Houston
Sponsored by

Question for cyclists

23,580 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought the same thing. Lawyers love to hear themselves talk, guess they enjoy reading their own stuff too. This mess doesn't need any dramatization.
HtownAg92
AG
Just another anecdote to add to the discussion / debate:

This morning at 7:30, Lance in full maillot jaune riding in the left, inner lane on Yale, in vicinity of Harvard Elementary.

Anyone who rides in the left lane on a busy street near a busy school at rush hour / school drop off time is nothing but a colossal *****.
chico
AG
How do you want him to turn left at the intersection, from the right hand lane?
txags92
AG
HtownAg92 said:

This morning at 7:30, Lance in full maillot jaune riding in the left, inner lane on Yale, in vicinity of Harvard Elementary.

Anyone who rides in the left lane on a busy street near a busy school at rush hour / school drop off time is nothing but a colossal *****.
I was driving to the store yesterday and saw a car roll a stop sign. At least half of the people on the road were not using their turn signals either. It was horrifying. Hope that adds to the discussion too...
htxag09
AG
Should've just ran him over, he deserved it. That's what I did to the car in front of me going 25 mph on the I-10 entrance ramp this morning.
HtownAg92
AG
chico said:

He wasn't turning. He was joy riding / training for the Tour de France and causing traffic because F everyone else, he's going to show everyone how awesome he is.
drumboy
AG
HtownAg92 said:

I bike often either on my ebike going to bars very close to this area or mountain biking so I take bike safety seriously, but I had French dude call me out in the Harvard drop off line last week.

He had his kid on a Copilot riding slow AF in the middle of the skinny road (Cortlandt) with street parking, took forever at a stop sign, and when he took off I slowly passed him giving him plenty of room. I then saw a prime parking spot so I pulled in just after the pass and when I was getting the kids out he told me that I really cut him off and how he has right of way. I wasn't being a **** passing him closely rolling coal and basically idled past him.

We had a little chat but I don't think we'll be doing playdates.

AndesAg92
AG
txags92 said:

HtownAg92 said:

I was driving to the store yesterday and saw a car roll a stop sign. At least half of the people on the road were not using their turn signals either. It was horrifying. Hope that adds to the discussion too...

txags92
AG
HtownAg92 said:

chico said:

He wasn't turning. He was joy riding / training for the Tour de France and causing traffic because F everyone else, he's going to show everyone how awesome he is.
Guess what, the reason some people ride their bikes in the wrong lane, or run stop signs is the same reason people in cars switch lanes and cut people off without using turn signals or drive slow in the left lane. They are narcissistic f-sticks. That doesn't give anybody the right to run over them, or to harass anybody else on the road that looks like them.
HtownAg92
AG
txags92 said:

HtownAg92 said:

chico said:

Guess what, the reason some people ride their bikes in the wrong lane, or run stop signs is the same reason people in cars switch lanes and cut people off without using turn signals or drive slow in the left lane. They are narcissistic f-sticks. That doesn't give anybody the right to run over them, or to harass anybody else on the road that looks like them.
You miss the point -- this guy (you?) decided to impede rush hour / school traffic on a major road used by parents to get to the school. Ever been to the Heights? There are about 100 roads not named Yale or Heights and not near an elementary school to ride on at the heart of school drop off time. There is also White Oak, Memorial Park and all sorts of other places where you can ride without being a deek. There is also a right lane that you can ride in when you can't do the speed limit.
Sea Speed
AG
HtownAg92 said:

txags92 said:

HtownAg92 said:

chico said:

this guy (you?)
chico
AG
So you are upset this guy slowed you down during school drop off hours in an Elementary school zone?
Sea Speed
AG
Do you even cyclist beef? 70% of the complaints are about being slowed down by them. Then 20% about the disobeying of traffic laws and the remaining 10% about their spandex.
Jock 07
AG
txags92 said:

They are narcissistic f-sticks.

This is correct, and why critical mass is so popular amongst bi-cyclers.
drumboy
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Also WTF was he on Yale? There's a huge bike lane on Heights....well unless it's trash day and then it's blocked by trash cans.
CDUB98
AG
Jock 07 said:

txags92 said:

They are narcissistic f-sticks.

This is correct, and why critical mass is so popular amongst bi-cyclers.

No, Critical Mass is not popular among cyclists.

