Houston
Sponsored by

Outage suicide pool.

55,944 Views | 596 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LPHA
MyMamaSaid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So while everyone is going after the management team, let's look at the "independent" directors who have hired the management team:

https://www.centerpointenergy.com/en-us/corporate/about-us/leadership/meet-the-board-of-directors

Lawyer after lawyer, and Accenture. What on Earth could ever go wrong?
TXTransplant
So, I got curious…

Now I know most of these companies are not nearly as big as Centerpoint (Southern Company is probably the closest comparison, but they also generate power, in addition to distributing it). But I still thought the info is interesting.

CEO Alabama Power - BS chemistry and biological sciences; started as a lab tech with the company 35 years ago
CEO Mississippi Power - started with the company in 1984 as a co-op student, BS electrical eng (EE)
CEO Georgia Power - 33 years with Southern Company (the parent to GA, AL, and MS power), BS in engineering science and mechanics, MS in biomedical engineering
CEO Southern Company - been with the company since 1988, can't find what his BS is in, but I'll give him a pass since all the subs have technically strong leadership
CEO Entergy - 25 years with Entergy, BS mechanical eng
CEO TVA - BS mechanical eng

Southern Company and its subs also hire "locals". The CEO of MS Power is from MS, CEO of AL Power is from AL.

Florida is a little weird - they don't seem to have any technical people at the highest exec level. They do have some engineers as VPs (not listed here)
CEO NextEra Energy/Chairman Florida Power and Light - JD, BS economics
CEO Florida P&L - BS accounting
CEO NextEra Energy Resources - BS Public Policy
NextEra Energy Chief Risk officer - BS accounting (this one is a head scratcher)
94chem
I guess "restoration date pending review" means after the very last date listed, we'll start thinking about this neighborhood?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Yesterday
AG
Anyone have an idea when this area of stafford might get power? Grandpa still running on backup generators. I have no idea about any of this so sorry if this is a simple answer.
dBoy99
AG
94chem said:

I guess "restoration date pending review" means after the very last date listed, we'll start thinking about this neighborhood?
Both my small business (77092) & home (77042) fall into this category.

I am part of the problem and you're the victim...
07ag
AG
https://ts.la/eric59704
combat wombat™
AG
I'm a CPA with a bachelor in accounting. This guy should maybe be CFO… not CEO.
texasaggie2015
AG
94chem said:

Unreal. This has been a week of hell.
ChrisHansen
AG
How soon until this ****face starts crying about death threats?
TXTransplant
ChrisHansen said:

He already has a personal driver, access to a charter plane, and security detail as part of his comp package.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/centerpoint-energy-ceo-jason-wells-beryl-19565022.php
combat wombat™
AG
ChrisHansen said:

Not soon enough?!
94chem
ChrisHansen said:

No doubt in his luxury box at the Astros game tonight, in his $200 Tommy Bahama H-Town shirt.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
BSD
AG
07ag said:

I'm not saying that the thermostat wasn't set to 79, but that looks photoshopped as hell.

Edit: meant to say 70. Was typing too fast
CDUB98
AG
dBoy99 said:

94chem said:

Both my small business (77092) & home (77042) fall into this category.

Our house is in this infinite time scale as well.
94chem
BSD said:

07ag said:

I'm not saying that the thermostat wasn't set to 79, but that looks photoshopped as hell.

I thought that picture was on the Chronicle website, and who sets their business temp to 79? That's a temp for sleeping naked, not working in an office.
94chem,
dBoy99
AG
We have a down wire in my neighbors back yard. It snapped off the insulator.

A technician finally showed up today to "assess" the issue. My neighbor asked him when it'd be fixed, his response: "My assessment will now go to engineering for a plan of action."

W
AG
fair to wonder when these extra 12,000 workers have to go back home
BSD
AG
I meant to say 70. My bad. I couldn't see the temp on the chronicle picture. It was too blurry.
combat wombat™
AG
Just about my whole neighborhood has power now. We are one of the lucky few experiencing a "nested" outage. There's a tree on a line on my street affecting about 85 homes. No idea when they will fix it. Our power was estimated by Centerpoint to be on by the end of the day today.

Bad time for Generac to be malfunctioning.
Boiling Denim
Meyerland area "restoration date pending review" update broke my last sliver of hope we'd get power this weekend. Shifting mindset to long-term generator living
jh0400
AG
TXTransplant said:

So, I got curious…

Now I know most of these companies are not nearly as big as Centerpoint (Southern Company is probably the closest comparison, but they also generate power, in addition to distributing it). But I still thought the info is interesting.

