Houston
Sponsored by

Can we get to 500 murders this year?

128,259 Views | 1088 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Bettencourt filed legislation to prohibit magistrates from releasing a defendant on a PR bond for offenses committed while out on an existing PR bond, or on a felony offense when two or more other felony charges are pending against the defendant.
I feel like this has been posted here before. But it's amazing to me that this is controversial.
schmellba99
AG
htxag09 said:

Quote:

Bettencourt filed legislation to prohibit magistrates from releasing a defendant on a PR bond for offenses committed while out on an existing PR bond, or on a felony offense when two or more other felony charges are pending against the defendant.
I feel like this has been posted here before. But it's amazing to me that this is controversial.

It's amazing to me that you have to put conditions on any felony charge and allowing them to bond out.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Its amazing that its 2021 and we are still struggling with procedural issues related to criminal justice.

Modifying procedure based on current political climate.

Doesn't seem like a good idea, generally.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Sea Speed said:

So what is up with these road rage shootings? That is several this year and I dont recall them being a thing previously. Did I just not pay attention or is this a new thing in the Tine?

Remember this one?
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/01/31/houston-slayings-ignited-immigration-debate/
Serotonin
AG
txags92 said:

Serotonin said:

Sea Speed said:

This is going to reach a tipping point where the normal folks won't take it anymore, right?

It really depends. Both NYC and Detroit were in terrible condition and headed wrong way in '80s but one chose to crack down on crime and implemented broken window theory policing.

There is still time but it doesn't look very promising right now.
With the shift in technology and business philosophy allowing and encouraging a much larger number of employees to work from home, the need to congregate near large urban areas is going to go away. I predict we will see a massive shift away from the urban areas over the next couple of decades as the people who have the means to do so move out to the country to get away from surging crime. That is why I predicted that Houston is going to go the way of Detroit. The city is mostly landlocked by other municipalities at this point, and the folks who live there insist on voting for the soft on crime judges and DA. The left is never going to have a chief of police that will take on the DA and get tough on crime, so it will just continue to get worse.
I don't think Houston will be Detroit because we don't have the demographics of Detroit.

I know it's not PC to say but the average black population has extremely high homicide rates compared to hispanics, whites, or asians.

African-Americans are actually less of the US population than Hispanics (13% to 18%) but have way more homicides -- 6,318 to 1,576 in 2018.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

Detroit is 81% AA and Houston is 22%, so it would be almost impossible for Houston to become Detroit.

Don't get me wrong though, we can probably increase our normal homicide rate by 30-50% with terrible policies, which is what is happening now. But I think there will be pushback.
txags92
AG
Serotonin said:

txags92 said:

Serotonin said:

Sea Speed said:

This is going to reach a tipping point where the normal folks won't take it anymore, right?

It really depends. Both NYC and Detroit were in terrible condition and headed wrong way in '80s but one chose to crack down on crime and implemented broken window theory policing.

With the shift in technology and business philosophy allowing and encouraging a much larger number of employees to work from home, the need to congregate near large urban areas is going to go away. I predict we will see a massive shift away from the urban areas over the next couple of decades as the people who have the means to do so move out to the country to get away from surging crime. That is why I predicted that Houston is going to go the way of Detroit. The city is mostly landlocked by other municipalities at this point, and the folks who live there insist on voting for the soft on crime judges and DA. The left is never going to have a chief of police that will take on the DA and get tough on crime, so it will just continue to get worse.
I don't think Houston will be Detroit because we don't have the demographics of Detroit.

I know it's not PC to say but the average black population has extremely high homicide rates compared to hispanics, whites, or asians.

African-Americans are actually less of the US population than Hispanics (13% to 18%) but have way more homicides -- 6,318 to 1,576 in 2018.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-2018/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

Detroit is 81% AA and Houston is 22%, so it would be almost impossible for Houston to become Detroit.

Don't get me wrong though, we can probably increase our normal homicide rate by 30-50% with terrible policies, which is what is happening now. But I think there will be pushback.
Detroit's demise is often credited as starting in the 1950s with "rapid suburbanization". In other words, the population left the city for the suburbs. In 1950, Detroit had 1.8M people living there and it was ~84% white and ~16% AA. By 1990, 800,000 people had left the city, and the population was 21.6% white and 75.7% AA. That is what I am referring to regarding Houston going that direction...those with means to do so...aka whites and mobile hispanics will leave for the suburbs if crime is left unchecked and there is no need to be in the city to be employed. Those without means (regardless of race) will be what is left behind. Once the people with means leave the city, the taxes they can collect will no longer cover what is needed to maintain the city, and things will snowball further. Unless we can convince people that voting blue is the pathway to Detroit, we will be headed that direction. And a study of the Detroit demographics and population shifts suggests that it won't take as long as many think to reach a tipping point. With WFH proven out by the Covid experience, lots and lots of companies are going to realize that the expensive leases they are paying for high rise office spaces are an unnecessary expense. Without the draw of tens of thousands of people wanting to live near where they are required to work 5 days a week, many of the hot inside the loop properties are doomed.
W
AG
also...those companies know that the blue cities & counties (Lina) will impose harsh restrictions upon them when the next pandemic hits. (i.e. shut them down)

