Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

186,460 Views | 1165 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Burdizzo
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
South College Station
MiMi
S
Daddy-O5 said:

MiMi said:

Daddy-O5 said:

She was told correctly. That could've been bad.

Thanks. Very scary. There were young children on the playground at the time. And she said it was trying to bite her shoe when she was smashing it.
Most snake bites occur at this time (when someone is messing with it, to catch or to kill). In this instance I completely understand dispatching the snake, still gotta be REALLY careful how you do it.
Knowing my daughter, I'm surprised she did this. I told her she is very lucky it didn't bite her.
FrioAg 00
AG
If it got to her shoe, she was quite close to a very bad day
nealan
Not a cottonmouth. A copperhead
Daddy-O5
AG
nealan said:

Not a cottonmouth. A copperhead
Juvenile cottonmouth. Jagged bands and mascara on what's left of the head.
nealan
Ohhhh! I see it! I stand corrected, carry on!
Deerdude
Why she not packing a .357 with 6" barrel and #4 shot shell load for these situations?
aggiesundevil4
AG
I don't mean to nitpick, but when you say mascara do you really mean eyeshadow?
MiMi
S
Deerdude said:

Why she not packing a .357 with 6" barrel and #4 shot shell load for these situations?
She works at a daycare. Firearms are prohibited. But would have come in handy this morning.
Daddy-O5
AG
I've always called it mascara and believe that's the typical nomenclature. Whatever you want to call the black stripe the goes from the eye, back.
Deerdude
MiMi said:

Deerdude said:

She works at a daycare. Firearms are prohibited. But would have come in handy this morning.

Yea I keed. Although I'm pro teacher carry.
mhnatt
Any help to ID this fella? 40 miles north of College Station, halfway to Waco. Found mostly rattlers in this area. But I don't think this is one? Young and small. About 18".

And

Pasquale Liucci
AG
Eastern hognose aka a Texas Cobra
nealan
Hognose

Had to redeem myself after that baby cottonmouth blunder
12th Man Ag
AG
Pretty sure hognose.
12f Mane
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

I don't mean to nitpick, but when you say mascara do you really mean eyeshadow?
12f Mane
AG
Hognose
zachsccr
AG

I'm notoriously bad at posting media of any type. My uncle stepped on this guy playing disc golf in Wichita County. Not sure what I think it is.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Speckled kingsnake
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pasquale Liucci said:

Speckled kingsnake
Based on the location, this could be a speckled/desert intergrade. I was actually leaning more desert based on the video but I'd defer to one of the experts on this one.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Good point. I'm an amateur that has seen way too many Facebook snake ID videos so more than happy to defer to the resident herpers
Badace52
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Pasquale Liucci said:

Speckled kingsnake
Based on the location, this could be a speckled/desert intergrade. I was actually leaning more desert based on the video but I'd defer to one of the experts on this one.

I would agree.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
nealan said:

My son sent me this earlier.. dead on the side of the road in our neighborhood. I'm usually pretty good at ID, but I'm struggling on this one ….

Location?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nealan
Carthage. NE Texas
P.U.T.U
AG
Had 3 snakes in the yard in a day but only had my phone on me for the water snake. Saw a few on the trails walking the dog but didn't have my phone on me again. Came home to a tarantula chilling on the front porch. Busy day

TheClaw07
AG
Dad's dog got popped following him through the pasture while he mowed.
Badace52
AG
It's tough... not a coachwhip cuz they have pale underbellies without pattern. Probably a ratsnake based on the belly pattern. I'm guessing though. 12f may know.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah that one is tough because there's only a small portion of belly left.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Poor guy!
TarponChaser
Posted on the neighborhood FB page. They must have been 100' away so I can't see the head but the pattern does look sorta cottonmouth'ish. Personally I would have gotten a lot closer but whatever.

Pasquale Liucci
AG
Very much a cottonmouth, good ID
Badace52
AG
Pasquale Liucci said:

Very much a cottonmouth, good ID

Agreed!
12f Mane
AG
TarponChaser said:

Posted on the neighborhood FB page. They must have been 100' away so I can't see the head but the pattern does look sorta cottonmouth'ish. Personally I would have gotten a lot closer but whatever.

This is a really tough one but I am going with gravid diamondback water snake. Neck to head ratio, band widths, and coloration all say diamondback to me, not cotton.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
The master handing out free lessons. Was certain it was a cottonmouth
TarponChaser
I was focusing on the bands and the body to tail thickness. The head was useless to me because it was so far away and out of focus.

Like I said, I would have gotten a lot closer but it was on the neighborhood page asking for an ID and I said cottonmouth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.