Houston
Sponsored by

Question for cyclists

23,577 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
lexofer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure exactly how the law works as far as arresting him on site. They probably could have but him being 16 he'd be out anyway. Even if he wasn't a minor he'd probably be bonded out by now. Arresting him at the scene really doesn't provide any practical benefit unless you think he's a flight risk or going to commit more crimes.

Just FYI I'm not trying to defend anyone, I don't even like my neighbors, I've barely even talked to them. I'm not sure exactly who the driver is. The mom talked **** about me on the Waller County News Facebook page before I ever met her about my Wildlife Tax Exemption. I politely explained my exemption to her and she blocked me. I have to get on my wife's Facebook account to see what she's written. I just follow Waller County news closely and especially the cycling drama.

I don't think there was any way he could have driven away. From the pics he at least busted his radiator, looks like there might be transmission fluid on the ground as well. I can't find the full pic I saw earlier to showed the fluids clearly but there's a cropped version here and a more wide angle you can see the coolant.

Sea Speed
AG
Story time about the Karen neighbor complaining about you online.
CDUB98
AG
Also realize, the Waller County Sheriff hates cyclists.

His attitude towards them is well known, and it was, I think, the Bluebonnet Express in 2016, a charity ride, where one officer was controlling the intersection, waving cyclists through, then another was immediately pulling them over for running a red light.

Yes, it was that blatant. It was dubbed the "Ticketathon."

After this incident, most everyone I know will boycott Waller county. We mostly were anyway, but the stragglers, like me, are now all-in. It's really sad too. Because of the general hate out there, lots of businesses are losing money. We stop in convenience stores to buy snacks and refills. We eat at restaurants in Bellville, stop at the Bucees. So, the small businesses hurt, and they also lose tax revenue.
CDUB98
AG
lexofer said:

I don't think there was any way he could have driven away. From the pics he at least busted his radiator, looks like there might be transmission fluid on the ground as well. I can't find the full pic I saw earlier to showed the fluids clearly but there's a cropped version here and a more wide angle you can see the coolant.

I'm not certain, but I think Ford uses a redish color coolant from the factory, and the truck looks less than 10 years old.

There could also be trans cooler bust.

Who knows.
HtownAg92
AG
Sea Speed said:

Yes. Trespass by fire.

Yall realize he wasn't talking about shooting at or over the cyclists, but in the vicinity of them and the report from the gun is what scared them, not getting peppered. If I am wrong, correct me, but that is how I read it.
This is correct -- the report made Lance and Eddie shart their spandex. We never fired at cyclists. If they get peppered by collateral lead, it is unintentional.
HtownAg92
AG
CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

CDUB98 said:

As a gun owner, I've heard shots many times out riding. Never bothers me.

Only time I would get worried is if I ever heard a bullet whiz by me, and thankfully, that has never happened.
This was always shotguns, so the only danger would be an occasional peppering.

That's still quite suboptimal and could hurt, or injure.
Never intentional, just like it isn't when I get dusted by my buddy across the field.

I guess hunters, just like drivers, pedestrians, dog walkers, traffic law obeyers, and everyone else, need to yield to cyclists too?

See, we could have had a decent discussion, and then you had to be a bit of an asshat with the last line.

If reasonable, just try not to shoot in their direction if you see them. Kind of like you would for other hunters, if I recall safety correctly.
What fun is that?

chico
AG
CDUB98 said:

Because of the general hate out there, lots of businesses are losing money. We stop in convenience stores to buy snacks and refills. We eat at restaurants in Bellville, stop at the Bucees. So, the small businesses hurt, and they also lose tax revenue.
A few years ago, not the current sheriff, wouldn't allow his deputies to work intersections during MS150. I believe the MS150 officials met with county leaders and sheriff's office explaining the financial benefits in detail that you're describing. They outlined real dollar benefit to Waller County that MS150 brought to their community (hotels, convenience stores, restaurants, gas stations) and the sheriff wouldn't budge. They had to bring in deputies from outside the county (I would imagine at higher cost, meaning less money to MS charity) to work the Waller County intersections.
CDUB98
AG
Well, the ******* is getting his way. Many of us are out of there.
Jock 07
AG
CDUB98 said:

Lemme guess, Jock 07 being his usual turd self?

