Houston
Sponsored by

Question for cyclists

23,586 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
AndesAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had to take a different route to work this morning. Saw a cyclist egregiously run a stop sign, almost get hit, flick off the guy and continued to hog the road.......

I can't stand these guys. It really chaps my ass.
txags92
AG
AndesAg92 said:

Had to take a different route to work this morning. Saw a cyclist egregiously run a stop sign, almost get hit, flick off the guy and continued to hog the road.......

I can't stand these guys. It really chaps my ass.
As a cyclist, I hate when they do that too. I gave you a blue star for not having to start a new thread about your experience.
TexasAggie81
Bicyclists do not belong on major (non-neighborhood) roads period. Latest stats "In the Houston area, 19 riders died in traffic accidents during 2018. Between 2009 and 2018, there were 160 bicyclist deaths in the Houston area. Cyclist deaths increased by 46% over that period. Of the 534 cyclist deaths during this time period, 27.5% of the deaths occurred in the Houston area." Is letting them cycle on these roads worth these deaths?
AndesAg92
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

Bicyclists do not belong on major (non-neighborhood) roads period. Latest stats "In the Houston area, 19 riders died in traffic accidents during 2018. Between 2009 and 2018, there were 160 bicyclist deaths in the Houston area. Cyclist deaths increased by 46% over that period. Of the 534 cyclist deaths during this time period, 27.5% of the deaths occurred in the Houston area." Is letting them cycle on these roads worth these deaths?

The answer is no even though Htx09 and the lot will say otherwise.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Well, I'm not dying, so what the f do I care?
txags92
AG
I really wish they would distinguish between "cyclist" (ie wearing a helmet, clothing that is bright enough to draw your eye, riding the same direction as traffic, during the daytime or riding with appropriate lighting/reflectors) and what I call "dumbass on a bike" ( ie no helmet, no lights or reflectors, riding the opposite direction of traffic, wearing dark clothes, at night, etc). I used to drive 1960 between 45 and 290 fairly regularly, and I saw a lot of dumbasses on a bike that I assumed would show up as a statistic within the next few days. There are certainly places cyclists shouldn't be riding, but the county doesn't do themselves any favors in that regard by taking roads that were suitable for cycling, and rebuilding them in ways that are not, while at the same time actively trying to force cyclists out of the parks and back onto the streets.
Bert315
AG
txags92 said:

I really wish they would distinguish between "cyclist" (ie wearing a helmet, clothing that is bright enough to draw your eye, riding the same direction as traffic, during the daytime or riding with appropriate lighting/reflectors) and what I call "dumbass on a bike" ( ie no helmet, no lights or reflectors, riding the opposite direction of traffic, wearing dark clothes, at night, etc). I used to drive 1960 between 45 and 290 fairly regularly, and I saw a lot of dumbasses on a bike that I assumed would show up as a statistic within the next few days. There are certainly places cyclists shouldn't be riding, but the county doesn't do themselves any favors in that regard by taking roads that were suitable for cycling, and rebuilding them in ways that are not, while at the same time actively trying to force cyclists out of the parks and back onto the streets.

Exactly. They put out signs in George Bush park limiting the speed limit to 10mph for cyclists. Most ignore it but it's ridiculous as they continue to limit where we can safely ride.
Jock 07
AG
txags92 said:

No amount of lights/colorful clothes/flair will save you from someone checking their phone and veering off the road.
AndesAg92
AG
Just go do it out in the country. Problem solved. Quit breaking our laws in town.
sts7049
AG
AndesAg92 said:

Just go do it out in the country. Problem solved. Quit breaking our laws in town.
and quit using your phone while driving too
AndesAg92
AG
sts7049 said:

AndesAg92 said:

Good argument bro. Cars are the most prominent form of transportation in Houston. The fact you think you're better than drivers is why people hate y'all.
ATM9000
AG
AndesAg92 said:

sts7049 said:

AndesAg92 said:

Good argument bro. Cars are the most prominent form of transportation in Houston. The fact you think you're better than drivers is why people hate y'all.

Sorry but asking drivers to pay basic attention is thinking 'you're better than drivers?'
sts7049
AG
you're the one harping on following the law, not me. pretty sure texting and driving is against the law also.

everyone follows the law we'll all be a lot safer right?
drumboy
AG
txags92 said:

What about the growing group of cyclists in EBikes? Should they stay on bike path going 20-28 mph past pedestrians? Ride them on the street where they're slowing traffic down and hard to pass? Or just F right off?
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
txags92
AG
drumboy said:

txags92 said:

