Houston
Sponsored by

***Houston Golf Thread***

73,623 Views | 1227 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by srob2004
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm heading out to Eagle Point in Mt. Belvieu tomorrow. Looks nice on their website.
Techsan_02
Battleground in Deer Park? anyone played there?
ElCheAg
AG
Battleground is a good course. I would rate it as follows:

Fairways **1/2

Greens **1/2

Tee box ***

Layout **1/2

Value ****

Pro Shop ***1/2 (they always have a sale on clothing)

Kitchen ***1/2 (best damn burger at a golf club)

[This message has been edited by ElCheAg (edited 5/12/2006 11:57a).]

[This message has been edited by ElCheAg (edited 5/12/2006 11:58a).]
Techsan_02
I'm heade out there in a couple of hours.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Played Eagle Pointe today in Mt. Belvieu. Nice layout. Greens were quick but not in great shape. Fairways and tee boxes were nice. Lots of rolling hills too. ***
Gig-Em2003
AG
Decided to go play Greatwood twilight at the last minute. Played 18 in 2 hours, 15 minutes.

The course was in ok shape. A little dry in some areas.
srob2004
AG
Played Redstone Member Course yesterday(charity tourney)

Great course and the conditions were really nice too. I remember walking the course a couple years ago for the SHO and it was really neat playing the course.

Greens were pretty soft because of the rain, but the course showed few wet spots(except on some cart paths) and there was no mud/shoggy areas in the fairways, etc. So it drains really well.

Redstone also does an outstanding job on the experience of the tourney.(food,prizes,gifts,etc)
1208HawkTree
AG
Golfer...Sorry I didn't get back to you. I had to work and didn't get your message until you were probably about finished.

Are the greens as bad as the practice green? Its the worst I've ever seen it, so if the ones on the course are at all close to that bad, its going to be a long summer for GWGC. I'm off this weekend, so maybe we can get out and play. How's the putter grip working out?
Ags #1
AG
Played Riverpointe this past saturday. I like the course but they had airated the greens so putting was a bit tough. On a side note, how long does it usually take for the greens to get back to normal after being airated?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Played Timber Creek in Friendswood this afternoon. What a nice little course. I grew-up in the area and had no idea that much land was back there. ***
Agman
AG
Played Tour 18 today...shot a 39 on the front with a double off the bat...back 9 wasn't as kind. Fairways were in great shape, greens were ok. ***1/2

The best thing to come out of it was an invitation to Whispering Pines next month! I'll report back.
jgreg09
AG
I played Augusta Pines in Spring last Thursday for the first time and shot 76. From the back tees it plays a little longer than 7000 yards. The course was playing very fast and firm and in good shape. The toughest part about this course were the greens, very fast with alot of slope. I normally play Magnolia Creek in League City, so I figured no big deal. These greens took some getting used to as I three putted 5 holes on the front 9 and didn't make a putt outside of 5 feet the entire round. Overall I would rate the course 3.5 out of 4.
Ags #1
AG
Playing Sienna Plantation tomorrow. Any thoughts on this course?
Sugar_Land_Wes
AG
Played Sienna a few times. Not too much to complain about execpt for the price - a little steep IMO. Well kept, challenging but not too tough...
Ezra Brooks
AG
I like Sienna - but as Wes said...they are a bit proud.
Ags #1
AG
Cool. Thanks for the input. I think my friend said we are paying $55 for green fees which seems a little pricey.
Ezra Brooks
AG
There's plenty of golf worth $55 in Houston...I just happen to think Sienna should be about $45.
rockinerik
I am about to head up and play Red Wolf Run, formerly Lake Houston GC. I will let you all know...
Ags #1
AG
Sienna was a pretty good course but the greens could really use some work. There were alot of brown spots on the greens.

[This message has been edited by Ags #1 (edited 5/27/2006 5:58p).]
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
Sienna was a pretty good course but the greens could really use some work. There were alot of brown spots on the greens.

This has been the case for a couple of years. Don't really know what the problem is, but I doubt its a budget problem with the fees they charge. The one and only time I played there I almost went and demanded a refund at the turn it was so bad. I paid $65 and the least I could get for that price was greens with grass on them, but I was wrong. It was unbelievable how bad they were.

