Houston
Sponsored by

***Houston Golf Thread***

73,636 Views | 1227 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by srob2004
Gig-Em2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1208-
So what's up with Greatwood - can you expand more? I haven't played it since New Year's Day, so it was in winter condition. Is it not in good shape right now?

Rockin-
It's interesting to see your ratings since most of those courses are on the NE or East side of town and I'm in Sugar Land. Looks like there's several that would be worth the hike.
rockinerik
Umm maybe.

Kingwood CC is a good play. Windrose is one of the best kept courses and i really enjoyed it, but is pretty far from you.

Battleground is a good buy and a 3.5 star course just kind of like Eagle Point...they are within a decent drive of you. The only problem with Eagle Pointe is the layout. number 16 is the strangest hole i have ever played.

But my all time favorite is lake houston b/c i played there in high school, etc and it is $25 all of the time - dont plan on hitting balls b/c that range is rough.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'll be at Bay Forest this weekend in La Porte. I'll let you know where it falls in the rankings.
1208HawkTree
AG
Golfer - Greens are more Poa Annua than Bermuda lately (= bumpy and ugly). Range is almost always on the mats and the balls are already in bad shape. Been playing River Pointe more and more. Really fun course and cheap. You wanna go to the Shell with us Tuesday? Email me and I'll get you the details.

98 - Bay Forest is a decent course. Another good one in that area is Evergreen Point, but there are gators out there, so be careful when looking for balls along any water. I see one almost everytime I play there.

[This message has been edited by 1208HawkTree (edited 4/13/2006 11:43p).]
Gig-Em2003
AG
I'm done with the Greatwood driving range. $12 for 100 balls is too much. Training Station is much cheaper and the driving range is nicer. The short game area is not that great there, so I just go Greatwood or River Pointe for short game work.

I can't do the Shell on Tuesday - thanks for the invite.

We are at River Pointe tomorrow morning - looking forward to playing this track.
1208HawkTree
AG
Rockin...I agree 100% on #16 at Eagle Pointe. They were smoking something when they came up with that one. I heard some discussion awhile back that they were going to move the tees back and make it a par 5. I think it would be a great par 5 with another 75-100 yards added. It plays like a par 5 anyway with the forced layup off the tee (I played it 4 iron, 2 iron more times than I care to recall). They also conisdered making it the 18th hole, too. # 17 would be the new 10, 18 would be 11, and you'd pick up on the current #10 (new 12th) and finish on current #16. They have plenty of room behind that tee, so I don't see why it isn't done. They did make #10 a par 4 and also lengthened #9 to around 600 yards.

Golfer...I think you'll like it. Front 9 is pretty open but has a TON of water and the back 9 is more wooded and a lot of fun. You kinda have to play the front a time or two to really get an idea of where not to hit it because there are a couple of spots that you can't see the water from the tee or it looks closer/further away than it is. On hole 7 - its around 260 to the water on the left from the tips. Stay down the left side - trust me. Greens are pretty good for the price and can get pretty fast downhill. I missed an uphill putt on one hole that came to a stop, then roll backward about 6 inches and go in. Never seen it before or since.

[This message has been edited by 1208HawkTree (edited 4/14/2006 10:03a).]
Gig-Em2003
AG
You going to be at your house this afternoon 1208?
1208HawkTree
AG
I work at 2 today so I'll only be here for another hour or so.
Gig-Em2003
AG
i'll be around tonight and this weekend - shoot me an email if you're around

[This message has been edited by golferag2003 (edited 4/14/2006 6:55p).]
1208HawkTree
AG
You looking to re-shaft or just re-grip? If you want to reshaft, I don't have any iron ferrules right now. You can get some at Golfsmith for around $3-4 a dozen. Just tell them what clubs you have and they'll let you know what you need. I'm pretty sure Mizunos are .355 taper tip, but not 100% sure.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Just got back from Bay Forest. Fairways and greens are in pretty good shape but it's dry out there. Had some tight lies in the fairways too. Very windy today!! I'll go with **1/2 for a rating. Not bad for the area.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Looking to re-grip my putter and fairway wedge.

River Pointe was a good track. For $35, it's definitely worth it. I thought the layout was great and there were some good looking holes. There was a 20 mph wind so those southbound holes were definitely bears. They need to put some money into conditioning, but I understand they are under new management. Maybe another year and it will be in better shape.

