Houston
Sponsored by

Can we get to 500 murders this year?

128,400 Views | 1088 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
Ferris Wheel Allstar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

Get vaccine, have record expunged

Surprised Houston hasn't had one of these, yet. Murder someone? Get a vaccine and we'll lower your bond 50% and delay your trial one year!
WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F***!!!!!
Guitarsoup
AG
htxag09 said:

Get vaccine, have record expunged

Surprised Houston hasn't had one of these, yet. Murder someone? Get a vaccine and we'll lower your bond 50% and delay your trial one year!

What's half of ROR?

Asking for an unqualified democrat judge that rode Beto's coattails
Sea Speed
AG
Wtf will they come up with next
Mr. Lahey
AG
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/10/12/drive-by-shooting-victim-found-in-street-in-spring-branch-officers-say/

Some vigilantes strike back in my hood. I'm sure the da will throw the book at the hero.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
So now HPD is suddenly Johnny-on-the-spot?

I'm going to bite my tongue on this one...
Al Bula
AG
Good news, an action plan addressing the murders and skyrocketing crime is coming today in Sly's state of the city speech.

https://cw39.com/no-wait-weather-traffic/live-report-mayor-sylvester-turners-state-of-the-city-speech/

Just kidding, this crooked charlatan fop is going to address:
- Innovation and technology
- Resilient Houston
- Climate Action Plan
- Complete Communities
- the pandemic

Hope the libs in Houston are sure glad this criminal sh tbird is going to gaslight them into 2022.
TJaggie14
AG
46-year-old woman shot and killed during break-in at N. Harris Co. apartment

Happened around Westfield.
AlaskanAg99
AG
There was some presser today of top law enforcement. I had to bail after first 40 mins, no Lina/Sly, a rep from Boss Ogg's office was there but she was a no show.

Didn't see the end so not sure if there's a plan.

The fact is judges need to get back to work and get the cases under control and start putting people away.
TJaggie14
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

There was some presser today of top law enforcement. I had to bail after first 40 mins, no Lina/Sly, a rep from Boss Ogg's office was there but she was a no show.

Didn't see the end so not sure if there's a plan.

The fact is judges need to get back to work and get the cases under control and start putting people away.
Looks like it was this: https://abc13.com/violent-crime-fbi-houston-police-harris-county-sheriffs-office/11125932/

Quote:

Group accused of killing victim during a stash house robbery

Three men from Houston - Charles Dawson, 42; Damon Randolph, 47; and Kiyon Marshal, 40 - were arrested Thursday accused of shooting and killing a person as they stole money and drugs from what the acting U.S. Attorney described as a "stash house."

They were charged with robbery, conspiracy to distribute narcotics and discharging a firearm resulting in death.

They all face up to life in prison, if convicted.

21-year-old federally indicted in carjacking from 2 years ago

Iveon Gallaspie was indicted by a federal grand jury for an Oct. 16, 2019 carjacking that was originally indicted in state court. Lowery said he had allegedly committed another violent crime as the state was in the process of prosecuting the carjacking.

He faces up to life in federal prison on charges of carjacking and brandishing a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence.

IRS agents investigating identity theft shot at

According to the acting U.S. Attorney, 27-year-old Earnest Taylor, who is banned from possessing a firearm, is accused of opening fire at the agents on Aug. 24. The agents were trying to serve a summons to Taylor for aggravated identity theft.

Taylor, who is charged with illegally possessing the firearm and assault of a federal officer, faces up to 20 years in federal prison.

June robberies of "safe" businesses

Two men also face significant federal prison time for using a firearm during crimes committed at a Subway and a Family Dollar, two places that Lowery said should be safe places.

The men charged are 19-year-old Frederick Crouts and 24-year-old Donvonte Wallace.

They face 20 years for the robbery and an additional minimum of seven years for the firearms charges.

Others charges for firearm possession

Lowery also listed two other men who are facing federal prison, if they're convicted.

