Outdoors
Sponsored by

Birding

48,467 Views | 448 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BMo
BuddysBud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

These are cool birds.
The male is on the left with red along the side of its face.
The female on the right has a black stripe along its face.
Post removed:
by user
BuddysBud
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Such cool birds! Is this the variety that Woody Woodpecker was based off of?.. sure looks like it.

Yes, Woody is based on a pileated woodpecker.
BMo
All taken in Brazos Co.

Red-bellied woodpecker

Male and female downy woodpeckers

Yellow-bellied sapsucker

Pileated woodpecker

JeremiahJohnson
AG
Saw this Hawk fly into this tree normally. Hung upside down for a few minutes then flew away. I assume it was sick but strange encounter.

labmansid
It's possibly a juvenile that hasn't quite perfected its landing technique. I have seen that before.
rather be fishing
AG
Yellow-rumped Warbler that's been pecking the crap out of it basement windows for the last week.

BuddysBud
AG
rather be fishing said:

Yellow-rumped Warbler that's been pecking the crap out of it basement windows for the last week.

It probably sees its reflection as a competitor and is trying to chase it away.
rather be fishing
AG
BuddysBud said:

rather be fishing said:

It probably sees its reflection as a competitor and is trying to chase it away.
Yep, he's establishing his territory in the pines beside the house.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
BMo
At****er's prairie chicken (Tympanuchus cupido at****eri) is a highly endangered subspecies of the greater prairie chicken that is native to coastal Texas and Louisiana in the United States.

At****er's Prairie Chicken

Finally, yesterday along with a female and a trailing chick that I didn't realize was there.

Caladan
Great pics! Was this on the wildlife refuge? If so, what area?

Thanks
JeremiahJohnson
AG
The one trip to my parents house on Lake Cherokee I forget my camera, we have 2 Osprey Nesting nearby and a bald eagle flying overhead. Let's see if I can get them through some binos
AggieChemist
AG
Have seen both indigo bunting and scarlet tananger (x2) today while turkey hunting.
BMo
Caladan said:

Thanks
Yes, on the auto loop. They are moving around since the eggs have hatched. If you stop your engine and listen, you can normally hear them. That's how I found them.
BMo
I shot for about 2 hrs. with two different cameras and lenses. Have a little video as well.

Post removed:
by user
Caladan
BMo said:

Caladan said:

Thanks
Yes, on the auto loop. They are moving around since the eggs have hatched. If you stop your engine and listen, you can normally hear them. That's how I found them.

Thanks! I might head down there in the next few days.

C
BMo
FAT SEXY said:

How well would you say conservation efforts are going for these birds?
About as well as can be expected I would guess. I know the manager there and he and staff work very hard on habitat and trying to do things to expand the flock or whatever you call a bunch of prairie chickens. As the wiki article shows, there are several helper locations for additional stock. The chick in the photo was a natural hatched bird, however. They have had a good breeding season this year.
BMo

Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
BMo
FAT SEXY said:

Watched the video a few times now.. These birds have a lot of character! Mental note made to watch some one day.
Glad you enjoyed it. I want to go back with my fluid head on a tripod and I shoot a Sony a6400 which was developed for video.
Post removed:
by user
BMo
FAT SEXY said:

That's actually a camera I've been looking at buying for awhile.. I guess you like it pretty good? Reviews/Specs look really good on it.

I'm using a custom crop sensor action camera with full manual lenses. It works well for me, but I eventually want to buy a mirrorless camera with a much bigger sensor.
It's a great little camera but quite different from the Canon 7D2 I use to shoot. I went full Sony 2 years ago.
BMo
I had to go back with a set up for video. I really didn't think having another shot at him was realistic. I was wrong. Enjoy.

labmansid
Some recent observations from the back yard.

The recently fledged Red Bellied Woodpecker juvenile hasn't quite figured out how the feeder works. Dad/mom has to show it how it's done.

Had a Yellow Warbler hang around for a few hours.

A Crow found the seed spilled by the bird feeder too tempting.

A Painted Bunting female using the same tactic as the crow.

And finally, a real surprise. This Canada Warbler really wanted to take a bath, and finally succeeded after several skittish attempts.

BMo
Great shots, Sid! That Yellow and Canada are golden, so to speak.
Post removed:
by user
BMo
FAT SEXY said:

Those Prairie Chicken's like to put on a show!
All for the ladies.
rather be fishing
AG
Hummingbirds are starting to get thick up here.

Female Black-chinned Hummingbird

BMo
Mockingbird carrying on making an unusual sound and couldn't figure it out until I saw this movement at the water feature. Not sure how it ended up on the ground and sure don't know how it got back in the nest but it did. The mockingbird settled back down after that.

BMo
Mockingbird carrying on making an unusual sound and couldn't figure it out until I saw this movement at the water feature. Not sure how it ended up on the ground and sure don't know how it got back in the nest but it did. The mockingbird settled back down after that.

BMo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.