Houston
Sponsored by

***Houston Golf Thread***

73,620 Views | 1227 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by srob2004
Poot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice round on Saturday D. Way to get that game in shape to take cab down.
The D
AG
Is the "match of the century" still going to take place? I havent heard much about it lately from this thread, and just wondering what the deal is?
Poot
I wouldn't be in a hurry to lose money if I was cab either. It's not like he could run right out and play me, he's got this "machine" to calibrate. Will the Iron Byron be ready for Sunday? Just as long as you bring your wallet.

D,

Does he really own an Odyssey chipper? Secondly, does that intimidate you as much as it does me?

Gig-Em2003
AG
Has anyone played Westwood CC? We are playing there this Friday and I'm really looking forward to it.
agsuper1
Westwood is a great track. Excellent design and well conditioned.
HouAggie
AG
Played Westwood about 3 years ago, right after they redesigned it. I remember it being tough to find. Played 27 holes in about 3 1/2 hours, b/c it was so empty. Course was in great shape and quite difficult of the back tees.

I think the initiation is $30-40k, so out of my range for a golf membership.
My Mama Said
To terradactylexpress and others interested in Pine Forest CC,

Please send me a PM or post your email and I will get with you regarding PFCC. Or if you like, contact either Midge or Hillary at 281-463-0900 and tell 'em you read about PFCC on TexAgs.

Club offers change as often as the market does, so posting the current situation just isn't the best thing to do.
agsuper1
35K They offer financing also
ag-gee
Made my first hole-in-one yesterday at Cinco Ranch on #12 while playing in a 4-man scramble. I hit a 9 iron from about 138 and dunked it. I heard clank off the flag stick and the ball disappeared into the hole. It was an incredible feeling.
TulaneAg
Congrats.

I've smashed the edge of the hole for an Ace and an Albatross, but got neither. Patience...
HouAggie
AG
Lipped out for a Condor the other day.
My Mama Said
Awesome!!

I have come within inches a couple of times...someday.

A guy in my Sat AM regular group has 2 aces in the past year, and 3 in the past 5 years. He played for 25+ yeas before he got his first one.

Duffer - you playing twilight @ PFCC tonight? I just talked to Jimmy and signed up. Team Stableford is the format - happy hour to follow.
srob2004
AG
My mama... saw in your profile you work with SAP? me 2... where abouts?
srob2004
AG
Have a 7:30 @ Cypresswood on Thursday... starting the 4th of July holiday early!
Ezra Brooks
AG
Friday - Noon - Redstone/Member course
Sat - 10 am - Bentwater/Miller

Looking forward to the weekend.
TulaneAg
Mama,
Was gonna head out and play 9 with my daughter on Sunday afternoon but by the time we left a brunch downtown, the weather out west looked horrible so we went to the movie instead.

Btw, Wall-E not so great for the parents. I remember when the political message of good cartoons was so subtle, you could still enjoy the cartoon without buying into the message. Those were the days....I guess we're too stupid to pick up the subtle hints anymore so they have to staple it to your forehead...geesh.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
Has anyone played Westwood CC? We are playing there this Friday and I'm really looking forward to it.

I've played there...
Poot
Damn Ezra. Count me in as jealous. Enjoy!
zebco
ezra,
let me know about bentwater cc - miller. i'm playing there in 3 weeks. curious about the course. i've heard its pretty tough
Ezra Brooks
AG
Have never played Bentwater and have played Redstone/Member once (and once when it was El Dorado).

.I'm thinking about doing a special "2-Day Anti-Rain Dance" to ensure we get both rounds played.