Nope, but glad to know I'm in your head.
chico
AG
CDUB98 said:

Well, the ******* is getting his way. Many of us are out of there.
"If a cyclist today wanted to find a country road that is like the way it was in Waller County 10-15 years ago, they would have to go farther outside of Houston to find that (far beyond Waller County)"
Waller County Judge Duhon posted this last night on Facebook. True-but not exactly welcoming.
WES2006AG
AG
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/amp/waller-bicyclists-hit-truck-teen-driver-ironman-16490862.php?__twitter_impression=true

Looking more and more like Waller is going to paint this as unfortunate incident of boys being boys and not hold this guy accountable.
chico
AG
Facebook rumors that I see, still not refuted:
Kid (or parents) were allowed to drive truck home from the scene, rather than truck towed to police lot.
Kid not tested for drugs/alcohol.
Kid has close relative on Waller city council.

If he hit police officer on side of road, would he still be walking free? What if he hit school children? Construction worker? Why is this case different?
CoachRTM
AG
WES2006AG said:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/amp/waller-bicyclists-hit-truck-teen-driver-ironman-16490862.php?__twitter_impression=true

Looking more and more like Waller is going to paint this as unfortunate incident of boys being boys and not hold this guy accountable.

That's the same article that has already been shared. I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like it's not uncommon for a minor with virtually zero flight risk to not be arrested on the spot and for the police to gather all the information before charging.

Did something happen in the last 24 hours that you're referring to that makes you less confident in charges being brought? If so, I missed it.
htxag09
AG
chico said:

Facebook rumors that I see, still not refuted:
Kid (or parents) were allowed to drive truck home from the scene, rather than truck towed to police lot.
Kid not tested for drugs/alcohol.
Kid has close relative on Waller city council.

If he hit police officer on side of road, would he still be walking free? What if he hit school children? Construction worker? Why is this case different?
Honestly, probably not. I don't know what it is, but we put this protective shield up for people when they're in cars. Not sure if it's because everyone has this sense of "I've driven distracted, that could be me" or what.

Texas lawmakers consider bill named after Missouri City woman killed in a crosswalk in 2017

Quote:

Texas lawmakers considered the Lisa Torry Smith Act on Tuesday, three-and-a-half years after Smith was hit and killed in a crosswalk in Missouri City while walking her son to school.
The 6-year-old kindergartner suffered a broken femur and shattered pelvis in the October 2017 incident.
The driver of the SUV that hit the Smiths was ticketed but not charged criminally and not indicted by a grand jury because the law didn't allow it.
TarponChaser
CDUB98 said:

Sea Speed said:

Shotgun or rifle, a license and the cost of a guided hunt. You could hunt 2 or 3 guided hunts for ducks for less than a grand all in with a used shotgun.

There's also proper clothing required for it to stay warm, which I don't have. And good clothing requires monies.

The wife factor remains though. No more hobbies allowed.

Go teal hunting- shorts, t-shirt, and footwear of choice. I generally wear a pair of lightweight wading boots.
David_Puddy
AG
I used to be an anti cyclist guy like many of you. My opinion changed when I bought my bike right when the pandemic started. Almost all of the people on bikes are following the law and most of them are riding on the trails anyway. The people complaining/honking/etc are usually fat f-cks that don't ever exercise to begin with.

That said, screw Critical Mass.......that is a gigantic clusterf-ck and I wish someone would put a stop to it.
TarponChaser
David_Puddy said:

I used to be an anti cyclist guy like many of you. My opinion changed when I bought my bike right when the pandemic started. Almost all of the people on bikes are following the law and most of them are riding on the trails anyway. The people complaining/honking/etc are usually fat f-cks that don't ever exercise to begin with.

