Houston
Sponsored by

Question for cyclists

23,621 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
Ol_Ag_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's pretty simple usually. Don't lane split and won't be no beef.
AndesAg92
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Cruising on memorial between chimney rock and Voss. It's two lanes. A cyclist hugging the right shoulder while passing a sign that says bicycles prohibited on the roadway. I have to meander over into the on coming lane to pass the guy. A solid sidewalk on both sides of the street on this stretch.

I have been ticketed before when I had a gathering at my house and had cars blocking the sidewalk because it's a "hike and bike path".

Just don't see a solution to that situation other than don't bike on the GD road when it says not to!
AndesAg92
AG
AndesAg92 said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Cruising on memorial between chimney rock and Voss. It's two lanes. A cyclist hugging the right shoulder while passing a sign that says bicycles prohibited on the roadway. I have to meander over into the on coming lane to pass the guy. A solid sidewalk on both sides of the street on this stretch.

I have been ticketed before when I had a gathering at my house and had cars blocking the sidewalk because it's a "hike and bike path".

Just don't see a solution to that situation other than don't bike on the GD road when it says not to!

Also this came to mind after reading this thread lol

https://dai.ly/x3vlb9z

Edit bc I suck at posting links/videos
Hammerly High Dive Crips
I regularly break laws in my F-150 and on my Haro 29" BMX Cruiser.

Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Cynic
This is like the fireworks thread on neighborhood apps.

The bigger problem is men who can't park a truck. This city is full of these idiots.
agnerd
AG
txags92 said:

The pedestrians who live there have persuaded the parks to in effect ban bikes from riding on the "bike path" in Terry Hershey Park by enacting a blanket 10 mph speed limit, and writing tickets for violations that are more expensive than driving 55 through a school zone, and can't be eliminated via taking defensive driving.
Yep, that pissed me off the last time I was there. They could've instead punished the bikes that failed to yield to oncoming traffic instead of punishing the people that weren't the problem. But why solve the problem by enforcing an existing rule when you can take credit for making a new rule?
drumboy
AG
I thought Terry Hersey 10mph limit was only when passing pedestrians?
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
txags92
AG
drumboy said:

I thought Terry Hersey 10mph limit was only when passing pedestrians?
Nope. It used to be, but late last year they changed it to 10 mph at all times. It was Raddack's final FU to cyclists on his way out of office after a long career doing whatever he could to screw over cyclists.
ATM9000
AG
agnerd said:

txags92 said:

The pedestrians who live there have persuaded the parks to in effect ban bikes from riding on the "bike path" in Terry Hershey Park by enacting a blanket 10 mph speed limit, and writing tickets for violations that are more expensive than driving 55 through a school zone, and can't be eliminated via taking defensive driving.
Yep, that pissed me off the last time I was there. They could've instead punished the bikes that failed to yield to oncoming traffic instead of punishing the people that weren't the problem. But why solve the problem by enforcing an existing rule when you can take credit for making a new rule?

When I lived in the area, I either ran or biked the trail daily. I was out of the area for about a month and a half and had a unique experience of leaving the area prior to Covid and coming back in the middle of lockdown. Day after I returned, I jumped on my bike around 5:00 and was shocked at the amount of pedestrians out and about on the trail at the time probably due to not having anywhere else to go especially between the Dairy Ashford and Memorial leg. From that point on, I kept my rides to mid-day until I moved a few months ago.

I only say that because I get it from a safety standpoint during rush hour and have no doubt the rule was a direct result of the new foot traffic on the trail. What probably would have been ideal is to enact the rule during the parks rush hour only or something vs all the time.
Martin Q. Blank
txags92 said:

Bigballin said:

txags92 said:

Bigballin said:

rules for thee (driver) but no for me (cyclist)
Yeah, those drivers follow ALL the rules, ALL the time. Never seen one ever not follow the rules, have you?
Cyclist run through more red lights and stop signs per capita.

