Houston
Sponsored by

***Houston Golf Thread***

73,637 Views | 1227 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by srob2004
Gmzb2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texasduffer,

I grew up in Lake Jackson and my parents still live there. Mt dad plays at The Wilderness about 3 times a week and it's not very busy during the week. However, the weekend is crowded when the Houston crowds come down. As far as the condition in the summer, it's probably one of the best maintained municipal courses I've ever played. It's always been in great shape when I've been out there, regardless of season.
proudaggie02
AG
D,

The irons are great. I've only played two rounds with them, both of which were under par. They changed my perspective from trying to bomb it every hole and stick a wedge.... to feeling like I can get at any pin with a 7-iron or less. It is also nice to have a full set f irons after playing the last 6-8 years without a PW, 9, 7, or 3 iron.

Feels like I am hitting a marshmallow on the short irons, the spin and flight are great.... just awesome clubs.
TulaneAg
re: The Wilderness

On some of the holes with the major humps in the green, they've limited themselves to very few pin placement options. You could see there were 20 old hole locations in two 20'x20' areas where the other 80% of the green was untouched because the slopes were so radical you couldn't cut a hole there. That kinda design doesn't lend itself well to a lot of traffic. I just thought it was weird on a hi-traffic muni/daily fee.
98Ag99Grad
AG
FYI- demo day coming to Wildcat on March 28.
The D
AG
Thank you for the heads up.
Earp16
AG
Just bought a Maxfli Black Max complete set. I've only been playing 3-4 times a year, but plan on playing more often. I hit them well in the store and can't wait to take them to the range on Friday.
A&M Chopper
AG
Forgive me if this has been discussed before...I haven't kept up with this thread. Anyway I made a trip up to Dallas this past weekend and hit up Top Golf. I really enjoyed it. Just wondering if anyone has heard rumors of one opening in Houston?
98Ag99Grad
AG
I heard a rumor of one coming to Sugar Land but not sure of a date.
proudaggie02
AG
I went to to the Wildcat demo day in October. It was 10 bucks, and it included free beer.
The D
AG
Top golf is undoubtedly the greatest place in the world. I could spend every day at that place, although I dont like to hit off mats really.

I heard something about someone buying rights to build the one in Houston, but that was about all.
Gig-Em2003
AG
When I was at Top Golf a few weeks ago one of the workers said they were next going to the west coast before going to Houston. So I don't know which rumor is true.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Anyone have any information on Willowisp or Riverbend CC in Sugar Land, specifically what it costs to be a member at either place? Is one better than the other? Thanks
Ezra Brooks
AG
I belive Willowisp is gone - has been for about 2 years now.

I think there is a member or two at Riverbend that post here.
Gig-Em2003
AG
I'm a member at Riverbend. Joined last summer.

The course is currently under renovation until June - it closed the first week in February. We've got privileges at Braeburn and other courses around town until Riverbend reopens.

Somewhere on this thread I posted their membership rate - probably last July.

I don't know what it is currently. When I signed up they gave me some incentives since the course was closing this spring.

I really enjoy the course though! It's one of the toughest I've played in Houston. It's in great shape and they take good care of it. They also continue to renovate facilities and the men's locker room is outstanding right now.

I think it's definitely better than Sugar Creek, and although the facilities aren't as good as Sweetwater's, the course is better than SW's two 18's.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Well, that explains why I couldn't find any info on Willowisp I guess. I'll give them a call and see if they're running the same deal as this past summer. Thanks.
The D
AG
*****Bumping this for Demo Day at wildcat, this weekend, march 28.
HouAggie
AG
Played Wildcat for the first time on Friday. Lakes course. I enjoyed it, but will be nicer the second time when I'm a little more informed. Example...stood up on the 10th tee and hit what I think is a nice drive up the middle. Get up there and there's a tiny water hole hiding in front of the green that swallowed my ball!

Which course is considered the nicer/better one out there?
Ezra Brooks
AG
I'll be there on Sat. - plan to order a Ping Redwood Anser.

I think both courses are equally nice - but in my opinion, the Highlands is a bit harder, more holes play straight up/down wind with only a few across....the Lakes has a few more across and less hidden trouble.
rononeill
As far as Wildcat preferences go, I'd say the Highlands - but given an option, Memorial - no question.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Playing a little scramble this Friday out at Longwood for the first time. Anyone have any tips for that course?
Ezra Brooks
AG
take your mudders - supposed to rain this week.
The D
AG
I score way better on Lakes, but the only time I played highlands there was about a 30mph north wind, making the longer/tougher holes play into the wind. It was a rough day.

