Houston
Sponsored by

Question for cyclists

23,623 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by txags92
chico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gotcha. Good luck with IMTX.

White Oak trail gets so crowded it's frustrating.

You could take the trails along Buffalo bayou through downtown to Jensen and Clinton. . Once east of Lockwood on weekends there is NOBODY on Clinton, Harvey Wilson and Armour. I had a group ride earlier today and went along there to add some miles on the way home. I was the only person I saw in that stretch
dubi
AG
lexofer said:

Cyclists annoy me sometimes but this was on a 4 lane road and it's really easy to pass cyclists there.

That being said I live in Waller and the Sheriff's department just came by my house looking for the neighbors teenage son. Never had them come by before in the 6 years I've lived here, seems like a pretty big coincidence.

Was that your neighbor's black heavy duty truck?
lexofer
AG
Edit: Just found out it was a friend of the neighbors kid that was driving. Guessing the neighbors kid was in the truck at the time if the Sheriffs department wanted to talk to him.
drumboy
AG
CDUB98 said:

drumboy said:

I can't believe nobody has posted that gif of the car plowing through the bike riders.

Because it's an ******* thing to do.

How ****ty of a person are you to celebrate innocent people being run over by a car?
I've never been a fan of that video but I know some here are so shook by critical mass that they celebrate it.
WES2006AG
AG
Any news on charges being filed for the 16 year old yet?
chico
AG
not that I've seen. I'm following fairly closely on a few pertinent facebook groups
chico
AG
I believe Waller County:
1-sheriff wouldn't allow his deputies to work intersections during MS-150
2-deputies would ticket cyclists riding 3 abreast, including if double pace-line leader pulled-off to the back
3-sheriff had another charity ride change their route, and on that ride there was a car/cyclist fatality

edit: "ticket" not "arrest"
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
But the roads are for commerce! Not exercise and entertainment! Surely this kid was on his way to contribute to the gdp, (probably construction or manufacturing hence the need for a tuned up f250) and the cyclists were slowing him down and thereby depriving us all of economic prosperity!!!
lexofer
AG
1 - Yes Sheriff doesn't allow Waller deputies to work cycling events anymore. Lots of residents were complaining and I guess he didn't want to be associated with the rides. Sometimes in the spring there are 4-5 large rides every weekend.

I'd personally rather have deputies stopping traffic at intersections. If there is a large ride then the cyclists just assume they don't have to stop at stop signs anyway. These large rides don't have any kind of legal recognition from Waller County. They have no standing to block intersections, roll through stop signs or otherwise break traffic laws. Cyclists ride like they are on a closed course.

2 - I've never heard of anyone being arrested. I know they have written tickets for running through stop signs and will use their loudspeakers to tell people to keep right. A lot of cyclists got pissed about just being told to keep right, I couldn't imagine the **** storm if someone got arrested. One ride where a couple dozen got written tickets for not stopping at a stop sign were calling it bull**** and getting together lawyers to fight it.

3 - I only remember one fatal incident while I have lived here. Driver had mental issues and purposely ran over some cyclists. Nothing to do with the route. Sheriff tries to get rides on routes that are safer, roads that have shoulders, more than 2 lanes, and lower traffic areas.
https://abc13.com/texas-man-gets-life-in-prison-victor-kevin-tome-sentenced-to-for-2017-killing/10851617/

I was looking at the pictures from the incident this weekend, you can't see faces but I'm pretty sure that's my neighbor's kid in one of them. His mom is on Facebook defending the driver, describes the driver as a 'family friend'.

Where this incident happened it was a 4 lane road, really easy to pass. No reason for him to have messed with the cyclists like he did.
dubi
AG
Quote:

His mom is on Facebook defending the driver, describes the driver as a 'family friend'.
His mom is going to face one heck of a civil suit if that was in fact their truck.
BowSowy
AG
My wife's friend's husband was one of the cyclists life flighted. Thankfully, he's back home as of today.
htxag09
AG
Woof, this thread was cleaned up quick. Granted, I didn't think any of it needed deleted, just showed the childish nature of the poster.

I'm just going to add it's easy for people to be nonchalant about this because they hate or don't understand cyclists. I think it's important to still understand rights of other people even if you don't partake in it....this can be spread to a variety of things. And this attitude and behavior spills over on the road quite regularly. The examples above of pedestrians, kids on bikes, etc. are not extreme lol scenarios. They happen. Perfect example on my run yesterday:

I was running on TC Jester (on the sidewalk) northbound crossing the train tracks near Ladybird's bar. A pregnant lady was walking her dog (well waddling slowly) and crossing TC Jester at the intersection of Inker ahead of me. When she started crossing no cars were coming. A four runner then came across the tracks, they had a century sticker, btw. The four runner then proceeded to rev the engine and speed up towards the lady and her dog in the intersection. I couldn't see in the car so don't know if they were distracted, doing it on purpose because they were annoyed someone had the audacity to cross an intersection, or what. But what the hell, it's not difficult to take 5 seconds out of your damn day to be respectful to someone.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Woof, this thread was cleaned up quick. Granted, I didn't think any of it needed deleted, just showed the childish nature of the poster.

Did something happen overnight? I'm not seeing any cleanup.
txags92
AG
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Did something happen overnight? I'm not seeing any cleanup.