[This message has been edited by 1208HawkTree (edited 5/28/2006 10:16p).]
Ags #1
AG
Yep. It was amazing how bad the green were. For $55 I expected alot more.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
This has been the case for a couple of years. Don't really know what the problem is, but I doubt its a budget problem with the fees they charge.

One of the reasons it's been so long since I've been back there - we were told that they had gotten a fungus and were having a hard time fighting it - but this was back in 2003/2004.

I helped a buddy move out there on Sat. and he is near the golf course, I couldn't see the greens, but the rest of the course looked to be in pretty good shape.

Also - drove by The Battleground on the way to the in-laws yesterday and it looked to be in great shape as well.

I had to settle for a couple of hours of practice at Wildcat in the rain.
agsuper1
Probably ETRI and curvularia leaf spot two diseases common to ultradwarfs in Houston. Very difficult to control at times. ETRI attacks the root system weakening the plant opening it up to secondary pathogens such as curvularia or dessication from a lack of a root system.
Ezra Brooks
AG
TTT - who has been playing lately?

I have not as it's been a bit busy with the impending wedding this weekend.
Gig-Em2003
AG
I played Squire Creek, near Ruston, LA, a week or so ago. It's a 2002 Fazio design, rated #1 in Louisiana by Golf Digest. It was in immaculate shape, although we had some bad luck and played two days after they aerated and sanded the greens. Other than that, it was perfect. Highly recommend.

www.squirecreek.com

Haven't played in the Houston area in several weeks, though.
Techsan_02
Don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever....even consider playing Green Meadows out in Katy. I rate it as a 0 in any and all categories.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Green Meadows is just so small; you feel like your on-top of the groups around you. I used to play out there when I was home during the summers from school.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Any good summer green fee specials going on right now?

Agman
AG
Playing Whispering Pines Friday and Saturday...wish me luck.
Gig-Em2003
AG
So Agman, how was it?
Agman
AG
Ugh, I had a whole long post typed up and the pc ate it.

Overall the whole experience was excellent. We drove up Friday afternoon and played 18. I played pretty poorly but I'll blame that on playing with two guys who couldn't break 120 on their career day and teh drinking that ensued. The course was in great shape, the best manicured course I've played besides Carlton Woods. I came around a bit on the back nine and carded a 42 (with a stupid Phil-esque double on 18) to give me an 86 for the day (net 82 with the 1/2 stroke per beer handicap). Highlight of the round was a near ace on number 15, it didn't miss backing in by more than an inch or two.

We went back to the "cabin", and I do use that term loosely since it's a 4 bedroom house that's nicer than most homes, and cleaned up for our 9pm dinner. Good steak, good wine...good time. Poker and drinking until about 2am, tee time at 10am. Rained out after 5 holes Saturday morning.

Final grades:
Layout A+
Condition A+
Resort Facilities A+
Resort Staff A
Forecaddies D (they basically just hung out with us and pointed in the direction they though our ball went)
Weather C- (at least we got to play 18 Friday in the shade)

WP immediately goes down on the "Don't Miss" no matter what courses list.

Agman's Personal Rankings
1 - TPC at Sawgrass
2 - Whispering Pines
3 - Carlton Woods
4 - Kiawah Ocean Course
Ags #1
AG
Has anyone ever played Pine Crest? Is it a pretty good course? What about breek creek? I am trying to play a new course and I don't want the course to be in BFE. I live near the galleria and I am not very good. Therefore I don't like to pay alot of money to play. I usually try and keep the green fees less than $40. I have played creek, southwyck, river pointe, sharpstown, glenbrook, gus wortham. Any suggestions on the courses mentioned above?
rononeill
try battle ground - its really decent to look at, not too expensive, about 30 minutes away, and fun to play...
rononeill
Played herman on saturday - in very good shape - 40/41 with a 3 put on 18 from 6'. frustrating.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Playing Blackhorse North this Saturday. I haven't played the North course yet, but the South is awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.