the northern counties not so much...or not at all
SW AG80
AG
Thanks for a link to the article that sets out the facts of those horrific crimes. I don't live in Harris County so I did not know about that case(s). We certainly have a problem in Texas, specifically in Harris, Bexar, Dallas and Travis Counties, with crime. We need a better informed electorate so we have law and order judges and DAs rather than the progressives we now have.

This huge rise in crime nationwide is making a lot of the middle of the road people look at LE in a more positive light. That in itself is a step in the right direction.
Serotonin
AG
txags92 said:

Serotonin said:

txags92 said:

Serotonin said:

Sea Speed said:

Detroit's demise is often credited as starting in the 1950s with "rapid suburbanization". In other words, the population left the city for the suburbs. In 1950, Detroit had 1.8M people living there and it was ~84% white and ~16% AA. By 1990, 800,000 people had left the city, and the population was 21.6% white and 75.7% AA. That is what I am referring to regarding Houston going that direction...those with means to do so...aka whites and mobile hispanics will leave for the suburbs if crime is left unchecked and there is no need to be in the city to be employed. Those without means (regardless of race) will be what is left behind. Once the people with means leave the city, the taxes they can collect will no longer cover what is needed to maintain the city, and things will snowball further. Unless we can convince people that voting blue is the pathway to Detroit, we will be headed that direction. And a study of the Detroit demographics and population shifts suggests that it won't take as long as many think to reach a tipping point. With WFH proven out by the Covid experience, lots and lots of companies are going to realize that the expensive leases they are paying for high rise office spaces are an unnecessary expense. Without the draw of tens of thousands of people wanting to live near where they are required to work 5 days a week, many of the hot inside the loop properties are doomed.
I agree with your history of Detroit. By 1950 whites started looking at demographic and crime trends and headed for the suburbs. But they also suffered a huge economic decline after WWII, and major racial tension in the 40s.

I think the key demographic difference here though is that AAs were still flooding into Detroit during that time so the population was skyrocketing whereas in Houston it's flat.

In Detroit the black population went up 342% over 30 years from 1940 to 1970.

In Houston the black population went up 12% over 30 years from 1980 to 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_Detroit
http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Demographics/docs_pdfs/Cy/coh_race_ethn_1980-2010.pdf

Black and white population in Houston has been pretty flat for decades. It's the hispanic tidal wave that will take over the city, whether whites decide to move or not.

At this point it would be demographically impossible for Houston not to be a hispanic majority city in the coming decades, which will make it a very different place than Detroit just given homicide and violent crime rates by demographic.

But I am in agreement that the policies being implemented are insane.
txags92
AG
Serotonin said:

txags92 said:

Serotonin said:

txags92 said:

Serotonin said:

Sea Speed said:

I agree with your history of Detroit. By 1950 whites started looking at demographic and crime trends and headed for the suburbs. But they also suffered a huge economic decline after WWII, and major racial tension in the 40s.

I think the key demographic difference here though is that AAs were still flooding into Detroit during that time so the population was skyrocketing whereas in Houston it's flat.

In Detroit the black population went up 342% over 30 years from 1940 to 1970.

In Houston the black population went up 12% over 30 years from 1980 to 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_Detroit
http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Demographics/docs_pdfs/Cy/coh_race_ethn_1980-2010.pdf

Black and white population in Houston has been pretty flat for decades. It's the hispanic tidal wave that will take over the city, whether whites decide to move or not.

At this point it would be demographically impossible for Houston not to be a hispanic majority city in the coming decades, which will make it a very different place than Detroit just given homicide and violent crime rates by demographic.

But I am in agreement that the policies being implemented are insane.
To me, one of the keys in Detroit is that over the same timeframe that the AA population was increasing, the overall population was decreasing dramatically. There are plenty of cities with AA majorities or at least very large minorities that haven't gone the way Detroit did. For me, the key was the dramatic decline in population due to the suburbanization that doomed Detroit long term. Houston faces that same situation if they don't turn things around. Already, they are losing major corporate HQs to places like the woodlands and Spring, and as WFH becomes the new normal and companies downsize their high rise office space needs, the draw of being inside the loop will go away. The heights is a cool and convenient little burg within the city, but when people living there no longer need to commute to downtown offices, and crime continues growing as HPD loses officers faster than they can replace them, working from home in a 1600 sq ft bungalow will be alot less attractive than at the 2500 sq ft house on 5 acres they can buy for the same price out in the country.
Serotonin
AG
I think you will definitely see a lot of people rethinking their living situations post-covid with the commute changing.

