Outdoors
Sponsored by

***** Waterfowl Season 2018 - 19 *****

40,376 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gonemaroon
Dale Earnhardts Stache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decent morning in OK. 3 guys ended up with 11. We went in blind and set up in the wrong spot. Tons of birds in the area. Mallards, pintail, and teal.

Pintail hen with some bling bling too!
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
saltydog13
AG
Good looking wigeon and good solo hunt
ttha_aggie_09
AG
4 man limit

Waders leaked the whole time... I'm still shaking
saltydog13
AG
What are the big ducks on either end? I can't see it that well on my phone
ttha_aggie_09
AG
2 fulvous whistling ducks, my first
CS78
ttha_aggie_09 said:

2 fulvous whistling ducks, my first
Nice birds. The black belly population has exploded but fulvous haven't followed suit. Got in to them thick in Sabine NWR bout 20 years ago and don't think Ive seen one since.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
From what I understand they're actually pretty rare to shoot on the upper coast in season. Normally gone by season opener, so I am told.
PharmD4
AG
Solid opener! 4 gads, 3 widgeon, 3 GWT between the two of us. We only missed 2 ducks and called the hunt at 0800 to make it to kickoff on time.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
third coast.. said:

did you used to be firefight ag or something like that? if not, i wonder where that guy went.

Negative. I've seen him post recently (I think). He hunts the panhandle, if I am not mistaken. I'm down south around El Campo
mneisch
AG
3 guys managed 5 ducks this morning. 3 BWT, mallard drake and a rudy. Birds were moving well at first light but slowed down significantly once the wind kicked up. Saw lots of geese considering how early it is.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
wgk
AG
Not a bad hunt in South Dakota.
saltydog13
AG
Public or private? Not asking location or spot, just curious.
AgBQ-00
AG
Was good to get out this morning. Saw a few birds but none ever came into the spread. Guy in the access point when we got there this morning said he and 10 buddies each got 2 pintail the day before . Was afraid it would be slow today when I heard that. It was. The wind was wrong for the location we could set up in and just not many flying in the area. But was the dogs first hunt and it turned into a great training session. Always good to get out in the field
FrontPorchAg
Slow morning on the duck front. Only 1 green wing (and a mallard I missed because he came in too close. I would have had better odds beating him to death with the butt of my shotgun)
Doesn't matter though it was a great morning with the pup and her second retrieve.

If anyone is in the Reno/Carson City area the Goose migration arrived this morning. I saw about 300-400 Ross and Canadas come through this morning. All flying too high. They seem to be loafing around the Carson Valley.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
hurricanejake02
AG
Had geese down near Port Lavaca this weekend, but they weren't interested in anything we had to offer. Seemed that this front blew most of the teal out - the ones we did shoot were definitely more mature birds that we were shooting last weekend. Had more water than we expected after the howling north wind on Friday, which gave us more options to hunt on Saturday. Ended up with a full strap by about 9am - couple BWT and GWT, but mostly gads and widgeon.

Nice shot of the dog that my buddy got for me:
Preacher 98
Saturday was 3-man limit before 7 am in Matagorda County
PharmD4
AG
Public. With the exception of a few river hunts, I hunt all WMAs and national refuges.
PharmD4
AG
Anyone hunting the cold front this week? I took off Wednesday morning after I saw the forecast. Looks like temps in the 20s for Central Texas.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I wish... in Oklahoma the day I can hunt and then chasing deer this weekend.
Panfish
AG
Opening weekend in South Louisiana. Things were much better than we were expecting. When we went out last weekend to work on our blinds, we saw mostly Teal, some Mottled ducks, and not much else. Pleasantly surprised this weekend with the number of ducks and the mixture of our bag.

5 of us went out Saturday morning and came up 1 short of limiting out. We had to hunt until about 11:00 to get that. Mixed bag of GWT, BWT, Gadwall, Wigeon, Scaup, and 1 Ringneck.

[img][/img]

Same bunch hunted Sunday morning and came up 3 short of limiting. I had to leave early, but this was my contribution: GWT, BWT, Gadwall, Redhead, and Scaup

[img][/img]
giddings_ag_06
AG
Hunted flooded timber and saw about a dozen. Only 3 were shootable and just barely. Dog got his first live duck hunt action though.

KW02
AG
Anyone have a spice mix or recipe for duck sausage?
KW02
AG

Mixed bag - 3 man limit
DUman08
AG
Those are some good looking Fulvuos whistlers. I hope you get one on the wall. They usually haul azz around us during teal season.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think I am going to mount one. I saved both just in case.
DUman08
PharmD4
AG
Slow morning...1 gad, 1 GWT.

But as always with the outdoors, I experienced something completely new. In my 24 years of duck hunting, I've never heard wigeon being so vocal. Several times, we heard them well before we saw them, often pretty far away. Pretty easy call to imitate with a whistle.
jrbaggie
Pharm, I like the Delta cap. Where around Central Texas do you hunt. I'm in Leon County. My son was deer hunting this afternoon and got about 100 Mallards off our pond. Very early for us to have Mallards. Planning a hunt now!
PharmD4
AG
As far as "central Texas", I'm normally anywhere between Lee and San Jacinto. Actually got drawn for Richland Creek in December. Otherwise, I'm in the coast in Jefferson.
DUman08
AG
When in December myself and couple Ags were drawn also Dec 14-16th.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.