Outdoors
Sponsored by

***** Waterfowl Season 2018 - 19 *****

40,370 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gonemaroon
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lester Freamon said:

What are those? My duck ID'ing is still a work in progress.
I see cans. Long neck, airbrakes dropped down. Pretty sure I can hear the wind ripping from here.
PharmD4
AG
DUman08 said:

DuckDown2013 said:

Looks like the weather is shaping up great for the Richland creek crew this weekend!!

I am hearing good things about bird numbers.

Yessssssir
DUman08
AG
third coast.. said:

its not that easy to tell from that photo. flying like bluebills or redheads IMO.

Def divers.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
CS78 said:

Lester Freamon said:

What are those? My duck ID'ing is still a work in progress.
I see cans. Long neck, airbrakes dropped down. Pretty sure I can hear the wind ripping from here.

Yep! Canvasbacks

DuckDown2013
AG
definitely look like divers for sure!
lazuras_dc
AG
Not sure how I missed this thread. Hoping to hunt week after Christmas. Gettin' the itch bad
CS78
River treasure!!!

Nothing like a good rain event to bring in the goods. Those feed buckets are prime for storing jug or trot lines.

txaggie02
AG
Not a bad solo evening hunt. Windy as hell. Water is way high (as in I had water come over the top of my waders getting to the X spot). Need it to go down soon so the birds will get almore concentrated. They are definitely chowing down on the acorns. Forgot how fun it is to shoot those little divers since we don't see many unless the river gets way up. They are fast!

Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Hell yes. Generally speaking, where at?

If you don't follow Kirk McCullough on social media then you need to. Go check out his post from today about the wooden boats that they made to fetch ducks in 10' of water.

Black jacks don't make very good table fare but they're fun to shoot. Hell they're all fun to shoot...I guess.
txaggie02
AG
East of College Station along the Navasota River. Private land.

Those blackjacks are fast as hell. Cool to see when 20 of them come through. Kind of the diver duck equivalent to teal.
Post removed:
by user
dr_boogs
AG
Nothing wrong with a strap of ring necks. As mentioned, they are a ton of fun to shoot and tough on steel shot. Hevi-shot or the more modern steel will work them over like any other duck though. Course I'm old enough to remember what it was like to shoot ducks with lead. Anyway, put those ringnecks in your sausage pile if you don't care for them as proper fare. Nice photos!
SanAntoneAg
AG
This morning was the first time to hit the duck lease this season. My daughter is home from Aggieland on break and she wanted to go too. She had the hot hand this morning, did a great job with her 20 gauge.

Yeah, two smileys.

water turkey
mneisch
AG
6 men only managed 4 birds and a bonus goose on private land near Palacios this morning. We just weren't where they wanted to be.
Stormchaser
AG
Hunting wheat fields east of Dallas on my pup's first hunt. https://imgur.com/zuJtgKG
giddings_ag_06
AG
mneisch said:

6 men only managed 4 birds and a bonus goose on private land near Palacios this morning. We just weren't where they wanted to be.

I flew to Idaho to not be where the birds wanted to be. I know the feeling.
PharmD4
AG
Stormchaser said:

Hunting wheat fields east of Dallas on my pup's first hunt.

Nice
FirefightAg
AG
Headed out. Gonna need a little wind
Stormchaser
AG
https://imgur.com/QI5j2gm If it flies it dies today. lol My pup's second hunt and I am real happy so far.
TexasAg2017
AG
Figured this might be a good place to start. Anyone familiar with a guide/outfitter around houston/matagorda area that does 2 man hunts? I'm looking to book a crane or goose hunt for my dad for his birthday.
FirefightAg
AG
Not bad of course three mallards drop in when we are grabbing stuff to walk to the truck.

DuckDown2013
AG
Smacked em this weekend with Duman08!
PharmD4
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

Can confirm! Those were some impressive bags.
water turkey
There is a guide I follow on Facebook named Jake Huddleston who hunts out if Seadrift area and really stacks up the birds. He offers duck, goose and crane.

I am planning a hunt with him in January.
TexasAg2017
AG
I'm gonna give him a call at lunch
PharmD4
AG
Didn't grab many pics from the RCWMA hunt this past weekend, but it was a great time. The sheer number of ducks out there is mind-blowing, and the soundtrack of ducks in the mornings was unlike anything I've ever heard. I honestly saw more reachable pintail in two days than probably the rest of my 24 years of hunting combined.

First day, patiently limited on drake medium-big ducks. Second day, limit by 7:00 and packed up for the trip home. Great trip overall.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nice hunt! Love me some chocolate heads
FirefightAg
AG
What cell were y'all in?
PharmD4
AG
21. Got to meet DUMan and DuckDown out there. They worked em over pretty good.

Funny how small the waterfowl community seems sometimes. I ran into several people I knew from all over.
PharmD4
AG
We did have another group set up in our cell on Friday. They had already thrown out dekes etc, so we just let it ride and had them move before the Sunday hunt. In hindsight, it definitely costed us some opportunities with ill-timed shots flaring our working birds.

Wasn't really that big of a deal--they were nice enough guys. Just hard to wrap my head around how that's even possible with the amount of resources and technology available.
DUman08
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

Was a great time a quiet a few Ags hunting the Richland Chambers WMA. This was my first time hunting public land in long time but they have a good system going with draw hunts.
I will be putting in for the draw again next year.

DuckDown2013
AG
""
action shot of DUman
""
Day 1
""
Day 2
FirefightAg
AG
That place is pretty neat. Lots and lots of habitat. It was just way to overrun with hunters when it was a free for all with only 1-2 drawn hunts a year. Now it's youth only or drawn hunts and while I don't get to hunt it anymore unless I'm drawn I'm ok with that. I actually pushed to have limited access even if it meant no access for me. And it looks like it's turning into an amazing place.

When it was wild and open on a first come first serve there were just too many people and the birds were so pressured. They couldn't get stacked up in there and even if there were a ton of birds the tight groups of hunters would always flare birds. This you'd see a ton and kill very few.
aggiebonzo
AG
Would like to apply for a drawn hunt next year. Anyone have information on when the application opens and the deadlines?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.