That said, screw Critical Mass.......that is a gigantic clusterf-ck and I wish someone would put a stop to it.

Not a cyclist but I agree with you.

A little common courtesy both ways. If you're in a vehicle, be safe, courteous, and let cyclists do their thing. However, I've also seen a lot of cyclists insist on riding multiple riders abreast of each other and backing up traffic behind them- show a little courtesy and move to single file until the traffic passes.

But, 1000%- fck Critical Mass right in their suckholes.
chico
AG
TarponChaser said:

I've also seen a lot of cyclists insist on riding multiple riders abreast of each other and backing up traffic behind them- show a little courtesy and move to single file until the traffic passes.

If cyclists form single-file, then the line stretches out longer and clogs up intersections longer, adversely affecting drivers and endangering cyclists. We try to get through intersections (at least with whom I ride) as quickly and safely as possible.
rangerdanger
AG
chico said:

TarponChaser said:

I've also seen a lot of cyclists insist on riding multiple riders abreast of each other and backing up traffic behind them- show a little courtesy and move to single file until the traffic passes.

If cyclists form single-file, then the line stretches out longer and clogs up intersections longer, adversely affecting drivers and endangering cyclists. We try to get through intersections (at least with whom I ride) as quickly and safely as possible.

Depends where it's at. I hate when bicyclists spread out on suburban/rural FM roads where the speed limit is 60mph, and it's a one lane two-way street.
chico
AG
rangerdanger said:

chico said:

TarponChaser said:

Depends where it's at. I hate when bicyclists spread out on suburban/rural FM roads where the speed limit is 60mph, and it's a one lane two-way street.
I ride in the big city, so unsure....I do know if you ride on the far right, then you're in danger of being clipped as a car passes you; also your side-to-side options become limited when the car passes and you might be forced riding over dangerous conditions (mud, debris). What I do, is ride in the middle of the lane (if on small city neighborhood street), then as car approaches you, venture right as it moves left - creating 2x the space for it to pass you.
CDUB98
AG
David_Puddy said:

Did we just barge into The Twilight Zone?!!
David_Puddy
AG
Huh?
CDUB98
AG
Spread out can be due to different speed groups gapping each other.

Could be a charity ride where you have all kinds of fustercluck in general.

Could be people getting dropped as the group they tried to go out with was too fast for them.

None of it is meant to be a-holes to drivers.

As for two-line versus single file. There are some Texas rules around it, but as chico kind of already mentioned, it's sometimes safer for us to take the whole lane and force a car to pass clearly rather than try to skirt by us with only a foot to spare.

BUT, **** those Critical Mass ****sticks!!
CDUB98
AG
David_Puddy said:

Huh?

What do you mean huh?

You were one of the bigger anti-cyclist doooooshbags on here for while, IIRC.

I'm just a bit in shock.
txags92
AG
TarponChaser said:

David_Puddy said:

Not a cyclist but I agree with you.

A little common courtesy both ways. If you're in a vehicle, be safe, courteous, and let cyclists do their thing. However, I've also seen a lot of cyclists insist on riding multiple riders abreast of each other and backing up traffic behind them- show a little courtesy and move to single file until the traffic passes.

But, 1000%- fck Critical Mass right in their suckholes.
Yeah, there are alot of factors that go into when it is appropriate to ride single file or in a double line, on the shoulder, in the lane, etc. I really wish the folks who are so hardcore anti-cyclist could come out and ride in a group ride just once to see how much most of them try to avoid being a nuisance to traffic, and try to ride in a way that is safest for the riders, while being as considerate as possible for the drivers around them.

