Houston
Sponsored by

Question for cyclists

23,564 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
. . . said:

https://www.facebook.com/WallerCountyDAEltonMathis/

Nice to see them admit upfront and get ahead of the story that Waller PD didn't treat the accident as a crime scene and failed to collect evidence (the truck and the kid's phones for instance) that they should have. Sounds like there is even more to that story and Waller PD could be in for some trouble for how they handled it.
Bassmaster
AG
txags92 said:

Bassmaster said:

txags92 said:

You were absolutely clear about the fact that your "cyclist sighting" was a one time event of a cyclist doing something stupid. But your post was also the same "yeah but this one time I saw a cyclist do..." type of post that generates lots of blue stars and lots of "yeah, those damn cyclists never follow the rules and should get off the road" type of responses every time the subject comes up. Those are just as pointless as if I posted a thread about stupid motorists and came by to post my story every time I saw one break a law or do something stupid. What exactly does it add to the discussion? We all know some cyclists ride like a-holes. We all know sometimes they hold up traffic unnecessarily. What does telling us one more time that it happened to you add to the discussion?

As a cyclist who doesn't ride like an a-hole and who would like to avoid irritating motorists wherever I can, I just see these posts as more of the same "cyclists are bad, we should dislike all of them" attitude that has infected places like Waller county and made it so a 16 year old thinks it is ok to assault them. I would love to find a way to fix the problem, but I have no more control over some random guy riding a bike through the Heights than you do over some random kid coal rolling people out in Waller. I just don't see the continued demonization of individuals as representative of the whole to be helpful to either side.
Problem is that it isn't an isolated incident. I'm sure most people who are anti-cyclist have had similar experiences and do so pretty regularly. My neighborhood is used as a riding destination by a high volume of spandex dorks and I could share similar stories on a weekly basis.
Ok, so what. I could share absolutely the same regarding motorists every single time I drive somewhere in my truck. What good would it do for me to rush to Texags to point it out every time it happens? The reality is that probably well over 95% of the "illegal" actions by cyclists and motorists (rolling stop signs, speeding, not signaling a turn, etc.) don't endanger anybody and may result in a few seconds of slowing down for another motorist. As a cyclist who rides safely on quiet roads far west of Houston and obeys the laws, what exactly is it that you expect me to do about a cyclist somewhere in the Heights that didn't ride safely? Why am I expected to answer for that anymore than I would expect you to answer for every dumbass driving 60 in the left lane of I-10 on the way back from San Antonio last night?
Nobody expects you to defend them, yet here you are. Criticize away about bad drivers, I won't defend him.
txags92
AG
Bassmaster said:

txags92 said:

Bassmaster said:

txags92 said:

You were absolutely clear about the fact that your "cyclist sighting" was a one time event of a cyclist doing something stupid. But your post was also the same "yeah but this one time I saw a cyclist do..." type of post that generates lots of blue stars and lots of "yeah, those damn cyclists never follow the rules and should get off the road" type of responses every time the subject comes up. Those are just as pointless as if I posted a thread about stupid motorists and came by to post my story every time I saw one break a law or do something stupid. What exactly does it add to the discussion? We all know some cyclists ride like a-holes. We all know sometimes they hold up traffic unnecessarily. What does telling us one more time that it happened to you add to the discussion?