What about the growing group of cyclists in EBikes? Should they stay on bike path going 20-28 mph past pedestrians? Ride them on the street where they're slowing traffic down and hard to pass? Or just F right off?
Well, you can see the opinions here. Cyclists are supposed to ride on the sidewalk (where it is illegal in many municipalities); on the "bike path" in the park (where the county has set ridiculously low speed limits to protect pedestrians on the "BIKE path"); on the shoulder (which the county has systematically eliminated when "improving" roads for the last 25 years, over the objections of cyclists' public comments to TXDOT), or out in the country (where all the residents want the cyclists to stay in the city). Basically as a cyclist, you are not supposed to ride your bike anywhere that anybody else wants to use the road or the BIKE path for other uses. hth
drumboy
AG
txags92 said:

drumboy said:

txags92 said:

Well, you can see the opinions here. Cyclists are supposed to ride on the sidewalk (where it is illegal in many municipalities); on the "bike path" in the park (where the county has set ridiculously low speed limits to protect pedestrians on the "BIKE path"); on the shoulder (which the county has systematically eliminated when "improving" roads for the last 25 years, over the objections of cyclists' public comments to TXDOT), or out in the country (where all the residents want the cyclists to stay in the city). Basically as a cyclist, you are not supposed to ride your bike anywhere that anybody else wants to use the road or the BIKE path for other uses. hth
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
lb sand
AG

Stolen from outdoor board
drumboy
AG
I've had close calls like this on motorcycles and it's not a good feeling.

That's not the best deer vs rider video, btw.

rilloaggie
AG
txags92 said:

drumboy said:

txags92 said:

Don't know if you noticed but they've quietly updated the signage at Hershey park. No more 10mph speed limit posted that I saw from kirkwood to dairy ashford.

https://imgur.com/a/o0UHwGa

txags92
AG
rilloaggie said:

txags92 said:

drumboy said:

txags92 said:

Don't know if you noticed but they've quietly updated the signage at Hershey park. No more 10mph speed limit posted that I saw from kirkwood to dairy ashford.

That is great news. It was ridiculous to put the low speed limits out there to begin with, and then to charge such an exorbitant fine for it relative to other driving offenses (with no option to take defensive driving as can be done with nearly all other moving violations) was the cherry on top of all the stupid.
htxag09
AG
txags92 said:

rilloaggie said:

txags92 said:

drumboy said:

txags92 said:

That is great news. It was ridiculous to put the low speed limits out there to begin with, and then to charge such an exorbitant fine for it relative to other driving offenses (with no option to take defensive driving as can be done with nearly all other moving violations) was the cherry on top of all the stupid.
Especially when 90+% of the time it's the pedestrians at fault. I was running in memorial park Saturday evening when I was passing two girls who were walking. I went to their left, giving them about 4' as I was passing them. I was almost even to them when one girl lifted her phone and made a hard and immediate left running right into me. She apologized and said she wanted to take a picture of the moon.
LRHF
AG
htxag09 said:

txags92 said:

rilloaggie said:

txags92 said:

drumboy said:

txags92 said:

Especially when 90+% of the time it's the pedestrians at fault. I was running in memorial park Saturday evening when I was passing two girls who were walking. I went to their left, giving them about 4' as I was passing them. I was almost even to them when one girl lifted her phone and made a hard and immediate left running right into me. She apologized and said she wanted to take a picture of the moon.

Hope you didn't go down too hard. Used to ride the East side to avoid this drama.
htxag09
AG
I was running so no huge deal. Just annoying. But I've had similar happen while cycling. Was just a point of how completely oblivious most pedestrians are to their surroundings.
rilloaggie
AG
Yeah there was a post on my nextdoor complaining about cyclist using a bike path. A pedestrian who was standing in the absolute middle of the path, and who had time to pull out his phone and video a cyclist approach from 50' away, complained that a cyclist passed too fast/close to him. Guy on the bike was probably 6" from the edge of the pavement. When I pointed out to the pedestrian that he was taking up the entire trail his response was "well cyclist are supposed to yield to pedestrians so he should have gotten off his bike and passed me on foot". I appreciate the new signage that actually tells pedestrians to stay to the right and let people pass. Sharing is such a foreign concept to folks.
Bert315
AG
rilloaggie said:

txags92 said:

drumboy said:

txags92 said:

Haven't updated yet at George Bush park but hopefully soon. Glad to hear they are going to do so. Basic common courtesy and awareness by everyone is really what is needed.
Sea Speed
AG
htxag09 said:

I was running so no huge deal. Just annoying. But I've had similar happen while cycling. Was just a point of how completely oblivious most pedestrians are to their surroundings.

To be fair, I sont think its limited to pedestrians. People are probably the most unaware of their surroundings now as they ever have been. People don't pay attention to anything these days it seems.
chimpanzee
Serious cycling as a hobby doesn't really fit into a crowded city. You're too fast for the sidewalks and too slow for the streets. The infrastructure can be built to accommodate you, but there are not nearly enough people interested in it to pay for the bike lanes/paths, it has to come from someone else that isn't going to benefit.