One example is the NW Cycling Club rides that go out of Zube Park in Waller. They break themselves into groups by speed, and in the past, it was not uncommon for one group to have 40+ riders in it. In Waller, given many of the narrow two lane roads, it is generally not safe for a car to try to pass a cyclist without having to move over into the oncoming lane. So if all the cyclists in a 40+ person group were riding single file along the far right side of the road, they would do one of two things. Ether the line would be so long, it would be impossible for the car to see far enough ahead to move over and pass safely, or they would be tempted to try to stay within the same lane as the riders and pass them in an unsafe manner. So the NWCC rides generally ride as a double paceline taking most of the lane. This does two things...it cuts the length of the line the cars have to pass in half to make it easier for them to see and get past the line of riders, and it occupies enough of the lane that a motorist is not tempted to pass in a way that is unsafe.

Same thing when it comes to stop signs. If every single rider in a group stopped at the stop sign individually in a single file line and put their foot on the ground before proceeding, one after the other, any car stuck behind them would lose their mind with how long it would take to get through the stop sign. But if the group rides up and lets the leaders call out whether it is clear to proceed and most of the cyclists roll through behind them if it is clear, it is quicker for anybody stuck behind the group. But anybody seeing it would likely be running to Texags to post about the group of 40 cyclists they saw blow through a stop sign.

I am with the previous poster in that I despise Critical Mass. They are a blight on the cycling community and do nothing but generate animosity between cyclists and drivers. I wish those who lump all cyclists into one basket could see how many times many of us are out there yelling at the one or two idiots to move over and let cars pass, or "share the road". It really is a fairly small subset of riders that give most of us the bad image in the eyes of those prone to hating on cyclists, but at some point, there is very little we can do as a cycling community to force individuals to ride the way most of us do.

The one thing I would wish for is that every parent who is among the anti-cyclist crew would control themselves in how they express that when their kids are around. I get that alot of it is just trolling or typical Texags schtick for laughs, and I am fine with that. But as adults, you presumably recognize that expressing yourselves like that on a message board is different than harassing cyclists at high speed while driving a several thousand pound vehicle. I say that because this 16 year old kid in Waller didn't just decide to do this on his own. He learned his scorn for cyclists and the desire to harass them repeatedly from somebody. As a 16 year old, he didn't have the emotional control to hold back his desire to do it, and it ended in tragedy and now his life will likely never be the same. Even if his city council relative manages to get him off from any serious consequences from the PD, they likely won't be able to shield his family from serious financial consequences when the rider's attorneys get through suing them. And it all could have been avoided if he had been taught to view cyclists as people with families and kids instead of objects of scorn.
Sea Speed
AG
It doesn't matter how much you do to lessen the impact to people who don't think you should be there in the first place
CDUB98
AG
Sea Speed said:

It doesn't matter how much you do to lessen the impact to people who don't think you should be there in the first place

Yup. Blue parachute for you.
chico
AG
txags92 said:

Yeah, there are alot of factors that go into when it is appropriate to ride single file or in a double line, on the shoulder, in the lane, etc. I really wish the folks who are so hardcore anti-cyclist could come out and ride in a group ride just once to see how much most of them try to avoid being a nuisance to traffic, and try to ride in a way that is safest for the riders, while being as considerate as possible for the drivers around them.

One example is the NW Cycling Club rides that go out of Zube Park in Waller. They break themselves into groups by speed, and in the past, it was not uncommon for one group to have 40+ riders in it. In Waller, given many of the narrow two lane roads, it is generally not safe for a car to try to pass a cyclist without having to move over into the oncoming lane. So if all the cyclists in a 40+ person group were riding single file along the far right side of the road, they would do one of two things. Ether the line would be so long, it would be impossible for the car to see far enough ahead to move over and pass safely, or they would be tempted to try to stay within the same lane as the riders and pass them in an unsafe manner. So the NWCC rides generally ride as a double paceline taking most of the lane. This does two things...it cuts the length of the line the cars have to pass in half to make it easier for them to see and get past the line of riders, and it occupies enough of the lane that a motorist is not tempted to pass in a way that is unsafe.