I've played 1 1/2 rounds this year when I'm used to playing 20, so needless to say, I'm stoked
bilbobag
The members course at Redstone is good shape. Shot a 40 on the front and had to quit due to a passing storm. Playing better than it did this time last year. The repairs on the tournament course at Redstone are almost done and it should re-open soon. I thought the grand pines course was harder than the Bentwater course.
Poot
doc,

Isn't the Grand Pines course ultra exclusive? I accidentally rolled into the parking lot on a day that they were closed for maintenance (a Monday maybe?). The course looked like it was in fantastic condition. The only course I've ever played at Bentwater was the original Weiskopf (sp?). I thought it was a nice course, but nothing to write home about.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Grand Pines is not included in regular Bentwater membership. I'm not sure what the incremental cost is to join Grand Pines, but I bet it's pretty hefty. I've actually never heard an opinion on the course. Has anyone played it?

[This message has been edited by golferag2003 (edited 7/1/2008 4:52p).]
Ezra Brooks
AG
I understand that Grand Pines memberships were offered to lot owners in Grand Pines and that general Bentwater members were able to buy in at a price that was only described as "rediculous"...and a Bentwater membership itself isn't exactly chump change.
My Mama Said
Not sure what "ridiculous" is at Grand Pines, but initiation @ Carlton Woods is now up to $135k. That's non-equity, meaning if you mvoe away a month after paying $135k, you're SOL on getting any of it back.

Does $135k for a CC membership qualify as ridiculous?
Ezra Brooks
AG
It does to me - but not to my buddy's FIL that joined up there a couple of months back.

If you got it - spend it.
HouAggie
AG
I played Grand Pines about a month ago. Course was in great shape, as expected, and I really enjoyed the layout. Clubhouse was pretty small and uninspiring. I rank it ahead of the Carlton Woods Nicklaus course, but behind the CW Fazio course, for reference.

They were grilling scallop and shrimp kabobs on a couple of the holes for the tournament I was playing. That's a first for me on a golf course.
My Mama Said
My golfing dreams are to get my handicap down below 3, join Carlton Wood$$$, an equivalent posh club in a cooler summer spot, and play good golf for the next 45 years. Is that too much to ask of the golfing gods?
srob2004
AG
Mama,
guess you missed the above, but I saw you work in SAP? where at and what modules?

I did FI @ HP and now do FI/MM/SD @ Paymetric.
My Mama Said
I saw the earlier post, but this is a golf thread. I will say this: SAP since 1995, but none since Spring 2007 and none in my future. Moved on to bigger/better things in career, profile updated.

Good luck! And to make this post golf related - I missed a 12 foot eagle putt on #1 White at PFCC last Sunday afternoon. About pulled my hair out! Haven't made an eagle in ages...

[This message has been edited by My Mama Said (edited 7/2/2008 8:20p).]
The D
AG
New Titleist driver coming out in the fall. The 909 models. Looks pretty sweet, and definitely looking like a purchase.

Heres the article:
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=15110&select=26404

[This message has been edited by The D (edited 7/3/2008 12:00a).]
98Ag99Grad
AG
Wow. Didn't take Titleist long to get rid of the D2. I'm glad I didn't blow $400 on it last year.
The D
AG
Well I have had it (the D2) since last march, so thats over a year. Ive probably played 50 rounds with it, and this driver doesnt even come out to the fall. I wouldnt say I "blew" my money on the D2. These drivers come out about every year now anyways, so if you keep waiting for the newest driver to come out you aren't going to get one at all.

BTW, my friend saw the D2 yesterday at a pro shop for $200. So it looks like it might be a good time to get the D2 for cheap, now that the new driver is announced.
My Mama Said
I have resigned myself to buying Drivers/fairway metals at the tail end of the lifecycle at serious discounts. Currently playing the TM R7 425, bought it last spring for $212 from TGW.com, or about 50% off the price when it was "in". Also got a R7 steel 4 wood at the same time for $140 (I think). There is definitely a price for getting the latest equipment....

Irons, wedges & putters are a different story, however.
srob2004
AG
Played Cypresswood Cypress this morning... good shape and nice to get off @7:30 and be done @ 11:00. Shot 40/44. Rononeil was suppose to come along but he was "forced" to go play somewhere nicer with a client... what a sell out! :P

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.