Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

100,806 Views | 707 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Watchful Ag
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

The people watching at a reptile show is freaking outstanding. Even better than the animals.
first one I went to was in Georgetown and you're absolutely correct. I got a killer deal on a snake enclosure for my pythons I had at the time.
txags92
AG
zooguy96 said:

12f Mane said:

I miss that snake room.

Yeah, me too.

I'm going to the International Snake Expo in West Daytona Beach in August for my birthday.

Hopefully, I can find a Lystrophis (tri-colored South American Hognose) and a Mexican Hognose.
Did they still have the huge python they were keeping for some guy in Victoria when you were there? That thing creeped me out when it would lunge at the glass sometimes.
zooguy96
txags92 said:

zooguy96 said:

12f Mane said:

I miss that snake room.

Yeah, me too.

I'm going to the International Snake Expo in West Daytona Beach in August for my birthday.

Hopefully, I can find a Lystrophis (tri-colored South American Hognose) and a Mexican Hognose.
Did they still have the huge python they were keeping for some guy in Victoria when you were there? That thing creeped me out when it would lunge at the glass sometimes.

Nope. I was there in 2000. Been a long time. That was my first zoo.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
txags92
AG
zooguy96 said:

txags92 said:

zooguy96 said:

12f Mane said:

I miss that snake room.

Yeah, me too.

I had a relative working there from the early 80s to the early 90s and got to spend a couple of weeks during the summers down there when I was a teenager. Basically had free run of the zoo for most of the day unless I was helping with an education program. They had a python that IIRC was about 12' long and it was kept in a long cage behind the snake exhibits in the keeper area. The keepers hated it, but I guess the guy was paying the zoo to let him keep it there since he wasn't allowed to have it where he lived. I think maybe it escaped during one of the flood events that flooded out the zoo and I don't remember if they ever recaptured it.
JayM
Would you tell me how those traps work? I can see the funnels in. But why do the coral snakes come into the thing? Traps are normally baited. But you can't bait a snake right?
DoitBest
S
nealan said:

That's a lotta coral snakes !
yep, that pic made me feel a little better about my yard...
P.U.T.U
AG
DoitBest said:

nealan said:

That's a lotta coral snakes !
yep, that pic made me feel a little better about my yard...
And MouthBQ98 said that looks like a typical Tuesday morning. I know he doesn't come across many coral snakes but dang he has a lot of other snakes.
12f Mane
AG
Those are top notch snakes
12f Mane
AG
I think it's the only reason my wife agrees to go with me
12f Mane
AG
MAS444 said:

My hometown zoo! Been a long time.
Mine too! I got an MIP in high school and my "community service" was helping out at the zoo, including windexing the snake room glass.
Cen-Tex
AG
JayM said:

Would you tell me how those traps work? I can see the funnels in. But why do the coral snakes come into the thing? Traps are normally baited. But you can't bait a snake right?
Eggs, specially unwashed yard eggs straight out of a chicken yard seem to work really well.

I had problems with water moccasins in my fish pond. I put a minnow trap in the pond baited with a couple minnows and a few small goldfish I bought from at a bait shop. The snakes entered the funnels and couldn't get back out. Caught 3 snakes in 2 days.
12f Mane
AG
No bait. The long extensions you can see in the pics are "walls" made out of chicken wire or something similar. Snakes hit the wall, crawl along it until they hit the funnel, go in, can't get out. Called a drift fence.
MAS444
AG
Quote:

Mine too! I got an MIP in high school and my "community service" was helping out at the zoo, including windexing the snake room glass.
Felton?
zooguy96
txags92 said:

zooguy96 said:

txags92 said:

zooguy96 said:

12f Mane said:

I miss that snake room.

Yeah, me too.