CEO Alabama Power - BS chemistry and biological sciences; started as a lab tech with the company 35 years ago
CEO Mississippi Power - started with the company in 1984 as a co-op student, BS electrical eng (EE)
CEO Georgia Power - 33 years with Southern Company (the parent to GA, AL, and MS power), BS in engineering science and mechanics, MS in biomedical engineering
CEO Southern Company - been with the company since 1988, can't find what his BS is in, but I'll give him a pass since all the subs have technically strong leadership
CEO Entergy - 25 years with Entergy, BS mechanical eng
CEO TVA - BS mechanical eng

Southern Company and its subs also hire "locals". The CEO of MS Power is from MS, CEO of AL Power is from AL.

Florida is a little weird - they don't seem to have any technical people at the highest exec level. They do have some engineers as VPs (not listed here)
CEO NextEra Energy/Chairman Florida Power and Light - JD, BS economics
CEO Florida P&L - BS accounting
CEO NextEra Energy Resources - BS Public Policy
NextEra Energy Chief Risk officer - BS accounting (this one is a head scratcher)

At CenterPoint, the CEO has more accounting experience than the CFO. The CFO has a degree in Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy and worked in Investor Relations before taking the CFO job at PG&E. That's a ****ing head scratcher unless he took the Kamala Harris path to prominence.
TXTransplant
Just got this update. It might've helpful to areas that are adjacent to Creekside Park but not in The Township.

ATTENTION CREEKSIDE PARK

CenterPoint is onsite restoring power in our community. They've identified the problems and are working in full force to restore power. CenterPoint has provided the following information to the Township.

For the areas east of Kuykendahl and north of Creekside Green to Lake Paloma, then following Lake Paloma to Creekside Forest, the majority of customers should have power restored by 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 13. Remaining customers requiring localized repairs expected to have power by 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 14.

For the areas south of Creekside Green between Kuykendahl and Gosling, the majority of customers should have power restored by 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 14, with remaining customers requiring localized repairs expected to have power by 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 14.

Please note that these timelines are estimates and weather-dependent.

The Township Board and staff will continue to stay in communication with CenterPoint throughout the weekend, providing additional updates as available. All updates will be posted to www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/alertcenter. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
combat wombat™
AG
Still waiting on 77355.

We figured out our 32kw Generac runs okay if we don't have a/c on. I just HAD to run it or risk losing three freezers full of food. Not sure how refrigerator contents fared.
dBoy99
AG
Damn! 32kw? How big is your house?

Our 24kw runs everything, including our 2 AC units + electric cooktop & separate oven. We haven't used the dishwasher or laundry though.

Been running nonstop since Monday at 6am. Only stop it for 30-60 minutes every 24 hrs to check/add oil.

BSD
AG
dBoy99 said:

Our 24kw runs everything, including our 2 AC units + electric cooktop & separate oven. We haven't used the dishwasher or laundry though.

Been running nonstop since Monday at 6am. Only stop it for 30-60 minutes every 24 hrs to check/add oil.

We have the same setup as you…24kw. We did laundry yesterday. Just ran the washer and dryer separately, not at the same time. Then we ran the dishwasher overnight. Not sure if it was necessary, but we don't have any ETA on our downed line repair, so we're playing it safe.
dBoy99
AG
Oh, I'm in the same GFY TEAL ZONE.

I'm definitely concerned about it running continuously. It's been off for an hour now, I'm about to check the oil again.

CDUB98
AG
32kW?!

Nice humble brag there.
dBoy99
AG
Holy ****, we have bucket trucks in our hood! It only took 6 days for them to show up.

GEA89
AG
Sienna still down, this is getting past the point of tolerable now...
CDUB98
AG
dBoy99 said:

Holy ****, we have bucket trucks in our hood! It only took 6 days for them to show up.

What hood?
combat wombat™
AG
dBoy99 said:

I would happily trade my 32kw for a functioning 24kw.

Our installer was a freaking moron who barely managed to complete the task. He had to hire two different outside professionals to get it done. In retrospect, I think he sold us a larger generator because he may not have been able to get his hands on a smaller one. At the time, we were happy to have it. We wanted to be able to run everything in the house. It runs much quieter than our neighbor's Generac, which we really like.

We are moving to a house with a pool soon and they are trying to sell us a 48kw. It's practically the same house but with the pool and for some crazy reason the garage has its own ac unit. We also want to put in a well. There's no way. 48kw seems insane. It currently has a 22kw but that seems crazy for a house that size.
dBoy99
AG
Briar Grove Park, inside BW8 & north of Briar Forest.

Trucks are from Wichita KS.

SnowboardAg
AG
Don't worry - they're just there to kill more power to homes due to safety and leave it for the crew that will arrive in another week. False sense of hope.
dBoy99
AG
NM, they moved to far east end of the hood, by the bayou. Setting up there, hopefully they start making progress.

BSD
AG
SnowboardAg said:

Don't worry - they're just there to kill more power to homes due to safety and leave it for the crew that will arrive in another week. False sense of hope.

The neighbor behind me told me that CenterPoint came out on Thursday to look at the downed line and told us it would be fixed Friday or Saturday. I just made my daily call and they told me that there was no ETA at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.