Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

106,416 Views | 744 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by DoitBest
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MouthBQ98 said:

Haven't seen one of these in a while.

I've only seen one of those on the wild. They're sneaky as heck.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
nealan
What do we call those? Vine snake ?
Daddy-O5
AG
You're being very reckless with that green mamba!

/Next door probably
MyNameIsJeff
AG
It's a rough green snake.
Thisguy1

Daddy-O5
AG
I'd probably be due for a nap after that meal.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
One less rat or even squirrel
Mr. Frodo
AG
Not coiled up for a reason. His king fu will be better later on… impressive.
MouthBQ98
AG
My snake alert collies cornered this one just now in the backyard. It was apparently quite entertaining. Big one too, over 2 feet.

zooguy96
MouthBQ98 said:

My snake alert collies cornered this one just now in the backyard. It was apparently quite entertaining. Big one too, over 2 feet.

Looks like another big gravid female.
Burdizzo
AG
Text from my brother today.
nealan
Not a snake. Which species of box turtle is this ?
zooguy96
nealan said:

Ornate box turtle. I think. Better with snakes.
maroon barchetta
nealan said:

I was told Eastern on mine. Yours might be Ornate but doesn't look as definite as the one in this thread.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3377779/last#last
jbeck3487
AG

nealan
Dang, I could have counted toes huh? 3 toes = Eastern?
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Beautiful copperhead. With that one it's pretty obvious how they got their name
Burdizzo
AG
The prequel to Copperhead Road. Copperhead Sidewalk
Badace52
AG
zooguy96 said:

nealan said:

Ornate box turtle. I think. Better with snakes.

So box turtles are broken into subspecies in the vernacular. They have all been determined to be subspecies of Terrapene carolina (the common box turtle) that is the subspecies known as the three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis) .
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
Is that the same as Eastern?
Badace52
AG
No. Same species, different subspecies. Eastern box turtle is Terrapene carolina carolina. The bright oranges and reds on the face with a mostly brown shell is indicative of three toed box turtle.

As with any animal broken into subspecies. There are intergrade individuals where different populations meet, but in my opinion, that individual is pretty heavily three toed phenotype.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nealan
Thanks for the info!
maroon barchetta
vander54
S
Three toed?
World's worst proofreader
Sea Speed
AG
Speaking of 3 toed, this adorable guy was in my drainage ditch so I scooped him up for the kids to see. Hands down the cutest turtle ice ever seen.

maroon barchetta
Handsome little fella
Badace52
AG
Very cool. Make sure he goes back right where you found him. These guys have very small home territories (like 250 yard radius)they live in their entire lives and when moved from them generally die very quickly.

They all generally move less than 1 mile from where they hatched their entire (up to 100+ year) lives.
CM
DoitBest
S
That's crazy, how many could there be in that radius? Seems like finding a mate could be a challenge...
JayM
Badace52 said:

Very cool. Make sure he goes back right where you found him. These guys have very small home territories (like 250 yard radius)they live in their entire lives and when moved from them generally die very quickly.

They all generally move less than 1 mile from where they hatched their entire (up to 100+ year) lives.
When I was a kid we would paint a white circle on the shell. And for the three years I lived there that white spotted tortoise would turn up again every year.
Sea Speed
AG
DoitBest said:

That's crazy, how many could there be in that radius? Seems like finding a mate could be a challenge...

I've got at least 2 in the area as I found another one in my drainage ditch last year as well. He was like 3x this one size. My daughters beg to keep them every time I find a turtle. There was another one I saw I was trying to find when u came across this one
Badace52
AG
Well that's why it isn't just 250 yards. They will move around a little to find a mate, but with habitat destruction and fragmentation, it has become a big issue for the animals. It's pretty rare to find juveniles now-a-days and if they weren't so long lived they'd likely already be extirpated from much of their range.
CM
DoitBest
S
Thanks,makes sense, any idea as to how old the one Sea found?
Badace52
AG
Not really... beyond my skill to tell by picture.

You can get a rough estimate by counting the rings on the scutes, but its not perfect and honestly hard to count rings on older turtles accurately.

ETA... it's more accurate and easier to count plastron (belly) scute rings.
CM
Sea Speed
AG
Idk if this helps. Dude was only 4" long tops.

He went back within 4" of where i found him as well. I had dug out my drainage ditch with my backhoe a few days ago so I'm glad he didn't get hurt then.

DoitBest
S
No worries, I appreciate y'alls knowledge, I've learned a ton from this platform. And I figure now that Asian Jasmine was a poor choice of ground cover by the pool, given the # of coral snakes our dog has found.
The only thing is that my wife has told me that a cotton mouth has eye liner, not mascara...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.