Outdoors
Sponsored by

Birding

48,680 Views | 448 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BMo
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FAT SEXY said:

Obviously this is the thread to ask this in..

Anybody got any recommendations on good feeders? I'd like to find something that clamps on a pole(I have an old dish mount pole not being used), but I'm open to all other suggestions.

Solid and Made in the USA is preferred.
I have one like this one that I really like. It mounts on top of a pole, and lots of different species really like it. Many birds don't like the feeders that require landing on a perch surrounding feeding holes and this one fits the bill, no pun intended.

If you have squirrels in your area, I also highly recommend a baffle like this to go on the pole under the feeder. It keeps them from climbing up and getting on the feeder.

I also have one of the Droll Yankee tube feeders I keep sunflower seed in, but it mounts best from a hook or horizontal pipe or similar support. It was fun watching the squirrels get spun around and try to hang on when I first put it up. Now they know to pretty much just leave it alone.
CaptnCarl
AG
Oh boy! Duck and migratory bird photos could be a thread of their own. Super cool to watch!
labmansid
There were quite a few migrants passing through B/CS today. I went to Brison Park in College Station this morning and found several species. If anyone is interested, there may still be many birds there this weekend.

Least Flycatcher

Black Throated Green Warbler

Female Summer Tanager

Gray Catbird

Immature Baltimore Oriole. There were likely mature ones around, but I didn't get good looks at them.

Female Rose Breasted Grosbeak.

Male Rose Breasted Grosbeak. This guy took his time eating this mulberry, giving me plenty of shots.

Andrew Dufresne
Nice pics!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not going to lie, this thread has really exposed how much of a neophyte I am when it comes to non-game bird ID. I love it and am glad you guys are sharing!
CanyonAg77
AG
If we're going to do flying bugs, I've always been fascinated by Sphinx moths, also called hummingbird moths.

sunchaser
AG
I have taken a bunch of pictures of these Gray Jay's....Camp Jays. They probably have an actual name but all the pictures come out the same.

Badace52
AG
Their actual common name is gray Jay... So good guess.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fannie Luddite
AG
I have a pair of road runners building a nest in a cedar elm by my driveway. I have no idea why they chose this location as I have 100 or so trees on my property. I hope I don't run them off.

Road Runner Building Nest
Badace52
AG
Pretty awesome. Have to admit, that is a weird spot.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
labmansid
siclaro said:

I have a pair of road runners building a nest in a cedar elm by my driveway. I have no idea why they chose this location as I have 100 or so trees on my property. I hope I don't run them off.

Road Runner Building Nest
How cool for you! We will definitely be interested in updates later.

You wonder why birds build nests in places like that, but I have a theory. It is commonly known that, in Arizona at least, hummingbirds build nests in close proximity to hawk nests in the same area. Most would think that flies in the face of logic, being so close to a feared predator. However, it is thought that the hummers know the hawk is no threat to them, since they are way too small for a hawk to consider as a meal. Plus, the hawks give them some protection from their own natural predators such as larger birds and rodents.

There is a pair of Great Horned Owls that have nested in Brazos Bend SP near the entrance and visitor center for several years running now. Many would say they are crazy to do that, since people congregate near the nest to view them, and some think people should not be allowed near the nest. I think the owls are wiser than people give them credit for, as we may be unwittingly offering a bit of protection for them the same way the hawks do the hummingbirds.It is well known the owl parents had to fend off a bobcat one year, and our constant presence may help prevent more incidents like that.

So it may be the roadrunners are doing the same thing by building their nest close to your own activity. They could be using your presence to deter their own predators from attacking their young. Just a thought.
Post removed:
by user
BuddysBud
AG
House sparrows. Unwelcome by anyone with a purple martin or bluebird house. They kill the bluebird babies.
Post removed:
by user
BuddysBud
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Cute as a button on the outside, savage killers on the inside.

And they have an annoying song.

Edit to add that they are invasive. They belong in Europe. The story is that they originally were released in Central Park in NYC (with starlings) early last century by a group of Shakespeare fans who wanted to bring birds mention in his plays. The birds decimated the bluebird population until the 1960's when parks and individuals started putting up bluebird nesting boxes.
Post removed:
by user
BuddysBud
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Do starlings cause problems as well?

Yes. They also take over cavities for nesting. Since starlings are larger, they are easier to keep out of bluebird houses by having a 1-1/2" hole for the eastern bluebird and a 1-9/16" hole for western and mountain bluebirds. Many purple martin houses have half moon and other shapes to keep starlings out.

Starlings are also brutes at the feeders. The eat a lot and chase other birds away.
Fannie Luddite
AG
My roadrunners have a couple of eggs in their nest. Time for a tree cam. Gestation period is about 20 days.

BuddysBud
labmansid
That is so cool! I'm pretty jealous myself. Thoughts and prayers for the lizards in your neighborhood.
Fannie Luddite
AG
labmansid said:

That is so cool! I'm pretty jealous myself. Thoughts and prayers for the lizards in your neighborhood.
Right on. I was mowing the other day and one had a toad in its mouth. A couple of laps later, the other had a small snake. I haven't seen any snakes on my place for the last few years.
Post removed:
by user
labmansid
Mockingbirds can be pretty vicious in their own right. I once watched one snag a baby hummingbird out of its nest and fly off with it.
Post removed:
by user
Badace52
AG
I absolutely hate that the mockingbird is the state bird of Texas. It is unoriginal, the bird is annoying, insanely territorial and not very visually appealing. I would have picked scissortails, whooping cranes, roadrunners, Kingfishers, hawks (any hawk), owls (any owl), buntings, tanagers, or the like waaay before mockingbirds.
CM
BuddysBud
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Do Mockingbirds pull stunts like the House Sparrow does and ravage the young of other birds?

The more I've been watching birds lately, the more I've noticed how feisty these dudes are. Squirrels, cats, hawks, pretty much all other birds.. doesn't matter, they go after everything it seems.

Mockingbirds and jays might prey on a nest. The starlings and house sparrows want to take over the cavity in which the bluebirds are nesting. I know of one instance where the sparrows killed the baby bluebirds and the mother sitting on the nest then built their nest on top of the bodies.

By the way, woodpeckers can be vicious also. Do a YouTube search for Zombie woodpeckers if you are not faint of heart.
labmansid
I have had a couple more unusual spring migrants show up in the back yard the past few days.

First is a Chestnut Sided Warbler.

Next is a Bay Breasted Warbler that took a quick bath. I was barely able to get a few quick shots before he was gone.

Post removed:
by user
labmansid
That's awesome! Looking forward to more.
Post removed:
by user
labmansid
I don't think it will be an issue, as long as you can give them their space. If you get too close, they will likely let you know somehow. They may start calling or flying over you if you get too close.
lb sand
AG
I've no pictures to add, just wanted to say this is one of my favorite threads on texags.

Keepem coming
labmansid
lb sand
AG
https://imgur.com/RWLPiFh

I did have this old photo on my phone.

Pileated woodpeckers in my neighbors yard. I took the photo from about 15' away thru a hole in our privacy fence.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.