Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

100,861 Views | 707 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Watchful Ag
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aw man. That was a prairie king or great plain rat snake (still can't differentiate those two).
12f Mane
AG
Slowinki's cornsnake. Not too common anywhere.
12th Man Ag
AG
12f Mane said:

Slowinki's cornsnake. Not too common anywhere.

Great! My FIL is killing rare snakes!
12f Mane
AG
He's definitely killing free pest control.
alittleright
Seen quite a few of these guys lately. He was a big one
Aggie87
AG
A healthy Western Diamondback near my trash bins the other day.

krosch11
AG
Alright this one confuses me too. Nose looks rectangular which makes me thing cottonmouth. But those bands look really uniform as a DBWS.

Which one is it?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
DBWS.

If you pay attention to the bands, this is what 12fmane was alluding to in the ID a few spots back that most people, including myself, thought was a CM. I am still not 100% sold it wasn't a CM but I'm not 100% it's a DBWS either… the picture wasn't super close and it was hard to tell. I do trust his judgement though.
krosch11
AG
The other one didn't seem to have as uniform bands but completely see what you're saying. Hard to tell from a distance . I'm DBWS on this one given the bands and length , nose confused me a bit .
zooguy96
Aggie87 said:

A healthy Western Diamondback near my trash bins the other day.

Looks like a gravid female.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
double e
AG
This beauty visited my front porch today, Tomball/Woodlands area near Burroughs Park. These are stills from a video, and unfortunately I wasn't home. We had some landscaping done yesterday and I suspect her(?) home was disturbed.

Long time lurker here who finally has something to contribute. Really appreciate all y'all who make this such a great thread.

maroon barchetta
That appears to be a really long example of a coral snake. Much longer than normal.
double e
AG
I figure a little over two feet. I'll let the experts weigh in on average size around here.
12f Mane
AG
Definitely at the upper end. Every so often you'll come across a monster (30" or more) and they are almost always females.
MouthBQ98
AG
My snake alert collie found this in the yard:

CURDOG90
AG
Good size rat. NE Brazos County
https://imgur.com/a/c1J9ipe
https://imgur.com/a/FFJ5zNC
CURDOG90
AG
I give up. Too old to make picture post!
DoitBest
S

DoitBest
S
pictures I have figured out, but after that I feel the same way sir.....
CURDOG90
AG
Thanks
JayM
DoitBest said:

Rat snake behavior?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'd say trying to eat a dachshund/terrier/mix is not normal behavior for a rat snake
DoitBest
S
I have no idea, just following to learn from the experts here. & post pics of what this guy finds.
Sea Speed
AG
We got a show from a little broad banded water snake today. We were picking up sticks and we have a little wet wx creek and he was hanging out in there and looked to be chasing a fish. He kept looking right at us and I was trying to show him to my kids and he was real docile. Didn't pick him up but he basically let me lift his head up with a stick gently.

I dont think I had seen one this close and I was really surprised with how narrow his head was. Didn't have my phone on me so no pics. Biggest snake we've come across at my place so kids loved it.
Serious Lee

best i could get. believe its a coachwhip. had just seen him enter after i spooked him. while this one was eager to come back out, the traps posted in this thread got me thinking. the ones that get inside walls in search of food or warmth in the winter; how likely is it they find their way back out?
12f Mane
AG
Agree with coachwhip and my guess is that's not the first time it has used that hole. I'd venture to guess that almost all find their way back out.
CanyonAg77
AG
Southwestern Randall County in Texas Panhandle. Little guy is rattlesnake, curious what the big guy is. The rattler is probably 15-18 inches, the long one at least four feet, maybe 5 feet long. Seemed to have a greenish hue with a checkerboard of light brown splotches
zooguy96
Coachwhip.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks. Was moving a water tank and disturbed him. He was sort of panicked and he and the rattler were having a disagreement. He raised his head once and I thought coachwhip, but I thought they were darker
Daddy-O5
AG
Coachwhip might have himself a little snack.
zooguy96
CanyonAg77 said:

Thanks. Was moving a water tank and disturbed him. He was sort of panicked and he and the rattler were having a disagreement. He raised his head once and I thought coachwhip, but I thought they were darker

They come in a lot of different color shades. I've seen several different shades, based on locale.
ShackelfordAg99
In Blanco County, our coachwhips are a grey/silver color with alternating lighter/darker patches every 6" or so. Fast as F, and don't care if temps get well into the 90s.
Badace52
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Southwestern Randall County in Texas Panhandle. Little guy is rattlesnake, curious what the big guy is. The rattler is probably 15-18 inches, the long one at least four feet, maybe 5 feet long. Seemed to have a greenish hue with a checkerboard of light brown splotches

As stated before definitely a coachwhip. They come in many colors including gold, bronze, black, red, pink, and often have one color fading into another and sometimes bands. They have distinctive, large, smooth scales and a pissed off look. They like to eat other snakes but that one looks pretty full. I think the prairie rattler is safe.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CanyonAg77
AG
They've been living under the same stock tank together. Were some mouse nests and a dead rabbit under there, too. If I can figure out how to post a video, they sort of fussed at each other a bit. The CW was a little panicked and trying to find cover, including where the RS was
MouthBQ98
AG
Haven't seen one of these in a while.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.