Try again
Drivers speed more, veer out of their lanes more, and drive distracted while reading their phones and texting. All of which are far more dangerous than a cyclist rolling a stop sign. Your turn to try again...
I would love for cyclists to speed more. Instead they selfishly hold up traffic all so they can get a good workout in.
drumboy
AG
Speaking of cyclists, has anyone been to Rockstar Energy Bike park off 45N? Great free place and enclosed so kids can ride by themselves between areas. I've done the dirt jumps and urban features a little as well as the BMX race track during practices. Not F'ing with the bowls yet.

FYI road cyclists wouldn't have fun.

Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

chico
AG
avid cyclist here -
I ride mostly near northside, inner-loop ship channel and east end along with Houston Ave to/from work. I invite fellow cyclists to give Clinton (Jensen to Wayside), Armour and Harvey Wilson streets a try. Very long, smooth and almost without cars on weekends. I record video front/back that has come in handy several times (dogs, drivers). I do my best to avoid cars, thus the streets I ride. I will turn off streets if cars coming from behind, will wait at lights if cars in vicinity but will cross light if no cars nearby (don't want to get in their way). It's a lot of fun, has kept me in decent shape, and I've learned a tremendous amount about the city exploring it from the seat of a bike.
HtownAg92
AG
It is still kind of annoying, but I don't mind as much when Lance, LeMond and Merxx block road and slow down traffic on weekends. But their should be a law against Tour de France training / dressing during rush hour, school drop off or pick up times, etc. Don't worry, you can still yell at motorists to "share the road" and work on your PB during non-peak times.

My favorite move, which I'm sure the Lances on here will defend, is when some DB blocks a lane without a care, gets passed by the cars he is holding up when they finally get a chance to go around, then lane splits to the front of the line at the red light to start the whole d-head process over again.
AndesAg92
AG
HtownAg92 said:

It is still kind of annoying, but I don't mind as much when Lance, LeMond and Merxx block road and slow down traffic on weekends. But their should be a law against Tour de France training / dressing during rush hour, school drop off or pick up times, etc. Don't worry, you can still yell at motorists to "share the road" and work on your PB during non-peak times.

My favorite move, which I'm sure the Lances on here will defend, is when some DB blocks a lane without a care, gets passed by the cars he is holding up when they finally get a chance to go around, then lane splits to the front of the line at the red light to start the whole d-head process over again.
We share the same viewpoint.
AndesAg92
AG
chico said:

avid cyclist here -
I ride mostly near northside, inner-loop ship channel and east end along with Houston Ave to/from work. I invite fellow cyclists to give Clinton (Jensen to Wayside), Armour and Harvey Wilson streets a try. Very long, smooth and almost without cars on weekends. I record video front/back that has come in handy several times (dogs, drivers). I do my best to avoid cars, thus the streets I ride. I will turn off streets if cars coming from behind, will wait at lights if cars in vicinity but will cross light if no cars nearby (don't want to get in their way). It's a lot of fun, has kept me in decent shape, and I've learned a tremendous amount about the city exploring it from the seat of a bike.

Thank you. This is how all cyclists should think in my opinion.
HotardAg07
AG
My biggest annoyance with cyclists as a cyclist is the inherent selfishness that so many people have, which to me manifests itself into needing to maintain 20 mph or 300W regardless of the circumstances around them. It's as almost if braking and slowing down to safely pass or give proper heads up to a couple walking their dog or someone with small kids on the trail is too much to ask. I've had so many close calls of cyclists trying to split the gap where there was none or doing other absurd things, all in avoidance of slowing down and doing a more safe maneuver. It also doesn't hurt to actually notify the person you're passing that you're coming up, which can avoid a lot of near-misses and accidents alone.

However, that same exact sentiment could hold for drivers. In the grand scheme of things, having to slow down momentarily to allow you to safely pass a bicycle might slow you down 1-2 minutes from your route. However, that seems to be too much to ask for some people, which results often in road rage and dangerous behavior.

My biggest annoyance with pedestrians on MUPs like Terry Hershey is their complete cluelessness with regards to the fact that they're sharing the trail with bikes. Letting dogs and little kids meander across the path, walking 4-5 people wide leaving no room for someone to pass, etc. Since I live off of Terry Hershey, I always tell my kids to stick to the grass or the right side of the trail and to be aware of bikes coming in both directions. I keep my dog on my right side in the grass on a short leash.