Sergio Cabrera, 28, and Jordan Allen, 29, were charged with unlawfully possessing firearms.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Not sure why they needed a presser for this. Other than to quietly admit it's out of control and the judicial system is failing.
rilloaggie
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/crime/article/harris-county-judges-felony-bonds-critics-16532819.php

Looks like Ogg's idea unveiled in the presser post NOLA cop murder inspired the chronical to put their best people on it. Don't blame the judges, DA, or criminals. the problem is those darn bail bondsmen! That's right, the same folks that complain that bail is unfair and thinks that criminals shouldn't be kept in jail at all, and that pushes for PR bonds, are complaining that the private market isn't charging a high enough fee on bonds.
FHKChE07
AG
Someone was complaining about a judge on next-door this week and all the libs came back with this argument of it is the bail bondsman's fault and I couldn't figure out where they had gotten this talking point. It made zero sense. Now I understand.
YellAg2004
AG
Quote:

In Harris County, bail companies rarely pay in full and give the court an equivalent of a provisional IOU with the backing of insurance agencies, said County Court at Law No. 8 Judge Franklin Bynum.

If a defendant skips court, prosecutors can move to revoke or forfeit the defendant's bond. Revocations trigger an arrest warrant and their return to court upon their capture. Forfeitures are a more tedious process that results in the court keeping the bail amount but only after a judge agrees and prosecutors successfully sue to seize the money.
Here's where the whole incestuous relationship is exposed. The bond companies charge low rates because even when their "clients" violate their conditions or no-show for court, the courts just revoke the bond instead of going after it via forfeiture. If the bond companies started getting dinged for the full bond amount, I'm pretty sure they would start charging higher rates or they would quickly go out of business. Either would likely result in more of the trash staying behind bars. But that won't happen because the judges and DA's office want the criminals out on the streets vs. behind bars, so they just take the easy route and revoke the bond, allowing the whole process to start over.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Bingo. The risk has been removed from the bad investments. Like the student loan bubble, when there's no risk to the lender, $250k for an unmarketable degree is no big deal. Instead of subsidizing Lesbian Feminist Dance Therapy at Vasser, we are subsidizing capital murder in Houston.
The story isn't that [DeSantis] "couldn't win" the primary. The story is that an overwhelming majority of our population is heinously stupid. 50% of them vote for communists. 75% of the remaining 50% vote for Trump, who cant win. When the majority of the opposition party insists on voting for an opposition candidate who can't win, you get exactly the government you deserve. - Well Endowed Ag
Diggity
AG
Quote:

While seemingly better for defendants, the lower fees are concerning to lawyers and jurists. Several judges worry that they no longer can count on defendants paying 10 percent for their pretrial release; others feel that even at lower rates, bail is still too much for some.

Authorities believe some defendants have committed more crime to pay bail for themselves and others, according to court records.

Advocates, meanwhile, do not believe any amount of cash bail keeps the public safe, and they feel bail discounts and payment plans show how many defendants primarily poor people of color remain on the hook with private enterprises after securing their freedom.
so bailing out has gotten too cheap, and too expensive. In any case, it's inequitable so we must get rid of it.
jrrhouston98
AG
Stupid question. What is the percentage you have to put up for bond? I always thought it was 10% minimum. So even on a $100k bond the dirtbag only has to come up with $10k cash. Which is crazy to me because I don't see how these ass holes come up with even $10k.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
It's the Comical so take it for what it's worth
Quote:

The Houston Chronicle reviewed hundreds of court records and found that bail bondsmen for years have been granting less than 10 percent rates on surety bonds. A sampling of data for the first six months of 2021 supported bondsmen, defense attorney and judges' anecdotes that bail agents are more frequently charging lower fees, sometimes as small as 1 or 2 percent, at times on more violent crimes. Some of the defendants are then put on payment plans for the remainder of the money.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/crime/article/harris-county-judges-felony-bonds-critics-16532819.php
The story isn't that [DeSantis] "couldn't win" the primary. The story is that an overwhelming majority of our population is heinously stupid. 50% of them vote for communists. 75% of the remaining 50% vote for Trump, who cant win. When the majority of the opposition party insists on voting for an opposition candidate who can't win, you get exactly the government you deserve. - Well Endowed Ag
jrrhouston98
AG
What the actual F?? I know if I did something stupid enough to get tossed in jail, I'm not coming out til I post full bail. The same could probably be said for most of us here. It's sad these contributors to society treat it as a revolving door. In and out. Glad I finally moved out of Harris county. I can't be blamed for voting these a-holes in office. Sad what it's come to. Society's moral compass is broken.
FHKChE07
AG
And I didn't understand that if you pay the full amount to the court you get your money back, and if you pay the bondsman they keep the cash and the bondsman does not have to pay anything to the court. I thought they were like insurance companies and making money on the time they held your money, but no, they just keep it.

