Houston
Sponsored by

Question for cyclists

23,588 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
chico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

A group of cyclists from houston went out to hockley for a ride today. Since, you know, cyclists don't belong on city streets. Well, a truck tried to blow smoke at them, or that's what the story is, and ended up running over some/running the rest off the road. Two were life flighted to the med center

Know any more? I saw this earlier today on my Facebook feed but have heard nothing since

Edit. Just saw more on Facebook. The story I see there agrees with what you were saying. I saw pictures of ambulance stretchers and someone laid out pretty good on the side of the road. Looks like a black pick up truck with dents all on the front of it did the damage
htxag09
AG
chico said:

htxag09 said:

A group of cyclists from houston went out to hockley for a ride today. Since, you know, cyclists don't belong on city streets. Well, a truck tried to blow smoke at them, or that's what the story is, and ended up running over some/running the rest off the road. Two were life flighted to the med center

Know any more? I saw this earlier today on my Facebook feed but have heard nothing since

Edit. Just saw more on Facebook. The story I see there agrees with what you were saying. I saw pictures of ambulance stretchers and someone laid out pretty good on the side of the road. Looks like a black pick up truck with dents all on the front of it did the damage

That's about all I know. They're in a couple of the same Facebook groups as me with threads. But no updates on condition yet. Someone did say the guy driving didn't even get arrested.
chico
AG
htxag09 said:

chico said:

htxag09 said:

That's about all I know. They're in a couple of the same Facebook groups as me with threads. But no updates on condition yet. Someone did say the guy driving didn't even get arrested.

Friend of mine had right of way going through an intersection on his bike. Pick up truck blew through the stop sign hitting my friend who needed skull surgery to survive. The pick up driver was blind in his left eye so he never saw my friend. Cop did not give him a ticket either. However Ed Gonzalez who was city Council remember at the time influenced it enough that the driver got a 3 foot unsafe passing ticket. Ridiculous
chico
AG
I'm seeing on Facebook 18-year-old driver was arrested. One cyclist was life flighted and another was ambulance to the hospital. Apparently the 18-year-old passed them twice rolling coal both times and hit them on his second pass. Triathletes? CMob group?
Jock 07
AG
****ty deal certainly. But how people think it's a good idea to ride on major roads with no barriers with thousands pound vehicles is beyond me.
Cromagnum
AG
chico said:

I'm seeing on Facebook 18-year-old driver was arrested. One cyclist was life flighted and another was ambulance to the hospital. Apparently the 18-year-old passed them twice rolling coal both times and hit them on his second pass. Triathletes? CMob group?

I hope that stupid **** gets nailed with multiple attempted murder charges actually.
htxag09
AG
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/pickup-truck-runs-over-6-cyclists-in-waller-county-4-people-hospitalized

Has not been arrested. 4 cyclists taken to hospitals, 2 via helicopter.
sts7049
AG
Jock 07 said:

****ty deal certainly. But how people think it's a good idea to ride on major roads with no barriers with thousands pound vehicles is beyond me.
what's the alternative? you would cry and moan just the same if they blocked off or closed the roads just "for safety"

how about maybe, don't be an ******* and have respect for other people?
Bert315
AG
Jock 07 said:

That's your response to someone being critically injured by a jerk who could have easily gone around instead of playing games with peoples lives?

Wow, I hope you never have a family member killed or seriously injured in a car accident. How would you like this statement made? "****ty deal certainly but how people think it's a good idea to go drive on major roads in a car going 70MPH with the potential to get hit by another car is beyond me.' This comes down to basic sanctity of life and caring for other people besides yourself.
htxag09
AG
ATM9000
AG
Jock 07 said:

What a dip**** response this is.

Bunch of people seriously hurt because some little turd's parents didn't teach him how to act apparently and you somehow are trying to turn the finger around on cyclists.
AndesAg92
AG
This thread continues to deliver.

Sad deal. Hope everyone ends up ok
drumboy
AG
I can't believe nobody has posted that gif of the car plowing through the bike riders.
lexofer
AG
Cyclists annoy me sometimes but this was on a 4 lane road and it's really easy to pass cyclists there.

That being said I live in Waller and the Sheriff's department just came by my house looking for the neighbors teenage son. Never had them come by before in the 6 years I've lived here, seems like a pretty big coincidence.
Sea Speed
AG
drumboy said:

I can't believe nobody has posted that gif of the car plowing through the bike riders.

That's an instant ban gif for anyone thinking about it.
CDUB98
AG
htxag09 said:

It's a TexAgs wet dream.

All the big mouths who hope for cyclist injuries need to show up and celebrate.
CDUB98
AG
Jock 07 said:

Hey, ****stick, perhaps you missed the part where the kid made multiple passes to roll coal and intimidate riders. Something I thing you've been all for in the past.

I know a guy who was in the group right behind the group that got hit.

This kid was doing exactly what all you pencil dicks want to do, or others do.
CDUB98
AG
sts7049 said:

Jock 07 said:

what's the alternative? you would cry and moan just the same if they blocked off or closed the roads just "for safety"

how about maybe, don't be an ******* and have respect for other people?

It's hard for people to not be *******s when you dare inconvenience them by a minute or two.
CDUB98
AG
drumboy said:

Because it's an ******* thing to do.

How ****ty of a person are you to celebrate innocent people being run over by a car?
AndesAg92
AG
CDUB98 said:

drumboy said:

Because it's an ******* thing to do.

How ****ty of a person are you to celebrate innocent people being run over by a car?

Just breathe… CDUB. Just breathe…
LRHF
AG
Hey CDUB-

Do you know what shop this ride took off from?
Crazy Ag 97
AG
LRHF said:

Hey CDUB-

I believe it was a CyTri group so likely either Hockley Community Center or Zube Park.
TriAg2010
AG
Jock 07 said:

Then you take for granted how many daily activities put people and thousand pound vehicles into close contact without any physical barriers.

