Houston
Sponsored by

***Houston Golf Thread***

73,445 Views | 1227 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by srob2004
Gig-Em2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought it would be good to have a dedicated golf thread now that it's spring and everyone's hitting the links more often. Post your course review, stories, whatever.

Whispering Pines 3/17/06

#1 in Texas according to the DMN (Carlton Woods #2, Colonial #3). Ultra-private, I believe the membership count is now around 120. Impeccable service and an unmatched setting. Highly secluded. We played on one of their busiest days, and we were one of 10 groups for the entire day. We never saw another group during our entire round. The course is only open 6 months of the year: March - June, Sept - Nov. One caddie required per group. A "Nicklaus" design (he gave Corby Roberson some help). Second to Pinehurst #2 in courses I have played. If you ever get the chance to play this track, DO NOT PASS IT UP. It's worth the drive all the way to Trinity.

Played 27 holes:
40 - front nine
38 - back nine
39 - back nine

Tradition - Cypresswood 3/26/06

Fairways in terrific shape. Greens cut short but a little dry - the recent rain probably cured them for a while. This is one of my favorite courses up North, definitely a great modern track. $50 during the week and $65 on the weekends.

40 + 44 = 84 with two triples and two doubles

Cypress - Cypresswood 3/30/06

Greens in good shape. Tight but not unfair. Can't hang with it's big brother, Tradition, but this is still a good course for the price. $35 during the week and $45 on the weekend.

4-man scramble = 63 gross

Mizuno MP-32's

I've had my eye on them for a while. I won some MX-23s last fall and finally got around to trading them in for the MP-32s. I've demo-ed them and may take them out to River Point or Greatwood for the inaugural round this weekend. I'm looking to improve my ballstriking and I figure blades are the way to go!

[This message has been edited by golferag2003 (edited 3/31/2006 9:30a).]
Yao
The Men's Club

Great place for a round of beer. . . I mean golf. Fairways have nice "undulations". The "greens" are nicely manicured. Great place to "score". $20 a round.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Hadn't heard of Whispering Pines - but checked out its website - WOW!

I need to find someone to get me on this place - or hit the lottery to make a contribution to one of the organizations that gets you the rights to the joint - $5K for 12 rounds.

[This message has been edited by Ezra Brooks (edited 3/31/2006 8:33a).]
Joan Wilder
AG
Where are some good driving ranges? I live close to downtown and need to go practice - we're having an offsite in a few months and I'm terrible. I need to move up to 'novice' to at least not embarrass myself.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Inside the Beltway there are ranges at Memorial Park and Wildcat.

There is also one just outside the Beltway at RIchmond and Old Westheimer.

I can't remember if Hermann has one, that would also be close.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
Just as a warning, the Memorial Park driving range requires you to hit off of mats. If you would rather hit off of the ground, go somewhere else.
proudaggie02
AG
Meadowbrook Farms in Katy runs specials fairly often. I believe their weekday super twilight is $30 (starts at 2:00 as of 2 weeks ago; maybe 3:00 now). It was $40 today at 2:00. Very nice course, designed by Norman, fairly difficult, and greens are tough to figure out. I have played it twice now and haven't broken 75 (it does no good to hit in inside 12 feet 70% of the time if you can't make anything). It is definitely worth playing though.

[This message has been edited by proudaggie02 (edited 4/2/2006 7:17p).]
aggivedave16
Can someone recommend a shop or course that will give me some lessons at a reasonable price (Sugar Land area)? Many thanks...
srob2004
AG
I don't know for sugarland, but for NW houston, Jimmy , the pro @ Gleannloch Farms, does hour lessons for 50-60, which is pretty cheap around here. Also they had a special going, buy 4 get 1 free. (just fyi for those in NW houston) He's pretty good too... I've taken 3 from him and have 1 more in the next month.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Sienna Plantation has a pretty good pro - he teaches Ryan Palmer, former A&M golfer and PGA Tour winner.
nkc1981
AG
Anybody play Jersey Meadow? My company's supposed to have a tournament there sometime coming up and want to know if its worth driving to Houston for and 45 bucks...
nkc1981
AG
quote:
#1 in Texas according to the DMN (Carlton Woods #2, Colonial #3

If its ranked ahead of Carlton Woods it must be damn nice. My uncle's a member there (its in the Woodlands, opened up a few years ago) and its awesome. I think its 1 of 2 clubs in the world that has courses designed by both Nicklaus and Fazio. I've only played there once (guest fee is $95 on weekends, dont know about weekday), but play it if you get the chance. Wouldn't be surprised if before too long a PGA tour event is landed there. Its already hosted some US Open qualifiers and amatuer championships I believe.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Jersey Meadows is a little nicer than Hermann. It's about on par with Sharpstown. Nothing special.
Gig-Em2003
AG
I wish I had pictures of Whispering Pines. The website is not very good.

I have not played Carlton Woods, but part of the aura of Whispering Pines is the ultra-private, secluded feel. There is NOTHING within 10 miles of the course, except Lake Livingston. There's only one road in and out.

Also, Whispering Pines hosted the 2005 Men's Big 12 Championship.

