Outdoors
Sponsored by

***** Waterfowl Season 2018 - 19 *****

40,342 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gonemaroon
FSGuide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mneisch said:

I really want to shoot some cranes, but can't bring myself to essentially pay $100/bird for a guided hunt.

The place we went was $375 per person. That includes lodging the night before the hunt. Breakfast & lunch day of the hunt plus they processed our birds. Another good thing is that if you get a wounded bird that runs, they chase it down. I didn't have to run my fat ass through the soft dirt & harvested corn stubble to do it.
FSGuide
Here are some pics from my hunt. The trailer is hydraulic. Once the guides get it in place each morning they lower it to the ground and cover the tires with extra tumbleweeds. It was long enough inside that we had 11 hunters, 2 guides, a Labrador and one of the guides dads (as an observer) inside and it wasn't too crowded. We could probably had 2-3 more people in there and still be able to shoot comfortably.

[url=https://imgur.com/BkdrfKv][/url]
txaggie02
AG
Not a bad quick hunt this evening. Got in the water at 5:10. Couldn't get away from work. Slipped up and accidentally shot the Suzie in the same shot as one of the greenheads. Another efficient hunt though with 6 ducks in 9 shots. Birds are loving what they are seeing and decoying great.

saltydog13
AG
Just curious, what do you shoot since the birds you hunt are typically feet down in the decoys. 20 gauge or less?
txaggie02
AG
12 gauge. I'm fat and don't have a dog. Not chasing ducks through the water. I want them dead before they hit the water. 80-90% of the ducks I shoot are locked up about 10-12' over the decoys. I carefully choose the ducks I shoot at. Probably let a lot of birds go that most folks would shoot at. Just because I like to be in their kitchen when I pull the trigger. Makes it more challenging.

Not to mention that for ethical purposes, I'd never really even consider less than a 12 gauge for ducks.
mneisch
AG
Final hunt of the season was really good. We managed a 5 man limit of mostly bluewings with some spoonies mixed in.

txaggie02
AG
Had another good shoot in the flooded timber with a great friend, Big Shu, this evening. Birds flew really late, but still managed to get him a couple wall hangers. Couldn't find a 2-3 birds which would have given us our limits, but I'm sure we will find them in the morning. They dropped in some really thick brush pretty late in the evening and I think both were greenheads. Gonna give em hell again in the morning for the last time this season. Hard to believe it's almost over. Seems like it just started.

giddings_ag_06
AG
Good luck fellas on the last day!!
mneisch
AG

Buddy took some video from our last hunt.
FirefightAg
AG
What a bust to close out he season

agfan2013
AG
One more than I got, was skunked this afternoon.

But was still nice to get outside and enjoy the outdoors after a busy weekend. Didn't get to hunt as much this season, hopefully I'll get back on track for the next one.
DuckDown2013
AG
So long to the 2018-2019 season. 89 birds for me on the season. I hunted more than I ever have and this season ranks only 5th on total ducks. HOWEVER, this was my most fun and challenging season to date. From public land grand slams to private land skunks, it doesn't get better than starting your day in a blind or against a tree. And the countdown to teal season begins!!
PharmD4
AG
Farewell 2018-19 season. Til next September...

Oruc Reis
AG
definitey a tough season... motivation wasn't real high with lack of birds. Managed to close the season with 3 pretty redheads between 4 of us in Rockwall county. Not a spectacular hunt but still memorable killing some birds I rarely see, and they were my pup's first 3 retrieves! He's gonna be a good one, can't wait until next year!!

gonemaroon
AG

Last week's hunt - lots of teal in the area still
gonemaroon
AG
Went up to North Platte River in Nebraska the week before the end of season - had a very slow week for the area, but still got a few here are some photos. Weather wasn't cold enough to get the birds to feed heavily.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.