Outdoors
Sponsored by

Birding

47,932 Views | 448 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BMo
Post removed:
by user
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The Big Year is a great movie.

(it's about birding)
jkc001
I saw my first Hummingbird of the year on March 16th. Didn't see another one until yesterday, March 26th. Now there are several coming to the feeders. (I live in Central Texas.)

Post removed:
by user
LEJ

Momma almost bit my face off when I got outta my truck and nearly stepped on her eggs.
Post removed:
by user
Caladan
Someone needs a pair of binoculars.

Just sayin'
LEJ
FAT SEXY said:

What species are those eggs from? They look cool

Think of something we all love to do in the fall, outdoors.
Duncan Idaho
LEJ said:

FAT SEXY said:

The op's mom? /Genboard
AggieGunslinger
AG
LEJ said:

FAT SEXY said:

Your growing BAS in your yard?
jkc001
I'm not an expert on Hummingbirds; learning as I go. What I've read is to avoid foods with the red dye. I make my own food by using 4 cups of water to 1 cup of plain cane sugar. Bring the water to a boil, then add the sugar, stir, and let it cool. I change the water in the feeders about every 3 days in an effort to minimize bacteria build up. (This is important!)

If someone can explain how to post photos, I've got some great ones of Hummingbirds that I'd be happy to share.
Post removed:
by user
LEJ

Terrible guesses
ttha_aggie_09
AG
LEJ said:

Terrible guesses
Excellent hint and I am shocked no one picked up on it! Me and the kids find killdeer nests almost every year. A couple of times they have been in the playground mulch.
zooguy96
I was going to say Killdeer based on where the eggs were. We had them all over our yard when I was a kid (old
Oilfield land where salt water was pumped in and created a basic sandlot with few weeds). We always enjoyed watching them fake a broken wing, and several times transferred eggs to other nests when the parents had abandoned them.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
LEJ
I knew how it was spelled but I've always pronounced it without the R, so my clue didn't dawn on me right off.

She put on a big show with the broken wing fake out. Really did scare the shs outta me when I stepped out the truck

jkc001
https://i.imgur.com/BLVIeGx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yzhV051.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Y0mSybJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/X5A3KWB.jpg

I have some other pictures that came out better of course. Will post those later. That said, it's not the easiest thing to get a Hummingbird to sit still for you.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
jkc001 said:

I have some other pictures that came out better of course. Will post those later. That said, it's not the easiest thing to get a Hummingbird to sit still for you.
SanAntoneAg
AG
The barred owls have been going bat **** every night in the neighborhood.
Apache
AG
I figured killdee or maybe a chuck will. They nest out in the open too I think
Badace52
AG
So do scissor tailed flycatchers, but they aren't back yet.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkc001
It's been a little slow around here so I thought I'd post some pictures of critters who have come through my yard. I believe the Hawk is a Coopers Hawk. The picture of the dove is interesting to me due to the blue coloration around its eyes. Oddly, there are other pictures where the White Wing does not have the blue coloration. The pictures of the squirrel need no explanation. The picture of the bird with the bright yellow breast I believe is a Lesser Gold Finch. (I could be wrong). I have no idea what the black bird with the red stripe is. One other thing, does anyone know how to get rid of all the doves in my yard?

If anyone else has interesting pictures of wildlife, preferably alive, please share.

jkc001
Obviously, I still don't know to properly post a picture instead of a link. Perhaps somebody can help.
zooguy96
Here ya go, Rook.

BurrOak
AG
Did you have fried squirrel for dinner?
zooguy96
Red-Winged Blackbird for the last one? Although the beak looks wrong.
BuddysBud
AG
jkc001 said:

It's been a little slow around here so I thought I'd post some pictures of critters who have come through my yard. I believe the Hawk is a Coopers Hawk. The picture of the dove is interesting to me due to the blue coloration around it eyes. Oddly, there are other pictures where the White Wing does not have the blue coloration. The pictures of the squirrel need no explanation. The picture of the bird with the bright yellow breast I believe is a Lesser Gold Finch. (I could be wrong). I have no idea what the black bird with the red stripe is. One other thing, does anyone know how to get rid of all the doves in my yard?

If anyone else has interesting pictures of wildlife, preferably alive, please share.

Nice Cooper's Hawk pictures.

It is best to not use red dye in your hummingbird nectar. Just us 1 part white granulated table sugar and 4 parts water. Change it every 2-3 days.

It is a lesser goldfinch. You obviously live west of I-35. The first goldfinch picture also has an American goldfinch and what looks like a female brown headed cowbird.

The blackbird is a red-wing blackbird.

Certain the times of year with a proper license and not in a residential neighborhood, many here would be happy to help with the doves.
CS78
Dove nested on top of two bricks sitting on the top of my fence. Pretty sure she was here last year. This year I can walk within a foot of her and she won't move. Two clutches of 2 eggs last year. 2 eggs so far this year. Is that normal for dove to only produce two at a time?

Just took a cell phone pic.

ttha_aggie_09
AG

Found this in the front yard
BuddysBud
AG
Mockingbird?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes, I believe so. I haven't had a real solid look at the birds after pushing them off the nest but they look like mockingbirds. The eggs match mockingbirds, too.

I'm much better at IDing snakes or ducks than common birds though...
jkc001
Not for dinner that night, however, if you happen to have a good recipe. Asking for a friend of course!
rock08
AG
Nothing super crazy but not too shabby out the kitchen window with binos

BuddysBud
AG
Cedar waxwings are one of the best dressed birds.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.