwear.

Mosquito truck--The sprayer was mounted on the back of a pickup and put out a fog that was unbelievable. We used to ride behind it on our bicycles and couldn't see squat. I don't what they sprayed back then, but it's a wonder we are all still alive.

Celotex--Gypsum plant outside of town and a big employer back in the day. I don't know if it's still operating or not.

USG in Sweetwater--Worked there for a couple of years. Paid well for back then.

Saddle&Sirloin in Abilene--I think that was the name. A good place for that 2am food fest after the clubs closed.

Gibson's Discount Center

S&H Green Stamps

These are a few of the things I remember off the top of my head. This is a great thread and I would hate to see it die.
TheSheik
AG
Thrill Hill for us Anson people was about half way between Anson and Hamlin. Coming down off skinout mountain about a mile north of hiway 180 10 miles west of Anson.

Dirt road that just disapeared underneath your headlights at night. Knocked a hole in my transmission pan one night about 2am and had to walk back to Anson. Nobody was on the CB .....

[This message has been edited by TheSheik (edited 2/5/2010 7:58p).]
TERRY L
THE MOSQUITO MAN !!!!!

i was raised in the mississippi delta though my dad was born and raised in sweetwater and mom in shamrock. the mosquito man was the most popular guy ever. he drove the sprayer truck through the neighborhoods at dusk. all the kids would bail out of the houses to play in the fog, mostly swinging sticks and wrestling.
the fog was straight DDT and yes we all still glow in the dark.

i often wonder if that little black man who drove the sprayer knew just how popular he has.
TERRY L
Has anyone heard from Fossil Ag????
jrwoodchuck
That was ours, too. My goodness, I haven't heard skinout mountain in a gazillion years. I know you had to be really careful to keep the front wheels straight or you could find yourself in a world of hurt in a hurry.

You mentioned having to walk back to Anson. West of Hamlin there was a dirt road we called beer can alley. One night my date and I came back from Abilene and were gonna go parking out there, lol. It had rained and the road was really slick. The car (my mother's of course) just kinda slid to the side of the road and hit high center. I carried my date piggyback back to town. Had about 10lbs. of mud on my shoes. She never went out with me again.
Not predmid
Do any of you west texas people know the Stumberg clan out of Alpine and Pecos?
carpe vinum
AG
I have sat on skinout 'mountain' shooting at jack rabbits below a few times.
fossil_ag
AG
How about another bump to liven up this subject. Good west Texas history. fossil.
TERRY L
Hey Fossil
i was wondering about you, hope everything is going okay

i thought of something the other day. another oddity of Texas which we didn't have in Mississippi. growing up we would all gather at mom's parents ranch in the panhandle for holidays and when my uncle, who was career Air Force was home with the foreign legend. granmom referred to their 6 kids as the foreign legend cause they were each born in a different country.

anyway, they had birds there that dad called scissor tails and they were everywhere. dad would tell us that if we told lies that these scissor tails would swope down and chop our ears off. Texas was the strangest place, even the mockingbirds at home weren't that scary. there would be 12 grandkids running around in the yard screaming and holding hands over their ears every time we saw one of those birds.
FishrCoAg
AG
Glad to see you back fossil.
Linz02Ag
AG
Didn't know there were so many Hamlin peeps on TexAgs.
TheSheik
AG
noticed that this thread had fallen of the edge again

let me add a little bit to our wealth of West Texas knowledge

In the Abilene paper yesterday was an "Ask Doug" article asking how far off is the horizon - Doug's answer was a little wrong....hell almost completely wrong but the formula he gave was correct

Altitude above the ground times 1.5
and then the square root of that equals miles to the horizon

so if my eyeball is 6 foot from the ground
then the horizon is 3 miles distance

the problem arises - so to speak - when you or the horizon is elevated. If I'm sitting in my office on the top floor of a 20 story building - 200 feet or so up - I can see 17 miles to the horizon (200 * 1.5 = 300 SQRT equals 17 miles)

same deal up on the plains

Lubbock has an elevation of about 200 more feet than Tahoka. So if you're sitting in downtown Tahoka you're looking up hill to Lubbock and on a clear day can probably see tall buildings and grain elevators more than 20 miles away

how's that for obscure discussion material

[This message has been edited by TheSheik (edited 8/19/2010 4:11p).]
fossil_ag
AG
The fossil is still here ... alive and kicking. Just wanted to give a shout out to my old frieds. Please know I miss being able to keep up with the conversations. I think of this board often.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.