So at least those guys are losing out on $10k if they actually get charged 10%.
JSKolache
AG
Mr. Lahey said:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/10/12/drive-by-shooting-victim-found-in-street-in-spring-branch-officers-say/

Some vigilantes strike back in my hood. I'm sure the da will throw the book at the hero.
Reverse drive by on perp. Love it.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Terrible news this morning:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-deputy-killed-injured-ambush-attack

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/10/16/harris-county-pct-4-deputy-killed-2-others-injured-after-possible-ambush-at-a-bar-in-north-houston/
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Wonder if the black girl manic judges have a target number for how many cops they want to get killed this year.
Ragoo
AG
FHKChE07 said:

And I didn't understand that if you pay the full amount to the court you get your money back, and if you pay the bondsman they keep the cash and the bondsman does not have to pay anything to the court. I thought they were like insurance companies and making money on the time they held your money, but no, they just keep it.

So at least those guys are losing out on $10k if they actually get charged 10%.
I thought you paid 10% to the bondsman and the front the full
Bail to get you out. Then if not guilty they get the bail back and keep your 10%. Otherwise you pay back the bail to them.
htxag09
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

htxag09 said:

My understanding is the $350k is fully refundable when he appears for court. So he goes to a bail bond company, they will put up the $350k, but charge 10%, so he pays them $35k. When he appears for trial they get their $350k back.

Bonding company posts a bond for the full amount, but doesn't actually post the cash unless the bond is forfeited*, as I understand it. Cash bond is when the actual dollars are posted.

*Forfeited bonds are rarely pursued for collection in Harris Co., which incentivizes lending at low rates to deadbeats. Like government-backed loans for $200k lib arts degrees.

Explanation from a couple pages back
Mas89
AG
'' Forfeited bonds are rarely pursued for collection in Harris County". WTF? So if Jose bonds out on multiple felonies and multiple bonds and permanently goes back home to Mexico to never be seen again the bonding company gets to keep his 10 percent payment but they never have to pay up on the bond?

Are you kidding me?
Al Bula
AG
Lol nope that is reparations, Monica.

Dem judges and DAs is right: the bonds are a key issue. But not in the way they would have you believe.

Bail jumpers should be shot on sight. Of course it should never get to that point, but this is the society that we live in.

Best to hope and pray you don't cross paths with one.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Bail jumpers should be shot on sight
Easy, Rod
Ciboag96
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/fatal-shooting-chase-bank-atm-woman-houston-woodridge/285-1546706b-b967-4d12-bcb3-7edf42619845

Ciboag96
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/harris-county-precinct-4-deputy-constbales-fatal-shooting/285-169a3b40-462a-455c-9a4c-ec8277f267f4
kaiguy
AG
https://abc13.com/11141244

"Investigators named 19-year old Victor Ramirez as the suspect who took Magwira's life. Ramirez was arrested in connection with the incident and granted a $500,000 bond."
kaiguy
AG
https://abc13.com/11141847

The husband of a woman who was shot to death at a southeast Houston ATM called the man who took her life "a coward" and told him to "get a job." It was all part of an emotional plea a few hours after Houston police released photos of the killer.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Same could be said of the cowards holding public office in this county. Get a job (that you are actually qualified for).
sts7049
AG
terribly senseless and the perp should be executed himself.

however, i can't help but think how unsafe an idea it would be to go to an ATM in the middle of the night like that. it shouldn't be that way, but not the smartest decision either.
Sea Speed
AG
sts7049 said:

however, i can't help but think how unsafe an idea it would be to go to an ATM in the middle of the night like that.

Never tried to go skiing after a few drinks I see
Diggity
AG
Sea Speed said:

sts7049 said:

however, i can't help but think how unsafe an idea it would be to go to an ATM in the middle of the night like that.

Never tried to go skiing after a few drinks I see
all my dealers take bitcoin these days

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.