It's popular with Marxist ass clowns who want to destroy society, and they simply found a different outlet to throw a temper tantrum about their pathetic lives.

Maybe, MAYBE, one day some of you people will realize there is a difference between a cyclist (hobby) and a person who just rides a bicycle randomly.
chico
AG
drumboy said:

Also WTF was he on Yale? There's a huge bike lane on Heights....well unless it's trash day and then it's blocked by trash cans.
Maybe he remembered David Loya, the cyclist run over and killed by HISD school bus on Heights Blvd at 8th. There's a ghost bike at the location.
LRHF
AG
chico said:

drumboy said:

Maybe he remembered David Loya, the cyclist run over and killed by HISD school bus on Heights Blvd at 8th. There's a ghost bike at the location.

Would love to have somebody tell me why David shouldn't have been riding at this intersection...

Loved riding bikes in and around Houston. The East Side was one of my favorite places to ride. The East Side folks move at a slower pace and seemed to be much more respectful.
txags92
AG
HtownAg92 said:

txags92 said:

HtownAg92 said:

chico said:

You miss the point -- this guy (you?) decided to impede rush hour / school traffic on a major road used by parents to get to the school. Ever been to the Heights? There are about 100 roads not named Yale or Heights and not near an elementary school to ride on at the heart of school drop off time. There is also White Oak, Memorial Park and all sorts of other places where you can ride without being a deek. There is also a right lane that you can ride in when you can't do the speed limit.
No, you are missing the point. We could go back and forth all day long swapping stories of *******s on bikes versus *******s driving cars, both of which are breaking the law and annoying the crap out of both of us. The bottom line reality is that I am not angry at all drivers who ever drive on the highway with me because of how some drivers choose to act, but you and many others are going to treat every cyclist you ever see on the road as if they are that one ******nozzle you saw that one time (or many times) who was an a-hole and made you slow down. You need to get beyond this whole concept that every cyclist is the same person who pissed you off by making you look up from your phone and slow down for some brief period of time.

No, it wasn't me...I don't live down where the streets are crowded and the presence of a bicycle can send me into a tizzy worthy of posting on Texags. And I wouldn't ride the crowded streets there on a bike if I did. And for the other poster, I will echo what CDUB said, I HATE critical mass. Those f-sticks have done more to antagonize motorists than every other cyclist in Houston combined. I would outlaw them and arrest them if I could. I very much want to see a relationship of mutual respect between cyclists and motorists, and I don't think sending hundreds of bikes out to stop traffic and harass motorists is the way to accomplish that.

Narcissists are everywhere, on bikes, in cars, jogging, pushing carts at the store, etc. But the only place we seem to assume everybody is that kind of narcissist is when people see somebody on a bike. And unfortunately, like in Waller, that attitude leads to people thinking it is ok to harass all cyclists until some of them end up severely injured or dead.
chico
AG
LRHF said:

chico said:

drumboy said:

Would love to have somebody tell me why David shouldn't have been riding at this intersection...

Loved riding bikes in and around Houston. The East Side was one of my favorite places to ride. The East Side folks move at a slower pace and seemed to be much more respectful.
You're right about the east side. I ride about 200 miles/month, almost all within 610. Lots to explore on the east side and the streets are usually quieter. Lately I've been doing miles along the new viaduct, Clinton, Armour and Harvey Wilson - those streets are practically empty on weekends.
HtownAg92
AG
txags92 said:

HtownAg92 said:

txags92 said:

HtownAg92 said:

chico said:

No, you are missing the point. We could go back and forth all day long swapping stories of *******s on bikes versus *******s driving cars, both of which are breaking the law and annoying the crap out of both of us. The bottom line reality is that I am not angry at all drivers who ever drive on the highway with me because of how some drivers choose to act, but you and many others are going to treat every cyclist you ever see on the road as if they are that one ******nozzle you saw that one time (or many times) who was an a-hole and made you slow down. You need to get beyond this whole concept that every cyclist is the same person who pissed you off by making you look up from your phone and slow down for some brief period of time.

No, it wasn't me...I don't live down where the streets are crowded and the presence of a bicycle can send me into a tizzy worthy of posting on Texags. And I wouldn't ride the crowded streets there on a bike if I did. And for the other poster, I will echo what CDUB said, I HATE critical mass. Those f-sticks have done more to antagonize motorists than every other cyclist in Houston combined. I would outlaw them and arrest them if I could. I very much want to see a relationship of mutual respect between cyclists and motorists, and I don't think sending hundreds of bikes out to stop traffic and harass motorists is the way to accomplish that.