If someone is going to deliberately and recklessly operate a motor vehicle - particularly for the sake of intimidating or antagonizing total strangers - then a host of activities from crossing a crosswalk, to walking to your car in a parking lot, to picking up your kids in a carpool line would be "beyond you."
Sea Speed
AG
CDUB98 said:

Jock 07 said:

Hey, ****stick, perhaps you missed the part where the kid made multiple passes to roll coal and intimidate riders. Something I thing you've been all for in the past.

I know a guy who was in the group right behind the group that got hit.

This kid was doing exactly what all you pencil dicks want to do, or others do.

I'm on the cyclists side on this one, but come on, no one here wants to murder anyone else. I hope.
Jock 07
AG
Holy ***** A lot of emotional unstable people in here it seems. Seems to be a common theme with bicycle riders for some reason.

If this was intentional, which by all accounts here seems to be the case, and honestly even if it wasn't and due to negligence, I hope the guy faces the full extent of the law.

All I'm saying is that physics aren't on your side when you're out riding. I enjoy riding my bike, certainly not to the extent many of you seem to, but I personally would never even think about venturing out onto a major roadway where cars are traveling 45 MPH+. All it takes is one distracted driver to veer off the road.

And I'm not even going to try and start to unpack the logic thread comparing a car with all of its safety features to a bicycle.
ATM9000
AG
Jock 07 said:

Holy ***** A lot of emotional unstable people in here it seems. Seems to be a common theme with bicycle riders for some reason.

If this was intentional, which by all accounts here seems to be the case, and honestly even if it wasn't and due to negligence, I hope the guy faces the full extent of the law.

All I'm saying is that physics aren't on your side when you're out riding. I enjoy riding my bike, certainly not to the extent many of you seem to, but I personally would never even think about venturing out onto a major roadway where cars are traveling 45 MPH+. All it takes is one distracted driver to veer off the road.

And I'm not even going to try and start to unpack the logic thread comparing a car with all of its safety features to a bicycle.

People get charged about it because this incident has zero to do with how big or fast cars are vs bikes and everything to do with lack of respect for others on the road who you are supposed to share the road with by law.

'Coal rolling' cyclists… what a pencil****.
Ragoo
AG
I rode my bike for over 3 hours on my trainer in my closet yesterday. There is no way I am risking getting out on the roads.

Case in point your victim blame attitude.

Case in point the ******* running people over.

This isn't the first intentional strike out in Waller and it won't be the last.

Everyone ****ing hates everyone else and it ****ing sucks. What ever happened to being kind to your fellow man?
CDUB98
AG
Crazy Ag 97 said:

LRHF said:

Hey CDUB-

I believe it was a CyTri group so likely either Hockley Community Center or Zube Park.

I think this is correct.

It was more of a race group, not your normal weekend warriors. The guy I know was averaging 22mph at mile 80 in the ride, so they were cooking pretty good.
CDUB98
AG
I went for a ride to cool off. Obviously, I was pissed.

But, with the news of Scimitar's passing, I don't have the energy to fight anymore today. He was a friend in real life.
LRHF
AG
Many years ago, I took my wife on a ride in the same area in her new woman's specific Bianchi. We were having a great time until some ******* three a slurpee at us from the opposite direction. Luckily, it sailed between us.

Had another ******* throw a beer at me while riding in woodlands.

Some meth-head tried to run us over while riding La Plata highway 15 years ago. Almost a fist fight in the middle of the damn highway after I insulted the driver.

We were riding one of the bike trails in the East side of Houston when some youths tried to knock us off our bikes and rob us. Joke would have been on them for stealing 20 yr old bikes but could have been badly hurt.

I love riding but some of the attitudes on TA's are ****ed up! Ride long enough and you will have plenty of stories like these. Life is hard, just ease up slide over a bit when encountering cyclists.

Glad I now Live in a cycling friendly community.
AndesAg92
AG
CDUB98 said:

I went for a ride to cool off. Obviously, I was pissed.

But, with the news of Scimitar's passing, I don't have the energy to fight anymore today. He was a friend in real life.
Who died? what happened?
Sea Speed
AG
User Scimitar passed and it was posted that it was self inflicted, but I am in no position to verify these claims. Sad day for the board no matter what happened.
htxag09
AG
Ragoo said:

I rode my bike for over 3 hours on my trainer in my closet yesterday. There is no way I am risking getting out on the roads.

Everyone ****ing hates everyone else and it ****ing sucks. What ever happened to being kind to your fellow man?

Yep. I did 105 miles yesterday, the majority of it on the picnic loop. Boring as hell. Even there, I was almost hit, had to veer off the road, luckily I was near a parking area I could turn into and not a ditch.
chico
AG
htxag09 said:

Ragoo said:

Yep. I did 105 miles yesterday, the majority of it on the picnic loop. Boring as hell. Even there, I was almost hit, had to veer off the road, luckily I was near a parking area I could turn into and not a ditch.

Dude- check my previous post end of page 3. Much better options to rack up miles in town. Seriously check out: Clinton from Jensen to Wayside. Armour and Harvey Wilson. I did a century along there last year and maybe saw five cars all day. The roads are very smooth
htxag09
AG
Well thankfully it was my last long ride. Taper starts for IMTX. But I'll check it out and log it in the garmin for future reference.

I will say I do like the bayou trails and picnic loop because I live about a mile from there. So easy to stop by the house halfway through the ride to refresh my water and nutrition. But with white oak bayou closed from around Antoine north, a good chunk of my normal route was gone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.