As for why all this stupid safety stuff matters to me...

My coworker died while riding his bike on a 2 lane road. He was riding on the shoulder, a car was next to him, and another car was trying to pass on a curved road. When another car came the other direction, the offending car moved back into his lane, which pushed the car properly in the lane into the biker and the biker died. Left two young kids and his wife. Very sad.
txags92
AG
ATM9000 said:

agnerd said:

txags92 said:

When I lived in the area, I either ran or biked the trail daily. I was out of the area for about a month and a half and had a unique experience of leaving the area prior to Covid and coming back in the middle of lockdown. Day after I returned, I jumped on my bike around 5:00 and was shocked at the amount of pedestrians out and about on the trail at the time probably due to not having anywhere else to go especially between the Dairy Ashford and Memorial leg. From that point on, I kept my rides to mid-day until I moved a few months ago.

I only say that because I get it from a safety standpoint during rush hour and have no doubt the rule was a direct result of the new foot traffic on the trail. What probably would have been ideal is to enact the rule during the parks rush hour only or something vs all the time.
I totally get the safety aspect of it, and if they wanted to get really hard core about the unsafe passing in the segment between Hw6 and Beltway 8, I would be on board with that. But setting the speed limit west of Highway 6 to 10 mph is ridiculous. Particularly from the cop shop down the equestrian parking area, there are almost no pedestrians, and the ones that do go down there have a huge wide gravel road to walk on beside the paved path. Setting a 10 mph speed limit out there is what made it clear to me that the goal was just to eliminate cyclists from the parks entirely.
LostInLA07
AG
DeLaHonta
AG
I only break traffic laws so out of shape motorists will slow down on their rush hour commute to appreciate that my bike cost more than their car/truck.
chico
AG
AndesAg92 said:

chico said:

avid cyclist here -

Thank you. This is how all cyclists should think in my opinion.
it's not all fun & games. Good friend of mine (wearing a helmet) had a titanium plate put in his skull after a truck ran through a sign and hit him several years ago. Another friend had his ankle broken after a truck clipped him. Keep your eyes open for the all white "ghost bikes" around town; these are places where cyclists have been killed riding their bikes.

Myself - I take up the right lane, never hug the curb (full of mud, car parts, glass). When a car approaches from behind, look at him & stick your arm out. As they slow and move around you, then veer right towards the curb to create double the passing space. I'm just trying to ride safely and get home to my family after exercising or running errands.

I've talked with drivers who have passed me too close. Never mind that I have blinking red lights front & back and wear neon colors. One old man claimed he didn't see me because he was busy listening to George Jones on the radio. Another woman was on her way to church and didn't realize I was there but she sincerely regretted coming so close. The craziest was a father-of-the-year candidate driver who yelled over his young son that I should get my a-s-s off the road; of course, this was right next to a road sign that said "bike route".

Let's all have a bit of patience with each other and smile like I try to do. There's plenty of room for everyone.
HotardAg07
AG
txags92 said:

ATM9000 said:

agnerd said:

txags92 said:

I totally get the safety aspect of it, and if they wanted to get really hard core about the unsafe passing in the segment between Hw6 and Beltway 8, I would be on board with that. But setting the speed limit west of Highway 6 to 10 mph is ridiculous. Particularly from the cop shop down the equestrian parking area, there are almost no pedestrians, and the ones that do go down there have a huge wide gravel road to walk on beside the paved path. Setting a 10 mph speed limit out there is what made it clear to me that the goal was just to eliminate cyclists from the parks entirely.
I have been cycling that area multiple times a week for months and had no issues going 15+ mph.
drumboy
AG
HotardAg07 said:

txags92 said:

ATM9000 said:

agnerd said:

txags92 said:

I have been cycling that area multiple times a week for months and had no issues going 15+ mph.
I'm in the Anthills group on FB and several of them got tickets in a short period. Maybe the cops moved on.