But I do think there are a ton of people who just like living in a more urban environment even if they could live in a larger house on acreage. Would most people in the Heights or Montrose know what to do with 5 acres? Could they handle the more isolated living situation that entails? Or hearing nature sounds at night?

A lot of people live in those neighborhoods because they want social scene of an urban neighborhood. That just can't be easily replicated elsewhere.

The other thing is that the prices keep rising rapidly in these neighborhoods, so I think there is a huge backlog of buyers and there aren't many sellers. I'm in agreement that that could flip if you started getting a lot of homicides, but right now things are extremely tight.
Scientific
AG
Urban Decay was nationwide from the 70s-90s, Detroit's hole was a deep one that other cities didn't have to dig themselves out of. Once cities got safer heading into the 00s, we saw the wave of gentrification still taking place now. A lot of things have to happen before we yell Detroit. Look at SF and Austin, yuppies put up with a lot, and will live in the city even if it means walking over human waste.

Unless it gets bad enough to when Robocop chooses Houston as a film location over Detroit again? I think the city will still be attractive to people.
txags92
AG
Serotonin said:

I think you will definitely see a lot of people rethinking their living situations post-covid with the commute changing.

But I do think there are a ton of people who just like living in a more urban environment even if they could live in a larger house on acreage. Would most people in the Heights or Montrose know what to do with 5 acres? Could they handle the more isolated living situation that entails? Or hearing nature sounds at night?

A lot of people live in those neighborhoods because they want social scene of an urban neighborhood. That just can't be easily replicated elsewhere.

The other thing is that the prices keep rising rapidly in these neighborhoods, so I think there is a huge backlog of buyers and there aren't many sellers. I'm in agreement that that could flip if you started getting a lot of homicides, but right now things are extremely tight.
Crime and "defund the police" will be the deciding factor for a lot of those folks. They like living in that urban environment as long as they feel safe. When the homeless camps set up in all their parks that they like to take their kids to, they have to put up with people pooping in the streets, and the police and DAs decide to stop prosecuting most property crimes, those places will become much less "livable" than they are now.
txags92
AG
Scientific said:

Urban Decay was nationwide from the 70s-90s, Detroit's hole was a deep one that other cities didn't have to dig themselves out of. Once cities got safer heading into the 00s, we saw the wave of gentrification still taking place now. A lot of things have to happen before we yell Detroit. Look at SF and Austin, yuppies put up with a lot, and will live in the city even if it means walking over human waste.

Unless it gets bad enough to when Robocop chooses Houston as a film location over Detroit again? I think the city will still be attractive to people.
40% of the residents of SF are currently planning to leave the city, and a huge majority have been thinking about it. The areas outside of Austin are way more popular than within Austin right now. The signs are there, and it is only a matter of time for those cities too.
Serotonin
AG
I agree with that. It will take the wealthy in River Oaks / Memorial to step up and influence local politics to offset the money flowing in from Soros-backed organizations.

Basically the far left was very smart about what they did here and in other cities. They targeted local judicial races where people don't pay a lot of attention and money goes a long way.
JD Shellnut
AG
txags92 said:

Scientific said:

40% of the residents of SF are currently planning to leave the city, and a huge majority have been thinking about it. The areas outside of Austin are way more popular than within Austin right now. The signs are there, and it is only a matter of time for those cities too.

And most of those leaving will move somewhere new and keep voting the same way. I'd rather all the wackos stay in one place.
Scientific
AG
Suburbanization before the 00s was spurred by affordable housing and the high inner city crime rates. People fled because they had cheaper and safer options. If we're talking Detroit level bad, there'd have to be a huge exodus out of the cities like we saw in the 70s.

Hard to predict these things, but I don't think people will suddenly start another wave of migration out, as they're sitting on a ton of equity. That would be a massive amount of housing supply being unloaded all at once. As bad as it is today, it's still a fraction of the murder rate we had in the 80s, with a smaller metro population at that time.
txags92
AG
I hope you are right, but I do think changes to the corporate work environment triggered by Covid work from home policies will be a new factor that hasn't been there with previous suburbanization scenarios. Back then, it was always a balance of staying close to where people had to be for work against avoiding increasing crime. Now a huge number of people are about to become free agents who don't necessarily have to choose between keeping their job or moving to the country. With high speed internet and quality cell service becoming much more widely available and companies encouraging working remotely instead of forcing people to come to a high rise in downtown 5 days a week, the traditional limitation on suburbanization won't necessarily be there to slow it down.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Serotonin said:

Basically the far left was very smart about what they did here and in other cities. They targeted local judicial races where people don't pay a lot of attention and money goes a long way.