Narcissists are everywhere, on bikes, in cars, jogging, pushing carts at the store, etc. But the only place we seem to assume everybody is that kind of narcissist is when people see somebody on a bike. And unfortunately, like in Waller, that attitude leads to people thinking it is ok to harass all cyclists until some of them end up severely injured or dead.
I thought I was pretty clearly talking about a particular situation in which a cyclist was a deek based on the time, location and circumstances. Your collective butt-hurt on behalf of all misunderstood cyclists is misplaced here.

And as for the "tizzy worthy of posting on Texags", that's what this thread is about. Sorry my appropriately placed and topical post sent you into a tizzy worthy of writing a diatribe and championing the cause of all of the cyclists / victims who are abused mercilessly and callously by the motor privileged / supremacists.
txags92
AG
HtownAg92 said:

txags92 said:

HtownAg92 said:

txags92 said:

HtownAg92 said:

chico said:

I thought I was pretty clearly talking about a particular situation in which a cyclist was a deek based on the time, location and circumstances. Your collective butt-hurt on behalf of all misunderstood cyclists is misplaced here.

And as for the "tizzy worthy of posting on Texags", that's what this thread is about. Sorry my appropriately placed and topical post sent you into a tizzy worthy of writing a diatribe and championing the cause of all of the cyclists / victims who are abused mercilessly and callously by the motor privileged / supremacists.
The last week or so of discussion on this thread has been about several cyclists that were seriously injured by a teen who was harassing them while they were riding a quiet road in the country where they were not impeding traffic. I think the "questions for cyclists" that were the original topic have been addressed, and the conversation here had mostly moved on to something different. Bringing up an isolated incident of bad behavior doesn't really accomplish anything at this point, does it? Maybe you aren't seeing it, but as a community, Houston cyclists (at least the ones who are engaged on the topic) are really struggling with how to reach some middle ground with drivers and reduce the animosity that is being created by folks like Critical Mass and the random a-holes like the guy you mentioned riding through the Heights. The answer of "get off the road" or "go ride in the park" isn't really helpful or productive.

You were absolutely clear about the fact that your "cyclist sighting" was a one time event of a cyclist doing something stupid. But your post was also the same "yeah but this one time I saw a cyclist do..." type of post that generates lots of blue stars and lots of "yeah, those damn cyclists never follow the rules and should get off the road" type of responses every time the subject comes up. Those are just as pointless as if I posted a thread about stupid motorists and came by to post my story every time I saw one break a law or do something stupid. What exactly does it add to the discussion? We all know some cyclists ride like a-holes. We all know sometimes they hold up traffic unnecessarily. What does telling us one more time that it happened to you add to the discussion?

As a cyclist who doesn't ride like an a-hole and who would like to avoid irritating motorists wherever I can, I just see these posts as more of the same "cyclists are bad, we should dislike all of them" attitude that has infected places like Waller county and made it so a 16 year old thinks it is ok to assault them. I would love to find a way to fix the problem, but I have no more control over some random guy riding a bike through the Heights than you do over some random kid coal rolling people out in Waller. I just don't see the continued demonization of individuals as representative of the whole to be helpful to either side.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Special prosecutor for Waller Teen

This should spark some fun in Waller.

~egon
txags92
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

Special prosecutor for Waller Teen

This should spark some fun in Waller.

~egon
I can see at least 4 angles on this.

1) The DA knows people in Waller hate cyclists and wants to be re-elected...so doesn't want to be the one responsible for throwing the book at this kid.

2) The DA in Waller has aspirations in politics beyond Waller County, and doesn't want the reputation of being soft on politically connected kids following him around.

3) The DA knows that everybody thinks the kid is politically connected and doesn't want even the appearance that those connections might have swayed his actions.

4) Nobody in Waller County law enforcement or the DA's office wants anything to do with the case, so they punt to a Spec Prosecutor for plausible deniability of responsibility for the outcome.