[This message has been edited by golferag2003 (edited 4/3/2006 2:44p).]
Techsan_02
Masters Course at Bear Creek. Muni course feel, greens were in horrible shape. Crowded. Not worth the $50.
Gig-Em2003
AG
What's sad is that Masters is the "best" of the three Bear Creek tracks.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
Wouldn't be surprised if before too long a PGA tour event is landed there. Its already hosted some US Open qualifiers and amatuer championships I believe.

Not likely since the Redstone Group has a lot of money tied up in this new course - I think they have a 10+ year agreement to host there.

Maybe Carlton Woods can pick up a LPGA event.

The Nationwide Tour will begin hosting the Nationwide Tour Championship at Shadowhawk either this year or next.
eus6267
deleted

[This message has been edited by eus6267 (edited 4/3/2006 3:51p).]

[This message has been edited by eus6267 (edited 4/3/2006 3:53p).]
Dre_00
quote:
I can't remember if Hermann has one, that would also be close.

It does.
Techsan_02
Gleannloch Farms??? Anyone played this course?
srob2004
AG
yeah, as I said , I take from the pro @ Gleannloch and I live in the subdivision.

Gleannloch is 3 9's, the Gleann, the Loch, and the Paddock. Gleann and Paddock are par 36, Loch is par 35, I believe. I have played there about 4 times. It's kept in good shape and the fee is a little higher than most in the area(70 for non-resident on the weekend). It has some tough holes(couple 600+ yard par 5s) and some easy ones as well, so a good mix. I like the paddock and the gleann the best.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'm taking my new Nike's to the range today. Looking forward to it!
caugustine
Ezra--slight correction to your post about the Nationwide Tour Championship. It will be played at the Houstonian Golf and Country Club. It is on the same site as Shadowhawk, but just a different course.

Ezra Brooks
AG
No prob - I knew it was inside of that fence, and figured Shadowhawk as they've hosted the U.S. Mid-Ameture recently, so I thought Redstone was targeting that as their other tournament course.

Can anyone provide any info on either course?
Gig-Em2003
AG
Shadowhawk's initiation fee is $100K+. Therefore I know nothing about it.
Techsan_02
98Ag99...what kind of Nikes did you get?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Techsan- I settled on the NDS clubs. I tried several brands last week at Golfsmith on Westheimer. I went in with the mindset of buying some Mizuno's or possibly Cleveland's but walked out with the Nike's. They felt great and the ball jumped off the face. Of course, this was indoors hitting into a net but they did feel good. I'll let you know how it goes at the range today.
Techsan_02
Nike makes damn fine golf clubs
Gig-Em2003
AG
Do they? I've always heard the contrary - have they made some recent strides?
Techsan_02
I have all Nike, except for 1 wedge and my putter. I love them, won't be replacing any of them for a long time.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Hit them today for first time at the range at Memorial. Very happy so far with the purchase. The ball was jumping off the club face, just like the demo at Golfsmith. I forgot to mention I got them with graphite shafts. Like I said, it's been one big bucket at the range, but very pleased.

Golferag- I heard the same thing and was kinda leary of Nike. I think when they first broke into the market, their clubs weren't that great. Now, they have about a dozen pros using their equipment, including Ames who just won the Players. I think they realized it was going to take more than just the Nike name to sell their equipment, and they have invested heavily into making good equipment.
1208HawkTree
AG
Shaow Hawk's membership includes George Bush, Roger Clemens, and Andy Pettite (sp?).

Thats about all I have to say about that. Never played there, but supposedly has among the best conditions anywhere in town.

The Houstonian was originally a resort course (ie - wide fairways, playable for most people, but can be tough with the correct setup), where guests at The Houstonian Resort near the Galleria could play, as well as those who joined the country club outright. Now it is strictly a private CC, and a nice one at that. Rees Jones design that, unless they have some wind, concrete-likke greens, and ankle deep rough, the Nationwide guys will eat that place alive.

Houstonian is not as exclusive as Shadow Hawk, but its still $30k or more to get in the door.

GolferAg2003...When are we going to get out and play? I now have my "workshop" mostly setup. I have the necessary tools to do grips, reshafts (except removing graphite shafts - don't have a puller yet), swingweights, etc. Feel free to give me a shout if you want to do any work on your sticks. I've heard good things about the 32's. Played Fish Creek yesterday. Shot a million, but the course is a lot of fun. New shafts in the driver and 3wood, so I never quite felt comfortable over any shot with them all day.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
I wish I had pictures of Whispering Pines. The website is not very good.

Here ya go..... Courtesy of BombSquadGolf.com and Stewart Bannatyne - member of the Sam Houston State Golf Team. Keep in mind, these were taken in the middle of winter, so you can imagine what kind of shape it must be in when everything's green. He also has a post of a series of another course I'll probably never set foot on - River Oaks CC. I'll see if I can get some of those on here.

[This message has been edited by 1208HawkTree (edited 4/5/2006 11:16p).]
1208HawkTree
AG
River Oaks CC up close and personal. Amazing that this course is right in the middle of the 4th largest city in the nation.

Only Donald Ross design in the area (more recently renovated by Rees Jones).

FTAco07
AG
I caddied for my old man during qualifying for the US Senior open at River Oaks. That course along with Crown Colony are the two nicest i've been on in Texas. I was amazed at how hilly River Oaks was and I was dead tired after carrying the big bag for 18 holes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.