But did they? I could be wrong, but I don't think there was a big influx of spending on judicial races or turnout driven by judicial races in the last few cycles. That's different than the DA's race and Soros.

Judicial races are determined by which side gets out it's base, determined in large part by who's at the top of the ticket and/or ballot propositions. See the Beto wave. Down ballot judicial races are an afterthought for the vast majority casting straight ticket/party-line ballots.

Why the Left has had success in Harris Co. since Obama and will continue to do so is the changing demographics via decades of immigration (west coast, illegal or otherwise), migration of conservative whites to Fort Bend, Montgomery, Waller, etc., the passing of the Greatest and Silent Generations, and the rise of the millennial cohort voting block which has been indoctrinated with leftist propaganda since grade school and has little to no memory of the Cold War/Iron Curtain.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Rat ta tat tat.

Sound of 81-million voters getting exactly what they want.
Serotonin
AG
Yeah, maybe I'm conflating the DA with judicial races. All I know is you have literal socialists as judges. Where did that come from, all the Bernie Bros in the 5th Ward? Did even Dem voters want DSA judges? It's strange.
TulaneAg
Well after taking my daughter to David Castro's funeral last Friday ( the kid that was shot leaving the Stros game), I told my wife I'm ready to get the hell outta this town and she's finally listening. Gonna start looking so we can be ready to make a decision next summer.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
SIAP, just saw this on Andy Kahan's facebook page:

Houston Leads National Homicide Surge

Quote:

Violent crime and homicides are surging in major Texas cities, but Houston's increase in homicides leads the U.S.

Quote:

In June, the nation's third-largest city saw a 35% increase in homicides, much higher than that reported in Chicago, Los Angeles and New York City.

Homicides in Houston rose at a quicker rate than any other major city in America, with 222 Houstonians murdered as of June 21, 2021, a 35% increase from 2020 and a 91% increase from 2019.

By comparison, New York City's homicide rate increased by 17%, and Los Angeles' by 23%, cities whose populations dwarf Houston's. Houston's population of roughly 2.3 million people is nearly half the size of Los Angeles's, and almost a quarter the size of New York City's.

We're making the bigtime!
Stat Monitor Repairman
Gon' make that 500.
Anti-taxxer
AG
OEag11 said:

Yes and she's an aggie I believe. 2nd cousins with listeater by the looks of it.

Or, she ate the Listeater.
Ag_07
AG
Population of 2.3 million my ass
LRHF
AG
Not a bad plan... we left at the beginning of this summer and now live in Durango, CO. I loved Living in the Houston Heights but glad to have 4 seasons again.

Floating the San Juan River tomorrow! Just finished packing the boat.

Makes me really mad to see how quickly liberals have changed the city. I was always very proud of how Houston dealt with challenging times compared to other big cities.
Diggity
AG
Some of y'all need to turn off the news and relax.

Covid is a nothing burger but we're all suddenly worried about drive-by shootings.
Ciboag96
Here to inquire if white supremacy is to blame for all of this? Cause it is the biggest threat ya know.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Next up:

https://abc13.com/mother-shot-and-killed-teenager-finds-mom-dead-16-year-old-north-harris-county/10899072/

https://abc13.com/houston-convenience-store-shooting-nt-food-on-yale-shootings-crime/10898504/
W
AG
been a rough few days on the north side...homicide at Yale & Tidwell
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

An emergency initiative is set to go before Harris County Commissioner's Court on Tuesday to approve funding for three visiting judges and support staff.

And now they're blaming Harvey and COVID for letting scum walk

Quote:

According to Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo, there are 100,000 criminal court cases lingering in the judicial pipeline. Enough criminal cases to fill Minute Maid Park nearly two-and-half times.

The increase in personnel comes at a time when the county hasn't built any new criminal district courts in 37 years.

For months, elected leaders have stated the backlog was the result of courts shutting down for Hurricane Harvey and the COVID-19 pandemic.

Violent defendants have continued to be let out on the streets with little or no bond while facing felony charges in other cases. Their day in court takes months, if not, potentially, more than a year.

Jackal99
AG
Ag_07 said:

Population of 2.3 million my ass

It will be by the time all these murders are done.
AlaskanAg99
AG
There is some truth to Harvey. The downtown courthouse flooded and all the mechanicals were in the basement, so everything was destroyed. Then it was a LONG process to get RFP out, do all the required vetting etc...and then they decided to move all the mechanicals to the roof, so basically the entire building had to be redone.

There was some sort of issues with the elevators, so they were going to build new ones, then redesign entry/exit and a whole lot of other things...and each one kept adding time. I don't even know where they are in the process these days.

Those existing courthouses should be run in 3 shifts 24/5 and keep them going until the backlog is eliminated.
aTm '99

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.