Outdoors
Sponsored by

***** Waterfowl Season 2018 - 19 *****

40,369 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gonemaroon
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DUman08
AG
Gotta feed that bloodlust every now and again or will sneak up on you down the home stretch lol.
Mas89
AG
Kearney- just finished a four day hunt in Tulia which is 70 miles north of Lubbock. Really dry up there now, with some ponds we hunted in past years dry. Hunted in Tulia, Dimmitt, and Muleshoe areas to find water. Great hunts. Our 15 man group had over 200 birds-ducks, geese, and cranes.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Those are some pretty BWT

Always wanted to get one in full plumage.
txaggie02
AG
Went deer hunting with my kiddo this evening on the family place along the Navasota River. Damn, that river is high!!! Probably the highest I've seen it in several years. Got a bad feeling about the rest of duck season. Waaaaaay too much water this year.
Kearney McRaven
Mas89 said:

Kearney- just finished a four day hunt in Tulia which is 70 miles north of Lubbock. Really dry up there now, with some ponds we hunted in past years dry. Hunted in Tulia, Dimmitt, and Muleshoe areas to find water. Great hunts. Our 15 man group had over 200 birds-ducks, geese, and cranes.
Thanks for the response. We are hunting next Monday and Tuesday in Tulia. Who did you hunt with?
Mas89
AG
Tule Creek Outfitters. Dane Swinburn. Highly Recommend. He hunts and guides in addition to having real good guides working for him. We hunted multiple properties and they did a great job of scouting and giving our large group options for the next mornings hunt. Welcome to pm me any questions.
PharmD4
AG
Time to pick up the dekes!

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Looks like the tide pulled them out for you
dtdag
AG
Mas, I hunted with your group on Saturday morning in Bovina/Friona.

The last three days have been fantastic up that way and Dane is a great guide/host. Guiding ducks is tough, but those guys do everything in their power to put you on birds. The other plus is you have a tremendous pheasant option with Dane if the ducks aren't cooperating.
PharmD4
AG
Didn't even fire a shot this morning. Saw a total of 9 ducks, all out of range and not remotely interested in stopping.
mneisch
AG
6 guys managed 11 birds this morning. All teal.
OnlyForNow
AG
I pass on one hunt and never get invited again.
mneisch
AG

SanAntoneAg
AG
Once all the ducks flew off the tank this morning upon our arrival, not many came back. My daughter did get a pair of gadwall, though.

agfan2013
AG
Man, y'all are making me feel pretty good about not waking up early this morning and missing a chance to hunt on one of my free weekends.
OnlyForNow
AG
Pretty bird... his head still attached?
FirefightAg
AG
Buddies had a 4 man of mallards up by the red. Stayed in CenTex and got a pair.

mneisch
AG
You bet. One of the nicest green wings I have ever shot.
OnlyForNow
AG
Wall hanger for sure. Could be a 2-3 yr old bird.
mneisch
AG
Will be going again before the season ends, so I'll reach out to you.
Stormchaser
AG
My pup is having a good first year. Hunting a stock pond east of Dallas.
Stormchaser
AG
mneisch
AG
What shot size are you using on the cranes? Saturday we had some come over, but only one guy had a crane permit and everyone was shooting either 3s or 4s.
LSB_2002
AG
Any reports out of Corpus?
Gulf Coast Aggie
AG
LSB_2002 said:

I don't hunt the Corpus area but I can tell you I haven't been seeing near the normal amount of birds along the bays from Matagorda to Corpus.
LSB_2002
AG
Gulf Coast Aggie said:

LSB_2002 said:

I don't hunt the Corpus area but I can tell you I haven't been seeing near the normal amount of birds along the bays from Matagorda to Corpus.
That's kind of what I am hearing. Was hoping some of the recent cold fronts were pushing some birds that way. Have a trip this weekend scheduled.
hurricanejake02
AG
mneisch said:

What shot size are you using on the cranes? Saturday we had some come over, but only one guy had a crane permit and everyone was shooting either 3s or 4s.
I typically use BBB - same as I'd carry for geese.
Stormchaser
AG
BBB is good, but I use lead when I can. Lead 2s or lead BBs sure give you a punch.
hurricanejake02
AG
Stormchaser said:

BBB is good, but I use lead when I can. Lead 2s or lead BBs sure give you a punch.
True. I very rarely exclusively hunt crane, and the GW frowns on lead in my bag when I'm hunting ducks and geese.
Kearney McRaven
[url=.html][/url]

[url=.html][/url]

Just returned from a two day guided hunt with Tule Creek Outfitters in Tulia, Texas. Dane and his crew treated us very well. The accommodations were great, and the hunting exceeded my expectations. This was my first trip to the panhandle for duck hunting, but it won't be the last. I highly recommend Tule Creek Outfitters.
FirefightAg
AG
Nice shoveler
Pasquale Liucci
AG
2nd from the right mallard drake is a bull! Great looking pintails too.
Kearney McRaven
Lester Freamon said:

2nd from the right mallard drake is a bull! Great looking pintails too.
He was a stud. I was shocked how much bigger his head was as compared to the others. Having duck hunted all over Texas, I cannot praise this place enough. The panhandle was a bucket list hunt for me, and it far exceeded expectations. Tule Creek Outfitters.
Kearney McRaven
It was 17 degrees that morning. The guides used a shovel and a pick, and broker a 100 foot radius circle in the ice. Then they pushed it over the other ice. That was interesting to watch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.