If the bike path network were fantastically planned, it would be really expensive and would get about three cars out of everyone else's way in this swamp city full of people that would only voluntarily raise their heart rate to run to a free cheeseburger.
txags92
AG
chimpanzee said:

Serious cycling as a hobby doesn't really fit into a crowded city. You're too fast for the sidewalks and too slow for the streets. The infrastructure can be built to accommodate you, but there are not nearly enough people interested in it to pay for the bike lanes/paths, it has to come from someone else that isn't going to benefit.

If the bike path network were fantastically planned, it would be really expensive and would get about three cars out of everyone else's way in this swamp city full of people that would only voluntarily raise their heart rate to run to a free cheeseburger.
See, this is where I think the County was EXTREMELY short sighted and actually shot themselves in the foot. They HAD a good network of roads out on the west side of town where people were fine riding their bikes. But under Steve Raddack's leadership, every time one of those roads was going to be "improved", and cyclists put in comments to TXDOT about cycling users needing to be accounted for in the design, Raddack's office instead pointed to all of the "bike paths" they had built in the park and their belief that cyclists didn't belong on the road. So the roads were built in ways that had no room for cyclists...not even a paved shoulder. But at the same time, the "bike paths" became more and more crowded and the county's language started referring to them as "multi-use paths" and eventually "pedestrian trails" or sidewalks. Walkers and joggers were prioritized over cyclists, and that is how we got to where we are now. If we had just added paved shoulders or real bike lanes to those roads in the first place, the incremental cost would have been much more reasonable and manageable. But now, trying to add such an accommodation within and/or around existing infrastructure is a much more expensive proposition.

And you are wrong about how much use a system would get...I would ride my bike to work down in westchase in a heartbeat if I could do so safely and get a shower once I got to the office, and I know quite a few others who would do the same. I am not some lefty dreamer who believes it would make a meaningful impact on traffic...it won't. But it would get more use than you think.
chimpanzee
txags92 said:

And you are wrong about how much use a system would get...I would ride my bike to work down in westchase in a heartbeat if I could do so safely and get a shower once I got to the office, and I know quite a few others who would do the same. I am not some lefty dreamer who believes it would make a meaningful impact on traffic...it won't. But it would get more use than you think.
I'd like it too, I used to be a pretty serious cyclist, I just think the numbers are vanishingly small in a city like Houston. I could be wrong, just my increasingly jaundiced view of my fellow Houstonians shining through.

5-10 miles on a bike on either end of a workday would be fantastic if it got you where you needed to go safely, but the details don't seem to line up, ever. You would have to sacrifice all kinds of other QoL decisions here to make it work.

drumboy
AG
With more and more people getting ebikes the number of cyclists is going to rise. I see multiple folks every day on Super73s or RAD bikes cruising down the skinny roads in the Heights.

I loved riding my acoustic bike 7 miles from Timbergrove to downtown when I worked down there, but def was sweaty.
AndesAg92
AG
I put on my fairy little shorts with a butt pad last weekend and very much enjoyed a quick 11 mile ride. The park trail I rode was not super slammed. I don't get the *****ing about trail capacity etc. no need to be on inner loop streets
txags92
AG
AndesAg92 said:

I put on my fairy little shorts with a butt pad last weekend and very much enjoyed a quick 11 mile ride. The park trail I rode was not super slammed. I don't get the *****ing about trail capacity etc. no need to be on inner loop streets
It only became a problem when Steve Raddack slapped 10 mph speed limits on the entire Terry Hershey and George Bush park trail systems on the west side and had his constables start writing tickets to cyclists that were more expensive than driving 60 through a school zone and could not be removed via defensive driving. Their justification was that cyclists were endangering pedestrians on the "bike path" by riding too fast. Sounds like maybe that has finally been reversed, but we will see.
htxag09
AG
11 miles is one thing. But when you're doing substantially more it'd be nice to have options. I basically just do 100 miles on the picnic loop because it's the best option. Talk about boring as hell. Also, every Saturday isn't the same. Last Saturday the trails I ride weren't crowded at all. Do it again this Saturday, when the weather is actually nice, and get back to us.
htxag09
AG
A group of cyclists from houston went out to hockley for a ride today. Since, you know, cyclists don't belong on city streets. Well, a truck tried to blow smoke at them, or that's what the story is, and ended up running over some/running the rest off the road. Two were life flighted to the med center
chico
AG
htxag09 said:

11 miles is one thing. But when you're doing substantially more it'd be nice to have options. I basically just do 100 miles on the picnic loop because it's the best option. Talk about boring as hell. Also, every Saturday isn't the same. Last Saturday the trails I ride weren't crowded at all. Do it again this Saturday, when the weather is actually nice, and get back to us.

Clinton- Jensen to Wayside
Armour
Harvey Wilson
Lockwood and Hirsch bridges
Old Clinton
Navigation
Lawndale to the Washburn Tunnel
Elysian Viaduct Bridge

Places to rack up miles

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.