I am hoping that the BikeLaw guys have been inundated with GoPro videos of this kid coal rolling other cyclists in the past that will help the DA get over any "Oh he was just a kid who made one bad decision" claims by the kid's lawyers. Would have been even better if the Waller PD had grabbed his phone at the scene as evidence since the kid claimed he was reaching for it when the accident happened. Bet that phone used to be full of videos of other riders he has coal rolled before he deleted them all a few minutes after he left the scene with his parents instead of in the back of a cop car.
Sea Speed
AG
You are assuming he has coal rolled cyclists before, which I had not seen anyone saying. Everyone DOES have a first time for doing stupid things before they become habitual, and this COULD have been the kids.

This isn't taking his side, just fyi, simply pointing that out. If the fact thatbhe has done this before has been discussed and documented i missed it.
txags92
AG
Sea Speed said:

You are assuming he has coal rolled cyclists before, which I had not seen anyone saying. Everyone DOES have a first time for doing stupid things before they become habitual, and this COULD have been the kids.

This isn't taking his side, just fyi, simply pointing that out. If the fact thatbhe has done this before has been discussed and documented i missed it.
I think the chances that this was his first time to ever coal roll anybody are vanishingly small. But, you are correct that it is possible I guess.
Sea Speed
AG
I was referring to cyclists specifically, honestly. Coal rolling another car doesn't really move the needle past standard delta bravo, but I can see how that would establish a pattern of behavior. I honestly didn't even consider having done it to other vehicles in my statement.
htxag09
AG
Pardon if this is really stupid. But don't you have to modify the truck/computer in order to blow coal and isn't just the act of doing so against regulations?
txags92
AG
I have read that elsewhere, but I don't have any knowledge whether it is actually true.
The Wonderer
AG
htxag09 said:

Pardon if this is really stupid. But don't you have to modify the truck/computer in order to blow coal and isn't just the act of doing so against regulations?
Yes and Yes.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Technically if there is video of them actually rolling coal, you could prosecute them for federal crimes.

But you'd have to try him.

~egon
. . .
https://www.facebook.com/WallerCountyDAEltonMathis/

Bassmaster
AG
txags92 said:

You were absolutely clear about the fact that your "cyclist sighting" was a one time event of a cyclist doing something stupid. But your post was also the same "yeah but this one time I saw a cyclist do..." type of post that generates lots of blue stars and lots of "yeah, those damn cyclists never follow the rules and should get off the road" type of responses every time the subject comes up. Those are just as pointless as if I posted a thread about stupid motorists and came by to post my story every time I saw one break a law or do something stupid. What exactly does it add to the discussion? We all know some cyclists ride like a-holes. We all know sometimes they hold up traffic unnecessarily. What does telling us one more time that it happened to you add to the discussion?

As a cyclist who doesn't ride like an a-hole and who would like to avoid irritating motorists wherever I can, I just see these posts as more of the same "cyclists are bad, we should dislike all of them" attitude that has infected places like Waller county and made it so a 16 year old thinks it is ok to assault them. I would love to find a way to fix the problem, but I have no more control over some random guy riding a bike through the Heights than you do over some random kid coal rolling people out in Waller. I just don't see the continued demonization of individuals as representative of the whole to be helpful to either side.
Problem is that it isn't an isolated incident. I'm sure most people who are anti-cyclist have had similar experiences and do so pretty regularly. My neighborhood is used as a riding destination by a high volume of spandex dorks and I could share similar stories on a weekly basis.
Sea Speed
AG
Sounds very reasonable.
txags92
AG
Bassmaster said:

txags92 said:

Problem is that it isn't an isolated incident. I'm sure most people who are anti-cyclist have had similar experiences and do so pretty regularly. My neighborhood is used as a riding destination by a high volume of spandex dorks and I could share similar stories on a weekly basis.
Ok, so what. I could share absolutely the same regarding motorists every single time I drive somewhere in my truck. What good would it do for me to rush to Texags to point it out every time it happens? The reality is that probably well over 95% of the "illegal" actions by cyclists and motorists (rolling stop signs, speeding, not signaling a turn, etc.) don't endanger anybody and may result in a few seconds of slowing down for another motorist. As a cyclist who rides safely on quiet roads far west of Houston and obeys the laws, what exactly is it that you expect me to do about a cyclist somewhere in the Heights that didn't ride safely? Why am I expected to answer for that anymore than I would expect you to answer for every dumbass driving 60 in the left lane of I-10 on the way back from San Antonio last night?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.