Same thing when it comes to stop signs. If every single rider in a group stopped at the stop sign individually in a single file line and put their foot on the ground before proceeding, one after the other, any car stuck behind them would lose their mind with how long it would take to get through the stop sign. But if the group rides up and lets the leaders call out whether it is clear to proceed and most of the cyclists roll through behind them if it is clear, it is quicker for anybody stuck behind the group. But anybody seeing it would likely be running to Texags to post about the group of 40 cyclists they saw blow through a stop sign.

I am with the previous poster in that I despise Critical Mass. They are a blight on the cycling community and do nothing but generate animosity between cyclists and drivers. I wish those who lump all cyclists into one basket could see how many times many of us are out there yelling at the one or two idiots to move over and let cars pass, or "share the road". It really is a fairly small subset of riders that give most of us the bad image in the eyes of those prone to hating on cyclists, but at some point, there is very little we can do as a cycling community to force individuals to ride the way most of us do.

The one thing I would wish for is that every parent who is among the anti-cyclist crew would control themselves in how they express that when their kids are around. I get that alot of it is just trolling or typical Texags schtick for laughs, and I am fine with that. But as adults, you presumably recognize that expressing yourselves like that on a message board is different than harassing cyclists at high speed while driving a several thousand pound vehicle. I say that because this 16 year old kid in Waller didn't just decide to do this on his own. He learned his scorn for cyclists and the desire to harass them repeatedly from somebody. As a 16 year old, he didn't have the emotional control to hold back his desire to do it, and it ended in tragedy and now his life will likely never be the same. Even if his city council relative manages to get him off from any serious consequences from the PD, they likely won't be able to shield his family from serious financial consequences when the rider's attorneys get through suing them. And it all could have been avoided if he had been taught to view cyclists as people with families and kids instead of objects of scorn.
Blue Star post
chico
AG
"Same thing when it comes to stop signs. If every single rider in a group stopped at the stop sign individually in a single file line and put their foot on the ground before proceeding, one after the other, any car stuck behind them would lose their mind with how long it would take to get through the stop sign"

I read years ago, San Francisco changed policy to force cyclists to stop at every stop sign like you're saying. So they did, purposely stopping, foot on ground, proceeding 1-at-a-time. Traffic got so clogged that the police had to rescind the instructions to let things go back to the way they were....
agnerd
AG
I was actually considering moving out to Waller County because Harris County won't enforce laws, and I don't want to live in a place where crime goes deliberately unpunished. Looks like Waller County Sheriff is trying to turn Waller into Houston. I guess that's what Waller county voters want. It's just not for me. I guess Montgomery is the only option left.
chico
AG
"The one thing I would wish for is that every parent who is among the anti-cyclist crew would control themselves in how they express that when their kids are around."

Several years ago I took my wife out around town on the bike as she wanted to enjoy cycling. We were on a road with signs stating "Bike Route". Some jerk tried to run us both off the road. I sped up to him at the light to vent/explain. He rolled down his passenger window, leaned over his 10-12 year old kid in the passenger seat, to say that I needed to get my as-s off the road, then rolled his window back up. I've often wondered what ever happened to that kid.
wessimo
AG
txags92
AG
Sea Speed said:

I could say that about hundreds of things that annoy me in life. There is a difference between being annoyed by it and wanting to act on it. They can believe we don't belong on the road all they want (they are wrong, but they can believe it), but when it comes to teaching their kids it is ok to harass and endanger other people while behind the wheel of a car or truck, that is wrong all the time.
WES2006AG
AG
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/waller-bicyclists-hit-truck-teen-driver-attorney-16496230.php

From the loser driver's lawyer:
Quote:

"My client is a young man in high school with college aspirations. He's a very new and inexperienced driver. This was a serious accident but did not involve any criminal intent. He immediately called 911, helped with the injured and cooperated with police. The family prays for the speedy recovery of the riders involved and we look forward to cooperating with investigators."
Sea Speed
AG
I'm not making excuses for anyone or advocating for harm, just fyi. I'm simply pointing out what people who are anti cyclists are going to think about all of the things that the previous posters group does.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.