Houston
Sponsored by

Can we get to 500 murders this year?

128,426 Views | 1088 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not murder related but have any of you been following the Art Acevado saga in Miami? He's only been there a few moths and they're already trying to get him removed. I don't think any tears were shed when he left here.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/09/27/miami-police-chief-art-acevedo-faces-questioning-from-commissioners/
Sea Speed
AG
Austin wanted him gone, houston wanted him gone and now Miami too? Hmmm. Must be all the millions of citizens who are in the wrong.
htxag09
AG
LMAO. I mean I think the Miami deal is a cluster **** all round. First:

Quote:

Carollo said that the tenure and actions of Acevedo while he has been in the city of Miami has "been a rerun" of the chief's time while heading police departments in California, Austin, Texas, and most recently, Houston, Texas.
Honestly, what did they expect? You hired the guy, assuming you hired him based on his resume and what he's done. You're surprised he'd do the same thing?

Second, it pains me to say it but I believe what old Art is saying probably has merit. And the way Carollo is handling it screams that he's involved in the corruption. Now, I have no inside knowledge nor have I been following this, just basing it off the linked article and some quick googling.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Agree there definitely seems to be some shady dealings down there. I read a few cases where people weren't excusing themselves from IA investigations when they clearly had a conflict of interest. That's never a good sign.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Does this one count? Death by 7 iron?

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/crime/deadly-golf-club-beating-sw-houston-park-patrick-mccarthy-murder/285-8d4713f8-1e38-4ff2-a838-5f96c2d11eca
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Does this one count? Death by 7 iron?

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/crime/deadly-golf-club-beating-sw-houston-park-patrick-mccarthy-murder/285-8d4713f8-1e38-4ff2-a838-5f96c2d11eca
Reading that guy's history is like listening to the hang man read out Tuco's crimes.

MURDER (F)
THEFT >=$100<$750 (M)
FAIL TO ID TO P.O. FALSE INF/FUG (M)
EVADING ARREST/DETENTION (M)
ASSAULT-FAMILY MEMBER (M)
EVADING ARREST/DETENTION (M)
THEFT - $50-$500 (M)
FAIL TO ID TO P.O. FALSE INF (M)
THEFT - $50-$500 (M)
DRIVING WHILE LIC. SUSP./ENHANCED (M)
DRIVING WHILE LIC SUSPENDED (M)
DWI 1ST OFFENDER BAC .08 (M)
UNLAW CARRY WPN (M)
ESCAPE-WHILE ARR/CONF-FELONY (F)
POSS COCAINE LT 28G-NON-CRACK (F)
ESCAPE-WHILE ARR/CONF-FELONY (F)
BURG HABITATION-THEFT (F)
THEFT AUTO $750-20000 (F)
POSS MARIJ 0-2 OZ (M) 2/6/1987
THEFT BY REC $200-$750 UNKNOWN (M)
Al Bula
AG
Funny, he doesn't look Irish

Sea Speed
AG
7 time felon. Jfc.
Ciboag96
Isn't felony Spanish for misdemeanor?
Ciboag96
What number are we on now?

Woman dies after robbery suspect drags her along street during carjacking, HPD says

TarponChaser
Ciboag96 said:

What number are we on now?

Woman dies after robbery suspect drags her along street during carjacking, HPD says

Isn't there some statute which elevates a homicide to capital murder if the homicide occurs in the commission of another felony?
SW AG80
AG
Yes there is. BUT he has to have intentionally or knowingly caused her death and not just committed an act clearly dangerous to human life. And that would be the defense here.

Really does not matter since Ogg will not seek the death penalty.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
What are the odds that the passenger was filming their rolling coal exploits for social media fame and there exists/existed some pretty damning evidence of a crime? I'm going with 80% chance.
lb sand
AG
I would have thought at least one of the cyclist had a gopro or something mounted on handle bars or helmet.
Maybe they did and we just haven't seen the video yet.
Ciboag96
What are the Oggs that he isn't persecuted to the fullest extent of the law?
Ciboag96
Bond was set! Hope he doesn't drag this one out by running...