As a cyclist who doesn't ride like an a-hole and who would like to avoid irritating motorists wherever I can, I just see these posts as more of the same "cyclists are bad, we should dislike all of them" attitude that has infected places like Waller county and made it so a 16 year old thinks it is ok to assault them. I would love to find a way to fix the problem, but I have no more control over some random guy riding a bike through the Heights than you do over some random kid coal rolling people out in Waller. I just don't see the continued demonization of individuals as representative of the whole to be helpful to either side.
Problem is that it isn't an isolated incident. I'm sure most people who are anti-cyclist have had similar experiences and do so pretty regularly. My neighborhood is used as a riding destination by a high volume of spandex dorks and I could share similar stories on a weekly basis.
Ok, so what. I could share absolutely the same regarding motorists every single time I drive somewhere in my truck. What good would it do for me to rush to Texags to point it out every time it happens? The reality is that probably well over 95% of the "illegal" actions by cyclists and motorists (rolling stop signs, speeding, not signaling a turn, etc.) don't endanger anybody and may result in a few seconds of slowing down for another motorist. As a cyclist who rides safely on quiet roads far west of Houston and obeys the laws, what exactly is it that you expect me to do about a cyclist somewhere in the Heights that didn't ride safely? Why am I expected to answer for that anymore than I would expect you to answer for every dumbass driving 60 in the left lane of I-10 on the way back from San Antonio last night?
Nobody expects you to defend them, yet here you are. Criticize away about bad drivers, I won't defend him.
Yeah, but the problem is that nobody is singling out all drivers as one group and targeting them for harassment or assault because of how other drivers drive. The same can't be said for cyclists. And every time somebody pipes in with another "I saw a cyclist do..." followed by the predictable "they all do that and shouldn't be on the road..." followed by the posting of the video of the car plowing through the group of cyclists that will get a bunch of blue stars, the message is reinforced that it is ok to target all cyclists for what some cyclists do.
WES2006AG
AG
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/waller-bike-crash-teen-driver-police-response-16533243.php
chico
AG
that chief is catching flack on that facebook post in the comments - admitting to errors, no sympathy for the injured victims, not impounding the pick up, driver not ticketed, he hasn't promised to attempt making cycling safer in his community, admits the kid driver has connections, etc.
txags92
AG
Tell me you are anti-cyclist and intend to harass cyclists to ensure your re-election without telling me you intend to harass cyclists to ensure your re-election...

Waller County Sheriff's Office - Posts | Facebook

Waller County Sheriff's Office - Posts | Facebook

Those two posts are back to back on their facebook page. The new Sheriff telling everybody how he intends to put 8 new patrol units on the roads to "protect citizens from unlawful behavior", followed by a photo of a deputy who has stopped a group of cyclists who were not breaking the law to tell them how unaware he is of what the law actually says.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_a9bUdYAk4TIebOO-CnKN2vj3I9YaI7C/view?usp=sharing

Gotta to love the admission of guilt in the narrative, multiple contributing factors assigned to driver, but no citation issued.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
AndesAg92
AG
txags92 said:

Bassmaster said:

txags92 said:

Bassmaster said:

txags92 said:

Yeah, but the problem is that nobody is singling out all drivers as one group and targeting them for harassment or assault because of how other drivers drive. The same can't be said for cyclists. And every time somebody pipes in with another "I saw a cyclist do..." followed by the predictable "they all do that and shouldn't be on the road..." followed by the posting of the video of the car plowing through the group of cyclists that will get a bunch of blue stars, the message is reinforced that it is ok to target all cyclists for what some cyclists do.

I just don't agree with your bike vs car comments. They are not equal and not comparable. Cars are humans main method of transportation. This is a fact. You use your bike for recreation. Play by the freaking rules when doing recreational activities.
txags92
AG
AndesAg92 said:

txags92 said:

Bassmaster said:

txags92 said:

Bassmaster said:

txags92 said:

I just don't agree with your bike vs car comments. They are not equal and not comparable. Cars are humans main method of transportation. This is a fact. You use your bike for recreation. Play by the freaking rules when doing recreational activities.
I do. And yet, in your mind, I am no different than those who don't...and you will treat me accordingly.
txags92
AG
And as a follow on, go read the responses to the post about the deputy lecturing the cyclists about the "rules". The motorists are all there complaining about the cyclists not obeying the law, and the cyclists keep posting the exact wording of the law, showing that they ARE following the law. The motorists have no interest in reading what the law actually says and admitting that maybe the cops were wrong to lecture them for riding in accordance with the law.
chico
AG
AndesAg92 said:

This is a fact. You use your bike for recreation.
I commuted to my office by bike today. I rode my bike to get lunch today. I often ride my bike for non-recreational purposes.
txags92
AG
chico said:

AndesAg92 said:

I commuted to my office by bike today. I rode my bike to get lunch today. I often ride my bike for non-recreational purposes.
Yeah, but he is correct in regards to most cyclists in Waller County. I am willing to admit that, but I am also willing to bet he has no idea what the "rules" actually are for cyclists "taking the lane" under Texas law. So much of this is just 1) motorists who believe cyclists shouldn't be allowed to ride on any road or 2) motorists who are ok with cyclists on the road, as long as they "follow the rules", but who have no idea what those "rules" actually are.
AndesAg92
AG
chico said:

AndesAg92 said:

Lol. Would you disagree that automobiles are the main method of transportation for human beings?

Don't be petty. If anything your the exception not the rule.

You guys are unreal
chico
AG
txags92 said:

chico said:

AndesAg92 said:

Yeah, but he is correct in regards to most cyclists in Waller County. I am willing to admit that, but I am also willing to bet he has no idea what the "rules" actually are for cyclists "taking the lane" under Texas law. So much of this is just 1) motorists who believe cyclists shouldn't be allowed to ride on any road or 2) motorists who are ok with cyclists on the road, as long as they "follow the rules", but who have no idea what those "rules" actually are.
true - and you better believe I take lane while riding in the big city of H-Town. fyi, I stay on non-busy roads....I do my best not to annoy drivers
htxag09
AG
AndesAg92 said:

chico said:

AndesAg92 said:

Lol. Would you disagree that automobiles are the main method of transportation for human beings?

You guys are unreal
Yep, a dip**** kid intentionally harassing cyclists ended up running several over, hospitalizing a couple. But cyclists are unreal.
chico
AG
AndesAg92 said:

chico said:

AndesAg92 said:

You guys are unreal
Lol. I didn't dispute your assertion about automobiles....and yes, I am exceptional - as my wife tells me!
htxag09
AG
and that's all I need to know. Assuming 92 is class year, so 50+ years old but the maturity of a 10 year old and an embarrassment to A&M
AndesAg92
AG
chico said:

AndesAg92 said:

chico said:

AndesAg92 said:

You guys are unreal
Lol. I didn't dispute your assertion about automobiles....and yes, I am exceptional - as my wife tells me!

https://giphy.com/gifs/southparkgifs-l3vR0oySaduLArIfC
AndesAg92
AG
htxag09 said:

and that's all I need to know. Assuming 92 is class year, so 50+ years old but the maturity of a 10 year old and an embarrassment to A&M

Quit getting your panties in a wad. I obviously think that kid needs to get charged and certainly don't condone violence against cyclist.

I just think it's really funny how worked up you dorks get. I started this thread as such.
chico
AG
AndesAg92 said:

htxag09 said:

Quit getting your panties in a wad. I obviously think that kid needs to get charged and certainly don't condone violence against cyclist.

I just think it's really funny how worked up you dorks get. I started this thread as such.
sorry but I get worked up when cyclists get hit. I have a good friend who was hit by a driver who couldn't see out of his left eye - the direction my friend was approaching. The driver went through the intersection unlawfully and hit my friend, causing brain damage (yes he had on a helmet). Police on scene issued the driver no ticket (he got a ticket later). Just asking for safer conditions here....
txags92
AG
AndesAg92 said:

htxag09 said:

And I just think it is sad how the "all cyclists break the law all the time" and "cyclists don't belong on the road" narratives get merged into "it is ok to harass any cyclists you see on the road" and eventually turn into "whoops the kid is just an inexperienced driver who was reaching for his cell phone" and "this was just an accident and he shouldn't really go to jail for nearly killing/killing those lycra clad dorks...I mean cyclists".

In reality none of it is funny. We have an obesity epidemic, and we should be celebrating people who try to get out and exercise instead of attacking them for what they wear or where they ride (legally).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.