Think it all came and went pretty quickly this am. Swift work by staff.
CDUB98
AG
Lemme guess, Jock 07 being his usual turd self?
chico
AG
"Since 2011, four cyclists have died and seven have been seriously injured in roadway crashes in Waller County. In that same period, neighboring Washington County also popular with distance riders has reported zero deaths or severe injuries."
quote from Chronicle article today

I scoured my facebook sources and still don't see any arrests of the 16 year old driver as of this morning. Unbelievable. If he did that to kids in a school zone, would he still be walking free?
CDUB98
AG
And Washington county's roads typically have no shoulders, are more winding, and more hilly.

But yet, no deaths.

It's all about respect. It's really that simple.

You don't have to agree with what someone does, just show a bit of human respect.
HtownAg92
AG
I beech about cyclists a lot, but I would never wish harm on them, except maybe some road rash if they blow through a traffic light.

Hearing about the Hockley incident reminded me about when me and my buddies had some dove leases all over between 290 and 10. Some of these leases backed right up to the roads where LeMond and Merckx would do weekend morning rides. It was usually a good laugh when Lance and Indurain would jump out of their seats and shriek when we popped up and blasted as they were driving by.
lexofer
AG
Waller Police Department is investigating, after they send their report to the DA then he will decide which charges to pursue, then arrest.

Waller Police

Waller District Attorney

Waller County Judge
CDUB98
AG
As a gun owner, I've heard shots many times out riding. Never bothers me.

Only time I would get worried is if I ever heard a bullet whiz by me, and thankfully, that has never happened.
HtownAg92
AG
CDUB98 said:

Only time I would get worried is if I ever heard a bullet whiz by me, and thankfully, that has never happened.
This was always shotguns, so the only danger would be an occasional peppering.
CDUB98
AG
HtownAg92 said:

CDUB98 said:

That's still quite suboptimal and could hurt, or injure.
chico
AG
lexofer said:

Waller Police Department is investigating, after they send their report to the DA then he will decide which charges to pursue, then arrest.

Waller Police

Waller District Attorney

Waller County Judge
I'm well aware of the police/DA responsibilities. My question: if he did this to children in a school zone, would he still be walking free?

(I've seen unconfirmed reports that the police let him drive the truck afterwards and he wasn't tested for drugs/alcohol. Again, just rumors. Do you know if this part is true or not?)
Sea Speed
AG
CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

CDUB98 said:

Never been to a pheasant tower shoot i see
HtownAg92
AG
CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

CDUB98 said:

Never intentional, just like it isn't when I get dusted by my buddy across the field.

I guess hunters, just like drivers, pedestrians, dog walkers, traffic law obeyers, and everyone else, need to yield to cyclists too?
Sea Speed
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

(I've seen unconfirmed reports that the police let him drive the truck afterwards and he wasn't tested for drugs/alcohol. Again, just rumors. Do you know if this part is true or not?)

Hmm, I need to ask my contact about that.

Supposedly the kid's parents were on the scene lickity split after it happened.

There is a possibility he was not impaired, so don't read too much into it, and somebody has to drive the truck away.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Bruh...it is illegal for your bullet to enter another person's property (and especially cross a public road ) while hunting. I assume this applies to shot as well. I know it happens when dove hunting, but still...
CDUB98
AG
Sea Speed said:

CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

CDUB98 said:

Never been to a pheasant tower shoot i see

No, my wife said I couldn't have anymore hobbies to spend money on unless I gave up one.

So, cycling, Aggie football, and snow skiing get my monies. I'd love to hunt, but it would be so expensive to start from ground zero, like any hobby/way of life.
Sea Speed
AG
Yes. Trespass by fire.

Yall realize he wasn't talking about shooting at or over the cyclists, but in the vicinity of them and the report from the gun is what scared them, not getting peppered. If I am wrong, correct me, but that is how I read it.
CDUB98
AG
HtownAg92 said:

CDUB98 said:

HtownAg92 said:

CDUB98 said:

Never intentional, just like it isn't when I get dusted by my buddy across the field.

I guess hunters, just like drivers, pedestrians, dog walkers, traffic law obeyers, and everyone else, need to yield to cyclists too?

See, we could have had a decent discussion, and then you had to be a bit of an asshat with the last line.

If reasonable, just try not to shoot in their direction if you see them. Kind of like you would for other hunters, if I recall safety correctly.
Sea Speed
AG
Shotgun or rifle, a license and the cost of a guided hunt. You could hunt 2 or 3 guided hunts for ducks for less than a grand all in with a used shotgun.
chico
AG
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

There is a possibility he was not impaired, so don't read too much into it, and somebody has to drive the truck away.

1-I'd hope they'd check driver for drugs/alcohol after injuries requiring life flight; although I'd be surprised if he wasn't completely sober
2-no. tow trucks are available. I'd think police would want to do a thorough search of the truck inside & out before giving it back to a potential suspect.
I'm no officer, so if somebody knows better....please correct.
CDUB98
AG
Sea Speed said:

Shotgun or rifle, a license and the cost of a guided hunt. You could hunt 2 or 3 guided hunts for ducks for less than a grand all in with a used shotgun.

There's also proper clothing required for it to stay warm, which I don't have. And good clothing requires monies.

The wife factor remains though. No more hobbies allowed.
Sea Speed
AG
Point still stands. You could do 2 guided hints this year with everything you needed for less than a grand. Understand your roadblock though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.