A group bike ride filling the trails going as slow as humanly possible would be pretty funny.

htxag09
AG
Multiple people from multiple different groups have told me they cops are out there and giving tickets for going over 10 mph. A few weeks ago I was on white oak bayou and an older guy asked me for directions, where all the trail went, etc. He said he normally road Hershey but had to start coming to white oak because he got a ticket.
Ragoo
AG
I still think the city need to open the 290 HOV to cyclists every weekend.

Park and ride at the Nw station all the way into the Nw transit center by the galleria completely protected from vehicles.
lancevance
Ragoo said:

Park and ride at the Nw station all the way into the Nw transit center by the galleria completely protected from vehicles.

And post a sign that between Antoine and 34th you are on your own.
drumboy
AG
Ragoo said:

Wear earplugs cause being in the middle of a freeway is not quiet.

Ragoo
AG
lancevance said:

Ragoo said:

i just be missing something. That section of the HOV is still within the concrete median.
Ragoo
AG
drumboy said:

Ragoo said:

Wear earplugs cause being in the middle of a freeway is not quiet.
5am - noon Saturday and Sunday should not be an issue I wouldn't think.
HotardAg07
AG
I've literally never seen it, but I do normally stay west of Hwy 6 in the George Bush Park stretch and I also am very courteous and careful passing pedestrians when I do encounter them. Honestly there are bikers on those trails daily that are going 18+ mph that I would love to see get tickets. East of Hwy6 and West of BW8 I control my speed much more and slow down around pedestrians. Normally average 12 mph through those stretches when I do them.
txags92
AG
HotardAg07 said:

txags92 said:

ATM9000 said:

agnerd said:

txags92 said:

Yeah, I think the attention of the constables writing tickets has been focused east of Hwy 6, but the signs exist all the way to Fry, and there is nothing to keep them from writing the same ticket out there. I know at least 2 that have gotten tickets east of Hwy 6.
rilloaggie
AG
My office building overlooks the dam and bridge over the bayou at 6. It's slowed a fair amount from when they first changed the speed limit but I'd see the constable on a gator several times per week. Never saw them out much prior to the speed change so I assume that's what they're out doing.

eta: Didn't want this to come across as a "gotcha" or something. Just wanted to point out that not only are they enforcing the rule, the constables are devoting a fair amount of manpower to the issue. I would seem them headed east down Hershey Park or parked right by my building almost daily once the rule changed. Stellar use of resources...
lancevance
Ragoo said:

lancevance said:

Ragoo said:

i just be missing something. That section of the HOV is still within the concrete median.

I follow a stolen bicycle group (where you report your bike stolen) on Facebook. People climb up 3rd and 4th floor balconies to steal bicycles. A concrete median isn't stopping anyone
txags92
AG
lancevance said:

Ragoo said:

lancevance said:

Ragoo said:

I follow a stolen bicycle group (where you report your bike stolen) on Facebook. People climb up 3rd and 4th floor balconies to steal bicycles. A concrete median isn't stopping anyone
I think what he was saying is that the hov runs down the middle of the freeway, so anybody who wants to come out and try to stop a cyclist to rob them or steel their bike is going to have to cross several lanes of traffic to get there, won't have anywhere to hide, and will be doing it in front of a bunch of transtar cameras.
Ragoo
AG
txags92 said:

lancevance said:

Ragoo said:

lancevance said:

Ragoo said:

I think what he was saying is that the hov runs down the middle of the freeway, so anybody who wants to come out and try to stop a cyclist to rob them or steel their bike is going to have to cross several lanes of traffic to get there, won't have anywhere to hide, and will be doing it in front of a bunch of transtar cameras.
my point is really that the HOv lane is a wide and lengthy stretch of roadway with a physical barrier from motorists. Completely unused on the weekends.
txags92
AG
Ragoo said:

txags92 said:

lancevance said:

Ragoo said:

lancevance said:

Ragoo said:

my point is really that the HOv lane is a wide and lengthy stretch of roadway with a physical barrier from motorists. Completely unused on the weekends.
Yeah, you are talking about safety from motorists, but Lance is talking about safety from thugs jacking cyclists like they have on some of the other MUPs around town.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.