I give it **1/2, with tons of potential.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Keeping this near the top.

Have decided to play Wildcat - Highlands on Sat. in lieu of going to the SHO.
Texas Aggie '99
AG
Ezra - you'll regret the day you did that.

I hate that damn course.
Sugar_Land_Wes
AG
Ezra - if you find TA 99's ring at Wildcat in a bunker, let him know...
Texas Aggie '99
AG
Fortunately, some jackhole picked it up and had the common courtesy to turn it in.

That guy was such a loser. Wish I could remember his name...
Ezra Brooks
AG
It's my home course - I'm there lots.
1208HawkTree
AG
Golfer...Same company that now owns Greatwood. The back 9 has some really good looking holes, #13 being my favorite (last one heading north). Just a pretty hole from the tee. May be playing there early Sunday. Wanna join us? Nothing concrete yet, but if I play it will be there.

You gripped your clubs, yet? If not, call me tomorrow and maybe you can come by for and get them done. The biggest problem is that we have to start before the little one goes to bed around 6:30-7 because the dog goes ape$h1+ when someone comes to the house. I should be home by 5 or so. Call my cell phone if you want to stop by.

R

[This message has been edited by 1208HawkTree (edited 4/19/2006 10:11p).]
98Ag99Grad
AG
Played Clear Creek this Saturday (off BW8 near Pearland). Course is in good shape. Fairways very good. Greens were nice but very slow. Green fee and 1/2 cart was $37. Carts have GPS, which I had never used before. Kinda cool. Overall, I'd give it **1/2; if greens weren't so slow it would have been ***.

[This message has been edited by 98Ag99Grad (edited 4/24/2006 1:50p).]
Gig-Em2003
AG
Anyone played Panther Trail in the Woodlands? Playing there next week.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Haven't heard of that one golfer. Is it public?
Gig-Em2003
AG
It's one of the two courses at The Woodlands Resort.
yoshi
ya i was a woodlands golfer. its a redo of the old north course. when its in good shape its a good course. some places are a bit tight. check out the green on number 3 too, its got a massive slope, so check the pin on your approach.
rockinerik
Friday the 28th

I am going to be playing 9 holes early somewhere around houston if anyone wants to play.

Suggestions on where are welcome.

I am thinking about memorial park.
Ezra Brooks
AG
If you don't have a time at Memorial by now, you won't be waling on.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'll be at Riverointe on Sunday. It's gotten favorable reviews on here so my dad and I are gonna give it a shot.
Sugar_Land_Wes
AG
I'll be heading to Houston National for the first time Sunday; havent heard anyones opinion of it on here.

I'll post my thoughts on Monday.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Enjoyed Riverpointe. Like some previous posters said, has lots of potential. Got in trouble in some holes on the front 9 by not knowing where water came into play. Worth the $35. **1/2
Gig-Em2003
AG
The Panther course at Woodlands Resort was in awesome shape. I loved the layout; varied Par 4's, the right amount of water, 7,000+ yards from the tips.

It's $65 on the weekend on GolfQ - a bargain in my opinion.

Techsan_02
What about Tour 18, is that a fun course?
Agman
AG
I'll echo the River Pointe comments, good bang for the buck esp the back nine.

Was thinking of hitting balls at Greatwood today and noticed they are on the mats...no thanks.

Carlton Woods is the nicest kept course I've ever played on...including Sawgrass and Kiawah.
David_Puddy
AG
quote:
I'll be heading to Houston National for the first time Sunday; havent heard anyones opinion of it on here.

You'd better hope it's not windy, otherwise it's brutal to play on. If it's not windy, it's a pretty decent track...there are quite a few bunkers though. Keep in mind, however, that I'm not very good.

Feels like an Arbys night.
ElCheAg
AG
Is Evergreen Point (Baytown, TX) worth the drive from Houston? What rating would you all give it?

I've played Bay Forest before and would agree with the **1/2 rating. Is Evergreen Point much better than Bay Forest?
Ag83
AG
I haven't played Evergreen Point in a while but I'd rate it a little higher than Bay Forest. Not sure where from Houston you're talking about coming from, but it is probably my second favorite course on this side of town (behind Timber Creek). I did hear that EP did lose a few trees to Rita but not sure exactly how many or what the overall impact to the course was. I do want to go play it again pretty soon.
ElCheAg
AG
I'm about 40 miles away from Baytown, TX.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.