I had a relative working there from the early 80s to the early 90s and got to spend a couple of weeks during the summers down there when I was a teenager. Basically had free run of the zoo for most of the day unless I was helping with an education program. They had a python that IIRC was about 12' long and it was kept in a long cage behind the snake exhibits in the keeper area. The keepers hated it, but I guess the guy was paying the zoo to let him keep it there since he wasn't allowed to have it where he lived. I think maybe it escaped during one of the flood events that flooded out the zoo and I don't remember if they ever recaptured it.

Yeah, there was a flood in '98 I believe before I got there. They had repaired most of the damage by then.

If I'm not mistaken, they've moved the zoo to another location?

Not sure. I've not been back since I worked there. It was a grant paid position. The education curator was a little loco.
zooguy96
12f Mane said:

MAS444 said:

My hometown zoo! Been a long time.

I had to manage some of the volunteers who had to do community service. And, mostly they wondered windows like you did.
Madman
AG
Memorial Park Houston today

zooguy96
Madman said:

Memorial Park Houston today

Two hognoses getting busy!
12f Mane
AG
How'd you know lol
12f Mane
AG
The worst thing I had to do was sift the petting zoo sand for goat ****
Badace52
AG
zooguy96 said:

txags92 said:

zooguy96 said:

txags92 said:

zooguy96 said:

12f Mane said:

I miss that snake room.

Yeah, me too.

Yeah, there was a flood in '98 I believe before I got there. They had repaired most of the damage by then.

Not sure. I've not been back since I worked there. It was a grant paid position. The education curator was a little loco.

I'm from right around there too... (Inez). The zoo is still in the same place but the last time I went it was in a pretty sad state and is no longer really the Texas Zoo with mostly Texas Wildlife. Now it's just a regular Zoo and has mostly exotics.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
zooguy96
Badace52 said:

zooguy96 said:

txags92 said:

zooguy96 said:

txags92 said:

zooguy96 said:

12f Mane said:

I miss that snake room.

Yeah, me too.

I'm from right around there too... (Inez). The zoo is still in the same place but the last time I went it was in a pretty sad state and is no longer really the Texas Zoo with mostly Texas Wildlife. Now it's just a regular Zoo and has mostly exotics.

Oh, that sucks. What I liked about it was that it was just native Texas wildlife. The location, however, has always sucked. They talked about moving it about 15 years ago - but never did. They should have - it would be in better shape now. But, their leadership was always questionable.
P.U.T.U
AG
Neighbor said they had a rattlesnake in their yard (we don't have them anywhere close to us). Just a rat snake that was pissed off
Cen-Tex
AG
Looks like it could stretch out to be a big one
JayM
P.U.T.U
AG
I offered to remove it but I think they got rid of it by spraying it with water. Was looking forward to having my kids handle it when they got out of school
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Where do you live that doesn't have rattlesnakes?
P.U.T.U
AG
Wylie/Sachse (NE of Dallas). Its in a unique area where we have very little venomous snakes in our neighborhood. Seen hundreds of snakes and only one coral and one copperhead. I know of areas a few miles away where you can easily find copperheads and while moccasins are rare I have seen them on Ray Hubbard

We have loads of water and rat snakes as well as the other normal non-venomous ones.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Yet another with the killer this time.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Young CM
TarponChaser
Did your pup take that sucker out or what?
Cromagnum
AG
Harrison Ford wouldn't dare set foot on 12F's property. JFC it's the snake capital of the world.
Deerdude
As a young kid, 4 or 5, I had a 1/2 section between Bruni and Oilton to traipse around in. Had a little dog named Pinky, that would run right up in the middle of any rattlesnake and commences to slinging snake parts all over until it was no longer a threat or recognizable for that matter. We had some pretty big snakes down there. My BB gun was no match.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
TarponChaser said:

Did your pup take that sucker out or what?

Yes, she will kill any snake that comes in ithe back yard if it doesn't get her first. She has about a 10:1 kill:been bit ratio.

She thinks she would kill the coyotes or bobcats that are on the other side of the fence.
Serious Lee
JRTs are snake killing machines
12th Man Ag
AG
My in-laws got a little jumpy out in King Oaks this morning!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.