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/marcus-wayne-brock-carjacking-dragging-suspect-bond-amount-set-thursday-morning/285-b033fd88-9d26-4d29-95b0-fa1e49e53b3a
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Question, I get why we have different tiers or ranges for drug possession, but why do we have dollar thresholds for theft? What difference does it make whether you steal a $19k car, or a $24k car? You're stealing someone else's major possessions. The punishment should be the same whether I am stealing some poor person's 97 Camry, or Tony Buzbee's Rolls Royce. Please tell me the dollar threshold doesn't determine punishment. If so, that is ridiculous.

POSS MARIJ 0-2 OZ (M) 2/6/1987
THEFT BY REC $200-$750 UNKNOWN (M)
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
P.H. Dexippus
AG
You want the guy who shoplifts a soft drink to serve the same punishment as the guy who steals $800k from his church congregation?
Sea Speed
AG
He specifically mentioned vehicles, and bolded them too.
txags92
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

You want the guy who shoplifts a soft drink to serve the same punishment as the guy who steals $800k from his church congregation?
No, he wants a guy who steals a $19,000 car that is somebody's only mode of transportation to serve the same punishment as somebody who steals somebody's $21,000 car that is their only mode of transportation. Reading comprehension isn't that hard...
SW AG80
AG
Prosecutors do have an option. For vehicle thefts, the defendant can be charged with Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle instead of theft. That way the charge is the same for all offenders regardless of the value of the vehicle.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Quote:

Question, I get why we have different tiers or ranges for drug possession, but why do we have dollar thresholds for theft?

Please tell me the dollar threshold doesn't determine punishment.

His question read as a general philosophical question on tiers for property crimes vs. drug crimes, hence my question about $.50 soda vs. $500k cash. The car is property, just like soda, cash, and even pets.

The criminal law generally cares about the value of the property stolen in weighing the magnitude of the crime, and should.
rilloaggie
AG
https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/driver-crash-valets-killed-fairdale-houston/285-621fb742-dee5-49ce-ad01-910f05a51bde

No identity on the perp yet. I'm betting another impressive list of arrests in their past and now 3 more dead bodies.
Sea Speed
AG
And instead of keeping criminals in jail, they will restrict police from pursuing fleeing criminals.
Mr. Lahey
AG
Wtf
water turkey
That's horrible.
sts7049
AG
maybe he was just trying to roll coal and show off...we should be lenient
Sea Speed
AG
From an article on another board, Atlanta only had 121 murders as of August 7th. That is incredible. I thought they would be higher than Houston, and maybe they are per capita, but that stat kind of blew me away. Houston has a major major problem.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Sorry, meant to specify for theft of the same class/type of item. Cars, in this instance.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
txags92
AG
Sea Speed said:

From an article on another board, Atlanta only had 121 murders as of August 7th. That is incredible. I thought they would be higher than Houston, and maybe they are per capita, but that stat kind of blew me away. Houston has a major major problem.
City of Atlanta proper only has a little over 500,000, while City of Houston has about 2.3 million. So Houston is over 4 times the population on a city to city comparison. But the metro areas are not that different, with Atlanta right around 6 million and Houston just over 7 million.
Sea Speed
AG
I didn't realize Atlanta proper had so few people. Thanks.
Al Bula
AG
Sea Speed said:

Houston has a major major problem.
brought to you by Dimtards. . .
Sea Speed
AG
Well at least OUR morons aren't letting gang members involved in shootouts go because they were simply mutual combatants.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/illinois-chicago-gang-shootout-mutual-combat-charges
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
If you live in Chicago and have an enemies list now would be a good time to go shoot them all, plant a gun on them after the fact and call it good.
. . .
Quote:

He was out on bond in connection to a previous Capital Murder.

Shocker…

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/10/06/man-charged-in-connection-with-murder-of-71-year-old-woman-who-was-robbed-run-over-at-east-harris-county-restaurant/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.