Houston
Sponsored by

***Houston Golf Thread***

73,621 Views | 1227 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by srob2004
tommyjohn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have the course improved at Blaketree? Great layout but they don't recieve enough traffic to keep the course in good enough shape.
ElCheAg
AG
FYI - Last played Blaketree in July 2008. Timbercreek about 3-4 weeks ago.

Overall maintenance of the course is better at Timbercreek, but the layout and scenery at Blaketree is much better than Timbercreek.

If I had to pick one on any given day, I'd go Blaketree.

Do factor in the drive though. From downtown Tine, Blaketree is much further away than Timbercreek.
Ags #1
AG
We are going with Timbercreek. Less of a drive.
roundaboutway
Has anyone ever got custom-fitted at Golf Galaxy?
Gig-Em2003
AG
I wouldn't get custom fitted unless you are on a real driving range.

Their indoor simulators are horrible. They re-calibrate them in the morning but by the end of the day they are so off the mark from all of the usage.

I went in there one day and hit drivers and never hit anything different than a 200-yard snap hook.
cab59
Would go to timbercreek any day over blaketree. That place is a pos and overpriced for what you get. Never understood why people like it, the maintenance and upkeep is terrible on that course IMO and costs no less than Timber (one of my favs) and isnt a hassle to get to. Id rather not play golf than go to blaketree.
roundaboutway
golferag,

Any recommendations?
Gig-Em2003
AG
Sorry, I don't have any specific recommendations - but maybe a demo day at a local course would be a place to start.
Ezra Brooks
AG
roundabout - what are you getting fit for?

The gang at Matt Swansons School of Golf can fit you for just about anything.
roundaboutway
Irons.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Call Darryl at Swansons - 713-413-4484

He'll be helping me with a set of irons very soon. (hopefully next week)
Ags #1
AG
We played timbercreek on saturday and really enjoyed it. Great course!!
roundaboutway
quote:
Call Darryl at Swansons - 713-413-4484

He'll be helping me with a set of irons very soon. (hopefully next week)

Thanks...will give them a call.

Do you know how the process work because this will be my first time getting custom-fitted for clubs? On the website, it says $100 for the fitting and I'm assuming you have the option to purchase the clubs through them and they'll work with the manufacturer (Ping, Callaway, etc.) to have the clubs built to your specifications. Is that correct?
The D
AG
I thought when you buy new clubs, the fitting is free. At least thats how it was with mine. However, Im standard everything in clubs, so I can play clubs off the rack. Maybe because I am standard, they didnt charge me for the fitting. Im not really sure, but I didnt pay for one.

Also I dont think they build the clubs for you, they just bend them slightly depending on your lie angle. Not 100% sure about that though, but if you are dropping some coin on new clubs, I wouldnt pay for a fitting.

[This message has been edited by The D (edited 12/16/2008 4:13p).]
The D
AG
roundabout- If you are seriously looking at new irons, I would try to go a demo day somewhere on a range. Then you have every manufacturer's rep out there working with you on their clubs specifically. Instead of some d-bag up at golf galaxy on a computer screen.

And Im pretty sure if you buy irons from them they will fit them right there on the spot for you, with no charge. I bought mine at a demo day and dealing with the reps are much knowledgable then guys in a golf store.
Ezra Brooks
AG
The fitting is $100.

If you buy the clubs from them - they'll knock $50 off and apply it to the order.

They'll contact the rep for the manufacturer that you select and put your order in...call you in a week or two when they arrive.

Admittedly, I'm guessing that they order through the manufacturer rep, but I've been in the school building quite a bit when the clubs have arrived and they called people to stop by to pick them up.
roundaboutway
The D,

How can I find out about where and when the demo days are held?
The D
AG
Thats a good question. I have no clue actually. I get emails randomly from Redstone about their demo days. They had one in October. Ive seen commercials about demo days at Wildcat before.

Also there is a store in Beaumont, yes i know thats sort of far, called Games People play. They have a great range and have demo days about every other month with TONS of reps out there. My company has an office in Beaumont, and I go out there every once in a while. That is how I know about this place.

Does anyone know if there is a list of demo days around the Houston area? Ive looked before and cant find one.
David_Puddy
AG
The Deek,

How the hell do you find time to play golf on the weekends with all of your Cowboys obsession/hatred going on?
The D
AG
I will rip you a new one of the golf course chump. You want to play me for some money? Ill let you name the amount.
David_Puddy
AG
I have no doubt about that whatsoever. Golf definitely isn't my strong point. However, I will rip you a new one in any sport that involves having athletic activity or strength.
The D
AG
I bet you are one of those guys that can run a fairly impressive 40 time and/or put up decent bench press numbers. However, when you go out for a pass or try to catch a ball, it hits you in the face because you have no coordination. You are the most athletic looking guy in the room that has no athletic ability at all.
David_Puddy
AG
Whatever you've gotta tell yourself to help you sleep at night. Since you want to challenge me to golf, I offer you the same challenge for any sport that involves athletic ability, such as basketball, that can be played 1 on 1.