Highlands is a course you have to play before you can shoot well out there. There are tons of blind shots so you really cant tell where to aim.
Poot
The day The D is talking about was ridiculous. The highlands played to a par 80 that day. I hit a driver from 220 on a par 3. The other time I played it was with a South wind and an up pin and I hit a 5 iron. Interesting to say the least.

As far as Wildcat goes and which course is better, I'm pretty sure in their opinion The Lakes is their premier course. I guess I prefer it, but they're both pretty good. Neither are awesome, but in general the only reason it is priced as such IMO is location. Memorial is the jewel of near town public golf.
jpb222
Wildcat is the most overrated course in the city of Houston. There is no reason it should be $80 to play on the weekends. Yea its always in decent shape but the amount of play out there is to much. I don't think I've been out there to play when there wasn't a tournament on both courses. I really don't like the layout either but if I had to choose between which course to play it would have to be the highlands. Just my thoughts
The D
AG
Wildcat is only $65 on the weekend if you sign up for GolfQ. I think its worth about $65, IMO. The greens normally roll good, and the course is in good, but not great, shape. I dont really have any problem against Wildcat, and its close to downtown compared to most courses.

Ezra Brooks
AG
Their "rack rate" for the weekend is $75 - but as The D said, you can find coupons for less...hell on their website you can get $64 weekend coupons.

It's regularly in as good/better shape than 75% of Houston courses.

Also - they advertise more than just about any other course.
Westicles
AG
I played Meadowbrook Farms on Friday and feel the need to be like The D and Co. and do a little boasting.

My hacker golf game and poor golf etiquette allowed me to shoot even through 6. I then proceeded to get too full of myself on the par 5 7th and managed to squeak out a triple bogey. I had to pull a pretty sick chip out of my ass from 10 feet below the hole on the right side on the par 3 8th to even save a bogey and then pared the 9th to finish with a +4 on the front. I then came back to reality and played my typical bogey golf game with a few pars and doubles thrown in on the back to finish with an 86, my best round to date.

That course was effing awesome though. Most of the greens were in awesome condition and the fairways were just as good. I'd have to rank it above Blackhorse (I've only played the south course though) but well below Redstone Members Course which is by far my favorite Houston golf experience so far.
srob2004
AG
I have to stand up for Blaketree from a couple of posts back... I think it's a fun course to play. (probably because I play it with my family every x-mas break). They could do more, but I think it fits in with the more laid back atmosphere of that area. (most of my wife's extended family is from around there) To me the laid back, easy going nature is nice. It's not on the same level with the nicer courses in the houston area but I don't know if that's their intention(if it is, they are failing badly :\ )
98Ag99Grad
AG
Shot 87 at Bay Forest on Saturday. Must work on putting!!
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
My hacker golf game and poor golf etiquette allowed me to shoot even through 6.
Great start. The first 4 holes seem pretty demanding to me. I love the back nine.
Westicles
AG
This was from the one up tees btw, which put those first 3 holes right at 400 yards a piece if I remember correctly. I have gotten where I can't consistently hit my driver straight at all but can generally control my 3 wood well enough so I've just been using that until I can work out the kinks with my driver. I can hit the 3 wood about 250-280 depending, so that was leaving me with an 8 iron or less to the green. I can usually hit decently consistent with my 8 iron and shorter, sometimes my 7 but anything longer than that and things get really shaky, really quick.

I still missed the green on 1, but chipped from in front of the green to within 6 inches of the hole. On 2, I went OB on my approach, but dropped and once again pulled another chip out within about 12-18 inches to pull out the bogey. I then birdied the par 3 6th I believe to get me back to even, and even missed a 4 or 5 foot birdie putt on 4 (par 5) like a doofus. My trusty little lob wedge was a life saver on Friday for sure.

[This message has been edited by Westicles (edited 4/6/2009 7:24p).]
Poot
Wes,

Meadowbrook is a strong course indeed. I've always had a really good time out there. It's always been in really nice shape and I enjoy almost every hole on that complex. I definitely prefer the layout to Black Horse North for sure and just about as much as the South Course.

srob,

I agree. There's nothing wrong with Blaketree. Is the course in the best condition ever? No. But if you live North of the Beltway it's not a bad drive to some really nice terrain, something you can't get in Houston unless you play on top of an old landfill. They have some really nice holes carved through the pines with some really interesting golf shots. As far as public golf up North, Woodforest, High Meadow Ranch, and Blaketree are my faves.
Olive Bomb
FYI - Ping demo day at Timber Creek April 11th.
texasaggie27
Do y'all know of any relatively priced scramble tournaments coming up in the near future?
TulaneAg
Played the Wilderness today and got eaten up by mosquitoes....we were shocked to say the least.

I dropped a couple 300 yard drives on em but it didn't do me much good with my 37 freakin putts....it hurt...BAD!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.