Outdoors
Sponsored by

***** Waterfowl Season 2018 - 19 *****

40,375 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gonemaroon
Pasquale Liucci
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last weekend drove from Houston to Granbury and back. Saw two spots with ducks the whole way. In a flooded creek bed off 6 south of Waco and some resident Gaddies north of Granbury on 51.
NW80
AG
Too early for our country!

Maybe more after this cold front.
kdm_01
AG
Did some north zone scouting yesterday around Lake Ray Roberts (just a poor public land hunter here) and the water level is up 3-4 ft over last year.
If this front brings down birds I expect they'll be widely scattered. Have only been hunting up here a couple of seasons but it's definitely the most water in that time period.
TexasAg2017
AG
Looking like I'm gonna give it a shot in the Sam opening morning. Buddy has found a few potential holes
mneisch
AG
Heading out to public land on Saturday morning. Hoping this cold front will have pushed some birds down. Reports are that it has bumped all the birds that were holding up north.
AgBQ-00
AG
Will be on Ray Roberts Sunday morning. Cant make opener because of family birthday. Hopefully all the ducks arent blasted off the lake on Saturday.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Saw a flight of mallards this morning over 45 in The Woodlands. Have a buddy in Duncan, OK that's excited for the weekend up there.
PharmD4
AG
Same here. What county?
mneisch
AG
Brazoria
AggieArcher17
AG
Wonder if those arent just the local birds that are always here though... I'll be hunting in Huntsville so I'm hoping thats not the case and theyre piling down here!
FrontPorchAg
The new pup got her first retrieve this morning. Just a little coot I breasted out and gave to her.

No photo though. It was cold as ****
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
ttha_aggie_09
AG
In addition to full straps, I got this beauty the other morning to add to the wall! I have been on quite a few hunts when someone else shoots a cinnamon. This is the first one I have shot.

saltydog13
AG
Been seeing lots of geese and a few ducks flying in burleson county. Ready for these fronts rolling in for north zone opener
Post removed:
by user
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Never seen a life cinnamon in my life, just a mounted one that my buddy's dad has. Gorgeous bird.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Could very well be, but seeing them about a day and a half ahead of the first big cold front gave me reason for optimism.
John Cocktolstoy
Third are you hunting Sunday?
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
AgBQ-00
AG
Looking to add variety to my very small decoy spread. Is the better choice to add different species of ducks or add some geese to my spread?

ETA currently have mallard drake and hen floaters.
CS78
Spent a good chunk of time at Somerville today. Surprisingly very few birds seen. Too much sheet water I guess.
Post removed:
by user
John Cocktolstoy
third coast.. said:

ok. im going to be alone tomorrow. anyone want to hunt?
My daughter made regional band and has a concert in Belton tomorrow, or else I would be all over it.
John Cocktolstoy
CS78 said:

Spent a good chunk of time at Somerville today. Surprisingly very few birds seen. Too much sheet water I guess.
Somerville sucks. I would not waste my time there!
dr_boogs
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Looking to add variety to my very small decoy spread. Is the better choice to add different species of ducks or add some geese to my spread?

ETA currently have mallard drake and hen floaters.

Hard to answer that w a blanket catch-all Answer. Depends what you're hunting, what type of water, hunting pressure, what part of the state.

In Texas if you're targeting ducks it's not a bad idea to mix in some gadwall drakes and hens and 1/4 -1/3 teal. A pair or two pair of widgeon are also helpful if you hunt over moss/grassy water.

Mallards tends to like smaller water that's secluded. So if you're hunting big water I'd keep the mallard numbers down.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If I didn't already have plans to be out, I might take you up on the offer. Good luck!

Edit - ignore the emoji
AggieArcher17
AG
John Cocktolstoy said:

CS78 said:

Somerville sucks. I would not waste my time there!

FrontPorchAg
third coast.. said:

ok. im going to be alone tomorrow. anyone want to hunt?
If you are around Reno. I'll hunt the refuge with you. There were a bunch of pintails and mallards out today.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
AgBQ-00
AG
Going to be hunting inlets and coves on Ray Roberts It is one of the areas bigger lakes. 1st couple of hunts looking to hunt a feeder creek at the top of one of the inlets going to use trees and brush for cover
saltydog13
AG
good luck to everyone in the north zone opener this morning.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.