Speaking of golfers, there are definitely some outstanding athletes playing that sport...

Anyways, this will be my last post as I do not want to hijack this thread, and can call you out for the dbag that you are on other threads. You can shoot me a PM if you want that challenge.
The D
AG
Im going to buy a new driver for this season, does anyone know when or where the next demo day is in Houston? I got a couple in mind, but want to hit them before to make sure.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Staff- can we sticky this thread at the top? It has over 1,000 replies now.
Gig-Em2003
AG
I recently volunteered to be a Marshall on the 18th Hole at the Shell Houston Open. Should be a good time!
TulaneAg
We played at The Wilderness in Lake Jackson for the first time this weekend and had a good time. My FIL's been wanting us to come down and play as he loves it. Front nine holes kinda got lost on each other, but the back had some memorable holes with some ridiculous greens. What kinda shape is this course in during the summer? Looks like it gets a lot of play...
The D
AG
Has anyone hit the Diamana Whiteboard shaft? I think my spin is a little too high, even though I havent checked it, and this seems to be a great shaft to produce low spin. Its expensive, but for how much golf I play, it will be worth it.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
Im going to buy a new driver for this season, does anyone know when or where the next demo day is in Houston? I got a couple in mind, but want to hit them before to make sure.

Make sure to look at the Adams A4.... I've heard from multiple people that it produces 3 MPH more ball speed than other drivers. I believe it is the retail version of the long drive club that Adams put out last year.
proudaggie02
AG
As for the Whiteboard, I've heard great things. And I am pretty sure that is what Tiger uses.
The D
AG
I'll check out that Adams next time there is a demo day somewhere. I really need to find one because I got the itch to pull a trigger on a new driver, but I need to hit different models first.
The D
AG
According to this http://www.redstonegolfclub.com/golf/calendar/display_calendar.php?state=1&month=5&year=2009

there is one at Redstone in May, but I dont think I can wait that long.
98Ag99Grad
AG
The real Whiteboard shaft (not the one that comes in some drivers) will run you about $300 by itself. What are you currently using- driver/shaft combo? Do you know your swing speed, spin rate, etc? I believe if you goto Wildcat Golf Club, they will fit you for a driver on the range using a launch monitor. I want to say the fitting costs $100 but it may be less.
proudaggie02
AG
D,

In my experience as a long drive guy, it is all about the shaft. You will see the most difference in having the right shaft vs. the right head. I can look at your #s and recommend something (clubhead speed, launch angle, ball speed, ball spin). You can just go to Golfsmith and ask for a printout, or just write down your #s after each swing for 5-10 swings.

I also am connected to a bunch of long drive guys, so I can usually find deals on shafts.... including stiff and x-stiff shafts (not just the xx and xxx shafts that I play). For example, I bought 3 new Accuflex Extreme LD shafts a while back for like $90. They retailed at well over $100 each not too long ago. I also know a couple club makers that can recommend the best couple of shafts based on your launch monitor numbers.

I want to get a couple of new driver heads myself. I'll probably go with a Krank El Diablo, TM Burner, and/or Adams A4. I've replaced my whole bag, minus the driver, since November: Mizuno MP-52s, Odyssey Marxman, TM Z-Groove 54* and 58* wedges, Adams Idea Pro 2 hybrid, Cleveland 3 iron (driving iron), and an Alpha 3 wood. You were right about the Mizunos & Project X shafts. I hit some absolutely money shots during my 1st round with them. Birdied 4 of the last 6 to shoot 71 in a heavy wind at Memorial. I am thinking about putting some Rifle Spinner shafts on my wedges.

Let me know when you want to play.
The D
AG
I currently am hitting the Titleist D2 with UST V2 Shaft X-stiff. But Ive been playing it for 2 years now along with tons of range balls. Its starting to make a different sound than it used to and Im not hitting it as deep as before. It just doesnt have that pop coming off the club head like it used to. I played a round with the new Titleist 909 driver at Redstone and was 30 yards consistently deeper than mine.

I dont know my launch angle or spin rate I have to get that checked, but my swing speed is around 115-120 with a driver. I actually think I might have been around 122 last time I got it checked.

Proud- how are those new irons working out for you? I remember talking to you right before you got them. Ill go up to golfsmith or somewhere soon and get all my stats checked. I'll let you know before I pull the trigger on something.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.